Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Just like Fletcher Hanks.

Unrelated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I started reading Claremon't X-Men stuff today and the first issue did not disappoint

I enjoy Cyclops' face of "Wait a loving minute" while Professor X talks about his hair

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look man there is always time for small talk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Amazing X-Men #18: The X-Men (plus a depowered Cain Marko) have been trying to recover the Gem of Cyttorak before it can make a new Juggernaut but they've been beaten to the punch by the Living Monolith

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ruddiger posted:

Is this your first exposure to someone objectifying She Hulk?

Oh absolutely not, it's just this particular instance is so incredibly ham handed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman #315

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Selachian posted:

Just as a reminder, one of the running gags of Byrne's She-Hulk was him threatening to make her jump rope naked. (And it eventually did happen ... with the rope blurs covering up the Comics Code Authority-defying bits.)

Not really:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

ruddiger posted:

One of the best parts of Savage Dragon is that it takes place in real time with the real world, so you get crazy poo poo like Obama pardoning Dragon as one of his last acts in office, or this upcoming cover.

Why is like everyone in that picture knock-kneed?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

joehonkie posted:

Thigh gap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TwoPair posted:

Amazing X-Men #18: The X-Men (plus a depowered Cain Marko) have been trying to recover the Gem of Cyttorak before it can make a new Juggernaut but they've been beaten to the punch by the Living Monolith

I hope this ends with Monolith coming back and trying to cheer them up into fighting him 'Hey guys, are we doing this? It's just that, this juggernaut thing, I think its kind of going to be a high point for me, so if you could do me a solid and go a few rounds here that would mean a lot to me'.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Doesn't the Living Monolith only get huge if he locks Havok in a crystal coffin? Just break Alex out of his box, bingo. :D

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like how Spiderman beating Juggs by covering his eyeholes remains a sore point years later.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Spider-Man 2099 #22

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

SilverSupernova posted:

Spider-Man 2099 #22

His Password is just "RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS".

He changes the number of A's once a month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joehonkie posted:

Because Erik Larsen is not a very good artist.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

His Password is just "RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS".

He changes the number of A's once a month.

That's okay. Ziggy always knows how many A's to use.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Because Erik Larsen is not a very good artist.

i hope you're prepared for a several-post rant about how Erik Larsen was instrumental in creating the greatest artist-run publishing company in the business

meanwhile 90% of the comic reading public wonders "who the gently caress is Erik Larsen"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is Savage Dragon not in the Invincible Universe anymore or is the IU also the Our Universe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

i hope you're prepared for a several-post rant about how Erik Larsen was instrumental in creating the greatest artist-run publishing company in the business

meanwhile 90% of the comic reading public wonders "who the gently caress is Erik Larsen"
I guess I should be more fair: he is good at layouts and storytelling, but I think his actual drawing is pretty garbage.

And if people think starting an artist-run publishing company means they're a good artist, well, the title of the bad art thread should probably tell them you're wrong.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Squirrel Girl 19.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DigitalRaven posted:

That's okay. Ziggy always knows how many A's to use.
You have to slap the hand link a few times before she gets it right though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pureauthor posted:

I like how Spiderman beating Juggs by covering his eyeholes remains a sore point years later.

That's not really how it happened.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That's not really how it happened.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Didn't Spidey just trick him into trapping himself under a cement foundation at a construction site, or was there another fight I'm forgetting?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SilverSupernova posted:

Didn't Spidey just trick him into trapping himself under a cement foundation at a construction site, or was there another fight I'm forgetting?

There was another one, but Spider-man had help from Captain Universe.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Didn't spidey beat the hell out of Firestar or something?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't spidey beat the hell out of Firestar or something?

I think you might mean Firelord.

(You can't not cheer for Spidey during this storyline, even though there's no way it should have been able to happen.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2017

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I should be more fair: he is good at layouts and storytelling, but I think his actual drawing is pretty garbage.

And if people think starting an artist-run publishing company means they're a good artist, well, the title of the bad art thread should probably tell them you're wrong.

Considering he's been working on his book for 220+ consecutive issues, I'll just let the work and the volume speak for itself against some anonymous internet chest thumper.

Also, a shame the quality of the art is what's being discussed (personally I love Larsen's blend of Kirby, Sienkewicz and Simonson), and not the obvious (or not so obvious?) homage to a classic Marvel cover.

Look at all those knock-kneed figures! That Gil Kane, what a hack!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 12, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Captain America didn't believe in Spider-Man :(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

Captain America didn't believe in Spider-Man :(

To be fair, he's had to rescue Spidey from Carnage, a brainless clone and a lady juggalo once:

That was a really cool part of Maximum Carnage though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize that quantity of work was equivalent to quality, but whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't realize that quantity of work was equivalent to quality, but whatever.

The guy who writes the Detective Conan manga is now the best artist in existence

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Roth posted:

The guy who writes the Detective Conan manga is now the best artist in existence

92 volumes
:shittypop:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Hajime no Ippo is up to volume 114.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
One piece is also up there, so Larsen ain't even top three.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Larsen hasn't even passed up Dave Sim's 300 issue run on Cerebus you big dummies, but that doesn't mean he's not in good company or well on his way to surpassing some of those ranks. What other "poo poo" artist has a 200+ run on a book?

It's just crazy to me that his book's been running concurrently and consistently so long, that this character showed up a little over 18 years ago...

and is now headlining the book.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 12, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Larsen also gets props for being the only Image comics founding artist to release his books (mostly) on time and on schedule from day one, while every other artist was pumping out 3 or 4 books a year if they were lucky.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I picked up some of the big Savage Dragon collections via library loan. Some of these later stories with Malcolm are, uh, super weird.

(His and Maxine's "triplets" are actually Malcolm's children by three different women, one of whom is Maxine, and another is his step-sister. Also, Larsen takes liberties with Maxine's design to the point where I think she might actually be some kind of living cartoon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Im the abs on the baby