Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I bought that set my last trip through. Definitively​ worth $15, has already come in handy a couple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't remember why I bought a set like that (can't remember the brand, got it at Ace, don't think it was Craftsman), but it came in handy when adjusting the valve clearance on my bike. It had a lock nut and an adjustment screw. Turning just the nut also turned the screw slightly. Those allowed me to pass a screwdriver through to hold the screw in place while tightening the nuts. Definitely was cheaper than the official adjustment tool.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Speaking of cheap tools, this weekend for easter Harbor Freight has a 25% off coupon on a single item. Go into the stores this week and you can pick one up. There are restrictions like no jacks, compressors, etc. but nice deal if you're planning a bigger tool purchase.

Of course. On that note, are their compressors any good or would I be better off buying anything else? I need something not huge for general use.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Which one specifically are you looking at?

Unless your willing to spend some serious cash $1000+, it's pretty hard to find a compressor that's not made in china.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

Which one specifically are you looking at?

Unless your willing to spend some serious cash $1000+, it's pretty hard to find a compressor that's not made in china.

I was just looking at the 3 gallon pancake or the 6 gallon one.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I can't speak directly about either of those compressors but my experience with oilless pancake compressors hasn't been good. I had a craftsman and a hitachi. They were ok for nailers and inflating small car tires but nothing else. No tools would run long enough to be useful and big tires like stock size pickup tires took way too long. I wound up giving both of them away out of frustration.

At a minimum I would grab their 8 gallon oil lubricated one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

rdb posted:

I can't speak directly about either of those compressors but my experience with oilless pancake compressors hasn't been good. I had a craftsman and a hitachi. They were ok for nailers and inflating small car tires but nothing else. No tools would run long enough to be useful and big tires like stock size pickup tires took way too long. I wound up giving both of them away out of frustration.

At a minimum I would grab their 8 gallon oil lubricated one.

Yeah, pancakes are nice for nailers and needing to haul it around the house but forget air tools. They are out of breath before you hit the second lug nut. That and the fact they are usually cheaply made will mean tripping your breaker at inconvenient times.

Anyone have Koken tools? Not that I really need anything, but my god their ratchet and socket selection is like tool sex.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, pancakes are nice for nailers and needing to haul it around the house but forget air tools.

I just bought a Paslode finish nailer because even hauling around a pancake with hose is a pain.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The HF 18gal works fine, and always seems to have the best coupons. Loud as hell, though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Of course. On that note, are their compressors any good or would I be better off buying anything else? I need something not huge for general use.

what do you mean by general use? nailer? garage work? pumping tires?

for nailers, you're almost better off skipping air completely and going cordless or paslode. i like my ryobi 18v cordless nailer.

pancakes aren't particularly good at anything other than being portable, and if they are oil free they are loud. maybe a small-ish but not pancake sized california air compressor is a good option, they are aluminum which helps the loudness issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

what do you mean by general use? nailer? garage work? pumping tires?

for nailers, you're almost better off skipping air completely and going cordless or paslode. i like my ryobi 18v cordless nailer.

pancakes aren't particularly good at anything other than being portable, and if they are oil free they are loud. maybe a small-ish but not pancake sized california air compressor is a good option, they are aluminum which helps the loudness issue.

Mainly garage work. Filling car tires, getting tubeless bike tires to seat properly, stuff like that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

fknlo posted:

getting tubeless bike tires to seat properly,.

That'll be pretty rough. You might be able to do it with the valve removed.
I am using an 80 gallon compressor at up to 150 psi and I have not been able to seat tubeless bicycle tires reliably or at all, really. It's not pushing enough air fast enough through the valve.
I keep CO2 cartridges and inflator around for seating the tires. After that, no problem with inflating.

(A lot depends on the tire and the rim, of course).

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 12, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Mainly garage work. Filling car tires, getting tubeless bike tires to seat properly, stuff like that.

ryobi makes a $20 cordless tire inflator that runs off 18v batteries and it's pretty great. much quieter than those lovely ones that you plug into your car's cigarette lighter adapter.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've used my HF pancake compressor a lot for filling tires. It works great for that. And if you just want to top a tire up with a few pounds, you can use it like a miniature portable air tank. No need to string hoses and extension cords everywhere. Well worth the $40 I paid.

Looking back I'd get the hotdog one because I think that shape would be slightly better than a pancake.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone have Koken tools? Not that I really need anything, but my god their ratchet and socket selection is like tool sex.

When I started my apprenticeship I got Koken 1/4" and 1/2" sets. The teeth aren't super fine but I have put my 1/4" ratchet through some hell and its never complained. IMHO nice weight and feel. Sockets are nice quality too.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

TotalLossBrain posted:

That'll be pretty rough. You might be able to do it with the valve removed.
I am using an 80 gallon compressor at up to 150 psi and I have not been able to seat tubeless bicycle tires reliably or at all, really. It's not pushing enough air fast enough through the valve.
I keep CO2 cartridges and inflator around for seating the tires. After that, no problem with inflating.

(A lot depends on the tire and the rim, of course).

You need a bigger fittings. The cheap 1/4" stuff isn't enough. I've seated motorcycle and car tires with my HF 30 gallon compressor, 3/8" fittings and the valve core removed. The oiled compressor, naturally. I hate oilless compressors.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bolind posted:

Wera screwdrivers for life. They're not even that expensive if you get a set on sale.

I bought a set and really like them. I've had good and bad screwdrivers and the Wera aren't revolutionary or anything but I wanted a matching set and they are very good.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The lasertip makes them such a pleasure to use compared to most others. My Vessel JIS screwdrivers (essential if you have bikes with Shimano parts) have a similar, but slightly less dramatic, treatment on the tips as well and they're also great.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

wallaka posted:

You need a bigger fittings. The cheap 1/4" stuff isn't enough. I've seated motorcycle and car tires with my HF 30 gallon compressor, 3/8" fittings and the valve core removed. The oiled compressor, naturally. I hate oilless compressors.
I once seated two motorcycle tires with extremely stiff sidewalls (Dunlop Q2's if anyone is into bieks) with a bicycle pump. I poo poo you not. I've changed hundreds of those things and it was always loving bitch to bead them with a compressor.

The moral of the story is gently caress a compressor, get a bicycle pump!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you're looking for a small, quiet, general duty compressor for around the average home garage- check out California Air Tools. I do not own one, but helped a few friends buy the larger 5CFM unit and they both love them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Also- I curse whoever said they bought the Snap-On wobble extensions. Well, my wallet curses you. My friends had a set for years and kept telling me to get a set and when I saw that post I found a set on eBay for $129 shipped NIB.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

Also- I curse whoever said they bought the Snap-On wobble extensions. Well, my wallet curses you. My friends had a set for years and kept telling me to get a set and when I saw that post I found a set on eBay for $129 shipped NIB.

Sorry but not sorry. Those are some of the best wobble extensions. I have tried a few and always came back to the snap on .

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

My brother the spyder talked me into yet another tool deal, bought one of these for my new house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AH1IIM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

185 bux really ain't bad for a USA made 6.5" vise!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
THEN WHY ARE YOU SO DEFENSIVE!?!?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fknlo posted:

When I bought my 240v 60gal, HF was shittier AND pricier than the Home Depot version.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any good small compressors that don't come with a tank? I already have a ~5 gallon tank, but I'm tired of mooching off friends' compressors or trying to use the gas station's.

This Black & Decker seemed neat since it can run off 12v and AC.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deeters posted:

Are there any good small compressors that don't come with a tank? I already have a ~5 gallon tank, but I'm tired of mooching off friends' compressors or trying to use the gas station's.

I avoid Black & Decker at all costs

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

If you're looking for a small, quiet, general duty compressor for around the average home garage- check out California Air Tools. I do not own one, but helped a few friends buy the larger 5CFM unit and they both love them.

Any real difference to pick either one of these over the other? Single tank or twin stack.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Deeters posted:

Avoid that piece of poo poo. I just threw mine in the garbage for blowing the PCB fuse.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Single because you can get the aluminum version much cheaper

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Commodore_64 posted:

My brother the spyder talked me into yet another tool deal, bought one of these for my new house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AH1IIM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

185 bux really ain't bad for a USA made 6.5" vise!

I've got that same vise! Amazon informs me that I bought it Feb 2016 and I haven't broken it yet. It's been extremely useful and is one of my favorite tools.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Single because you can get the aluminum version much cheaper

Didn't even notice that. 20 pound difference on top of the no rust thing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deeters posted:

XINCOL AC110V/220V to DC12V 30A 360W Switched Mode Switching Power Supply (SMPS) Transformer Driver Adapter for LED Strip Light

Plus

Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor

Plus

Viair 90111 Pressure Switch with Relay

Plus

Viair 92175 175 PSI Safety Valve with 1/4" NPT

Equals

VIAIR 150 PSI High-Flow Air Source Kit

Without the tank but with an optional 120V in.

Edit: Not the most cost effective solution I'm sure, but they're all good components. It would last a really long time.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 14, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Theres an Easter fair on at the moment, and there was a used tool seller there!

The little pliers are Knipex internal circlip pliers, RRP here in AU is about $50, got em for $15 and the Mitutoyo mag base is NIB. RRP is $140-150, got it for $70 cash!

Fair is on for another 4 days and he's got all sorts of Starret, Mitutoyo and various british micrometers and dial indicators, a metric boatload of taps and drills and poo poo and a pair of massive Sandvik Coromant carbide tool holders for a lathe for under $100 each- One would be nearly 2" shank!

Im going to spend so much money...

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
https://www.revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

Angle grinder with a circular saw blade is apparently dangerous :perfect:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Galler posted:

I've got that same vise! Amazon informs me that I bought it Feb 2016 and I haven't broken it yet. It's been extremely useful and is one of my favorite tools.

I got this in 2012 and haven't broken it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O9X63O

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I looked into those blades on Amazon a while back when trying to find a way to make cuts next to a wall. Read the reviews about it being a dangerous piece of poo poo and noped outta that decision. Luckily I also discovered a multitool did exactly what I needed, but with a far lower chance of bouncing into my carotid artery.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

too bad these southern boys are so anti-union, cause this is the exact thing you need a union to represent you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Step up your game:

http://www.starkiesharp.com/kats-chainsaw-disks.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oh my god this is amazing.
I'm unironically gonna get one of these and put it on that lovely Harbor Freight angle grinder I bought to grind concrete.