Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

seiferguy posted:

I'm not going to say that right wing cartoonists (mainly Lester, McCoy and Ramirez) are racist because they always want to poo poo on Obama's legacy. I'm sure there's a racial aspect, but I think it's more that their current president is realllly unpopular and even people in his party hate em (although they'll go along with him because he mostly gives what the party wants). So it's a lot easier to make fun of Obama's legacy being destroyed than to prop Trump up as an actual good human being like Branco and Garrison do.

Porque no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Not the best example: she died of typhoid, not any sort of chemical attack. Maybe a generic prisoner throwing a can of Zyklon B would work better.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kopijeger posted:

Not the best example: she died of typhoid, not any sort of chemical attack. Maybe a generic prisoner throwing a can of Zyklon B would work better.

The Anne Frank Foundation released a statement about Spicer, so the cartoon could be related to that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I'm not going to say that right wing cartoonists (mainly Lester, McCoy and Ramirez) are racist because they always want to poo poo on Obama's legacy. I'm sure there's a racial aspect, but I think it's more that their current president is realllly unpopular and even people in his party hate em (although they'll go along with him because he mostly gives what the party wants). So it's a lot easier to make fun of Obama's legacy being destroyed than to prop Trump up as an actual good human being like Branco and Garrison do.

Obama: Hanging out and windsurfing with Richard Branson
Lester: HAHA OBAMA'S A LOSER LOOK AT HIS RAINBOW TIE

Obama: Going to Hawaii with Michelle and the kids
McCoy: OBAMA'S NAKED WITH HIS GUT HANGING OUT AND ASSAD'S MAKING FUN OF HIM

Obama: Reading the morning paper, having a cup of coffee
Garrison: OBAMA'S ENGINEERING A COUP FROM BEHIND THE SCENES

Yeah, you nailed it. We're moving ever closer to Trump's approval hitting the Crazification factor despite the economy being decent and the country not being in all-out military conflict (oopsie!), so all these true believers have to go with is booga booga Obama sucks.

But remember – you dare say anything about Bush in 2009 and you were just making excuses and also Obama caused the crash, QED, address my point libs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lodin posted:

Oh I hope Drybones tries to spin Spicey's shite. :allears:

He'll totally ignore it. Just like he said nothing about Bannon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

D.N. Nation posted:

But remember – you dare say anything about Bush in 2009 and you were just making excuses and also Obama caused the crash, QED, address my point libs.

Don't worry, next year when the market crashes bigly, it was all Obama's failed policies

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Selachian posted:

He'll totally ignore it. Just like he said nothing about Bannon.

I'd be honestly shocked if Israeli right-wing news has ever mentioned Bannon's name

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

latest mention of Bannon in Yisrael hayom:
http://www.israelhayom.co.il/article/466447

in hebrew, it briefly mentions that he was removed, no speculation as to why.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't worry, next year when the market crashes bigly, it was all Obama's failed policies

Well yeah.
"If he hadn't signed all these regulations into law, then we wouldn't have had to repeal them and cause this crash!"

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Fixed.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

Next Year in Jerusalem!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Googily eyes on a Holocaust victim, nice touch Stiglich. Throw in an a-ooga while you're at it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Vib Rib posted:

"It's not important what happened, or why, or how it affected relations, or the problems it creates, or how it does or doesn't line up with the policies Trump claims to have. Context, especially, does not matter -- neither for this president's actions, nor those of the last. What REALLY matters is I can stick it to "Obama's Legacy"."
What's up with this loving obsession over "Obama's Legacy"? McCoy, Ramirez, Branco, and a few others have been harping on it literally since the election. Do they just want to scrub any trace of Obama from the history books, or are they that intent on pissing on the idea of him? Or both?

I dunno, there's just something his presidency that darkens their opinions on the subject.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kirschen responds to Spicer's Hitler comments.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That's fantastic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was wondering how can Syria become even more of a clusterfuck and then Trump proved his love to the middle east with a bouquet of beautiful missiles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A familiar name in today's washington post:

Trudeau’s plan to legalize pot is an insult to Canadians

quote:

By J.J. McCullough

A string of broken promises — from tax cuts to electoral reform — has left Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau desperate for a quick win on one of his surviving marquee platform pledges. Thus, late last month, it was announced that his Liberal government would finally get around to legalizing marijuana, with the gimmicky kick-off date at one time even rumored to be set for April 20 — the traditional holy day of pot smokers.

Those who consume marijuana on a regular basis have been persuaded to swallow all manner of nonsense about the drug, from it’s supposedly miraculous medicinal properties (vigorously denied by the Canadian medical establishment) to its ability to unlock vast reserves of creative brilliance in otherwise dormant minds. Yet even by the standards of marijuana mythology, the idea that Trudeau’s pot legalization will be a straightforward process that will effect great demonstrable improvement — or even visible change — to Canadian society is an insulting con. If the prime minister seeks to derive any political benefit from the initiative it will come from the false hope he’s sowing in the present, not the unglamorous future that awaits.

To begin, the passage of any legalization bill in parliament will immediately force the ten provincial governments to pass regulatory legislation of their own. As former MP Brent Rathgeber noted in an insightful column, the provinces will be free to be as restrictive or draconian about this as they please — they “could authorize only one agent to sell marijuana, locate it on top of a mountain and limit its hours to 4 a.m. to 4:15 a.m. every second Christmas Day” — given the broad constitutional powers provincial governments hold over regulating intoxicants.

Rathgeber’s words remind that “legal” is not synonymous with “anything goes.” Driving is legal, but it is still possible to commit an endless assortment of crimes — from going too fast in a construction zone to not wearing a seatbelt to displaying an out-of-date license plate — while engaging in the practice. Alcohol and tobacco have been legal for decades, yet consuming or selling is governed by an elaborate latticework of criminal, provincial, federal, and municipal statutes.

Given that the evidence of pot’s physical harm has grown less ambiguous in recent years, no Canadian government seeks a world in which pot sales to minors, under-age consumption, selling without a license, or general public exposure continues or increases. The prime minister himself has repeatedly stated that one of his primary motives in legalizing the drug is to curb its currently high rates of use. In other words, legalization could very well make pot-related persecutions more common than now, given it will herald the end of Canada’s current status quo, in which most big cities explicitly do not enforce the politically unpopular pot laws presently on the books, and the beginning of a new era of arrests, trials, and even incarcerations to demonstrate how much better Trudeau’s promised “new, stronger laws” work.

What about tax revenues? A 2016 report from CIBC economist Avery Shenfeld estimated that legal pot could generate $5 billion a year in revenues– that is, if government can kill off the black market for the drug — an enormous stipulation. As The Beaverton recently observed in a satirical article (“Liberals plan legislation to make marijuana s****er, harder to get”), nothing is more efficiently distributed than an illegal good whose illegality is not enforced. High taxes and bureaucratic micromanagement actually encourage the persistence of illegal sales, which is why many of the American states where pot is legal have been forced to cut pot taxes to price out criminals, and why a quarter of all Ontarians buy tobacco on Indian reserves.

In any case,against the fashionable fantasy of a pot-fueled revenue boom, Prime Minister Trudeau has vowed any drug-generated cash will be funneled into addiction and education programs. A net profit would only be possible if legalization occurred in a context of lowered government spending on policing — which is to say, cop layoffs, since police don’t charge by the crime — and no government has given any indication that’s in the cards. Just the opposite in fact. Premier Wall’s government in Saskatchewan, for instance, has gone on the record stating it anticipates “ increased enforcement costs” relating to pot-impaired driving, “whether technology or additional police officers — or both.”

Legalizing marijuana will be a bizarre undertaking, one unprecedented in modern government. Ottawa is giving its explicit seal of approval — there may indeed be literal seals of approval — to a commercial product it has explicitly stated it believes the public should not consume. The state will exert enormous effort protecting the public for the risk they have willingly exposed them to, efforts which will only become more bossy and frantic as proof of pot’s dangerousness accumulates. Anti-pot laws and medical marijuana regulations which are barely being enforced at present will be swapped for an incoherent, unprofitable web of regulations that will please neither drug users nor those anticipating some great libertarian transformation of their society.

Voters will be asked to thank the prime minister for keeping his promise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trazz posted:

It really sticks in their craw that the first black president was, actually.

FTFY

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I seem to remember a good amount of obsession with Obamas legacy even before the election, possibly years before. I don't think it has much to do with Trump specifically.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

seiferguy posted:

If Republicans don't tear down Obama's image, people might look back at the things he did--and things he tried to do and/or at least talked about--and start demanding stuff like health care and livable wages and they won't be able to pass their tax cuts and eventually kill the federal government.

I think the Obama bashing comes from a lot of places, really, but I think that's one. Their elevation of Reagan to presidential sainthood has helped enable 30+ years of the Republican agenda.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Johnny Walker posted:

I think the Obama bashing comes from a lot of places, really, but I think that's one. Their elevation of Reagan to presidential sainthood has helped enable 30+ years of the Republican agenda.

Likewise, I suspect that Reagan's policies looking uglier and uglier with each passing year drives them to lash out ever harder.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Y'know, sometimes I think Branco is actually a satirist not unlike Kelly. How else could you come up with these absurdly idiotic cartoon premises?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It may be weird (and a low bar), but it kinda does my heart good to see most of the right-wing cartoonists not jumping to United's defense. Even they can see how much of a tone deaf disaster this is for that company.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It may be weird (and a low bar), but it kinda does my heart good to see most of the right-wing cartoonists not jumping to United's defense. Even they can see how much of a tone deaf disaster this is for that company.

I'm honestly surprised, myself.

When the story broke, my local paper had an article about it on their Facebook page, literally just "Here's a thing that happened."
And the sheer number of people saying "Well he should have given up his seat. He knew the agreement he was getting into. United was well within their rights." Was :psyduck:ing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

If the expelled passenger had been black or Muslim, you can be sure they'd have picked the opposite side.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

They are old men who fly in planes sometimes, which directly affects their lives.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Something something a metaphor about American involvement in the Middle East.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe95sn0cN3k

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pentaro posted:

How else could you come up with these absurdly idiotic cartoon premises?

Brain damage, and spite.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is anyone else getting a Quagmire vibe from the pilot?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gently caress you rawl

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

SomeMathGuy posted:

I hate that at no point in the process of making GBS threads out this cartoon did Ramirez think about how he supports literally every facet of our society that led to that incident.

That's the MO of the republican party in general "I like X, Y, and Z, because they sound awesome, I just hate the consequences."

An unironically great Dees.

:eyepop: I know Heller's not a bad guy, but there's really no way to read that other than "The nuclear option was a brave and great thing, as was the United incident."

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

From Austria

From Austria

From Brazil

From the Netherlands

From Austria

From Australia

From Russia

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson and Russia – Vladimir Putin is ‘toxifying the image of Russia’ by backing Bashar al-Assad and the G7 must consider fresh sanctions against Russia and Syria in response to last week’s chemical attack on civilians, Boris Johnson has said"

Telegraph:

University Challenge: Professor Stephen Hawking presents winners' trophy

Independent:

Times:

United Airlines passenger violently dragged from seat on overbooked flight

Mail:
Mac on... spice

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Weird that they both whitewash the guy.

quote:

lol at the Jerk badge.

e: Bramhall

e2: old Bramhall because I don't think I posted it, just intended to

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 12, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

:cripes: What, pray tell, does neoliberalism have to do with foreign policy?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shangri-Law School posted:

EVERYTHING! I made up this term to seperate American liberals I don't like from the Bernie supportersProgressives I do like! Bernie wouldn't have bombed anyone! OBAMA BAD!
BUY MY BOOK!
-Ted Rall

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HootTheOwl posted:

EVERYTHING! I made up this term to seperate American liberals I don't like from the Bernie supportersProgressives I do like! Bernie wouldn't have bombed anyone! OBAMA BAD!
BUY MY BOOK!
-Ted Rall

gently caress me, the Cspam plague has spread to another thread. I thought it was just in the "If Democrats aren't persecuting me, why do I keep insisting they are?" Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shangri-Law School posted:

loving around in the Middle East is a big thing with neolibs?

Let this be proof that Rall is so smug and lovely that he'll drive people to back legitimately bad policy.

• Locked thread