Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It may also be possibly the worst encounter for introducing the berserk mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

it woukdnt be a yoko taro game unless something punched you in the balls

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't die to hegel, but the weird hitbox of the giant balls was inconvenient. Also I couldn't really tell what was going on when some of them seemed to turn invulnerable. I had to hunt down the last one.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Antti posted:

It may also be possibly the worst encounter for introducing the berserk mechanic.

I did not even remember who Hegel was until this conversation and didn't even know about this mechanic until I just looked up Hegel on youtube.

The bomb pod special attack trivializes so many of these fights.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Papercut posted:

I did not even remember who Hegel was until this conversation and didn't even know about this mechanic until I just looked up Hegel on youtube.

The bomb pod special attack trivializes so many of these fights.

Triple-pod wave is also ridiculous. Is there an area with a bunch of assholes in? Use wave. All of them take tons of damage.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So when I recover a body I get some experience and items like luck+1, ranged attack up, etc but none of it appears in my inventory. What gives?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They are temporary buffs, not actual chips.

Aka worth less than the 5 button presses it takes to pick them up.

Maybe not if you're playing on super hard, I don't know.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress Hegel.

There's a bunch of things in the game that are far from perfect but none of them really distract from the experience for me but Hegel is the only thing for me which is just legit bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

They are temporary buffs, not actual chips.

Aka worth less than the 5 button presses it takes to pick them up.

Maybe not if you're playing on super hard, I don't know.

This isnt really true when it starts giving you good level buffs. And the fact it heals you up is good too

I don't use em cos they're a bit of a crutch and I am masochistic in my gameplay of this

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nearing the end of my playthrough (just hunting down upgrade materials by this point), considering doing a hard mode run. Is it worth it or nah?

I ignored the original Nier's hard mode since all it did was making everything take forever to kill without actually making anything harder to kill, which turned the game into a slog. Is Automata's hard mode more worthwhile?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's exactly the opposite, I'm pretty sure it just makes you take big damage from everything.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Nearing the end of my playthrough (just hunting down upgrade materials by this point), considering doing a hard mode run. Is it worth it or nah?

I ignored the original Nier's hard mode since all it did was making everything take forever to kill without actually making anything harder to kill, which turned the game into a slog. Is Automata's hard mode more worthwhile?

I found it fun, though things hit like a loving truck.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I'm guessing there's no fix for nVidia white screens yet?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Antti posted:

Thematically this is why it owns.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This isnt really true when it starts giving you good level buffs. And the fact it heals you up is good too

I don't use em cos they're a bit of a crutch and I am masochistic in my gameplay of this

I can heal faster by hitting an enemy than the process of selecting a corpse, hitting pray and continue, waiting for the animation, the game unfreezing for a second, and then refreezing to tell me what I picked up, and then dismissing that popup. It's the most awkeard thing in the entire game and probably my number 1 gameplay complaint.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I must be missing something. What is everyone's problem with Hegel?

I only died to the thing once, because I did what the game said and pressed the button that turned me into a sitting duck. I just... shot it a bunch? And then slashed it a bunch until it died?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

End of playthrough A? Then yeah turn it to hard if you want any sort of challenge in your subsequent playthroughs (the game is still really easy on Hard but at least occasionally presents a little challenge). I don't think it's worth replaying endings A-E just to play on Hard, unless you really want to play again.

Fedule posted:

I only died to the thing once, because I did what the game said and pressed the button that turned me into a sitting duck. I just... shot it a bunch? And then slashed it a bunch until it died?

Same.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Fedule posted:

The problem is that you just constantly get hit by lasers going through dunes/ off screen

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm guessing there's no fix for nVidia white screens yet?

No, there's some problems with rx480 too. PS4 is cool though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fedule posted:

I didn't die either--you're pretty much a pile of recovery items wearing an android's skin at that point. The reason I consider it a poor boss fight is that I had no bloody clue what was going on most of the time because of all the crap on the screen. Once I realized the spheres could all fire through each other simultaneously I just said 'gently caress it' and hacked away until it died while chugging recoveries.

I don't mind the fact that it's a terrible idea to use Berserker mode there. That part's just funny.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I never died to Hegel, he's just such a mess of information and attacks from multiple directions, all going off at once, clipping through the environment and his individual segments. Even if you think he's an easy boss, he's in no way a good or defensible one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I never died to Hegel, he's just such a mess of information and attacks from multiple directions, all going off at once, clipping through the environment and his individual segments. Even if you think he's an easy boss, he's in no way a good or defensible one.

It's a metaphor for reading Hegel, bravo Yoko Taro bravo

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Well just got Ending E and in the process finished getting platinum.

Saved it for the last thing I did and chose to delete my saves... and then immediately restored them from backup because I was spoiled on this ahead of time and so prepared for it. Now I'm ready for the dlc when/if it ever hits.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Need help with Emil's Memories

I've got the mask and head from robbing his place, but I didn't complete the boss fight due to me being hideously underpowered. Now I finished Route C and need to restart the quest I guess. I still have the mask and head, but which chapter should I jump to for restarting the quest? I'm having trouble getting to where I can start the quest over. He says I should visit his house, but the lunar tear flowers are nowhere to be found. Help?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RanKizama posted:

Need help with Emil's Memories

I've got the mask and head from robbing his place, but I didn't complete the boss fight due to me being hideously underpowered. Now I finished Route C and need to restart the quest I guess. I still have the mask and head, but which chapter should I jump to for restarting the quest? I'm having trouble getting to where I can start the quest over. He says I should visit his house, but the lunar tear flowers are nowhere to be found. Help?

Any time after the forest kingdom and before the missile quest. Just talk to Emil once and then head for the commercial center.

Beating Emil has nothing to do with Emil's Memories though

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Tarezax posted:

Any time after the forest kingdom and before the missile quest. Just talk to Emil once and then head for the commercial center.

Beating Emil has nothing to do with Emil's Memories though

Well it's indirectly a prerequisite since winning the fight gives you a weapon

Edit: oh wrong quest, yeah, just talk to him and follow the dots

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/rofltrain/status/852064363049398272

I want those.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

Thematically this is why it owns.

Yeah. I actually like Hegel quite a bit, because it marks the point in the story where A2's return to humanity begins. She thinks the best way to deal with Hegel is to go berserk and be a one-woman army, losing herself in battle. The optimal strategy, however, is to chip away with the Pod while Hegel is flying, and then spend most of your time running around and evading. It's a boss that requires teamwork to beat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Route C spoilers: Hegel bothered me less than that flying pile of debris you fight in route A before Eve (maybe there's a strategy for that thing, idk). Hegel was at least pretty visually outstanding and like nothing I'd ever seen, even if the mechanics of the fight weren't very good.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

No Wave posted:

Route C spoilers: Hegel bothered me less than that flying pile of debris you fight in route A before Eve (maybe there's a strategy for that thing, idk). Hegel was at least pretty visually outstanding and like nothing I'd ever seen, even if the mechanics of the fight weren't very good.

When I fought the debris monster on Route B I managed to cause it to drop its core over the nearby chasm, killing it instantly

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
From Dark Id's LP thread:

sniper4625 posted:

I'm not sure if you're referring to your partners pod, but if there's a way to have two or three pods active at once I'm all ears.

You may want to try holding down the pod program button instead of just tapping it, you may be surprised.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I was wondering why I found the music in Pascal's village so familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ODgYi4ff6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdXTqxTWxcM

I forgot where I read it but I remember seeing Yoko Taro say that he has a good enough relationship with Okabe that he likes to point him toward music and say "make a track like this one." Between that and Drakengard 3's character designs lifting from Madoka wholesale I really wouldn't be surprised lol.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eopia posted:

chose to delete my saves... and then immediately restored them

You disgust me.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I mean, inspirations come from everywhere and sometimes certain mood pieces just sound similar because they're going for the same thing. Like how
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zmGjgn1Msk
always made me think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nluDfE7UPvY
if only because they're relatively slow piano pieces drenched in reverb and spheric pads.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dark Colossus' beginning always makes me think of Dies Irae. For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MQf-86ikvM I literally replace the lyrics for Dark Colossus with that when it comes up in my mind.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I can't bring myself to do what I presume is the last leg of route C after finishing A2 and Pascal's section.

This game is great :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

f#a# posted:

I can't bring myself to do what I presume is the last leg of route C after finishing A2 and Pascal's section.

This game is great :smith:

Just remember, no matter what the hardships are, we've all gone through the same thing.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

U-DO Burger posted:

You disgust me.

If there's one thing the game should've taught everyone it's the importance of backing up your data.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

I was wondering why I found the music in Pascal's village so familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ODgYi4ff6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdXTqxTWxcM

I forgot where I read it but I remember seeing Yoko Taro say that he has a good enough relationship with Okabe that he likes to point him toward music and say "make a track like this one." Between that and Drakengard 3's character designs lifting from Madoka wholesale I really wouldn't be surprised lol.

I was about to say that they really sound nothing a like, but then i noticed what you mean. They both have gibberish lyrics.

Eopia posted:

If there's one thing the game should've taught everyone it's the importance of backing up your data.

Man, you really missed the point, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

From Dark Id's LP thread:

You may want to try holding down the pod program button instead of just tapping it, you may be surprised.

I'm familiar with the powered-up version of programs, though the only one I really used it with was Slow, so maybe that's why I missed it. Always something new to learn.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 13, 2017