Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Douchebag posted:

The Speedway had a 60 minute wait last week, I couldn't believe it. It's the worst ride in the kingdom.

I was going to say Stitch, but at least Stitch has A/C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Icedude posted:

Autopia at DLR is allowable as it's one of the original 1955 rides, but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the MK one being replaced.

And somehow Autopia is a million times the ride the Speedway is. I wouldn't be sad to see it go for another E-Ticket.

Met BB-8 at Studios today. He's adorable.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Cais posted:

And somehow Autopia is a million times the ride the Speedway is. I wouldn't be sad to see it go for another E-Ticket.

Met BB-8 at Studios today. He's adorable.

Can regular schlubs meet him? I'm guessing he's in Launch Bay.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Edna Mode posted:

Can regular schlubs meet him? I'm guessing he's in Launch Bay.

Yep! He started meeting on Friday I think? Line starts in the Cantina. Was actually posted 35 minute wait, I only waited about 20.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Douchebag posted:

The Speedway had a 60 minute wait last week, I couldn't believe it. It's the worst ride in the kingdom.

Speedway has super lovely capacity though. Loading and unloading the cars is a huge pain, I'd wager, so it takes forever.

Autopia rules, especially after it's latest refurbishment.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

I was going to say Stitch, but at least Stitch has A/C

Stitch was closed, heard it might be going away?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Douchebag posted:

Stitch was closed, heard it might be going away?

Those are rumors, but it is operating seasonally now, only opening when attendance is high.

On a related note, I got an email this morning that my Magic Bands have shipped! I am about to climb out of my skin from excitement.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Eh, they've closed 20,000 Leagues (1971), the Skyway, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Adventure...all of which were original WDW attractions. I think it's time to do something else with the Speedway, that's a LOT of space that could be used for another attraction, something that would straddle Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

And yes, if anyone ever talks about removing Carousel of Progress, I will lead the riots. Update the final scene, but don't take it away

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Omne posted:

And yes, if anyone ever talks about removing Carousel of Progress, I will lead the riots. Update the final scene, but don't take it away

The final scene is uncannily up to date minus a few small details. It really just needs new appliances and a smartphone in everyone's hands. Good opportunity for a Brand® tie-in, if you ask me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Omne posted:

Mr Toad's Wild Ride
Still angry about this.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is the Carousel of Progress the silver ball in Epcot? I really can't see the appeal of that ride aside from nostalgia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Omne posted:

Eh, they've closed 20,000 Leagues (1971), the Skyway, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Adventure...all of which were original WDW attractions. I think it's time to do something else with the Speedway, that's a LOT of space that could be used for another attraction, something that would straddle Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

It'll probably be the first to go if they have to tear down something for Tomorrowland or Fantasyland attractions. Surprisingly, looking at it in Google Maps shows a smaller footprint than expected; it's only about big enough to hold two Dumbo rides and their queues.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TV Zombie posted:

Is the Carousel of Progress the silver ball in Epcot? I really can't see the appeal of that ride aside from nostalgia.

it's the circular building in Tomorrowland. It's definitely a nostalgia thing but I like it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

chitoryu12 posted:

It'll probably be the first to go if they have to tear down something for Tomorrowland or Fantasyland attractions. Surprisingly, looking at it in Google Maps shows a smaller footprint than expected; it's only about big enough to hold two Dumbo rides and their queues.

Speedway? Nah, it's huge.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, Speedway could easily house another big attraction or two. I hate it because of the awful gasoline fumes and I feel really bad for those cast members. That poo poo has to be bad for you to breathe in constantly.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I always figured they'd update the Speedway cars with electric motors or something since it's, y'know... Tomorrowland... Guess not though. :shrug:

I do remember riding it many many years ago and vaguely remember feeling like I was driving a lawn mower on a track and that was about it!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

TV Zombie posted:

Um, the ball is Spaceship Earth and it is amazing and you go wash your mouth out with soap and think about what you've done here today. :colbert:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Seriously. And go thank the Phoenicians while you're at it

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apparently if you have a flashlight and shine it up at the final scene in Spaceship Earth you can still see the old animatronics from before the rehab up there just painted black

also apparently disney is doing it's own taxi / uber service?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Empress Brosephine posted:

If they can compete aggressively on price this could be real interesting.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like the idea of having a ride straight to a resort for dinner or after leaving trader sams or jellyrolls at 2am

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I hope they call it UbEar

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Braksgirl posted:

Um, the ball is Spaceship Earth and it is amazing and you go wash your mouth out with soap and think about what you've done here today. :colbert:

I do my damndest to force every Epcot tour on Spaceship Earth. It's the Epcottiest Ride in Epcot damnit!

Empress Brosephine posted:

apparently if you have a flashlight and shine it up at the final scene in Spaceship Earth you can still see the old animatronics from before the rehab up there just painted black

Yeah, they just covered up a bunch of stuff. The backstage CM tour for that one is almost, almost as good as the mansion one.

I saw the posting for that. Basically resort to park private transportation. I thought about posting for it but it's bad enough driving around Disney property on the way to work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God I would kill for a backstage sse tour. That'd be a dream for me.

Going to do backstage magic next MK th though so I can see Bonnie Aperture. Is she still a part of it?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Just finished the 12am-2am extra magic hours at MK. Theme park touring is so easy when the park is empty!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/breaking-walt-disney-world-adding-club-33-locations-4-parks-coming/

huh

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Another vehicle to charge people for exclusive access to a location then beat them over the head for even more money to eat or drink. It's the Disney way.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_33

I'm actually kind of excited for this just for the mystery around it.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

I always figured they'd update the Speedway cars with electric motors or something since it's, y'know... Tomorrowland... Guess not though. :shrug:

I do remember riding it many many years ago and vaguely remember feeling like I was driving a lawn mower on a track and that was about it!

Imagineers want the noise and vibrations of the gasoline engines.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nbakyfan posted:

Imagineers want the noise and vibrations of the gasoline engines.

Both of which are exceptionally easy to generate while also using an electric motor.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Bottom Liner posted:

They certainly have been on a roll since Harry Potter. I know a lot of people criticize their overuse of 4d stuff, but I think they have a unique niche in theme parks and noone else does it as well as Universal. That said, everything since HP has been a one-off so I wonder what their next big plans are (aside from more HP).

Announced?

This year they are starting a new Christmas thing for Harry Potter his year (including a Hogwarts castle projection nighttime show), and the amazing looking Volcano Bay water park.

The fast and Furious Ride next year. And Nintendo land. (And two new hotels, one of which is under construction right now, and the the other is going on the site of the old Wet'n Wild water park, which they are in the process of tearing down right now.

The big future one is Super Nintendo Land though. (No real details other than it's going to be potter level big and oddly not screen based)

Unannounced rumors? Dragon Challenge coaster going to be replaced with another 1 or 2 potter/fantastic beasts attractions. A new Marvel island attraction. Maybe a secret life of Pets attraction, something new in in Jurassic Park.
Big rumor though is a 3rd (and maybe 4th) theme park -- not the water park -- on a bunch of land next they acquired south of the main park.

My guess is they are holding back on a ton of announcements until after the water park is completed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Grundulum posted:

Both of which are exceptionally easy to generate while also using an electric motor.

Maybe imagineers also want the fumes generated by gasoline engines. :v:

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Grundulum posted:

This would require most likely a complete redesign of the ride vehicle because there are no speakers nor vibration makers. Plus you have to consider that the attraction runs 16-18 hours a day so finding a battery that lasts this long, with the additional electrical load now for speakers and to make vibrations, would be very difficult. And really all you are doing is offsetting emission from the tail pipe of the car to the coal fire or natural gas plant.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nbakyfan posted:

And really all you are doing is offsetting emission from the tail pipe of the car to the coal fire or natural gas plant.

Switching to electric motors on Speedway would benefit the CMs more than the environment.

Or just tear it down, that works too.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

nimper posted:

Switching to electric motors on Speedway would benefit the CMs more than the environment.

Or just tear it down, that works too.

I agree. The land can be used for better purposes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's an unverified rumor that the Speedway will be replaced by Shanghai's Tron coaster.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Last night we did Rivers of Light, the Night Safari, and watched the Tree of Life Awakenings. All were really cool! What a great way to end a day at Animal Kingdom. Today is our last day, so of course we're going to Magic Kingdom!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nbakyfan posted:

This would require most likely a complete redesign of the ride vehicle because there are no speakers nor vibration makers. Plus you have to consider that the attraction runs 16-18 hours a day so finding a battery that lasts this long, with the additional electrical load now for speakers and to make vibrations, would be very difficult. And really all you are doing is offsetting emission from the tail pipe of the car to the coal fire or natural gas plant.

I was expecting any sort of overhaul like this to involve a whole bunch of redesign and replacing, yes. I don't have any sort of numbers on-hand, but I wonder what -- if the guide rails were electrified to provide the power, rather than using a battery -- would be the minimum voltage needed to accelerate 200 lbs of car and up to 500 lbs of :btroll: around the track at 3 mph. Speakers don't consume that much energy relative to the energy required to get the car moving, and the motor could be simulated by a set of weighted cams on a single shaft; I'm sure there are other problems, but I am equally sure that imagineers are far cleverer than I am.

Finally, when you're talking about burning fossil fuels, you want the fewest power sources possible. When your plant is huge, it's less expensive (compared against other costs) to install highly effective scrubbers to remove pollutants from the exhaust. There's no way a $50, 24hp engine would ever have as much in the way of environmental protection as a $50M, 24MW coal plant. Thus our conversation about whether the gas fumes were part of Walt's initial vision for the ride. :v:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
just rip it out and put something better in its place. So much real estate, such low capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

chitoryu12 posted:

There's an unverified rumor that the Speedway will be replaced by Shanghai's Tron coaster.

I would literally die.