Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is impossible while Layton vs. Wright exists

I haven't played it so I can't comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is impossible while Layton vs. Wright exists

Ace Attorney Investigations also exists, and that final case is more arduous than good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AAI's final case is bad but it doesn't have a final day which is literally just a single testimony and one contradiction.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The big problem with AA4's final case to me is that we're working to defeat a guy we've already defeated in the intro case. It just all feels a little too bathetic.

The flashback stuff with Phoenix is at least interesting in concept.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
AA4 is the worst main entry to the series by a significant margin

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

AA4 is the worst main entry to the series by a significant margin

2 is most definitely worse and not even that last case saves it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2 is worse because it has a literal pedophile rather than just an ambiguous creep.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AA4's last case was salvaged, in my opinion, by seeing just how loving savage Phoenix can be. Seriously: keep the man happy, otherwise you will not like who you wind up with.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Still feel that AA4 is the worst game of the series, and I'm glad they dropped most of the big parts of that game from being terribly relevant. What they did bring back was more conceptual (the Gramayres in AA6 for example) than anything to do with the plot, and it worked out fine. I will say though, I did like the fact that almost every character was new, and they didn't push big cameos for the sake of it. I like AA5 and 6 a lot but my god, please put Edgeworth on a bus.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You'll get rid of Nick's husband Edgeworth over my dead body.

Also they've already had one gay character, time to have the leads come out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nick is Bi.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Raxivace posted:

So AA4/GS4 is now ten years old in Japan. It's weird to think that- it still feels like a new entry in the series to me.

It's certainly remained a controversial entry among fans of the series, though personally I'm in the camp that AA5 and AA6 makes at least Apollo a more interesting character in retrospect. Y'all have any thoughts on the game, now that its about decade old?

I guess it's kinda mid-tier, but my opinion is that it's an actual AA game, which Dual Destiny kinda shat the bed on. I basically played the series back to back after the sale a few years ago, except it was basically AA1 - 2 - 3 - the DS case added into 1 - 5 - 4, so I had the benefit of Apollo being a developed character, knowing Hobo Phoenix wasn't gonna stick around (not that I minded him but I could see how he could be seen as an insult), and coming off fresh of a game that babied you to an insulting degree, amount other faults.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apollo Justice is the Raiden of Ace Attorney; his first game is uneven as hell but every other time he shows up he's awesome.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

Nick is Bi.

bicurious maybe but you know hes only ever hooked up with edgey

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Apollo Justice is the Raiden of Ace Attorney; his first game is uneven as hell but every other time he shows up he's awesome.
Apollo and Raiden were opposites for me.

I didn't care much about Apollo in AA4 but liked him 5 and 6. With Raiden, MGS2 was the only time I cared about him and I didn't care for any of his subsequent appearances at all.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Raxivace posted:

The big problem with AA4's final case to me is that we're working to defeat a guy we've already defeated in the intro case. It just all feels a little too bathetic.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why they didn't pull some drama where Gavin defended himself offscreen after being accused in 4-1 and got himself off because "he's such an amazing defense attorney" so that dunking him in 4-4 is a cathartic accomplishment, instead of just getting a death row inmate to admit to another murder.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, I can understand it, kind of: it's not (just) about getting him another guilty verdict, it's about unraveling all of his long-term schemes so that he doesn't end up ruining even more lives than he already had, and doing it in such a way that it breaks him so that he'll never be a threat again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah keep in mind you're not there to take him down. You're there to defend one of his victims (and boy howdy she's probably the most beaten down and sympathetic client in the whole series except for possibly Athena) and the only way to do that is untangling everything he did.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 12, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

chumbler posted:

Yeah keep in mind you're not there to take him down. You're there to defend one of his victims (and boy howdy she's probably the most beaten down and sympathetic client in the whole series except for possibly Athena) and the only way to do that is untangling everything he did.

Yeah, as things stand at the beginning of 4-4, Phoenix was rightfully disbarred for forging evidence and Vera Misham was basically the only person who could have murdered her father. Kristoph was in prison, sure, but he seemed to still be somewhat well-regarded. (see that loving prison cell of his). Kristoph was known as a defense attorney who killed some weird rando for no reason anyone could really figure out.

4-4 is about protecting Vera Misham, clearing Phoenix's name AND providing Kristoph's motive for the murder of 4-1. It's also about good dental hygiene.

V Honestly Spark Brushel gets much more poo poo than he deserves. Does he look really loving weird and have an annoying verbal gimmick? Yes. But is he possibly the most helpful witness in the entire series? Yes. But basically all the contradictions in his testimony are contradictions because the prosecution and defense have no loving clue about what went on.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Spark Brushel not as bad as people think," end quote.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Exercu posted:

But is he possibly the most helpful witness in the entire series? Yes.

Eh, I'd give Brushel second place at most. Palaeno in AAI1-5 takes the top spot, and his name even has "pal" in it! He's just your good buddy and never gets stinkeye from anyone.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
AA4 is the worst main series/investigation game because the cases are bad and, even for this series, contrived. I greatly dislike, for instance, that you never get a decent chat with your client before trial in any of the cases. Also, Apollo's gimmick is introducing pixel hunting to trial segments which is terrible. Even case 1, which a lot of people seem to like, was very hand-holdy to me. Gimme 3-1 over 4-1 any day.

It's a shame, because I generally liked the new main cast and music.

Also, by now the most helpful witness has to be Larry Butz, out of sheer amount of testimony in the various cases (including putting Von Karma away, a Herculean feat by itself by his sheer srupidity).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If you don't like handholdy I'm not sure why Dual Destinies was so acclaimed

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think AA4 was supposed to really drive home the "This system where defendants are guilty until decisive evidence proves them innocent, and we have to convict someone is really hosed" idea, and since that's already present in the first 3 games they have to really force it. Like with the small blind child being arrested for a crime he couldn't possibly have committed because he was also the only one that could fit through the air vent, and they just arrested the first suspect they had.
But the court reform stuff gets dropped after being used one time to save Vera and clear Phoenix's name by bringing the full truth of Kristoph's crimes to light, and then the Dark Age of the Law happened

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sea Sponge Run posted:

No see it's different because

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Because it was the first mainline Phoenix Wright game in 6 years and it wasn't awful

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, I enjoyed dual destinies, but the entire segment with:

Phoenix: but it doesn't explain this one thing...
Aura: so I lowered the emergency ladder like the detective leading the investigation told me to.
Phoenix: how did the phantom know which emergency ladder would be used?
Edgeworth: so the criminal must be someone who knew that ladder was going to be used.
Aura: so I lowered the emergency ladder like the detective leading the investigation told me to
Phoenix: ms blackquill lowered the ladder after being told to by the detective?

was so hilariously hamhanded, as an example

V agreed. Heck, all of Apollo's clients were guilty of something. Phoenix forged evidence for that trial, wocky intended on killing pal meraktis, machi was a smuggler and vera a forger.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 12, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
AA4 felt more like a Dark Age of the Law than AA5, to be honest. Three cases deal with corruption in the legal system, and the other dealt with the mafia.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

AA4 felt more like a Dark Age of the Law than AA5, to be honest. Three cases deal with corruption in the legal system, and the other dealt with the mafia.

AA4 is easily the darkest game in the series and the visual style and music go a long way towards helping it there

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The one thing that really bothered me about DD was Apollo mentions in passing that he has a best friend who then turns up dead in the next case and this is supposed to be some big dramatic moment for him. Since we never get to see the two interact or do anything together it had no impact for me. He should've been able to come along with Apollo for one of the earlier cases or be a witness or something.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
DD is good instead of bad/mediocre solely on the fact that the DLC case is one of the best cases in the series.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kind of fitting, because according to the lore it takes place right in the thick of the Dark Age of the Law, which supposedly began when Phoenix forged evidence and Simon killed his mentor some 7 years earlier.

I think Dual Destinies gets a pass for being handholdy because its characters are much better defined and the logical throughline of each case holds together better. It's the easiest game by far, but with an unforgettable cast and some really great systems at work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DD is better then spirit of justice

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

It's not, virtually every case of SoJ is better than the DD equivalent

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SoJ is worth it just for Case 2 alone.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I wish the 3DS games had more of a focus on the investigation and interrogating people side of things, it's a little better in AA6 but it still doesn't really capture the feel that the earlier games had for just exploring the world and finding clues and catching up with characters and whatnot. Too many cases begin ad-hoc or right before a trial.

Mazreal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Cake Attack posted:

mods?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not, virtually every case of SoJ is better than the DD equivalent

Gonna agree with this. I like both games, but AA6 was better of the two. In terms of their affect on the series though, AA5 probably comes out better, because it told people "Hey, AA4 was just a fluke, the series isn't awful now", while AA6's main gimmick (Maya) was super underutilized.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll take AA5's DLC case over any case in SOJ tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Honestly i don't even remember most of SoJ's cases except for the vague notions of "the last one where i guessed every twist except for one because the game couldn't keep hinting at them beforehand" and the one with "god i hope the channeling doesn't suddenly end while this creepy old man has Maya undressed".

I couldn't assign them to a number though