Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i want to try f# some day

i guess i can hold my nose and ignore the terribleness of the .net standard library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

gonadic io posted:

code:
foo()
{
  val x = ...
  doThing()
}

Why does it think the block is an argument to foo? foo is clearly being called with no arguments.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Doom Mathematic posted:

Why does it think the block is an argument to foo? foo is clearly being called with no arguments.

Currying. Foo() () or foo() {} are both perfectly valid scala syntax if you have
def foo() () =...

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

i guess i can hold my nose and ignore the terribleness of the .net standard library

actually .net has the best stdlib

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

gonadic io posted:

i wanted to use blocks to scope some code so i could have variables with the same name

did you now

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gonadic io posted:

i wanted to use blocks to scope some code so i could have variables with the same name

i think the fault's not in your kleene stars here

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
gently caress mutability

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

gonadic io posted:

gently caress mutability

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

gonadic io posted:

gently caress mutability

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

gonadic io posted:

gently caress mutability

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Muck futability

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
so when you pass a giant blob of data off to a function and it returns a BRAND NEW object with w/e 1-bit change you wanted, is there any acknowledgment of the runtime actually copying and shuffling all this data around behind the scenes to keep up the "immutable" fiction? or is that like ladder step 4: why is my performance poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mute fuckability?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

JawnV6 posted:

so when you pass a giant blob of data off to a function and it returns a BRAND NEW object with w/e 1-bit change you wanted, is there any acknowledgment of the runtime actually copying and shuffling all this data around behind the scenes to keep up the "immutable" fiction? or is that like ladder step 4: why is my performance poo poo

you talking about copy on write? depends on the lang i guess but idk compare addresses or introspect the data or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

usually you'd get back an object which contains the big blob plus a small notice to remember that one bit changed, though with a fair bit moe intelligence as you'd supposedly be using some higher-level data structure where this may be represented. either way immutable data structure tend to be all about amortized performance and lazily doing merges of many small changes into a new thing

it is not the be-all end-all, but it works for a lot of stuff

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

you pass that stuff to a C escape hatch and pretend all is well.

Otherwise functional data is usually organized in some form of tree that branches to various degrees so that all your modifications take O(log n) complexity and you get a new tree root with most of the branches and leaves shared with the original one while also pointing at the new log n nodes you needed to modify yours. Garbage collection is assumed to be there and is essential to reap the remnants of old trees to remember your program's state by.

You can then put on your computer scientist and functional weenie hats (the latter reads "Make functional programming great againimmutably remain great") and fudge numbers enough that once-in-while costly operations (such as reversing one of the two lists required to make an opaque circular one) are calculated as amortized over all the other operations (you take a credit on the future reversal as part of each insert and decide it is amortized overall in your math) to then go "no no, overall this is still O(1) per operation despite the cost of reversal being O(n)" (memoizing may be required for mathematical completeness, or never repeating an operation on the same source data structure if you do not memoize)

Such is the Okasaki approach to functional data structure argumentation.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 12, 2017

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

the .net std lib is really good

unless you're talking about .net core, in which case i think it's not as good

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MononcQc posted:

you pass that stuff to a C escape hatch and pretend all is well.

Otherwise functional data is usually organized in some form of tree that branches to various degrees so that all your modifications take O(log n) complexity and you get a new tree root with most of the branches and leaves shared with the original one while also pointing at the new log n nodes you needed to modify yours. Garbage collection is assumed to be there and is essential to reap the remnants of old trees to remember your program's state by.

that makes a lot of sense

i work on embedded runtimes for C folks, standing athwart hardware yelling Stop at dynamic memory allocation

like i KNOW y'all aren't running out of write-once NV, there's probably mutable RAM in there that machinery is hiding from the FP weenie side of things, but didn't have a clear picture of how that abstraction was maintained

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

that makes a lot of sense

i work on embedded runtimes for C folks, standing athwart hardware yelling Stop at dynamic memory allocation

like i KNOW y'all aren't running out of write-once NV, there's probably mutable RAM in there that machinery is hiding from the FP weenie side of things, but didn't have a clear picture of how that abstraction was maintained

The standard image explaining it is this:

when any reference to xs is gone, it can finally be GC'd, and then similarly for all the data it alone references. Interestingly enough, when you have immutable data structures, the GC algorithm becomes a lot simpler, and in many cases, can be a lot more efficient because it can make more assumptions about data without risks of breaking anything.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
it's basically the same way Git handles its object store - a DAG of objects, where changes only propagate as far down the tree as they need to so that most of the tree can be reused on each commit. its gc even works the same.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
also 95% of the code i write isn't repeatedly mutating big objects in tight loops

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the main problems I have with f# are

1. it seriously uses singly linked lists as its default list type, probably so fp nerds can write head :: tail and feel good about themselves and

2. the f# standard lib and .net standard lib kinda chafe against each other in their conventions

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also while we're at it, the underlying memory model is fun to dig into, too.

In the case of Erlang, the VM organizes memory into multiple allocators:

Each scheduler of the VM, on each core, owns its own version of these allocators, which is kind of layered. sys_alloc and mseg_alloc are used to interact with the OS and carry all the memory on their own.

The 9 sub-allocators are used for different types of memory in the VM:

1. temp_alloc: does temporary allocations for short use cases (such as data living within a single C function call).
  2. eheap_alloc: heap data, used for things such as the Erlang processes’ heaps and stacks.
  3. binary_alloc: the allocator used for reference counted binaries (what their ’global heap’ is). Reference counted binaries stored in an ETS table remain in this allocator.
  4. ets_alloc: ETS tables (an in-memory db) store their data in an isolated part of memory that isn’t garbage collected, but allocated and deallocated as long as terms are being stored in tables. Memory in there is mutable, but terms transiting in and out of there get copied.
  5. driver_alloc: used to store driver data in particular, which doesn’t keep drivers that generate Erlang terms from using other allocators. The driver data allocated here contains locks/mutexes, options, Erlang ports (file descriptors), etc.
  6. sl_alloc: short-lived memory blocks will be stored there, and include items such as some of the VM’s scheduling information or small buffers used for some data types’ handling.
  7. ll_alloc: long-lived allocations will be in there. Examples include Erlang code itself and the atom table, which stay there.
  8. fix_alloc: allocator used for frequently used fixed-size blocks of memory. One example of data used there is the internal processes’ C struct, used internally by the VM.
  9. std_alloc: catch-all allocator for whatever didn’t fit the previous categories. The process registry for named process is there.

Each of these sub-allocators will request memory from mseg_alloc and sys_alloc depending on the use case, and in two possible ways. The first way is to act as a multiblock carrier (mbcs), which will fetch chunks of memory that will be used for many Erlang terms at once. For each mbc, the VM will set aside a given amount of memory (about 8MB by default in our case, which can be configured by tweaking VM options), and each term allocated will be free to go look into the many multiblock carriers to find some decent space in which to reside.

Whenever the item to be allocated is greater than the single block carrier threshold (sbct), the allocator switches this allocation into a single block carrier (sbcs). A single block carrier will request memory directly from mseg_alloc for the first mmsbc (a configurable counter) entries, and then switch over to sys_alloc and store the term there until it’s deallocated.

Whenever a multiblock carrier (or the first mmsbc single block carriers) can be reclaimed, mseg_alloc will try to keep it in memory for a while so that the next allocation spike that hits your VM can use pre-allocated memory rather than needing to ask the system for more each time. This may look a bit like this:

You then need to know the different memory allocation strategies of the Erlang virtual machine.

1. Best fit: the VM builds a balanced binary tree of all the free blocks’ sizes, and will try to find the smallest one that will accommodate the piece of data and allocate it there.
  2. Address order best fit: will work similarly, but the tree instead is based on the addresses of the blocks. So the VM will look for the smallest block available that can accommodate the data, but if many of the same size exist, it will favor picking one that has a lower address.
  3. Address order first fit: will favor the address order for its search, and as soon as a block fits, it uses it.
  4. Address order first fit carrier best fit: will first favor a carrier that can accommodate the size and then look for the best fit within that one.
  5. Address order first fit carrier address order best fit: will be similar to aoffcbf, but if multiple areas within a carrier have the same size, it will favor the one with the smallest address between the two rather than leaving it unspecified.
  6. Good fit: will try to work like best fit, but will only search for a limited amount of time. If it doesn’t find a perfect fit there and then, it will pick the best one encountered so far. The value is configurable.
  7. A fit: behaviour for temporary data that looks for a single existing memory block, and if the data can fit, it uses it. If the data can’t fit, it allocates a new one.

This helps give some interesting approaches to data allocation, compaction, and cache reuse :toot:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MononcQc posted:

You can then put on your computer scientist and functional weenie hats (the latter reads "Make functional programming great againimmutably remain great")

i giggled at this :ohdear:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

MononcQc posted:

fleshweasel posted:

1. it seriously uses singly linked lists as its default list type, probably so fp nerds can write head :: tail and feel good about themselves and

If I understand the diagram correctly, with a singly-linked list, you can modify the head with no real penalty, but modifying the last entry in the list involves creating an entirely new list.

So, if you had a doubly-linked list, it wouldn't be possible to make any modifications to the list without creating an entirely new list. Maybe that's the rationale?

I suppose there are other list implementations which could have been used, I'm not so hot on data structures though.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

If I understand the diagram correctly, with a singly-linked list, you can modify the head with no real penalty, but modifying the last entry in the list involves creating an entirely new list.

So, if you had a doubly-linked list, it wouldn't be possible to make any modifications to the list without creating an entirely new list. Maybe that's the rationale?

I suppose there are other list implementations which could have been used, I'm not so hot on data structures though.
Problem with a doubly linked list is that to attach two elements together, one must not exist before the other, and they must not be modified, otherwise you'll mutate it. You can't have doubly-linked and immutable lists in that sense.

The way to make a doubly linked list (or a ring buffer) is to use two lists as a zipper.

The list [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10] gets to actually be represented (and iterated) as:

[] [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[1] [2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[2,1] [3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[3,2,1] [4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[4,3,2,1] [5,6,7,8,9,10]
[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10] []

You walk around the list by maintaining buffers of the old ones, and insertions at the point you navigate to is then O(1). For example, inserting 1337 in:

[4,3,2,1] [5,6,7,8,9,10]

is done by just inserting it O(1) at the front:

[4,3,2,1] [1337,5,6,7,8,9,10]

As you rewind the list or re-modify it, you get cheap iteration. This is all done behind proper abstractions so you don't get to care about how it works unless you implement it of course.

Memory use is still more intensive though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Yeah making a stack in Haskell is trivial but a queue is less so ( good one to think about)

Of course with laziness you can create monstrosities like 2-3 finger trees that are log time for just about everything

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I found it

I found the functional weenie hat

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

MononcQc posted:

Problem with a doubly linked list is that to attach two elements together, one must not exist before the other, and they must not be modified, otherwise you'll mutate it. You can't have doubly-linked and immutable lists in that sense.

The way to make a doubly linked list (or a ring buffer) is to use two lists as a zipper.

The list [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10] gets to actually be represented (and iterated) as:

[] [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[1] [2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[2,1] [3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[3,2,1] [4,5,6,7,8,9,10]
[4,3,2,1] [5,6,7,8,9,10]
[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10] []

You walk around the list by maintaining buffers of the old ones, and insertions at the point you navigate to is then O(1). For example, inserting 1337 in:

[4,3,2,1] [5,6,7,8,9,10]

is done by just inserting it O(1) at the front:

[4,3,2,1] [1337,5,6,7,8,9,10]

As you rewind the list or re-modify it, you get cheap iteration.

Memory use is still more intensive though.

Fun fact: the type of a zipper is the algebraic formal derivative of the type of the container its zipping over (up to isomorphism)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Fun fact: the type of a zipper is the algebraic formal derivative of the type of the container its zipping over (up to isomorphism)

I prefer the bit where oleg comes in and uses call/cc to make a generic one for any data type without any math required

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

MononcQc posted:

I prefer the bit where oleg comes in and uses call/cc to make a generic one for any data type without any math required

If u say the word continuation 3 times in front of a repl Oleg will appear and solve your problem but in cps

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It's great that in fp iterating through a doubly linked list apparently requires allocation at every step

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Maybe your lists aren't lazy enough if they can't be doubly linked but this stuff always ties my brain into knots

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MononcQc posted:

when any reference to xs is gone, it can finally be GC'd, and then similarly for all the data it alone references. Interestingly enough, when you have immutable data structures, the GC algorithm becomes a lot simpler, and in many cases, can be a lot more efficient because it can make more assumptions about data without risks of breaking anything.
was wondering how you'd re-use an old object without a complex 'how did i get here' pointer model, but duh you just break out the new tree to the root and pathways into the old are one-way

simplified gc reasoning makes me wonder if anyone's doing FP runtimes on top of CHERI or any of the RISC-V memory protection models or if those types of mixes are boring/unnecessary in the first place

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

was wondering how you'd re-use an old object without a complex 'how did i get here' pointer model, but duh you just break out the new tree to the root and pathways into the old are one-way

simplified gc reasoning makes me wonder if anyone's doing FP runtimes on top of CHERI or any of the RISC-V memory protection models or if those types of mixes are boring/unnecessary in the first place

did someone say risc-v memory protection models

my friend, fictional software taking advantage of fictional features of fictional microarchitectures is the entire rhyme and reason of risc-v

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
there's one guy i follow on mastodon that exclusively posts about risc-v memory models and i just wonder how he does it so much without chafing

like imagine all the goofy poo poo you could cram into 128b addresses. ASLR? lol just put a 'key' in the upper bits, they'll never find you!

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

MononcQc posted:

You can then put on your computer scientist and functional weenie hats (the latter reads "Make functional programming great againimmutably remain great") and fudge numbers enough that once-in-while costly operations (such as reversing one of the two lists required to make an opaque circular one) are calculated as amortized over all the other operations (you take a credit on the future reversal as part of each insert and decide it is amortized overall in your math) to then go "no no, overall this is still O(1) per operation despite the cost of reversal being O(n)" (memoizing may be required for mathematical completeness, or never repeating an operation on the same source data structure if you do not memoize)

Such is the Okasaki approach to functional data structure argumentation.

Characterizing the techniques in Okasaki as "no no, overall this is still O(1) per operation despite the cost of reversal being O(n)" is straight up incorrect. The final queue implementation is legit O(1) on every operation. The trick is to perform a step or two of reversing the second stack every time a new element is added to or removed from the queue through clever usage of lazy evaluation. That way the memoization you're talking about is only a constant factor speedup.

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 13, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doom Mathematic posted:

The reason linked lists are a bad default list type is they have much worse CPU cache performance (among other things) than array lists. Google's rule of thumb for when to use a linked list over an array is if that you do an order of magnitude more removals/additions in the middle of the list than you do traversals, use a linked list; otherwise, use an array list. Which doesn't even apply to immutable singly linked lists, they're just lovely and slow and dumb.

This is why every Haskell programmer that makes real software (oxymoron?) will tell you to stay the gently caress away from String and use one of the many Data.Text variants which are array-backed.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gonadic io posted:

gently caress mutability
mutability might not be bad at all if you do it like rust

• immutable by default
  • you can turn on non-aliased mutability when you do need it for a certain scope
  • global mutable state requires using the unsafe keyword
  • and there's still stuff for aliased mutability but it's not the first thing you reach for

i feel like these constraints let you reason locally about mutability and might negate a lot of the advantages an immutable data structure might have in improving reasoning about the program while also retaining the performance benefits of mutable data structures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

here's a good article about how non-aliased mutability improves program understanding
http://manishearth.github.io/blog/2015/05/18/the-problem-with-shared-mutability/

quote:

Aliasing with mutability in a sufficiently complex, single-threaded program is effectively the same thing as accessing data shared across multiple threads without a lock