Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Finish crop rotation then handle etb effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Samut is kinda bad. I'd rather play Glory Bringer.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Elyv posted:

Story summary: Nissa and Chandra go on a stroll. On that walk, they talk to the Vizier of Poisons, who actually seems like a pretty chill lady. Also Nissa has a chat with the plane and figures out that Nicol Bolas didn't actually make the plane, he corrupted a few decades back and corrupted the all the things. Also the plane used to have 8 gods and now has 5 and the 5 remaining have lost their memories.

Also there's an incredibly awkward romantic passage between Nissa and Chandra that ends with Nissa friendzoning Chandra

I don't care, but you might

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

clamiam45 posted:

This flavor text is saying he knows things that only Kefnet knows?

You can parse it as "The initiates believe it possesses secrets, but they're wrong; in reality only Kefnet knows those secrets," which isn't actually a contradiction but is still awkward enough that I chalk it up to Bad Flavor Text Writing rather than any deliberate attempt to say something so convoluted

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You can't ever resolve another spell or effect in the middle of resolving a spell or effect. If a spell has you cast another spell, or triggers some other effect, that spell or effect goes on top of the stack, so it will be the first thing to start resolving once you finish resolving the current spell.

InterrupterJones posted:

You ungrateful bastards crying about the fake 20/20 already forgot that Standard already has a 20/20

Multiple ones, even.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The zombie is great and confirms BW zombies/embalm is an intended draft archetype.

Samut I think is just a mess, everything about her seems off. Like an activated ability that isn't for it's mutual enemy color, it's unusually asymmetrical. And whilst green gets vigilance I feel like GR shouldn't. And I get that haste on top of flash has a purpose because of the activated ability but it still seems strange.

But yeah, probably not good outside being a limited bomb where the white ability probably won't matter,

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I bet 90% of the reason she has that weird activated ability is to give her a white activated ability so she can be full Naya in EDH

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Entropic posted:

The untap ability on Kefnet seems like a really random addition, and the least useful part of the card.

What's with all the life-drain effects now saying "each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life" instead of "and you gain life equal to the life lost this way"? Are they really afraid of breaking stuff in casual formats?

Probably just because of exert. That guy is already keyword soup, so what's a pretty random, mechanically relevant ability on top of all that.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

You can't ever resolve another spell or effect in the middle of resolving a spell or effect. If a spell has you cast another spell, or triggers some other effect, that spell or effect goes on top of the stack, so it will be the first thing to start resolving once you finish resolving the current spell.

Multiple ones, even.

Outside of like Panglacial Wurm shenanigans

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I think Samut is kinda bad. I'd rather play Glory Bringer.

You play 4 Glory Bringers and 1 Samut to untap them. Vigilance is there for that!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Elyv posted:

I bet 90% of the reason she has that weird activated ability is to give her a white activated ability so she can be full Naya in EDH

Also because the exert mechanic is in Naya colors and the activated ability works with it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Elyv posted:

This guy gets it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Okay, now that we've seen the entire card, I know why this lady is so angry - She is pissed off that Wizards' approach towards mythic creatures seems to be "just throw keywords on top of it until you fill out the text box."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so uh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A better shattering spree.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This set wasn't good for affinity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Eh it's 50-50

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I don't think this will see modern play and I would still rather play Release the Gremlins in standard.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

It's for standard, duh!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Shattering spree destroys x artifacts, this destroys x-1 and doesn't dodge countermagic so it's not that clear.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

Shattering spree destroys x artifacts, this destroys x-1 and doesn't dodge countermagic so it's not that clear.

I think the mana makes up for that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this will see modern play and I would still rather play Release the Gremlins in standard.

Its not a clear cut card for modern but another its just another big hoser to add to the pile.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I feel like this was something else at one point in development, and when the complaints about a lack of relevant answers began rolling in they realized that the name and art were generic enough that they could turn it into artifact removal. Seems handy, at any rate.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This set seems good

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I would still rather play Release the Gremlins in standard.
If "XR: destroy X artifact" is less good than something already in Standard, it means that standard had already enough artifact hate.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

The only place Shattering Spree sees play is vintage before people realized they should just play Ingot Chewer. This is much better than Shattering Spree in vintage but they should still probably just play all 4 copies of big league chew before this.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I can see Shattering Spree having a resurgence in modern with the rising number of Chalices being played

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Not a cleric. :smith:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
no idea why yall are comparing that card to shattering spree when its real competitor is k-command

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Hey so will UR Prowess finally be good for Standard now?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

no idea why yall are comparing that card to shattering spree when its real competitor is k-command

K-command is much harder to put into a deck or a sideboard. Shattering spree is the perfect card to compare it to because decks that use shattering spree are the ones that would consider this.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

InterrupterJones posted:

Hey so will UR Prowess finally be good for Standard now?

Maybe UR spells, but there doesn't seem to be enough evasive or hasty creatures to make that work unless I've missed some spoilers.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

3UU
Creature -- Sphinx (rare)
Flying
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time each turn, counter that spell or ability.
Embalm 5UU
5/3

Man I like the idea of this card but it's so bad at blocking that it's hard to slot it into a deck.

I feel like it'd be better as a 3/5 than a 5/3.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Allstone posted:

No as in literally stuff only Kefnet knows is written on its wings. No guarantee the drake can read.

Wizards will try and fail to make a story sadder than the dragon who is used as a book, but himself can't read. Poor guy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

A clone with flashback is cool for EDH.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That's a pretty clunky clone but kind of neat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wonder how many drafts the rules text on Embalm Clone went through.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

That's a pretty clunky clone but kind of neat.

I have a hard time calling something at the same CMC as a vast majority of clones plus self recursion as a clunky one.

Now whether that is good outside limited is another story.
E: I guess I don't consider the white / zombie text much worth noting.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That embalm exception is more awkward than Chandra's pass at Nissa.

• Locked thread