Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

one big contributor to Dems' problems is that they've written off large portions of the country as "not winnable" and entirely pulled all investment out of those areas in order to focus more resources on a few purple races, as chosen by algorithms and big data. many of the most commonly cited "not winnable" areas (like KS-04 or West Virginia) were blue or tossups back in the Clinton era, though. in their fanatical pursuit of technocratically optimizing campaign spending, they've let entire state parties crumble into discouraged helpless apathy, and the state and local polling that forms the basis of their data-driven operation has repeatedly demonstrated itself to be badly unreliable. and to cap the whole thing off, the Dems often lose even when they do outspend the Republicans

KS-04 tied into pretty much all of that. the Kansas Dems were making gains in the 00s, but they've been utterly shredded on every level ever since the national party switched to their current data-driven style of disbursing funding and the state party itself is in serious decline. if I'm reading the FEC right, in 2014, the Kansas Democratic Party spent $17,500 across all Kansas races (that's four House races and a Senate race) and the national party contributed zilch - not a single cent. in 2016, the Kansas Democratic Party apparently spent NOTHING, though the DCCC saw fit to put a whopping $5,000 into KS-03. Meanwhile, all the Republican candidates had seven-digit campaign funds

dont worry, funding doesnt matter in this particular race for unknown, unspecified, and not at all manufactured reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dem loses by 6.8 points after being outspent 2-1: good result, and frankly, are we really going to waste money on a flyover state electioN???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Turdfuzz posted:

video games killed my whole family

same

drat you dysentery :rip:

Uncle Wemus posted:

What boston thread

In the LAN subforum. Click the usernames in the quotes, that'll get you there

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Productive avenue of discussion: what board- and/or tabletop game would you say the dem party is right now?

I'm thinking Paranoia.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/852218654410383366

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Main Paineframe posted:

meanwhile, California Dems have their eye on what's really important - moving the California Dem primary to March

oh thank Christ, us going last was loving bullshit

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

Serious congressional candidate Brianna Wu, file photo

delete this before powercrazy sees it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zhulik posted:

Productive avenue of discussion: what board- and/or tabletop game would you say the dem party is right now?

I'm thinking Paranoia.

said it earlier: d&d 3.5. only the elites (wizards) get to have any fun and the rest of us get nothing

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zhulik posted:

I'm thinking Paranoia.

Sorry!

Thanks folks please tip your waitress

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

can you explain this using only really small words? i have to explain this to a 9 year old i found wandering around on a field because Trump's ICEstaffel deported his mom during soccer practice.

Democrats are bad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh thank Christ, us going last was loving bullshit

whoa partner lets slow our roll here... letting california matter at all is going a step too far. maybe we should hear what Nebraska has to say first...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

videogames are killing america

Hillary? Is that u?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i still think the primaries should be randomized every four years

looks like the first slot goes to... Alaska! have fun in Nome, candidates!

Serf
May 5, 2011

all primaries should happen all at the same time for both parties and in all states

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
democrats

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Serf posted:

all primaries should happen all at the same time for both parties and in all states

bernie...wouldn't have won

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Serf posted:

said it earlier: d&d 3.5. only the elites (wizards) get to have any fun and the rest of us get nothing

playing a low level wizard is pretty bullshit though

magic missile once, maybe twice, then sit on your thumbs until you can take a nap

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

Nah. Primary's shouldn't follow state lines though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Primary order should be based on which states submit the best musical acts to a national broadcast event like Eurovision

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

UHD posted:

magic missile once, maybe twice, then sit on your thumbs until you can take a nap

just lol

bad dem thread is also bad wizard thread

fill your slots with grease & color spray, win

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Serf posted:

That's a terrible idea unless you only want the most establishment, big name candidates to ever win anything.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Jazerus posted:

fill your slots with grease & color spray, win

calm down there tiger

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Primary order should be based on which states submit the best musical acts to a national broadcast event like Eurovision

i agree California should go first

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

UHD posted:

calm down there tiger

i'm real calm now that all the goblins are sleeping and/or falling over repeatedly like a cartoon

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

UHD posted:

hahahahahaha yes "magic missile" is definitely the best that a Wizard can do at level 1

or you could cast good spells like Sleep, Grease and Color Spray to just auto-win entire combat encounters

e;fb

but for real you have no idea how to play Wizard

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Washington: Macklemore with a song about saying no to drugs
Colorado: Phish cover band that forgot their instruments at the airport haha Dennis was so blazed, man
Tennessee: Some honky-tonk dirtbag who thinks Jesus is neat
California: Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q cause every scouter in the room to shatter from their unbeleivable power levels

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

Washington: Macklemore with a song about saying no to drugs
Colorado: Phish cover band that forgot their instruments at the airport haha Dennis was so blazed, man
Tennessee: Some honky-tonk dirtbag who thinks Jesus is neat
California: Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q cause every scouter in the room to shatter from their unbeleivable power levels

this is definitely true

colorado bluegrass festival is phishfans as far as the eye can wander before shutting in a haze of smoke

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Brianna has worked for Republican campaigns and has ridiculous ideas about government, but the incumbent Democrat in that district is the Platonic ideal of "conservative democrat", so :shrug:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

i agree California should go first

they're trying to pass a bill that would make them third permanently

which is :lol: because

Thoguh posted:

That's a terrible idea unless you only want the most establishment, big name candidates to ever win anything.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

yeah not gonna lie I never played 3.5e no one I knew wanted less than 4e and I didn't give enough of a poo poo to argue

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gringostar posted:

they're trying to pass a bill that would make them third permanently

which is :lol: because

i demand we be allowed to earn the right to go first by decimating all the rest of you laughable scrubs in musical combat

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
- national primary on the first tuesday in march

- coincides with new national, mandatory, town meeting day

- require use of republican party of iowa caucus process rules

:boom: problem solved

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you gotta admit it's pretty funny that the dems will means test everyting including their own candidates

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

cmon Vermont boy lets you and us tussle in the Music Thunderdome for primary rights

unless ya scared

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

but joementum the purpose of having elections on tuesday and also caucuses is to lower voter participation

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i still think the primaries should be randomized every four years

looks like the first slot goes to... Alaska! have fun in Nome, candidates!

my first act as president will be to accelerate global warming to thaw out this horrible state

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also no way in hell should the national primary be in march, i dont want the general election campaign to last eight loving months

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

Speaking of losing Michigan, here's a funny behind the scenes look from when hilldog lost Michigan to Bernie(hwhw)
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/328405-clinton-campaign-plagued-by-bickering

The Muppets On PCP posted:

one one hand it's heartening that she learned from the 2008 primary to not let her campaign devolve into two factions one of which is led by idiots who don't know how anything works

on the other hand it's disheartening that she decided to let the faction led by idiots who don't know how anything works run her last campaign

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

UHD posted:

yeah not gonna lie I never played 3.5e no one I knew wanted less than 4e and I didn't give enough of a poo poo to argue

4E is and was a much better game than 3.5 so I'm genuinely glad you got to experience it instead

3.5 was a bad system full of trap choices for the unwary and the strong options were far from obvious to a new player- unless you paid attention at the time there is no real reason to know what the "good" choices were because it was almost purposefully designed to make your initial instincts wrong (and also there is and was a healthy contingent of people with extremely bad opinions about game design/balance who were happy to argue that everything was totes fine despite amble evidence to the contrary)

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

UHD posted:

for good reason, even though 3.5 is a real nerd paradise the problem is that well-played wizards autowin against a dm that doesn't really know his poo poo

on that note

• Locked thread