Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'd been thinking to myself that the palaces were supposed to be themed as classic caper locales but then I got to level 5 and I can't really think of any good heists set on a space station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I cannot accurately gauge how funny Persona 4 is because I watched the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
HEY RYAN WE'RE SUMMONING SATAN!

have fun you kids

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the rate for good answer in conversations? no notes: failure, one blue note : neutral, three blue notes: success?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurtofan posted:

What's the rate for good answer in conversations? no notes: failure, one blue note : neutral, three blue notes: success?

Notes just denote how much approval the answer got from the person. Not every dialogue choice has the ability to generate approval though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you have a persona of the same arcana then the range is 0-3. If you do not have a persona of the same arcana then the range is 0-2. Of course for some options there is no way to actually net any points.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Some people need the soothing sounds of a fan or rain to help fall asleep.

There's also some people who fall asleep to the blissful sound of a chocolate fountain running 24/7 in their dusty attic bedroom.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
operation maidwathc

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Really wish I had known earlier that you can hold down the square button on the map screen and it will show where all the confidents are located by name, and show whether you're ready to level up with them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
OH MY GOD

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

theblackw0lf posted:

Really wish I had known earlier that you can hold down the square button on the map screen and it will show where all the confidents are located by name, and show whether you're ready to level up with them.

You can WHAT??

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Some people need the soothing sounds of a fan or rain to help fall asleep.

There's also some people who fall asleep to the blissful sound of a chocolate fountain running 24/7 in their dusty attic bedroom.

I have to say my favorite running cutscene joke is Joker 'cleaning' by taking out the world's smallest feather duster and half-assedly dusting something stupid because inevitably someone is like "this is dirty as poo poo"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

When the maid you hire can't bother to clean your room you know it's bad.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

When the maid you hire can't bother to clean your room you know it's bad.

on that subject i appreciate how at max that confidant rips the hell out of the MC for being a slob and eating garbage before continuing the tradition of adult confidants being like 'uh yeah ofc i knew you were a phantom thief i'm not blind'

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I like to think Shinya is some kind of AU version of Naota from FLCL since they got Barbara Goodson as his VA. They kinda dress similar too, if you ignore the cool hat.

Adults are so stupid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

You can WHAT??

I feel like the game tells you this? Or maybe I read it in this thread. I fast travel through the menu so often I worry that I might be missing things or places out in the world

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Giving everyone codenames is a really good idea for a Japanese game filled with Japanese names reaching out internationally. My very unscientific polling shows that everyone on the internet can remember Ryuji and Anns name, but Yusuke is always referred to as Fox

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The main characters are easy to remember for me. Most of the secondary characters I have to refer to their Tarot. I am in the fourth Palace and I don't remember what the third boss's name even is

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Here's a list of stupid things I wish I knew at the beginning this game:

theblackw0lf posted:

you can hold down the square button on the map screen and it will show where all the confidants are located by name, and show whether you're ready to level up with them.

You can hold down the triangle during the EXP/Loot screens to make it end quicker.

You have a plant at the beginning of the game that gets you free kindness if you feed it plant food.

To begin Temperance after OPERATION: MAIDWATCH , you have to go to the school hallway and talk to Kawakami while she's being grilled by that other teacher first before making phone calls.

Tae is bae

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Caidin posted:

I'd been thinking to myself that the palaces were supposed to be themed as classic caper locales but then I got to level 5 and I can't really think of any good heists set on a space station.

The original Star Wars is about rescuing a princess from a space station, which is a kind of heist; Okumura dresses like Darth Vader and you're trying to save Haru

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The main characters are easy to remember for me. Most of the secondary characters I have to refer to their Tarot. I am in the fourth Palace and I don't remember what the third boss's name even is

I only remember Kaneshiros because I have a save file at every palace and I see Kamoshida, Madarame, Kaneshiro every time I start the game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A good way to up Kindness and Charm?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I do like how there's a mix of romantic confidants so a lot are either okay with, or flat out relieved, when you don't want to date them. Specifically thinking of Ann, Tae, Ohya and Hifumi here.

And then there are the ones that are absolutely crushed like Fortune girl or Haru if you turn them down.

Kurtofan posted:

A good way to up Kindness and Charm?

Kindness buy the best plant nutrients you can and apply them every 16 days to the plant in your room as it doesn't take time. Also work at the flower shop.

For Charm do the Sun and Devil links as they increase your charm with each rank.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Zore posted:

I do like how there's a mix of romantic confidants so a lot are either okay with, or flat out relieved, when you don't want to date them. Specifically thinking of Ann, Tae, Ohya and Hifumi here.

And then there are the ones that are absolutely crushed like Fortune girl or Haru if you turn them down.

Dont tell me this, im going to have a hard enough time turning down Chihaya already. Are you trying to make me cheat on Makoto

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Meme Emulator posted:

Dont tell me this, im going to have a hard enough time turning down Chihaya already. Are you trying to make me cheat on Makoto

dont you loving dare

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Don't worry, because you end up finding out that Chihaya is a rural hick

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Chihaya does a lot of "you like older women... right?" hinting for like her entire arcana and the scene where you turn her down is hilariously leading on her part and has one of the more dickish answers you can give.

"You came to see me for more than the fortune telling right?"

"Nope, just the fortune telling"

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Just got this game and I heard a Naoto reference and saw Rise posters in the subway.

Game is now bad.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
when would you ever use the "safe place" healing items? they don't work at palace entrances or save rooms.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Just got this game and I heard a Naoto reference and saw Rise posters in the subway.

Game is now bad.

Those are literally the only two references to any other Persona game unless you count Igor.

Also you can get a Rise poster as a souvenir I guess, but its the one from the subway.

MohShuvuu posted:

when would you ever use the "safe place" healing items? they don't work at palace entrances or save rooms.

They absolutely do work in save rooms though?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MohShuvuu posted:

??? They work in save rooms. The IVs that give you 50/100% healing?

The option to use them only shows up when youre having a conference with your pals, and then itll only show up if youre wounded.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

Using them is actually something you have to do at a huddle up in a save room.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they didn't cake who I was until i put on the mascarpone

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MohShuvuu posted:

You have to select it as a dialog option when talking to your dudes in save rooms.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really hate that I'm too dumb to hang out with Makoto cause I'm at like Rank 8 with Ann and really need to figure out who I'm dating soon

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

I really hate that I'm too dumb to hang out with Makoto cause I'm at like Rank 8 with Ann and really need to figure out who I'm dating soon

I have quite a few at rank 8 and I cant figure out who Im going to date. Its Probably going to be Makoto but Ive fallen for Ann, Chihaya and Kawakami too... ... ...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kurtofan posted:

operation maidwathc

You're the only one man enough to go through with it, which means that you're man enough to reap the rewards :getin:

I mean, it's pretty awesome to have someone who lets you dick around in class, make coffee/curry for you, clean your clothes, etc. I also find her social link hilarious because she keeps trying to stay in character but she eventually goes 'gently caress it' and takes a nap/rips you a new one.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Tae posted:

Don't worry, because you end up finding out that Chihaya is a rural hick

why would this make me worry what are you trying to say here

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Don't date Ann because she's perfectly happy without you and also literally falls out of the story once Makoto enters to an absurd degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Moltrey posted:

Once you can hang out with her, make sure if Makoto invites you to the movies you say yes.