Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Varance posted:

Theatrythm AC update: Record Keeper is in, complete with a playable Tyro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs8WgSG25vo

Just release the drat game on the Switch or whatever SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
loving Final Fantasy XV's OST does not have the third phase of the penultimate boss' theme, this is a travesty

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Also, regarding battle music: the Breath of Fire series had several different regular battle themes depending on where you were in the game, which was a good way to do it.

This is another reason why I love XIII-2. It has several different battle themes and even a couple locations where the normal area music keeps playing during battle.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 12, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Final Fantasy VII player gives life meaning by hitting level 99 before first boss
A lesson for us all

Two things in this world can make life meaningful: having the strength to forge your own destiny, to live by your own rules, and not be swayed by the whims and wishes of others; and really sticking it to some stranger on the internet. When Twitch streamer CirclMastr spent two years grinding through Final Fantasy VII to get Cloud and Barrett to level 99 before even facing the first boss, he achieved both.

As reported by Kotaku, this incredible, mind-numbingly boring feat was carried out in order to spite a single individual: an unknown user on a private forum named Dick Tree. Back in 2012, Dick Tree had claimed he would be able to hit level 99 in Final Fantasy VII without leaving the Sector 1 Reactor. But, at some point, Dick Tree stopped charting his progress, and CirclMastr decided to take up the task himself in 2015 — “to express,” he says, “my hatred, and more importantly my disdain, for Dick Tree.”

“I got fed up with waiting and, based on my track record of meaningless accomplishments, decided I could do the whole thing before he could bother to finish,” CirclMastr told Kotaku by email. Parts of this voyage were streamed on CirclMastr’s Twitch account, but you can see the final leveling take place at around 53 minutes below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqQo8r-_UQ

In order to hit the level cap, CirclMastr estimates that he spent around 500 hours walking around the same few screens in the reactor; grinding through random encounter after random encounter against low-level enemies. To make matters more challenging, the whole enterprise was carried out on a PS1; meaning CirclMastr could not frame-skip or save whenever he pleased.

Some people have pointed out what a tremendous, tremendous waste of time this is. Others have applauded it for being so quintessentially human, to pile hundreds of hours into a task simply to show you can. CirclMastr, though, has his own response, and explained why he kept on grinding in a post on a private forum:

code:
Life does not have inherent meaning; to say that our lives are pointless and our
achievements meaningless is to state the obvious. No matter how grand our 
achievements or how broad their scope, time turns all to dust and death destroys all
memory. But that does not mean we cannot ascribe our own meaning to what we do. It 
is because nothing has meaning unto itself that we are free to create meaning, to make
metaphor, and in doing so reflect on ourselves and our world.
Leveling to 99 in the first reactor is pointless and meaningless. So why do I do it? I do it to express my hatred, and more importantly my disdain, for Dick Tree. I do it to express the camaraderie I feel for those of us who have followed this topic for years only to be disappointed by [Dick Tree]. I do it to prove to myself that I can persevere. The act is meaningless; I give it meaning.
Truly inspiring.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
No one would oppose me if I say that's autistic, right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, that's a loving inspiration is what it is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Baal posted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But...why?
OUT OF HATRED FOR A MAN NAMED DICK TREE

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Baal posted:

Only if he also reset for optimal level gains.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
didn't that happen here?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I saw that unfold initially on the forum CirclMastr frequents and I find it hilarious that he followed through with it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Surely he was doing something else at the time too. The game couldn't have held his rapt attention for the 500 hour grind.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Can someone give the low-down on what kinda beef took place to inspire 500 hours of hatred vented through video game grinding

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ventana posted:

Can someone give the low-down on what kinda beef took place to inspire 500 hours of hatred vented through video game grinding

Ask anyone who did the full Relic and Anima weapon questlines in FFXIV :haw:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ventana posted:

Some other guy (named Dick Tree) said he was gonna do it but welshed on the claim.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Didn't some crazy french guy already do it years ago

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Didn't some crazy french guy already do it years ago
I don't know the nationality of the guy but yes, this has been done before

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I'm... just going to leave this one here. Rose of May from FF9. It's arranged for Dissidia, so you know what to expect.

https://soundcloud.com/takeharu-ishimoto/arrange-from-final-fantasy-ix

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Varance posted:

I'm... just going to leave this one here. Rose of May from FF9. It's arranged for Dissidia, so you know what to expect.

Technically, this isn't an arrange of Rose of May, but Something I Must Protect/Protecting my Devotion, the song that happens when Beatrix and Steiner are fighting the Mistodons in Alexandria.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pureauthor posted:

Technically, this isn't an arrange of Rose of May, but Something I Must Protect/Protecting my Devotion, the song that happens when Beatrix and Steiner are fighting the Mistodons in Alexandria.
Same thing with different instruments, plus both are a part of the arrangement. Whenever this particular song is remixed, it's usually listed as Rose of May in English and Protecting my Devotion in Japanese.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 12, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When FF9 came out I was talking with a kid who spent 20 hours grinding in the first forest because that's what he does for every FF release since 7 so he can just cruise through the story and it wasn't until I was older and wiser to do the double take where level grinding in 8 and 9 either makes the game harder or doesn't give you the benefits you need.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Varance posted:

Same thing with different instruments, plus both are a part of the arrangement. Whenever this particular song is remixed, it's usually listed as Rose of May in English and Protecting my Devotion in Japanese.

By "Rose of May in English" do you mean the fan version by Erutan/katethegreat?

In any event, my favorite version of Beatrix' Theme is her boss theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBTG6rRaYo4&t=82s

I still don't think the name makes any sense though. She never expresses any doubt when kicking your rear end and killing tons of people.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wow, goddamn. Grindy buttrock to start, snare interlude, a soft dissonant bridge on piano, a section where they pull the instruments back to focus on the vocal bit, and a key change guitar solo.

It's like someone slammed all my favorite musical touches together into a song I really like.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Varance posted:

What in the everloving hell did I just listen to?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zedprime posted:

When FF9 came out I was talking with a kid who spent 20 hours grinding in the first forest because that's what he does for every FF release since 7 so he can just cruise through the story and it wasn't until I was older and wiser to do the double take where level grinding in 8 and 9 either makes the game harder or doesn't give you the benefits you need.

It was 9 too? I thought the whole level scaling thing was only in 8.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
In 9 your stat gains are determined by the equipment you have on. That's why the absurd Excalibur 2 walkthrough is a level 1 game until the very end.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

What in the everloving hell did I just listen to?

It's rear end

Like I have not thought as poorly as most people here have of the other Dissidia arcade music, but turning that into a lovely metal cover is so bad

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

Has anyone here played FFIX on PC and found some kind of mod that improves the steal chances in the game? There seems to be rumours that the 9999 toggle increases steal chance to 100% but others say this doesn't work.

I don't want to go full 99 of everything but the stealing mechanics in this game are just broken. Also the learn abilities thing seems great.

I can cheat engine the timer for Excalibur 2 so that's not an issue.

Haven't found a mod, no (though I haven't been searching, to be honest). The 9999 toggle didn't work for me, so what I did was turn on the invulnerability and speed up toggles and watch Youtube on the other monitor. You still need to pay attention when fighting enemies that cast doom on you though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The synth piano and butt-rock refrain wreck that track. I liked the metal and vocals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Varance posted:

oh my god

This is my new background music every time this thread gets another FF13 derail.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Once in a playthrough of FF6, I decided to use a turbo button on the Lethe river after switching Banon's health at the top and walked away at the loop. When I came back, my characters were at level 60. Having Terra know Firaga, Arise, and Holy in the World of Balance was cool, but the fact that all of my characters were so stat-depressed made for a really sad playthrough.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saint Freak posted:

As reported by Kotaku, this incredible, mind-numbingly boring feat was carried out in order to spite a single individual: an unknown user on a private forum named Dick Tree. Back in 2012, Dick Tree had claimed he would be able to hit level 99 in Final Fantasy VII without leaving the Sector 1 Reactor. But, at some point, Dick Tree stopped charting his progress, and CirclMastr decided to take up the task himself in 2015 — “to express,” he says, “my hatred, and more importantly my disdain, for Dick Tree.”
Oh hey, that was a really old LUELinks topic. Back before it even namechanged to ETI.

...trap sprung, yeah yeah.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh hey, that was a really old LUELinks topic. Back before it even namechanged to ETI.

...trap sprung, yeah yeah.

One guess on who wrote the original Kotaku article. It was Prism

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

In 9 your stat gains are determined by the equipment you have on. That's why the absurd Excalibur 2 walkthrough is a level 1 game until the very end.

Yeah but the gains are so marginal that it only affects gameplay if you really focus it down, like grinding Quina or Vivi to have high Spirit (which, incidentally, is really the only stat that's easy to grow on most characters--everything else is gonna have pretty disappointing returns), or Speed on Zidane so you don't have to steal as many times to max Thievery.

I think he means grinding AP for equipment skills, which are just as important as levels in that game.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

oh my god

This is my new background music every time this thread gets another FF13 derail.

Here's a 30 minute long version. Given how long the 13 derails get, you might want to save it for future use. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv2fYvYG_X8

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My issue with that track is that the guitar playing the rhythm doesn't match the melody. Compare the original track, where the rhythm section actually complements the main melody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azX3Jfqfm_k

It's not like the rhythm part would have been tough to play on guitar, so I'm really left wondering why the heavy guitar is just playing the same chord over and over instead.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wow, goddamn. Grindy buttrock to start, snare interlude, a soft dissonant bridge on piano, a section where they pull the instruments back to focus on the vocal bit, and a key change guitar solo.

It's like someone slammed all my favorite musical touches together into a song I really like.

Here is my hot take:

It's only just barely OK and the singer being intentionally or unintentionally a bit off key is annoying

Captain Baal posted:

It's rear end

Like I have not thought as poorly as most people here have of the other Dissidia arcade music, but turning that into a lovely metal cover is so bad

There are good ways you could turn that song into metal, but that wasn't one of them

Kelp Me! posted:

My issue with that track is that the guitar playing the rhythm doesn't match the melody. Compare the original track, where the rhythm section actually complements the main melody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azX3Jfqfm_k

It's not like the rhythm part would have been tough to play on guitar, so I'm really left wondering why the heavy guitar is just playing the same chord over and over instead.

Because the arranger did a lovely job and it's meant to be a fanservicey song that will mostly get drowned out by sword slashes and poo poo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shoren posted:

One guess on who wrote the original Kotaku article. It was Prism
I can't think of him without thinking of the time that the Dragon's Crown developer called him gay with a Facebook post of the shirtless Dwarf art when he criticized the incredibly sexist Sorceress art.

and I'm not surprised at all

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

Final Fantasy VII player gives life meaning by hitting level 99 before first boss
A lesson for us all

Two things in this world can make life meaningful: having the strength to forge your own destiny, to live by your own rules, and not be swayed by the whims and wishes of others; and really sticking it to some stranger on the internet. When Twitch streamer CirclMastr spent two years grinding through Final Fantasy VII to get Cloud and Barrett to level 99 before even facing the first boss, he achieved both.

“I got fed up with waiting and, based on my track record of meaningless accomplishments, decided I could do the whole thing before he could bother to finish,” CirclMastr told Kotaku by email. Parts of this voyage were streamed on CirclMastr’s Twitch account, but you can see the final leveling take place at around 53 minutes below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqQo8r-_UQ

In order to hit the level cap, CirclMastr estimates that he spent around 500 hours walking around the same few screens in the reactor; grinding through random encounter after random encounter against low-level enemies. To make matters more challenging, the whole enterprise was carried out on a PS1; meaning CirclMastr could not frame-skip or save whenever he pleased.

Some people have pointed out what a tremendous, tremendous waste of time this is. Others have applauded it for being so quintessentially human, to pile hundreds of hours into a task simply to show you can. CirclMastr, though, has his own response, and explained why he kept on grinding in a post on a private forum:

code:
Life does not have inherent meaning; to say that our lives are pointless and our
achievements meaningless is to state the obvious. No matter how grand our 
achievements or how broad their scope, time turns all to dust and death destroys all
memory. But that does not mean we cannot ascribe our own meaning to what we do. It 
is because nothing has meaning unto itself that we are free to create meaning, to make
metaphor, and in doing so reflect on ourselves and our world.
Leveling to 99 in the first reactor is pointless and meaningless. So why do I do it? I do it to express my hatred, and more importantly my disdain, for Dick Tree. I do it to express the camaraderie I feel for those of us who have followed this topic for years only to be disappointed by [Dick Tree]. I do it to prove to myself that I can persevere. The act is meaningless; I give it meaning.
Truly inspiring.

Someone leveled to 100 in WoW through herbalism, nothing surprises me anymore. I'm dead inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

CirclMastr's a cool dude, posts in Let's Play a bit.