Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

It all depends who they get to write it. The main writer for Arise, Tow Ubukata, has almost nothing else under his belt. Kazuchika Kise, who was the chief director for 3/4 of Arise hasn't directed anything other than Arise and is primarily an artist.

In contrast, the new GitS project is going to be headed by Kenji Kamiyama, who was a writer and director on all of SAC (including 2nd Gig and SSS) and Shinji Aramaki, who directed the visually excellent (some may disagree) Appleseed, Appleseed Ex Machina, and Appleseed Alpha.

My major problem with Aramaki isn't that he's got an unique style (especially with transforming motorcycles) or he uses CG. It's that the writing on the Appleseed films is poor. Like, how many times are you going to trot out those spider gun platforms? I mean, the last book had a giant robot power armor piloted by a cyborg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shinji Aramaki did not write any of the Appleseed films. Alpha is the weakest, for the reason you state. Its's a really dull retcon preboot.

Appleseed (2004) was written by Haruka Handa and Tsutomu Kamishiro. Neither one has done any particularly notable work.

Appleseed Ex Machina (2007) was written by Kiyoto Takeuchi and Todd Weinger. again, not particularly notable.

Appleseed Alpha (2014) was written by Marianne Krawczyk, the (former) lead writer for the God of War games.

Considering that, I am not worried about Shinji Aramaki's involvement with GitS at all, since he wasn't involved in the parts of Appleseed that were lame.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I would like to see something new in the GITS verse. You know just saying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I would like to see something new in the GITS verse. You know just saying.

Yeah, it would be really cool to do a new story and not a treatment of an old one.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The remakes will continue until ratings improve!

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
A live action American GITS set in the American Empire would be fine. It was them who created 2501 anyway, and they have a big part in a bunch of the plots of GITS. Then you don't even need to make excuses about how you decided to put the main characters brain in a white lady after you couldn't get the Asian one you wanted.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A live action American GITS set in the American Empire would be fine. It was them who created 2501 anyway, and they have a big part in a bunch of the plots of GITS. Then you don't even need to make excuses about how you decided to put the main characters brain in a white lady after you couldn't get the Asian one you wanted.

cosmic, my friend, that movie would have exactly as little excuse for not featuring a POC star as any other North American film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

"We heard your complaints about whitewashing and we decided the best way to fix it was to move the sequel to a different continent, an even bigger sweeping change to the narrative just to avoid having an asian star. The greater the lengths we go to the more okay it is, right?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
No if they did a full out US remake of it like The Magnificent Seven or The Departed I wouldn't care as much about who they cast as the Kusanagi equivalent character. But if it's in the US I'd obviously also expect a very diverse cast overall.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Move it to south Africa, have all characters be white Afrikaans-speaking people.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mithaldu posted:

Move it to south Africa, have all characters be white Afrikaans-speaking people.

Yolandi as the Major and Ninja as Batou?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It must be a godammned nightmare doing an adaptation and finding a balance between making the text novel and fresh and constructing a space within it where you can express yourself artistically but not going so far as to lose those aspects that made the original so memorable. Especially if the project is being pushed by producers and you only get called in to work on one aspect or one stage of the production. It must especially suck for those writers who get called in to make another pass at a script knowing that several guys have already tried and failed and no matter how much blood sweat and tears they put into their version of the script it's also likely to get dumped.

.... and then there's projects like I, Robot which started out as a totally unrelated scifi murder mystery but then the studio got the licence to Asimov's books and went "Oh, just change the title and make a few nods to the books if you can and we'll just say that it was 'inspired' by Asimov's work." And then they hired Will Smith to star in it so they brought in a new scriptwriter to rewrite it to suit him and the guy who originally came up with the script and developed it for years and years with several studios ended up with just a "screen story by" credit, and the original idea he came up with a decade before the movie came out never got made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wasn't the original guy's concept for I, Robot also that it would function as like an intro the setting of an eventual Neuromancer movie? It really will never get made.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

No if they did a full out US remake of it like The Magnificent Seven or The Departed I wouldn't care as much about who they cast as the Kusanagi equivalent character. But if it's in the US I'd obviously also expect a very diverse cast overall.

Right - that's what K.Waste is mocking . It's not about 'whitewashing' at all, but about unexamined notions of (in this case) ethno-national purity.

This means Japanese characters belong in Japan, and Japanese characters do not belong in America because America is multicultural and therefore Japanese identity is subordinate to American identity. It is even more regressive!

Authentic criticism of whitewashing would involve asking: why can't David Fincher's Seven have an all-Asian cast? Why can't Epic Movie? Authentic criticism would also celebrate the 'progressive' casting in movies that you dislike - like Catwoman or Ballistic: Ecks Versus Sever. This never happens because, again, the complaints are actually based on weird psychosexual hangups and not any sort of egalitarian project.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

K. Waste posted:

cosmic, my friend, that movie would have exactly as little excuse for not featuring a POC star as any other North American film.

Umm... You could have POC star? Hell, you could have a black star and it would make more sense than having a white lady leading a Japanese special forces team.

And you could go on about how ethno national purity makes it more racist to have your actors playing their actual races instead of putting asian brains in white bodies but I don't buy that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right - that's what K.Waste is mocking . It's not about 'whitewashing' at all, but about unexamined notions of (in this case) ethno-national purity.

This means Japanese characters belong in Japan, and Japanese characters do not belong in America because America is multicultural and therefore Japanese identity is subordinate to American identity. It is even more regressive!

Authentic criticism of whitewashing would involve asking: why can't David Fincher's Seven have an all-Asian cast? Why can't Epic Movie? Authentic criticism would also celebrate the 'progressive' casting in movies that you dislike - like Catwoman or Ballistic: Ecks Versus Sever. This never happens because, again, the complaints are actually based on weird psychosexual hangups and not any sort of egalitarian project.

True, my expecting a diverse cast in a film set in a diverse place is a weird psychosexual hangup.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The expectation that any North American film productions will be very diverse overall is empirically incompatible with the U.S. being a white supremacist, capitalist oligarchy. Ghost in the Shell is just a movie. It is commercial film production (and capitalism) overall which is utilitarian-rationalist, racist, sexist, ageist, and ableist.

Umm... You could have POC star? Hell, you could have a black star and it would make more sense than having a white lady leading a Japanese special forces team.

And you could go on about how ethno national purity makes it more racist to have your actors playing their actual races instead of putting asian brains in white bodies but I don't buy that.

You are confusing the issue. Nobody has claimed that casting an Asian-American in a starring role is "more racist." What is being claimed is that the speculation about how geographical changes could be used to minimize the controversy - specifically, the visibility of social and economic injustice - is emblematic of reactionary ideology.

Having a black star leading a Japanese special forces team only makes more sense than a white lady doing so if you read the signification of race as mutually exclusive from ideology. As with Power Rangers, what matters is what the characters stand for. Otherwise, what we're talking about is just reactionary assimilationism, in which case, the Other still occupies a fraught space that is unilaterally oppressed by dominant ideology.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The expectation that any North American film productions will be very diverse overall is empirically incompatible with the U.S. being a white supremacist, capitalist oligarchy. Ghost in the Shell is just a movie. It is commercial film production (and capitalism) overall which is utilitarian-rationalist, racist, sexist, ageist, and ableist.

True, that's just the way it is, no point even talking about or expecting better. Great job.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Neo Rasa posted:

True, that's just the way it is, no point even talking about or expecting better. Great job.

I did not say do not expect better and do not talk about it. I'm talking about it right now.

What I am pursuing is the radical breaking away of the conception of cinematic arts as forming relationships based on economic advantage and dependence, as opposed to creative and ideological solidarity.

Fetishizing celebrities does not cause socioeconomic justice to trickle down to the oppressed. We have to deal with it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

You are confusing the issue. Nobody has claimed that casting an Asian-American in a starring role is "more racist." What is being claimed is that the speculation about how geographical changes could be used to minimize the controversy - specifically, the visibility of social and economic injustice - is emblematic of reactionary ideology.

Having a black star leading a Japanese special forces team only makes more sense than a white lady doing so if you read the signification of race as mutually exclusive from ideology. As with Power Rangers, what matters is what the characters stand for. Otherwise, what we're talking about is just reactionary assimilationism, in which case, the Other still occupies a fraught space that is unilaterally oppressed by dominant ideology.

So I guess this is what's it like to post without any context, information, or coherence informing your points?

F&F is the most profitable franchise.

Minorities make up a disproportionately high percentage of movie goers.

Hollywood is currently riding a crest of financially successful minority helmed or starring movies.

It's EXACTLY compatible with a capitalist state, and the only reason you would say otherwise is to garner attention by being incredibly and obviously wrong. Also lol at using utilitarian-rationalist (two different ideologies really, though rationalist can mean a lot of things) and reactionary assimilationism, which is also incredibly not a thing, in the same post.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

The people who are critical of whitewashing absolutely do both of these, but the backlash is usually pretty severe and the criticism never gets any traction. It's come up recently with the Coen brother's new movie, the new Harry Potter thing, and Tim Burton being Tim Burton. But if Hollywood won't even cast Asian actors into ostensibly Asian roles, maybe getting them to cast Asian actors into neutral roles is a bridge too far for the moment.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

1) The film isn't set in Japan. It's set in Hong Kong.

2) Scarlett Johannson is playing her actual race. Ghost In the Shell 2017 is about a white woman. Race is not stored in your brain.

If you mean the character's 'actual' race, then Major's race - as Milky Moor pointed out - is 'Anime'. The major in 1995 is specifically designed to be a generic Asian-ish character who is mass-producible and easily marketable to Americans overseas. (Just swap the hairstyles!) If we were to merely translate the anime to live-action, Motoko Kusanagi would look like this:

Squinty posted:

The people who are critical of whitewashing absolutely do both of these, but the backlash is usually pretty severe and the criticism never gets any traction. It's come up recently with the Coen brother's new movie, the new Harry Potter thing, and Tim Burton being Tim Burton. But if Hollywood won't even cast Asian actors into ostensibly Asian roles, maybe getting them to cast Asian actors into neutral roles is a bridge too far for the moment.

Why are you dialing back your criticism? Going easy on them?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 12, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nsfw that poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you mean the character's 'actual' race, then Major's race - as Milky Moor pointed out - is 'Anime'. The major in 1995 is specifically designed to be a generic Asian-ish character who is mass-producible and easily marketable to Americans overseas. (Just swap the hairstyles!) If we were to merely translate the anime to live-action, Motoko Kusanagi would look like this:

Objectively wrong. They intentionally redesigned her for the 1995 movie to not look like this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

Objectively wrong. They intentionally redesigned her for the 1995 movie to not look like this.

If that was the intention, then they failed. Major's 'parents' are a multinational corporation called Megatech Body. Her race was custom-designed for sale in various markets.

We see an identical Woman sitting at a table in Hong Kong. Is that woman originally Chinese? And what is the puppetmaster's origin? It doesn't particularly matter. The advance of computerization is gradually wiping out nations and ethnic groups. These three characters all have the same race: Anime.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Puppet Master's body in the 95 movie was stolen from a local factory.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snak posted:

The Puppet Master's body in the 95 movie was stolen from a local factory.

Puppetmaster comes from 'the net' and chooses to incarnate as a blonde, blue-eyed, and pale-skinned Anime.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If that was the intention, then they failed. Major's 'parents' are a multinational corporation called Megatech Body. Her race was custom-designed for sale in various markets.

We see an identical Woman sitting at a table in Hong Kong. Is that woman originally Chinese? And what is the puppetmaster's origin? It doesn't particularly matter. The advance of computerization is gradually wiping out nations and ethnic groups. These three characters all have the same race: Anime.

Weird I feel like I've heard this line of thought somewhere...

http://perezhilton.com/2017-03-28-scarlett-johansson-gma-interview-ghost-in-the-shell-whitewashing-planned-parenthood-politics

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

K. Waste posted:

You are confusing the issue.

Having a black star leading a Japanese special forces team only makes more sense than a white lady doing so if you read the signification of race as mutually exclusive from ideology.

Except I was talking about an American GITS film being set in the American Empire, theoretically about sections 9's American Empire equivelent. So it wouldn't be a black person leading a Japanese special forces team, it would be an American leading an American team in a take on the GITS universe (Which I don't really see anything wrong with, as much as you can argue that the very act of American's making anything is inherently racist or whatever).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Right: Ghost In The Shell 2017 presents harsh criticism of white supremacist ideology, where white is the 'natural' default. The character tears her skin off at the end.

Ghost in the Shell 1995 did the same basic thing, by making the Satanic embodiment of the entire internet blonde, blue-eyed and extremely pale. The advance of computerization is gradually wiping out nations and ethnic groups. This is a bad thing. The internet is white supremacist.

The same point was made in the Transformers films. The aliens scanned the entire internet to form their identities, and emerged as American car commercials.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
An adaptation like Edge of Tomorrow would have done more to obscure the problem of whitewashing, and thus lessen the controversy. But it doesn't address the problem of how whitewashed cinema is.

It's funny how GITS doesn't even hides its cynicism, and the execs openly blame the whitewashing issue, yet people are coming up with ways to defend it and nonetheless muddy the waters.

Are we really, really, really sure ScarJo's character is really really Asian? :raise:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You're doing a better job of muddying waters by aggressively misrepresenting things.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

It's funny how GITS doesn't even hides its cynicism, and the execs openly blame the whitewashing issue, yet people are coming up with ways to defend it and nonetheless muddy the waters.

Nobody denies that there was a controversy, so I'm not sure what some executives recognizing that there was a controversy has to do with anything.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Echo Chamber posted:

You are confusing depiction with endorsement, and confusing the artwork with the corporation that produced it. Nobody is defending the corporation.

The 1995 and 2017 films both depict the character as a product of white supremacy. Neither film endorses white supremacy. (Except, perhaps, unwittingly in the case of the 1995 film.)

Ghost In the Shell 1995 predicted this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Shageletic posted:

So I guess this is what's it like to post without any context, information, or coherence informing your points?

F&F is the most profitable franchise.

Minorities make up a disproportionately high percentage of movie goers.

Hollywood is currently riding a crest of financially successful minority helmed or starring movies.

It's EXACTLY compatible with a capitalist state, and the only reason you would say otherwise is to garner attention by being incredibly and obviously wrong. Also lol at using utilitarian-rationalist (two different ideologies really, though rationalist can mean a lot of things) and reactionary assimilationism, which is also incredibly not a thing, in the same post.

Your post is weighted heavily by fallacy. F&F is just a movie. It being profitable does not trickle down to moviegoers. Rather, it fundamentally concentrates capital and the fruit of labor within a pre-established, classist hierarchy, which still lives and dies on the pretense of economic profitability, not justice.

Minorities making up a disproportionate number of consumers says nothing about their quality of life. This is akin to the right wing meme that 'Asian-Americans are more successful than white Americans!' Meanwhile, you can just go to any place where there is a high concentration of Asian-Americans and see that the struggle is real.

Assimilationism is conservative ideology, framing the acculturation of the Other as the logical, neutral progression of Manifest Destiny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Donnerberg posted:

I should see Speedracer since people talk warmly about it in this thread, but I've wanted a Hollywood version of Redline for a while now. I assume I'll be disappointed that Speedracer is not that. ...and I'm pretty sure if I wait a couple more years, Fast and Furious will be cars in space.

Speed Racer is a 'big screen, big sound' experience. It's eye-bleedingly colourful and some of the sound work in the races is pretty fantastic. It's also funny, has heart and an amusing business lecture towards the end...

I watched Redline and was very impressed by the animation but I don't recall much of the story, I've now overwritten it in my mind with an episode of Space Dandy which was basically the same thing (the title character Dandy even looks like the guy from Redline).

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, you sold me.

And Redline's story is just an excuse to have a ridiculous race, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speed Racer is fantastic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Donnerberg posted:

Okay, you sold me.

And Redline's story is just an excuse to have a ridiculous race, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Redline's plot is almost non-existent, but there are important things going on it it besides just looking cool. It's basically one big paean to cooperation, expressed through sci-fi racecars (and barely veiled references to orgasm. :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Snak posted:

Speed Racer is fantastic.

It's true and I go back to read Film Crit Hulk's view of it every now and again simply because they're basically a love story to the movie :3:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/03/27/film-crit-hulk-smash-speed-racer-as-artist

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/11/20/hulks-favorite-movies-speed-racer-2008

• Locked thread