Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Aside from both of these portraying Yusuke as the awesome dude that he is, I kinda love that Makoto basically teleports right next to him to tell him that.

(Look at the motion lines coming off of her, and the onomatopoeia they use in the katakana I'm pretty sure is typically used for suddenly appearing/really fast movement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

At one point I had like 180k and I finally got curious and looked up what that would be in US Dollars.

I wish I could casually have $1,600 spending money when I was in high school. Hell I wish I could do that now.

Just go into the Metaverse and kill some shadows for a couple of hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Aside from both of these portraying Yusuke as the awesome dude that he is, I kinda love that Makoto basically teleports right next to him to tell him that.

(Look at the motion lines coming off of her, and the onomatopoeia they use in the katakana I'm pretty sure is typically used for suddenly appearing/really fast movement)

Crucial Phantom Thief skills - stealth, agility, effective tool usage, SP management, advanced Kramering

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lakbay posted:

Ann has been permanently benched in my game since Makoto join. She doesn't even seem to have a weird gimmick like Yusuke's baton pass stuff. And enemies rarely buff themselves in this game so dekaja is kinda useless too

Ann is basically Fire Mitsuru. She get's Agidyne and Concentrate so she can potentially do truckloads of burst same as Mitsuru could in P3.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

At one point I had like 180k and I finally got curious and looked up what that would be in US Dollars.

I wish I could casually have $1,600 spending money when I was in high school. Hell I wish I could do that now.

That sushi place is crazy expensive too since I think everytime there's a scene there the bill is over 100k yen each time

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ann is basically Fire Mitsuru. She get's Agidyne and Concentrate so she can potentially do truckloads of burst same as Mitsuru could in P3.

I stopped using Mitsuru early in P3 too sooooo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's not even good at that because her highest level single target skill is agidyne meanwhile Makoto gets a severe single target nuclear ability.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Lakbay posted:

Ann has been permanently benched in my game since Makoto joined. She doesn't even seem to have a weird gimmick like Yusuke's baton pass stuff. And enemies rarely buff themselves in this game so dekaja is kinda useless too
I totally agree Ann is less than ideal, but I like her character and Carmen is probably my favorite Persona design ever

Captain Baal posted:

I'm looking to try and make a super Arsene on second playthrough because he is easily my favorite persona design in the aside from one other special persona I can't name
on the other hand, I hate Arsene's lame rear end top hat. His speech when you awaken him is cool tho

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
How bad is merciless difficulty? I'm going to be doing it on a new game plus, having already beaten the game on Hard. Also, I still have yet to max my guts and proficiency. Poor Haru never got past level 1 confidant status. I intend to heavily rectify that situation next playthrough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Arsene's top hat rules.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

jimmydalad posted:

How bad is merciless difficulty? I'm going to be doing it on a new game plus, having already beaten the game on Hard. Also, I still have yet to max my guts and proficiency. Poor Haru never got past level 1 confidant status. I intend to heavily rectify that situation next playthrough.

Merciless is just hard with nerfed exp and money gains.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Captain Baal posted:

She's not even good at that because her highest level single target skill is agidyne meanwhile Makoto gets a severe single target nuclear ability.

Yeah, Ann gets an AoE instead which is useful but at that late in the game you'd rather have single target damage for the bosses. Sadly it did feel like Ann lagged behind the rest after the early game. I still love her though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i awakened my persona and it's arsene and now he's just shouting in my head about ayn rand

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Merciless is just hard with nerfed exp and money gains.

Xp would actually even out decently with the scaling that occurs. Is the money penalty only on victory or does it modify negotiations or confuse cash as well?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The gamefaqs thing I posted pages back said crits and technical attacks do 3x damage too on Merciless for both sides

Technical attacks are cool I wish I had a reason to use them all the time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hmm if I want to build Haru towards Gun skills but the bonus boss pretty much requires the reflect skills like Endorph said a while back, then I guess I'll probably be forsaking Psy Boost and Amp, as well as throwing away Amrita Shower towards the end.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Psy build is a trap on Haru anyways and you can get salvation or Amrita Shower on your MC anyways if you need it that badly. Build for One-Shot Kill and keep the reflects, she is a monster with that setup.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I got rid of the reflects for Amrita Shower and Psy Amp but I'll probably delegate Amrita Shower to MC and outside of some Mapsiodyne in the final fight I stopped really bothering with it unless to hit weaknesses.

e: seems like it's Psiodyne/Mapsiodyne/Triple Down/One-Shot Kill/Snipe/Cripple/Tetrakarn/Makarakarn

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are Haru's gun skills that good?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'd be like putting the elec boosts on Ryuji. You CAN do it, but it's like the worst way to build him and doesn't play to his strengths at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

Triple Down is awesome and One-Shot Kill is Severe damage with a great chance to crit. It's great

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harrow posted:

One-shot kill is a severe damage attack with high crit rate and Haru gets gun boost and amp as well furthering the damage. No one else on the team even gets phys damage boost, so she becomes secondary dedicated DPS with that behind Ryuji and can also throw up reflector walls as an added benefit. She outdamages Yusuke at endgame with One-shot kill build, it's insane. You literally keep mapsiodyne for weakness hitting, that's it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just have to say that i really appreciate that this game's jokes actually mostly land, unlike persona 4 which can best be described as the death of humor and joy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

One-shot kill is a severe damage attack with high crit rate and Haru gets gun boost and amp as well furthering the damage. No one else on the team even gets phys damage boost, so she becomes secondary dedicated DPS with that behind Ryuji and can also throw up reflector walls as an added benefit. She outdamages Yusuke at endgame with One-shot kill build, it's insane. You literally keep mapsiodyne for weakness hitting, that's it.

drat, all right, I'm in. Would you want to hang on to Heat Riser, too?

Endorph posted:

i just have to say that i really appreciate that this game's jokes actually mostly land, unlike persona 4 which can best be described as the death of humor and joy.

It's really great at comedic timing, too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

One-shot kill is a severe damage attack with high crit rate and Haru gets gun boost and amp as well furthering the damage. No one else on the team even gets phys damage boost, so she becomes secondary dedicated DPS with that behind Ryuji and can also throw up reflector walls as an added benefit. She outdamages Yusuke at endgame with One-shot kill build, it's insane.

Another benefit of that is the crit rate, which lets you knock down minibosses and instead of All-out Attacking, you Baton Pass into one of those Physical attacks that gets an extra boost from the Baton Pass. I did a Charged Matarukaja'd one of those and it did about 1500 damage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say keep Heat Riser, yeah. It's too useful an ability.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

nah there's some good stuff in there even if a lot of it doesn't hit for me anymore

Harrow posted:

drat, all right, I'm in. Would you want to hang on to Heat Riser, too?

It's tough, on the one hand you could drop Psiodyne or Mapsiodyne, on the other Haru's already pretty busy throwing up reflectors and owning poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

I would say keep Heat Riser, yeah. It's too useful an ability.

Then Mapsiodyne probably goes, I suppose.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is this one of those SMT/SMT-related games where physical is king for damage? People seem to strongly prefer Ryuji, Yusuke, and Haru to Ann for damage, and Makoto seems to get a lot of use just because she's versatile and she's a good healer who can do other things that Morgana can't.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I specced Haru for both Psi and Gun skills and that worked out well for me, there's really no need to keep the Evade skills on them. But yeah, she's definitely better with Gun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say you would wanna keep Heat Riser, but only use it on Ryuji because his accuracy's not the best and you don't want him to miss charge attacks. You could just go Masuku though on MC and spend the same turn Mataru with Ryuji, it's up to you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Makoto can do good damage with the Nuke boosts (I never even got her last skill for Severe single-target though), but it's poo poo like her heals, Dekunda, Marakukaja, and Energy Shower in the midgame that made me bring her along constantly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

list of good jokes in persona 4:

adachi's weird cabbage fetish
the concert in p4g where the guys jump off the stage and the crowd parts and yu lands cooly, yosuke twists his ankle, and kanji just faceplants
i thought there were 4 but i can only think of those two

list of bad jokes in persona 4:
yosuke pissing on a woman's grave
yosuke getting his mouth pissed in
all 53 of the jokes about girls being bad at cooking
all 68 of the fat jokes
all 76 of the jokes where the punchline is a girl is sexually uncomfortable
the entire 'drunk off the atmosphere' sequence (minus rise's drunk voice, which is hilarious)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I really like Punk Goth Doc but I don't want to make poo poo weird for her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harrow posted:

So is this one of those SMT/SMT-related games where physical is king for damage? People seem to strongly prefer Ryuji, Yusuke, and Haru to Ann for damage, and Makoto seems to get a lot of use just because she's versatile and she's a good healer who can do other things that Morgana can't.

I mean Persona 4 wasn't that different in this case as Chie was king poo poo of God Hand mountain in that game as well, but Yukiko damage was also very good, so I guess it's not the exact same thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

the protag can do good magic damage but none of the party members are really optimized for it for one reason or another

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm one of those people making a super Arsene and I've just recently got an invigorate 2 card from Barong. I'm really happy how easy it is to customize your favorite personas this time around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanji refusing to use a seashell to conceal his nakedness because "it's too sexy"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Kanji refusing to use a seashell to conceal his nakedness because "it's too sexy"

okay yeah that was okay

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

I mean Persona 4 wasn't that different in this case as Chie was king poo poo of God Hand mountain in that game as well, but Yukiko damage was also very good, so I guess it's not the exact same thing.

Persona 4 vanilla was weird because Kanji had better stats but he didn't learn Power Charge so he was useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

I honestly keep operating on the idea that this game DOES have the press turn system and I wish I could break myself of it. The One More giving you extra turns and then being able to pass those on too doesn't Like enemies have missed me and attacked again and I've had to go "Okay, what? That's....no you can't do that!" before I remember what game I'm playing.

Makakaja feels toothless when I can just eat up the reflect with an element theyre weak to, take the reflect damage, get a 1 more out of it and knock them down on the second shot.