Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Google yields this site

http://40kbadcast.libsyn.com/

None of the episodes mention Fulgrim specifically, but it's only 6 episodes, so it shouldn't be too hard of a search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

We actually talked about it in our very first episode. Dan (The Sex Cannon on these boards) gives his take on Fulgrim, and I go balls deep into Ian Watson's Space Marine:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/02/02/first-blog-post/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SRM posted:

We actually talked about it in our very first episode. Dan (The Sex Cannon on these boards) gives his take on Fulgrim, and I go balls deep into Ian Watson's Space Marine:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/02/02/first-blog-post/

What in god's name was that "Was ist ein Space-Ork [inaudble]" game with orcs vs. nazis one of you guys talked about?

Also, the loving innuendo in Ian Watson's Space Marine, I cannot stop laughing :lol:

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Pendent posted:

Some goons from the main 40k thread do a podcast called the 40k Badcast and on one of their episodes they do a review of Fulgrim that I highly recommend you listen to.

Thanks for the heads up, based on that review yeah I think I'll skip it. Also holy hell, the review of Space Marine is fantastic. I have a vague memory of finding a copy of Harlequin by Ian Watson in my school library when I was about 12, BL really need to start republishing his stuff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What in god's name was that "Was ist ein Space-Ork [inaudble]" game with orcs vs. nazis one of you guys talked about?

Also, the loving innuendo in Ian Watson's Space Marine, I cannot stop laughing :lol:

It was a one off convention game, I think it was Was ist ein Space Ork Ober Brau, but that was like 20 years ago at this point.

I think "innuendo" implies a level of subtlety that is definitely not there in Ian Watson's writing :v:

Owlkill posted:

Thanks for the heads up, based on that review yeah I think I'll skip it. Also holy hell, the review of Space Marine is fantastic. I have a vague memory of finding a copy of Harlequin by Ian Watson in my school library when I was about 12, BL really need to start republishing his stuff.

I can't believe a school library had anything by Ian Watson, the dude's a loon.

We also have a segment on the show called 40k Book Club where we talk in depth about a Black Library book. A few weeks ago we did one on the excellent Fifteen Hours:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/02/11/40k-badcast-04-the-40k-baaaaaaaaaadcast-the-worlds-foremost-scifi-sheep-podcast/

Stay tuned, we'll be doing another one soon!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SRM posted:

It was a one off convention game, I think it was Was ist ein Space Ork Ober Brau, but that was like 20 years ago at this point.

I think "innuendo" implies a level of subtlety that is definitely not there in Ian Watson's writing :v:

We also have a segment on the show called 40k Book Club where we talk in depth about a Black Library book. A few weeks ago we did one on the excellent Fifteen Hours:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/02/11/40k-badcast-04-the-40k-baaaaaaaaaadcast-the-worlds-foremost-scifi-sheep-podcast/

Stay tuned, we'll be doing another one soon!

Have you guys covered any other Horus Heresy, or is there a list of general BL books you've covered?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Space Marine is on sale in the BL store as an e-book, that's how I got mine.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

SRM posted:

Yeah I'm guessing the librarians just thought "oh hey, lots of the kids like that game with the little plastic spacemen, let's grab some books about it" without actually bothering to read through them first, they had one of the Genevieve books as well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Have you guys covered any other Horus Heresy, or is there a list of general BL books you've covered?

That's pretty much it for BL books we've covered, we're only a couple episodes in at this point. I just finished the Guilliman novella last night though, so I might talk about it when we record today. We're trying not to talk too much about Heresy books because there's 40 of the drat things and it's hard to just jump into the middle.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
You should do a review of Battle for the Abyss, it would be comedy gold.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

This podcast is awesome, thanks for linking that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Angry Lobster posted:

Random acts of Xenos contrition need to be brought to a wider audience so they can be properly appreciated.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Owlkill posted:

I bought the HH humble bundle - I'm planning on at the very least skipping all the non-Abnett/ADB/Swallow/McNeill books and really want to just stick to the books that are actually decent. I've read the opening trilogy and Eisenstein, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Is Fulgrim worth sticking with? in my experience McNeill can be pretty hit and miss, I'm only a couple of chapters in but I'm just not feeling any "bite" so far.

It took me about a month to slog my way through Fulgrim, and then 6-10 were like a breath of fresh air. I guess I'm glad that I read it, I've read worse, but I'll never read it again. There's a lot of messed up poo poo at the end, which lends to the "gross beauty" of chaos, but meh.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Re reading A thousand sons.

Are the beast wolves of fenris failed aspirants who turned into wolves?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Or Nemesis. It had its okay moments, but Officio Assassinorum: The sitcom was just the polar opposite of what I had expected or even "wanted".

For what it's worth, I thought Fulgrim was an okay book. I don't have much of a problem with hamfisted plot twists, or in-your-face TRAGIC FIGURE types of deals when it's in the 40k universe.

I laughed a lot at the passage with "He's a primarch obsessed with perfection yet miserably fails to accomplish a single perfect thing".

Quick question regarding the Night Lords trilogy that I finished while mildly drunk:

I assumed Decimus is Octavia & Septimus' kid, yes? So Variel found them after all and took their kid into the Legions, and then implanted it with Talos' geneseed, hence them calling him prophet?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 11, 2017

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Quick question regarding the Night Lords trilogy that I finished while mildly drunk:

I assumed Decimus is Octavia & Septimus' kid, yes? So Variel found them after all and took their kid into the Legions?
I think ADB said he intentionally left the question open, but yeah, it's not easy to arrive at a different conclusion.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's never been stated but the hints are the wolves of Fenris are mutated colonists from DNA fiddling to make humans be able to survive the climate.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

^^^^Dammit
Yes, but not really wolves. It's pretty heavily foreshadowed that the colonists of Fenris messed with their DNA in order to survive the planet's extreme environment. The Space Wolves geneseed interacts weirdly with this DNA manipulation to override the majority human DNA with majority Wolfthing. It gets expanded on in Prospero Burns and Battle of the Fang

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Are those war zone fenris books and stories worth reading?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

There are no wolves on Fenris.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For what it's worth the recent Forge World Prospero book talks about Fenris and says it almost seems like it was made as a prison planet. The diversity of the people and monsters is said to be such that they must have been put there (or in some cases bio-engineered) by someone.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Space Australia

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Space Australia

"There're no wolves on Fenris ya oval office."

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Alternative pants posted:

"There're no wolves on Fenris ya oval office."

"Astartes? That's a stupid name. I'd have called'em Chuzz whuzzers"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The leopard growled wetly, "Noice."

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Mjod: Fenraysian for bee-yah.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Space wolves as Australians make way too much sense.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"gently caress off ya Chogorian coonts, we're full"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'm honestly surprised there's no old school joke guard regiment or something modeled on Australia. It's a death world, their rough riders ride kangaroos, they once revolted against the government in the sacra rebellion, the possibilities are endless.

E: Original idea do not steal

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Syncopated posted:

I'm honestly surprised there's no old school joke guard regiment or something modeled on Australia. It's a death world, their rough riders ride kangaroos, they once revolted against the government in the sacra rebellion, the possibilities are endless.

Victoria Lamb's got you covered http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/products/van-diemens-world-devils

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Old school Rough Riders had the Aussie hat thing going on (no corks though.) Sadly, I can't find any pics.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The old ones I remember were Attillan, so Huns basically.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were really old Rogue Trader era ones that just looked like the standard IG combined with lancers.

Edit: here we go: http://www.solegends.com/citrt2/rt4012igriders/index.htm

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Can you imagine Steve Iriwn running wildlife preserves in the Imperium?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Stabbed through the heart by a xenos manta ray, but made an honorary Dreadnought of whatever chapter rules over the death world Australis Primus.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Just make Flesh Tearers into Australian Marines, their world is already Australia pretty much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MMAgCh posted:

Stabbed through the heart by aTzeentchian Screamer, but made an honorary Dreadnought of whatever chapter rules over the death world Australis Primus.

FTFY

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hustlin Floh posted:

There were really old Rogue Trader era ones that just looked like the standard IG combined with lancers.

Edit: here we go: http://www.solegends.com/citrt2/rt4012igriders/index.htm
Yeah, those guys are just regular Guard of the day, so they look bad but on horses.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Are we still making Space Australia jokes?

Noice, mate :australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Guardsman Irwin approaches the Lictor hiding in the bushes "This is reeeally dangerous"