Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I wanna know how they filmed the time lapse in the Cinnabon and I hope the answer is as simple as I think and it was just "Let's make Bob Odenkirk do a shift at a Cinnabon"

They mention in the podcast that it's about 25 minutes of footage of Bob Odenkirk working with a few Cinnabon employees and a bunch of extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have to say that what I was most looking forward to was the Further Adventures of Gene the Manager. And now we probably won't see him again until the opening of next season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drunken officeparty posted:

I know the answer is "because the tv people don't want to do it", but couldn't that tape get Saul disbarred at least? It doesn't need to be criminally provable to do that as far as I know

There is so much wriggle room for Jimmy on just the contents of the tape it's basically useless even if it wasn't inadmissable - from memory I'm pretty sure you can hear Jimmy in exasparation say,"FINE! I switched the numbers, does that make you happy!?!" which combined with Chuck having just temporarily lost his power of attorney (is that the right term?) just makes it more likely that Jimmy was humoring his older brother who is slowly losing his mind.

Chuck knows it too, as that scene with Howard indicates. I think that others are right with their read that he is trying to get word of the tape's existence to Jimmy through third parties so that Jimmy does something stupid and illegal enough to get himself disbarred. Either that or he'll just play it to Kim as part of his ongoing effort to prove that Jimmy cannot be trusted as a lawyer.

Anyway, I love this show, Michael McKean is amazing and part of the appeal is that Chuck is justified in many ways in his concerns/complaints about Jimmy but he's also an incredibly selfish, myopic rear end in a top hat who wants to keep his brother "where he belongs" as a drone/low level grunt who is inferior to Chuck "the Good Son" McGill.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Anyway, I love this show, Michael McKean is amazing and part of the appeal is that Chuck is justified in many ways in his concerns/complaints about Jimmy but he's also an incredibly selfish, myopic rear end in a top hat who wants to keep his brother "where he belongs" as a drone/low level grunt who is inferior to Chuck "the Good Son" McGill.

I think there's just the sibling rivalry too, given the scene with their mother's death in the hospital. That could be interpreted as a "favorite son" approach that could have great effect on Chuck.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the thread hates Chuck with a passion, but I can't imagine the show without him. He's such a rat bastard and Michael McKean's performance is fantastic.

We love to hate him. He's the best actor on the show and is an amazing foil (:rimshot:) for Jimmy.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Apparently I don't find Mike screwing and unscrewing gas caps quite as fascinating as other people seem to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it was boring and overly confusing due to the complete lack of dialogue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t have trouble following it, but it was overly long.

P.S.: click that cap, Mike. You don’t want the CEL to illuminate because the emissions system is compromised (almost certainly not a thing on a car that old).

Why does Mike eat one of the loudest snacks known to man as he stakes‐out his own car?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe you guys should actually pay attention and turn off your phones so you can figure out what Mike is doing.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I didn't have any trouble figuring out what Mike was doing.

I wonder what the overlap is between people who didn't understand Mike's plan in this episode and people who thought it was a stretch for Jesse to be able to figure out Walt's ricin deception.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's really clear that the seven minute or whatever scene of him tearing apart his job car was to find out how the messenger knew he was there, i.e. a tracker. Then he finds the tracker and gets the model number so he can figure out how it works and get a system of his own. Never mind, this poo poo was exposited for half the loving episode and if you're too smoothbrained to get it, don't complain and make yourself look somehow dumber.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Everyone understood "mike tracker replace trick". Nobody was like huh what is that thing??? But the exact doings were shot confusingly (not necessarily a bad thing). It's assumed this show is smart enough that they wouldn't just TV magic weird impossible poo poo so you know there is a logical answer but you have to dig for it because it doesn't explain it to you.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Was there a tracker in both cars? If not, how come they didn't notice the car had changed?

Data Graham posted:

So the gas cap in his station wagon was bugged, but he bought another gas cap for the Caprice and ... that one was also bugged? I got lost in there. How many gas caps are involved here?

Tenzarin posted:

Its a flashdrive?

Data Graham posted:

I'm still missing something about the gas caps.

He asked for a cap for a Caprice, which I assume is what the "job" car is (the station wagon). But his personal car is a Chrysler. Which car did he buy the cap from the guy for? Why would he need another one for the job car?

lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The new hot theory making the rounds: Ernesto = Gustavo

Discuss

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Lung cancer

Inoperable

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

The new hot theory making the rounds: Ernesto = Gustavo

Discuss

Considering they hired Giancarlo Esposito for this show...no

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I didn't understand what Mike was doing with the tracker in his second sequence (I do now). I'll have to take other people's word for it that watching him screw and unscrew a gas cap fifty times is way more interesting if you understand why.

It's funny, though; I listened to the first half of the podcast on the way to work and was reminded that in the podcasts, Vince REALLY doesn't seem like a guy who trusts the audience to figure anything out. He felt the need to explain that a closed department store looks different from an open department store, after expounding on the elaborate tricks used to make it appear the store was open. And I know it's not the first time he's explained stuff that's insultingly obvious.

(Cue someone saying the tracker stuff was insultingly obvious. It wasn't. Lots of people didn't understand it. Everyone understands what a closed department store looks like.)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The tracker stuff was insultingly obvious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In my tepid defense, in the very first shot in which we see the gas cap (when he opens the filler door briefly and then moves on), I noted that the gas cap looked clean and new and had raised white lettering, and I thought right then that "that seems a bit odd for a car that old".

I really got thrown off by his asking the junkyard owner about buying a gas cap apparently. I was like, what, does he suspect the junkyard guy of selling the cartel a gas cap that they could bug? Was the station wagon a Caprice? Oh that was all a red herring fuuuuck :saddowns:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The only way it could have been more obvious would have Mike had gone to he vet and said:
"hey I found this tracking device on my car that some bad guys put there, which I realized after seeing generic gas caps for sale at a junkyard, can you get me a tracking device except I'll have the receiver so I can see where the bad guys go? I'm going to trick them into taking it by running the battery down on their tracking device so when they come to replace it, it will actually be my tracking device instead of theirs. Then I'm going to take their replacement tracking device and put it in my front yard, so they'll think I'm still at home, but I'll be tracking them with my tracking device that I had tricked them into taking."
"Ok, what kind of tracking device is it?"
"Well you see, after I found the tracking device, I looked at it under a magnifying glass. On the label it had the model number, but it also said transmitter in big words. the words weren't really big, they just looked that way because I was using a magnifying glass. If I want to trick the bad guys and follow them to their bad guy hideout I need to know what kind of tracking device system they use, so I would like you to buy a tracking device system from you, the man who does illegal things for me for money"
"Ok, also I would like extra money because it is late at night, specifically 3:30am, a time which most people understand to be late at night and I would not prefer to be awake this late at night, I would like to be asleep, as is customary for most people to do at 3:30am, a late at night time"
"Ok here is your extra money for being up late at night and also getting this illegal tracking device system for me. I am not attempting to negotiate this extra rate because I have a lot of money and finding the bad guys is very important to me"
"Thank you for the extra money, now I would like to go because it is late at night"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only part I didn't get immediately was what he was going to do when they came by to check on the tracker. Like when I saw him sitting there eating walnuts in the dark I figured he was just going to jump them or something, but then I remembered the other tracker he bought.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

In my tepid defense, in the very first shot in which we see the gas cap (when he opens the filler door briefly and then moves on), I noted that the gas cap looked clean and new and had raised white lettering, and I thought right then that "that seems a bit odd for a car that old".

I really got thrown off by his asking the junkyard owner about buying a gas cap apparently. I was like, what, does he suspect the junkyard guy of selling the cartel a gas cap that they could bug? Was the station wagon a Caprice? Oh that was all a red herring fuuuuck :saddowns:

It's not a red herring, he was finding out if his gas cap was standard enough to be found at a random junkyard.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

King Vidiot posted:

The only part I didn't get immediately was what he was going to do when they came by to check on the tracker. Like when I saw him sitting there eating walnuts in the dark I figured he was just going to jump them or something, but then I remembered the other tracker he bought.

He was eating pistachios you moron. loving idiot.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Visual style in BCS (and Breaking Bad) is dictated by character(s).

Mike is a quiet, slow paced, methodical, menacing guy. Scenes of him doing stuff on his own are going to be slow paced and methodical. They could have shot the scene of Mike figuring out the bug and using it to make a trap of his own in smash cuts like in Hot Fuzz or Evil Dead, but it wouldn't have felt like we were watching Mike any more.

Most shows have a consistent visual style regardless of character or often even what is specifically happening in the plot. This makes a show feel familiar to an audience but the side effect is that it feels generic. BCS is better than that. Whether you actually ENJOY the visual styles presented is entirely up to you of course.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

Mike is a quiet, slow paced, methodical, menacing guy. Scenes of him doing stuff on his own are going to be slow paced and methodical. They could have shot the scene of Mike figuring out the bug and using it to make a trap of his own in smash cuts like in Hot Fuzz or Evil Dead, but it wouldn't have felt like we were watching Mike any more.

I love how drat tactile all of Mike's stuff is. Both shows have always been pretty on-the-nose about people building/changing/making poo poo, but the slow and careful way he just dismantles the whole car was fantastic.

Not quite as :3:: as him building a stinger with his granddaughter though.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
It took me to my season 2 rewatch to realize why Mike washed his nail-hose after drilling they holes. I thought it was to remove excess plastic from the holes

It was to remove his and Kaylee's fingerprints

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's not a red herring, he was finding out if his gas cap was standard enough to be found at a random junkyard.

Because someone who was willing to pay a thousand bucks for a tracking device, hide it in your car and follow you into the wilderness to stop you from sniping someone would only do so if they could buy a generic gas cap instead of having to go to the dealership?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Because someone who was willing to pay a thousand bucks for a tracking device, hide it in your car and follow you into the wilderness to stop you from sniping someone would only do so if they could buy a generic gas cap instead of having to go to the dealership?

The thousand bucks was only the service charge. The tracking device was an additional cost to be determined once it was sourced and delivered.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The only issue I can think of with the tracker thing is that Mike spent almost a full day at a junkyard, which I would think the people tracking him might find suspicious when suddenly the tracker goes dead the next day. Maybe they just assume he didn't find it since he doesn't destroy it but that seems a little obtuse for the Gus we know and love (assuming it's him).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Maybe it was so he'd have a replacement one when he ditched the one with the tracker in it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Colonel Whitey posted:

The only issue I can think of with the tracker thing is that Mike spent almost a full day at a junkyard, which I would think the people tracking him might find suspicious when suddenly the tracker goes dead the next day. Maybe they just assume he didn't find it since he doesn't destroy it but that seems a little obtuse for the Gus we know and love (assuming it's him).

It's not hard to picture how this all looks to whoever is tracking Mike:

day 1: Tracker#1- desert to junkyard (Mike has disposed of the job car)
night 1: Tracker 2# - Mike's home to toll both (Just an ordinary night)
night ?: Tracker 2# - Mike's home ( Battery low, send replacement)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Colonel Whitey posted:

He left the job car at the junkyard, so it doesn't matter how long he was there, there's no tracker on Mike's body

edit: beaten

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Whitey posted:

They definitely knew he was going to scrap that car so I don't think stopping at a junkyard would be that suspicious. The tracker going out on his personal car would be suspicious, but that's why he hooked up the radio, to slow-drain the battery. If he just ripped the battery out it would have been much more obvious.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

GobiasIndustries posted:

They definitely knew he was going to scrap that car so I don't think stopping at a junkyard would be that suspicious. The tracker going out on his personal car would be suspicious, but that's why he hooked up the radio, to slow-drain the battery. If he just ripped the battery out it would have been much more obvious.

He slow-drained the battery over the course of what appeared to be about a day, which seems suspicious unless you think the guys tracking him would just assume it was a lovely battery. I guess it's true there's no way to know that he actually spent the day at the junkyard if you assume they have no secondary surveillance and think that they just assumed he took a cab home and never left his house that day. Probably a fine assumption.

I don't have a problem with any of this, I'm not the type of person who likes to look for plot holes and insignificant discrepancies. It's just a testament to how airtight this show is that this is the only kind of stuff you can nitpick, and even then it's still pretty solid.

E: does anyone know what article Banks is referring to at the end of the podcast? Sounds like it was written by a total blowhard idiot, I'd love to read it.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It might be kind of suspicious that the tracker moves inside Mike’s house while he works on it, but generic GPS receivers weren’t as accurate in 2002, and they’d have to be paying pretty close attention to notice anyway, so eh.

RJWaters2 posted:

It took me to my season 2 rewatch to realize why Mike washed his nail-hose after drilling they holes. I thought it was to remove excess plastic from the holes

It was to remove his and Kaylee's fingerprints

But why would he care if the rhododendrons out back have his fingerprints? :confused:

Colonel Whitey posted:

He slow-drained the battery over the course of what appeared to be about a day, which seems suspicious unless you think the guys tracking him would just assume it was a lovely battery. I guess it's true there's no way to know that he actually spent the day at the junkyard if you assume they have no secondary surveillance and think that they just assumed he took a cab home and never left his house that day. Probably a fine assumption.

The battery already low before he started intentionally draining it. There’s a flashing low battery warning on the tracker’s screen when he first turns it on.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 12, 2017

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The battery already low before he started intentionally draining it. There’s a flashing low battery warning on the tracker’s screen when he first turns it on.

No. The low battery that flashed on the screen was for the tracker Mike bought. It shows low battery only after Mike removes the battery from it, then the signal is lost.

I don't know why this is giving people so much trouble.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You guys got this solved yet?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Last Chance posted:

You guys got this solved yet?

It's not even a complicated thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mallratcal posted:

No. The low battery that flashed on the screen was for the tracker Mike bought. It shows low battery only after Mike removes the battery from it, then the signal is lost.

I don't know why this is giving people so much trouble.

Okay, that’s what I thought initially, but I changed my interpretation of it after the radio shenanigans.

Forgive me for not rewatching five minutes of Mike playing with a fifteen‐year‐old prop.

• Locked thread