Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EduardoEspecial posted:

Ha, jokes on you. I'm always drunk. Don't need no coordination.

Playing MWO sober just pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So I reinstalled this because I am at a low point in life. I believe I am already in a clan/goon group, but just in case I think my pilot name is Flaggy.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'll add you to my list later flaggy, need to get some ROBIT on anyway

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

PathAsc posted:

I'll add you to my list later flaggy, need to get some ROBIT on anyway

Noice. Thanks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was bored so I removed the SRMs off my Huntsman, kept the four medium pulses and added an Ultra AC/10. Nothing special.

My average match score last night seems to have about doubled. gently caress if I can tell why. Maybe some people are just that shy about taking autocannon fire.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Because poking favors the huntsman. It's really slow but has jump jets and good firing points.

Jump jets and good firing points generally don't favor brawlers, which is why the SRM stormcrow excels at brawling with its larger engine size, lower firing points, and lack of JJs in favor of better heat management.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

Because poking favors the huntsman. It's really slow but has jump jets and good firing points.

Jump jets and good firing points generally don't favor brawlers, which is why the SRM stormcrow excels at brawling with its larger engine size, lower firing points, and lack of JJs in favor of better heat management.

Sounds about right actually.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The new skilltree is done and will be implemented on May the 16th! By the way, don't forget to try out the public test servers in April where you will be able to try the finished skill revamp, cause its not like it's not done yet right?
http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/04/1786-roadmap-for-april-may-beyond

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They could save themselves some heartache by telling us how they're preserving progress right now, instead of when it hits the public test.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Freakazoid_ posted:

They could save themselves some heartache by telling us how they're preserving progress right now, instead of when it hits the public test.

They'll tell us when they figure it out, which means they'll half-rear end something three days before and shovel it out to the test server.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I assume whatever is inside New Skill System Version 2 will still be based around just levelling one mech rather than the current three to master one chassis?

That was the bit about the revamp that I really liked. The rest... well I think we have similar ideas there.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

DancingShade posted:

I assume whatever is inside New Skill System Version 2 will still be based around just levelling one mech rather than the current three to master one chassis?

That was the bit about the revamp that I really liked. The rest... well I think we have similar ideas there.

What I can't figure out is what the overall goal of the revamp is? It's never been formally announced that I can find, and it's virtually impossible to evaluate if the changes meet the goals if you don't have any goals in the first place. To make such sweeping changes, so late in the game makes zero sense if you don't have an overwhelmingly important reason for doing so. Normally I would say that there is an underlying fiscal reason driving such a change, the new changes make it easier to monetize transactions etc, but I can't even see that. The initial pass massively punished first adopters and increased the grind tenfold but didn't appear to make the game any more money.

And to be utterly truthful here, I'm a whale. I've financed this game to an absurd amount starting back in beta all the way to today. The only thing I don't have is a gold mech, and it was a close decision there. I don't have a problem with PGI wanting to make money. Making money in theory allows them to make the game better. I don't even mind taking a hit during a revamp personally if it makes the game better, or allows them to do more (*cough* make quads or new graphics engine *cough*). But ever iteration I've seen punishes the current investors, doesn't make the game easier or more attractive to noobs, and doesn't advance the game in any appreciable way with new maps or a new backend to allow the developers more options, better hit reg, catch helios users.

Put simply, wtf are they trying to do with this?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The existing skill tree has been called temporary since day one. I assume they're trying to let players have a bit of control over what the mech is quirked for but no one at pgi seems to play the game or have any idea how to balance it so we get things like the low effort garbage we saw in the last pts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, Skill Tree Revamp is part of their effort to prove they're not actually shitbags and will at least attempt to live up to their pre-release promises. I'm genuinely unsure that there's another goal for this.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When you say something is temporary but take 5 years to fix it, it was not actually temporary.

Still, of all the things they've put to the test server, I think the skill tree deserves another shot. I would not have said that about anything else prior.

Weather they do this out of sincerity? It's kinda tough to tell because Russ is the perpetually huge naked hairy butthole making GBS threads on us from the top floor at all times.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zyphoid posted:

What I can't figure out is what the overall goal of the revamp is? It's never been formally announced that I can find, and it's virtually impossible to evaluate if the changes meet the goals if you don't have any goals in the first place. To make such sweeping changes, so late in the game makes zero sense if you don't have an overwhelmingly important reason for doing so. Normally I would say that there is an underlying fiscal reason driving such a change, the new changes make it easier to monetize transactions etc, but I can't even see that. The initial pass massively punished first adopters and increased the grind tenfold but didn't appear to make the game any more money.

And to be utterly truthful here, I'm a whale. I've financed this game to an absurd amount starting back in beta all the way to today. The only thing I don't have is a gold mech, and it was a close decision there. I don't have a problem with PGI wanting to make money. Making money in theory allows them to make the game better. I don't even mind taking a hit during a revamp personally if it makes the game better, or allows them to do more (*cough* make quads or new graphics engine *cough*). But ever iteration I've seen punishes the current investors, doesn't make the game easier or more attractive to noobs, and doesn't advance the game in any appreciable way with new maps or a new backend to allow the developers more options, better hit reg, catch helios users.

Well loving said. Also I am forever not letting you live down unironically considering to buy a gold mech.

I tried to buy a gold stormcrow with my old debit card and the bank declined it pending authorization because it was flagged as a scam.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Zyphoid posted:

It's a C-Bill and MC sink. I was linked to a (surprisingly) good post on the hugbox reddit about it, someone broke it down. We've also known that Russ & Paul think there are too many CB in the "economy" which is retarded because you can't exchange your CB to anyone, but none the less they're not happy with the fact that a fairly large amount of their most dedicated players have the spare CB sitting around to just... buy mechs when they come out for general release instead of having to grind and/or buy CB from the store. Similarly, they want to deplete the fairly large stockpiles of MC that many players are sitting on, and the skill tree's grindiness is designed to facilitate both of these goals.

As far as a design goal, I think it's because the skill tree was designated as placeholder since its inception, and they just want to tick off that box so they can say "Yep no more features from closed beta here." The survivability branch of the tree combined with the stupidity of the weapons tree seem like they were designed to increase TTK, but then the survival tree got nerfed and weapons got buffed so I have no loving idea there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's retarded because as long as there is an option to take extra hp that will always be the best option to take.

I've said it before but they really need an xcom style either or system. Create a few different archtypes like brawler, sniper, flanker,etc and then give each mech access to two of them. From there, adjust bonus values off the baseline as needed for under/over performing chassis.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Great Beer posted:

It's retarded because as long as there is an option to take extra hp that will always be the best option to take.

This is only true if the HP option far outweighs all other options. Kind of like how accel/decel/speed tweak/anchor are going to almost always be priority picks (except in freak cases) because of how significant of a bonus they give.

I have more than just a few builds that only dip into the survivability tree, and iirc when I was going through it I only barely scraped into it on my atlas builds. On high mobility mechs and totally dedicated gunboats in particular it is much more important to get the firepower, operations, and mobility quirks than it is to get anything from the survivability tree, because those will keep you positioned and shooting so that you won't even have to worry about getting shot for appreciable damage in the first place. IMO survivability tree still loses out in importance to getting radar deprivation and seismic sensors from the sensor trees.

Getting 20% more armor and structure on a light isn't jack poo poo, and you're better off taking skills that will make it less likely for you to be hit and/or increase your damage output in fatter mechs.

The way I think of it: Would I rather have a dire wolf that can get shot in the face 20% more, or would I rather have a dire wolf that doesn't get left behind and picked apart and can actually bring its huge piles of guns to bear in the fight?

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 12, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yes, that is what they need to do. Years and years ago back in beta when I still thought the game would change I made a super :effort: post with mockup images, a five-page writeup, etc etc, and even then it was clear that you have to branch those things off or there's just going to be a single best build when you give so much granularity.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I hate myself and started playing this because I needed a Mechwarrior fix. Someone send me an invite to a thing, bonus it involves killing freebirth scum with an Adder. Name is MohawkSatan in game.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What do you get when you combine a King Crab and telling the concept of surviveability and efficiency to go gently caress itself? A 91.6 alpha strike
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=1837e2463036363bdd8dccc334c10216395ab06d

Ive yet to use all of the ammo, i might trade a ton of AC20 for another heat sink.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Great Beer posted:

What do you get when you combine a King Crab and telling the concept of surviveability and efficiency to go gently caress itself? A 91.6 alpha strike
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=1837e2463036363bdd8dccc334c10216395ab06d

Ive yet to use all of the ammo, i might trade a ton of AC20 for another heat sink.

You sir, need to meet the "Fire Everything"
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=406&l=bde2a863958917bb277c248ba54d3f51491c98ec

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Anita Dickinme posted:

I tried to buy a gold stormcrow with my old debit card and the bank declined it pending authorization because it was flagged as a scam.

lol!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
can you paint your gold mechs to hide your shame or does it list it like MDG-GOLD anyways

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

can you paint your gold mechs to hide your shame or does it list it like MDG-GOLD anyways

(G)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh you want lasers too?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=b3597df12fc09ce0a3032b5e99c3b13852ffeee5

:colbert:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There's an event this weekend if anyone needs an excuse to get online and play some matches: https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201704easter

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Get in a Jenner iic, nova, or viper and vomit on everything, makes sure to overheat at least once, you win.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
dangly cockpit things :effort:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
dangly cockpit things make me hard

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

There's a decal too!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

And a couple million cbills.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Today I made an entire group lose their poo poo by running around in front of them showing off my jenner's bright red thong (with arrows pointing at it).

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
After a limited amount of playing, I can say that lights are the best. Run fast, poke butts, use ECM all day

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The decal sucks rear end and the best mech to do everything in is obviously a timberwolf.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MohawkSatan posted:

After a limited amount of playing, I can say that lights are the best. Run fast, poke butts, use ECM all day

agreed my man

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So it turns out this whole loving time I've been doing it wrong by not owning a VPR-C. This thing is hilariously fun with small pulses and insanely blinding cockpit level MGs. Wish I'd bought one sooner.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
paging veedub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's the good version of the penishawk if I decide to snag one this event?

• Locked thread