Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Midnight Sun posted:

Speaking of free patterns, have you guys checked out Drops Design? Literally thousands of patterns for free, and pretty ones too! In 13 different languages (the link goes to UK English, but you can change it to US English in the drop menu in the top left. Or Hungarian. Or Finnish. And so on.)

Ive tried a few of their patterns, the knitted bowls i made a while back is a drops-pattern.
Fair warning tho, in the fair-isle/norwegian stranded color sweaters (the ones knit top-down) the patterns are a bit finicky, and the sizing a bit on the small side, compared to the icelandic patterns im used to.

Id reccommend checking the discussion-thread for any pattern that you look at, that can give you an idea about any "hidden challenges" in the pattern.

....I am not at all bitter about a beautiful dress i had to pass on to a friends because it got too small...nooo...and the armpit/sleeve attachment was just.....terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Scarf:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That's cool. How long will it be?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

NancyPants posted:

That's cool. How long will it be?

As long as it needs to be, probably 4-1/2', enough for a loose wrap around my neck.

I'm doing a half width take on this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pangolin-2

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I got some Kauni yarn as part of a passed on stash. It's blue, black and purple. Perfect for a revontuli shawl!

... and then I realize the ball starts in the black part and I'm a novice at chart reading. This'll be fun.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
My first "big" knitting project other than stockinette scarves: a shawl!

Pattern is the small variant of Faraway, So Close

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

stimulated emission posted:

My first "big" knitting project other than stockinette scarves: a shawl!

Pattern is the small variant of Faraway, So Close

It reminds me of a pretty moth! Nice job.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

effika posted:

It reminds me of a pretty moth! Nice job.

My thoughts exactly!
I'm impressed by people who can do lace-y knitting, that's too much work for me. :)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
That is awesome!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Working on a sweater for the husband.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Haha nice, also using the Geek Along motifs?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I am, yeah. They're well done!

(Husband's first love will always be Samus.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sehkmet posted:

I am, yeah. They're well done!

(Husband's first love will always be Samus.)

They are really well done. I've been using them to make dk hot pads for my mom since it's the only thing she wants me to knit her. I'm on my third, the Half Life lambda. First was the Aperture Science logo, then the Portal square.

Samus is a drat fine lady.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

effika posted:

The patterns seem to have always had that same level of awkwardness/oddness to them. I think the site felt higher-quality before Ravelry because it was one of the few places you could go to find patterns that always had a photo (not necessarily a good one), and where somebody other than the author had looked over the pattern.

I started knitting about 15 years ago (which officially makes me An Old), and Knitty seemed amazing when it first started, for exactly these reasons. Before Knitty, there wasn't really an aggregated place online to go to find patterns that didn't look like they came from your grandmother, that were reviewed, and that looked (mostly) professional. It was also a good place to go to find equipment and book reviews, as well as interesting knitting columns. Then professional knit blogging became a thing, where people who were talented at pattern writing stopped submitting to Knitty and started selling patterns on their own blog (understandably), then Twist Collective came around and other traditional knitting mags started putting their patterns online for sale, and then came Ravelry.

Ravelry really was the death of Knitty. What makes me the most sad about Knitty is all the writers that they used to have that no longer contribute, but that they still carry placeholders for in their Features section (looking at you, Franklin).

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Also for content, the last large project I finished was a lace shawl that was a gift for a friend. No full shot because I forgot to get one, but I love the transformation lace makes when you block it, and also closeup shots of lace while its blocking:

My current project now is Shusui shrug, in black and gray: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shusui-shrug

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

First time knitting with colour/some attempt at intarsia. I'm kind of pleased although not as happy about the bit of buckling that's going on. Oh well.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Sooo, my work contract ended and ive been unemployed for approx. 8 weeks now....

I´m coping, i´m perfectly FINE, not bored at all, why do you ask?

In case any of you want a closer look at the work:

First up is a cardigan for my mother in law: Before washing and setting, you can sort of see how loosely its knit, which means some shrinkage happened in the main body, whilst the sleeeves seem to have kept their length.

I chose a yarn that goes real soft and fluffy when washed, its very nice to the touch.

Then i made a big snood/circular scarf in a knit lace with giant holes, to allow the colorchange in the yarn to really show off. Its very vivid in person.

A good friend offered to buy some yarn for me, if id turn half of it into a nice sweater for her, in acrylic, so she could wear it when she went horseriding.
Done and Done! She loved the contrast of the hot pink versus the dark purple.

Some babystuff and a hat happened along the way.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

drat, you're prolific. Do you just knit 8 hours a day or what?

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Well, about 2 1/2 hours in the evenings, sometimes a fair bit during the day if ive run out of job-hunt things to do... if i have a boardgame-day in the weekend, i can get sometjing like a sleeve done in a day....

But really, im lying, im really an octopuss...that explains it.

edit: i didnt knit as much as i wanted when i was employed (only 24hrs in a day and whatnot) so this...sprint...will prolly end soon.

DrunkenDolphin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 25, 2017

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

NancyPants posted:

drat, you're prolific. Do you just knit 8 hours a day or what?

You mean you don't knit with your toes too?

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

LizzieBorden posted:

You mean you don't knit with your toes too?

ahhh the fabled art of Titting?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Finally got around to blocking out some knitting.

Sehkmet fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 16, 2017

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I love both of those. Patterns?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
The scarf is #197 Lombard Street - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/197-lombard-street-scarf

The shawl is Ripplerock - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ripplerock

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sehkmet posted:

Lovely colors, in addition to the patterns! Thanks for sharing the links.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Sehkmet posted:

Those are gorgeous!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Thank you, everyone. :)

I really liked knitting Lombard Street - it was short repeats and pretty easy to start to memorize after a while; you just get the feel for what section's next and the pattern just becomes back-up.

Ripplerock nearly did me in. The shawl part was easy enough to blaze through, but the lace border took FOREVER and by the end I was like 'UGH just be over already'.

Both are knit in some gifted Baby Cashmerino someone gave me when they were cleaning out their stash - 12 whole balls of it! Lucky me!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Made this for my sister. Pattern is Rauma 233-3.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
That is really, really lovely. Good work on it. I hope she treasures it for a long time.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I really want to learn to knit sweaters/jumpers but the patterns are confusing, I need a video that shows the whole process. My searches on youtube haven't helped with finding the whole step-by-step process, anybody got anything to recommend?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Tin Can Knits do a bunch of free patterns with tutorials, there's at least one sweater in there. I haven't tried them myself but I love their other patterns, they're always clear and easy to follow and I've seen their tutorials recommended a ton of times.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Wow, new Knitty is out, and it's... fine?? The tie's a little silly and I don't know that I love anything but this seems like the best issue in a long time. I'm not liable to make anything from it but that's something else entirely...

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Hello knit thread I made a scarf:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

keyboard vomit posted:

Very nice & warm-looking. Brioche?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

That's beautiful! Pretty colors. :)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

It's my first two color brioche project, I did a half width version of this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pangolin-2

The blue is Patons silk bamboo, and the green is Rowan Softyak DK. I overestimated how much yarn I'd need so I have a bunch of the green left over, so now I need a hat.

If anyone has any good arboreal themed hat patterns I'd love to see them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Finished some socks, just in time for sweltering July heat!

Chrysocalla Socks by effika, on Flickr
Ravelry project page

Not sure I liked knitting with madelinetosh Twist Light. I had to go to 0's to get it to feel good for socks, and maybe could have gone down to 00's. I'll see how it holds up! I love the color, though it came out MUCH lighter on skein than as shown on-line. I like Jimmy Beans Wool, but their photos are always a little off for me.

I think I want to do something modular next. This 90°F and 90% humidity has been a bit much!

I've got a number of sock yarn leftovers, enough to get a decent chunk of a Beekeeper's Quilt/Hexipuff started. I think I've figured out the pattern (toe-up sock toe, straight for a bit, cuff-down sock toe) so I can at least try it out without paying $5.50 for it to discover I hate making hexagons. Or maybe I'll just make a bunch of mitered squares.

keyboard vomit posted:

It's my first two color brioche project, I did a half width version of this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pangolin-2

The blue is Patons silk bamboo, and the green is Rowan Softyak DK. I overestimated how much yarn I'd need so I have a bunch of the green left over, so now I need a hat.

Perhaps this leafy hat? This one is more subtle. And this one has a branchy/fern thing going for it.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

keyboard vomit posted:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grandifolia-head

This pattern is great for a leafy hat, it has a table with lots of options for yarn weight and style of hat (how slouchy you want it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Made a hat, no trees.

There are cables though.