Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

He has a name, dammit! It's General Antoc Merrick, and his 'stache is one with the Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've taught probably twenty people to play, several of which have reached my level.

Play against bad players and you learn bad habits. Play against a good player who is willing to talk through the decision making process so you learn what good habits look like.

I'd like to get in on this, too, even if it's as observer. I am also aggressively bad despite playing for like a 1.5 years now.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd like to get in on this, too, even if it's as observer. I am also aggressively bad despite playing for like a 1.5 years now.

Even if you can't catch people in person, you can always go find a top 8 or above game at a system open regional, pause every time dials are set and think through your moves. See where you differ and see if your can figure out why. Sometimes it's a wash, but often you'll catch huge mistakes that the actual player avoided.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Newbie here, trying this list out at a store tourney tomorrow, thoughts? It's original trilogy only ships with Palp and TLTs banned.

99 points

PILOTS

Tomax Bren (35)
TIE Bomber (24), Crack Shot (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Ion Pulse Missiles (3), Guidance Chips (0)

“Howlrunner” (19)
TIE Fighter (18), Crack Shot (1)

Black Squadron Pilot (15) x 3
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Newbie here, trying this list out at a store tourney tomorrow, thoughts? It's original trilogy only ships with Palp and TLTs banned.

99 points

PILOTS

Tomax Bren (35)
TIE Bomber (24), Crack Shot (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Ion Pulse Missiles (3), Guidance Chips (0)

“Howlrunner” (19)
TIE Fighter (18), Crack Shot (1)

Black Squadron Pilot (15) x 3
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

Threw this on the Squad Builder:

Tomax Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
Homing Missiles (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Crack Shot (1)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Seems OK for a TIE Swarm, though if it were me, I'd sacrifice one of the Black Squadron TIES to beef up your remaining ships, like adding the "Wampa" pilot.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Rebel Captive is fun on Tomax. Disincentivizes attacking him and lets him sucker punch some.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
To anyone who wanted to play a game or two on Tabletop Simulator: I'll be on in about half an hour to try to get a game going.

Steam ID is Fuzzlewhack

Game name is "sax wangs" password is lljk

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 13, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: Someone got really butthurt that Aaron doesn't post lists from the Stele Open. It was specifically Destiny, but you can look at list juggler online and X-wing is also absent. There's a huge rant and it's ongoing on fb right now but the relevant bit is below:

quote:

Decklists are expected to be provided after a national or regional event. That is standard practice, and you were advertising that this was the largest Destiny Tournament to date. The community is much more important than the wishes of a few players that are concerned their single pieces of "tech" in their lists will ruin their chances are worlds if they are exposed.

I guess it's just like MTG where people care way too much about what top __ played just so they know what the ~metagame~ is. I've seen people who cared about that for x-wing too but I wouldn't know since I don't really follow x-wing online.

e: oh woops i thought it was the destiny thread

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: Someone got really butthurt that Aaron doesn't post lists from the Stele Open. It was specifically Destiny, but you can look at list juggler online and X-wing is also absent. There's a huge rant and it's ongoing on fb right now but the relevant bit is below:

I guess it's just like MTG where people care way too much about what top __ played just so they know what the ~metagame~ is. I've seen people who cared about that for x-wing too but I wouldn't know since I don't really follow x-wing online.

I will never understand CCG's. Played magic when it first came out back in the day and the community that comes out of CCG's is usually pretty drat toxic. Also releasing 700+ cards a year is just nuts when it's random what you will get. Glad I gave up after a 6 months.

Do wish I would have held onto the cards though. People pay stupid prices for them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

TheCenturion posted:

I kinda want to try something like this:
Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)
Autothrusters (2)

Autothrusters (2)

Autothrusters (2)

Autothrusters (2)

Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

hellloooooooooo

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Well I was out playing x-wing with friends tonight so no TTS, but just about any other night I'm down. Just post here or PM me or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Sir this is a McDonalds drive thru

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I really like seeing lists posted online, but thinking of it as something that is owed to the community is just ridiculously entitled.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

People are not owed lists but not posting them as some sort of tribal meta protection is silly too

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

alg posted:

People are not owed lists but not posting them as some sort of tribal meta protection is silly too

At least with X-Wing they have the have to do it look at the streams from that event.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I guess there is a tournament format where you design a ship, then copy paste it to 100 points while ignoring restrictions? The only thing banned is Ahsoka in a TIE with Captured TIE and bombs since it's impossible to beat.

My list building group had a lot of fun coming up with builds, it can get pretty bonkers.

HWK-290: · Dace Bonearm (23)
Expertise (4)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
· 4-LOM (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 33p. --

Four damage from the first ion every round.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
4x Jess Pava, straight up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

It's less this and more that Aaron probably doesn't want to go through and write up all the lists. Like I said, x-wing didn't have the lists written down either. The philosophy was always that if people wanted to write down their lists on juggler, they are free to do so. Aaron has never published lists for his Stele open event. This isn't some dumb meta protection like the stunt Derek pulled before worlds last year (codenames for lists, etc).

I'm sure that he'll want to write something up soon because of how many jimmies were rustled.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 13, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So I guess there is a tournament format where you design a ship, then copy paste it to 100 points while ignoring restrictions? The only thing banned is Ahsoka in a TIE with Captured TIE and bombs since it's impossible to beat.

My list building group had a lot of fun coming up with builds, it can get pretty bonkers.

HWK-290: · Dace Bonearm (23)
Expertise (4)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
· 4-LOM (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 33p. --

Four damage from the first ion every round.

3x Fenn Rau with Mindlink Title, Autothrusters.

2x PTL Assaj with Latts and stuff.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

4 Biggs Darklighters. :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

IronSaber posted:

4 Biggs Darklighters. :v:

"So I have to shoot at... Biggs? And that's it?"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
"Imagine four Biggs on the edge of a cliff..."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They call him Chewy five-aces. Never lost a game of sabacc...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We just had a spam tournament. Crack/MkII Howlrunner went undefeated.
3xJess Pava with R2D2 did well too.

Also, Sabine crew was banned so you couldn't get 3 bonus damage off every bomb :v:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I really like seeing lists posted online, but thinking of it as something that is owed to the community is just ridiculously entitled.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alg posted:

Yep. This wouldn't be an issue if it was a community that didn't already have a reputation for doing that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Covenant is posting the top cut anyway so a significant portion of the high-level lists will be shown.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

What's the point of the M3-A Interceptor? It seems like they are weaker than the Z-95, and yet they cost more to field.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

What's the point of the M3-A Interceptor? It seems like they are weaker than the Z-95, and yet they cost more to field.

So when you win you can say SYCK BURN YO

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

IronSaber posted:

Right now, they are pretty much just the cheapest way to get a Cannon on the board, and as soon as the C-ROC comes out they will be the cheapest way to get Mindlink on the board.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

loving Heavy Syck swarm all with Heavy Laser Cannons almost made me casually fly the table end over end one time...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

loving Heavy Syck swarm all with Heavy Laser Cannons almost made me casually fly the table end over end one time...

Yeah, they're like smaller, worser Brobots but there's 3 of them!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, they're like smaller, worser Brobots but there's 3 of them!

What, like this?

Tansarii Point Veteran (17)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Engine Upgrade (4)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Engine Upgrade (4)

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Takes these puppies to the vet, 'case they are SYCK!

Cartel Spacer (14)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Cartel Spacer (14)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)

Cartel Spacer (14)
Autoblaster (5)

Cartel Spacer (14)
Ion Cannon (3)

Cartel Spacer (14)
Tractor Beam (1)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh god, how would you keep track of which one has which cannon?!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Serissu + 3 TPVs with Mindlink and Manglers is a gnarly list on the joust, because 3 of them have got focus/target lock on the first pass.

Then they cant k-turn, which limits their next moves.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Four PS5 sycks with autoblaster and fearlessness is hilarious. Just FYI.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't want to buy two more fangs and scyks :(

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

IronSaber posted:

Threw this on the Squad Builder:

Tomax Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
Homing Missiles (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Seems OK for a TIE Swarm, though if it were me, I'd sacrifice one of the Black Squadron TIES to beef up your remaining ships, like adding the "Wampa" pilot.

Took the list to my 2nd tourney. Very friendly crowd. Restrictions were on original trilogy ships only, no Palp and TLT.

First game vs Han and Jake. My opponent had won one of the European nationals before and it definitely showed. Flew rings around my ships and barely gave me any chances to shoot back. He (obviously) won in the end but it took us down to 1 minute left on the clock to kill my last TIE. Total amount of damage done: 1 shield on Han.

Second game vs Han and Ten Numb.He gambled on a joust and lost the B-wing. Unfortunately I was pretty savaged after that encounter. Knocked Han into hull but didn't manage to get 50% before I was massacred.

Final game vs Han and Wes Janson. Managed to finally get my maneuver mojo together and made Tomax work. Shot up Wes on the approach, then he managed to run Han onto a rock and got shot to pieces. Would probably have killed him if we played to time but the place was closing so Han was left on 2 hull.

Having played about 10 games now it's definitely loads of fun. Definitely need a lot more practice and playing TIE swarms in a tourney is quite draining.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm imagining this feels less "swarm" and more "dogpile"

• Locked thread