Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

smackfu posted:

Is there a way to diagnose? It is failing right after it shows the Apple logo.

Start your Mini up in single user/verbose mode and see what error it provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So I'm looking to replace the PSU in my 2009 Mac Pro. (flashed to a 5.1, though it shouldn't matter for this I would assume since it sounds like I can just do a SMC reset to re-set the fan profiles?)

I'm looking at DV Warehouse that appears to have new PSUs in stock (I've heard they're trustworthy, so I'm assuming when they say it's new, it actually is). They show two models though for the Early 2009 Mac Pros: a model 661-5011, and a model 661-5449. Does anyone know the difference/which one would probably be correct, or if either could work? They're the same price so I just want to make sure I get the right one.

I'm hoping that whenever Apple provides a revised new Mac Pro, I might pick that up, but since I'm assuming that's probably realistically a few years out, I'd like to get a bit more life out of my current one.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 8, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know how you haven’t already replaced the fans multiple times.

Speaking of fans, what's the average RPM for a mid-2009 15 inch MBP fan to be at? Mine is always stable at around 2000 RPM, is that normal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Busy Bee posted:

Speaking of fans, what's the average RPM for a mid-2009 15 inch MBP fan to be at? Mine is always stable at around 2000 RPM, is that normal?

Two thousand RPM is the minimum on many models.

I don’t know about mid‐2009, specifically, but it’s probably normal.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

We can't be that much of an outlier or they wouldn't have done that unprecedented "state of the Mac Pro" thing.

Remember that Schiller (or was it Federiche) said the Macintosh part of Apple earns enough to be a Fortune 100 business all by itself.

Of course I'm also old enough to remember Apple telling //gs customers how important the Apple II market was to them with the Apple II Forever theme playing in the background, but I feel it's different this time. :classiclol:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah but when did he say that? Lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah but when did he say that? Lol

IF you're referring to the Fortune 100 thing, Phil said it almost right off the bat.

(emphasis mine..)

Leapin' Phil Schiller posted:

Phil Schiller: We’re here to talk about the Mac. The Mac is doing really well. We’re really proud of how things are going. We’ve been, in general over the last decade, growing faster than the PC industry. Last year we had a little bit of a setback, and then this year, back to growth again, [and] growing faster than the industry. It’s something we plan to keep on doing for a very long time.

Some numbers that are pretty powerful — or meaningful to us, anyway: the Mac user base is approaching 100 million users. A lot of customers! It’s nearing a $25 billion of annual run rate. And based on that, it is close to being a Fortune 100 company all by itself. As a business, the number of users is super important to us. It always has been, always will be.

As for the Apple II, it wasn't him but some other Apple bigwig at the time whose name escapes me

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

After having my new MacBook Pro for a week (15" Retina w/o USB-C), I'm beyond impressed. Haven't even used my Windows PC since last Sunday when I was moving the last of my files to my external drive.

I wasn't expecting to adjust this quickly after having not touched a Mac in nearly 10 years. The gestures were easy to remember and I'm not trying to do Windows stuff on here out of habit. Performance is incredible. Between the 16 GB of RAM and SSD drive, stuff that took forever to load or was always slow before is now instant or near-instant. It's nice to use Premiere and Photoshop without constantly needing time to catch up. Power is also surprising. I'm at 20% and the last time I charged was Thursday. I've never used a laptop that didn't need to constantly be near power. It also powers faster than I've ever seen on a laptop.

I'm also really pleased with the comfort. Both on a desk or on the lap. I was worried 15" would be too big, but it's actually a little smaller than my old Vaio. I did end up getting a Magic Mouse, mainly to make Adobe stuff easier to use, even though this is the best trackpad I've ever used. I probably won't use the mouse outside Adobe. Some of the bells and whistles are cool like my Apple Watch unlocking it and all the stuff it does automatically. I hooked up my PC monitor to test second screen via HDMI and it popped up immediately without me having to set it up first.

Just wish I hadn't waited this long since I could have done a lot more when I had some video editing projects the year before last.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

IF you're referring to the Fortune 100 thing, Phil said it almost right off the bat.
Haha, right. I read the thing when they posted it and completely glossed over that part.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SourKraut posted:

So I'm looking to replace the PSU in my 2009 Mac Pro. (flashed to a 5.1, though it shouldn't matter for this I would assume since it sounds like I can just do a SMC reset to re-set the fan profiles?)

I'm looking at DV Warehouse that appears to have new PSUs in stock (I've heard they're trustworthy, so I'm assuming when they say it's new, it actually is). They show two models though for the Early 2009 Mac Pros: a model 661-5011, and a model 661-5449. Does anyone know the difference/which one would probably be correct, or if either could work? They're the same price so I just want to make sure I get the right one.

I'm hoping that whenever Apple provides a revised new Mac Pro, I might pick that up, but since I'm assuming that's probably realistically a few years out, I'd like to get a bit more life out of my current one.

So there isn't a whole lot of info out there, but it sounds like they're probably the same part... Can I walk into an Apple Store and ask them if I can buy a PSU for a 2010-2012 Mac Pro? Or is going through an online site probably my best bet?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SourKraut posted:

So there isn't a whole lot of info out there, but it sounds like they're probably the same part... Can I walk into an Apple Store and ask them if I can buy a PSU for a 2010-2012 Mac Pro? Or is going through an online site probably my best bet?

Apple won't sell you parts, and your machine is now Vintage, so yeah- online 3rd party.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

Don't want to buy a gaming laptop but I probably don't have a choice
ASUS ROG STRIX ~$1600 amazing performance VR ready w/ 10XX GTX Nvidia chips, we use this to demo stuff at clients' joints with headsets. It's perfect for gaming.
I use that in tandem with a Mac Pro where I make all the assets & combine with Unity.
But like also- people have had success with the Thunderbolt 2 PCIe solutions & bootcamp. Pick your poison?

eames
May 9, 2009

source: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

The reddit comments of owners with new 15" machines make me want to buy another old model 15" rMBP and save it in a closet until mine dies.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I though it would only have taken one year for consumers to forget super fish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do those rankings even mean

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Hypothetical markets for Mac Pro:

• Professors with fat budgets
  • Computer labs at educational facilities
  • People who edit a lot of video
  • Music producers
  • 3D artists at game companies or special effects/movie places (I assume they are all using Windows or Linux)
  • Mac software developers who somehow can't get buy with a MBP 15"
  • IMGIX

Am I missing anyone?
Possibly the most important groups:
- People who write all those extremely well-selling iPhone apps and want them to compile fast
- Engineers at Apple

Completely unrelated question: who the hell would want a Xeon iMac?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cingulate posted:

Possibly the most important groups:
- People who write all those extremely well-selling iPhone apps and want them to compile fast
- Engineers at Apple

Completely unrelated question: who the hell would want a Xeon iMac?

What's becoming abundantly clear is that the user base for proper 'pro' Macs is so small and fragmented that none of them can agree on what the new Mac Pro should be. There will be people for whom a Xeon iMac fits the bill. We're talking fractions of fractions of Mac users at this point because the overwhelming majority of Mac users are notebook users who probably don't care what the hardware is.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Laptopmag is pretty respected and if you just click the link and scroll down it explains their reasoning for each. Think of it as a review, but of the market.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bob Morales posted:

That chart is lovely, but the blue dots represent Lenovo's standings that year. The colors of the shapes correspond to the poo poo-rear end legend on the right, the shapes are irrelevant. Whoever made the chart needs to crawl back into the middle management hellhole they came out of. Note, these rankings are based on Laptop mag's reviews--not popularity or sales.
The metrics laptop mag uses to decide these rankings:
Reviews 35% (only considers laptop mag review)
Design 15% (you'd think laptop mag would consider this in their review but here we are in idiot chart land)
Tech Support 20%
Innovation 10% (this entire thing is such idiotic bullshit)
Value and selection 15% (price and # of SKUs)
Warranty 5% (doesn't this fall under support?)

Worthless chart.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I remember when PC Magazine used to review like 50 desktop PC's at once and they'd time how long it took to get support when you called the company's 800 number

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

source: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

The reddit comments of owners with new 15" machines make me want to buy another old model 15" rMBP and save it in a closet until mine dies.

I just see a lot of complaining about the price there. I'm very happy with my laptop that cost almost as much as my car is worth and I'd recommend it. :shobon:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress that new keyboard right in the rear end.

The new ones feel even more solid and are much slimmer than the Retinas.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress that new keyboard right in the rear end.

The new ones feel even more solid and are much slimmer than the Retinas.

You don't like the new keyboard?

Give it a day or so. I hate going back to my 2012 MBP keyboard. My only complaint is it's very loud.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Krispy Kareem posted:

Give it a day or so. I hate going back to my 2012 MBP keyboard. My only complaint is it's very loud.

no glowy apple logo means people have to know it's a mac somehow!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
The new keyboard is amazing but it's hard going between different typical pc keyboards all day then working on the Mac in the evening. I have no choice but to use other machines during the day most days. When I go back to the Mac I end up not consistently actuating some keys sometimes until I readjust. Is there a desktop keyboard with similar switches or feel?

rally fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've had it for almost a year. Not even travel and you can't feel the key shapes (like the arrows). My 2023 feels a little mushy now but at least I know what keys I'm hitting and that they are registering as keypresses

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I dunno. The two days I had my 2016 I thought the keyboard was fine. Then again I use a Microsoft membrane keyboard for my desktop that is already mush. I really like my Logitech K811 keyboard that I think is based off the 2010-2015 MacBook Pro keyboards.

I highly recommend the K811 for people looking for a nice Bluetooth that can hot swap between 3 systems.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Housh posted:

I dunno. The two days I had my 2016 I thought the keyboard was fine. Then again I use a Microsoft membrane keyboard for my desktop that is already mush. I really like my Logitech K811 keyboard that I think is based off the 2010-2015 MacBook Pro keyboards.

I highly recommend the K811 for people looking for a nice Bluetooth that can hot swap between 3 systems.

I thought I hated the new Keyboard for ages, then I used my old 2015 13" - and somehow those felt too weird.

That being said, the Magic Keyboard 2 that I use on my desktop all day is still, in my mind the great compromise between the two. It feels lovely to type on all day.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

A little while ago I posted about the SSD dying in my Late 2014 MBP. I decided to go the M.2 + Adapter route with an open box SM951 from Microcenter for dirt cheap and the Sintech adapter. Replaced it today and it worked perfectly, way easier to replace than I was picturing it, and it booted up with Internet Recovery no problem, formatted and installed Mavericks and everything is working well and I think it is faster than the original SSD.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

rally posted:

The new keyboard is amazing but it's hard going between different typical pc keyboards all day then working on the Mac in the evening. I have no choice but to use other machines during the day most days. When I go back to the Mac I end up not consistently actuating some keys sometimes until I readjust. Is there a desktop keyboard with similar switches or feel?

Microsoft's slim desktop keyboards are pretty close.

Hopefully will update their devices, the current keyboard is just too plasticity and squishy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

A little while ago I posted about the SSD dying in my Late 2014 MBP. I decided to go the M.2 + Adapter route with an open box SM951 from Microcenter for dirt cheap and the Sintech adapter. Replaced it today and it worked perfectly, way easier to replace than I was picturing it, and it booted up with Internet Recovery no problem, formatted and installed Mavericks and everything is working well and I think it is faster than the original SSD.

Good on you, Slamsung 951s are harder to find these days as they're AHCI, the industry pretty much switched gears over to NVMe and 951s are no longer produced.

They're only one of three models of SSDs supported by the 2013-2015 rMBP other than Apple OEM, one being the previous gen Samstung X941 and Kingston GyperPerdatorX.

I think some of the non-Samsung Apple OEMs (Sandisk if I'm not mistaken) could only get up to 768K/sec, the 951 will definitely get around 1200-1400K/sec for reads. It should also last longer depending on if you got the 256 or 512GB model, pity they never made a 1 TB model.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Despite UPS' best efforts*, I finally got the new MBP. I absolutely love it! Th only thing is that the trackpad is only slightly smaller than my whole house, so I keep making things happen randomly with the sides of my hands. Is there some way to crank down the sensitivity or am I just going to have to get used to it? I just accidentally sent a partial email because of it.

E: Actually I just realized I accidentally hit the SEND button on the new touch bar. Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to be careful with the way I hover my fingers over it.

*My wife was waiting for the driver and heard something at the door. When she looked, he had left a SORRY WE MISSED YOU sticker without ringing, knocking, or barely making a peep. :argh:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 12, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Despite UPS' best efforts*, I finally got the new MBP. I absolutely love it! Th only thing is that the trackpad is only slightly smaller than my whole house, so I keep making things happen randomly with the sides of my hands. Is there some way to crank down the sensitivity or am I just going to have to get used to it? I just accidentally sent a partial email because of it.

E: Actually I just realized I accidentally hit the SEND button on the new touch bar. Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to be careful with the way I hover my fingers over it.

*My wife was waiting for the driver and heard something at the door. When she looked, he had left a SORRY WE MISSED YOU sticker without ringing, knocking, or barely making a peep. :argh:

I don't think I've ever had an erroneous touch on my MBP, but I have accidentally hit the touchbar a few times, which sucks. It's better now that I got rid of the dumb Siri button in the top right and turned it into mute, because muting isn't a big deal.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I pick up my mbp Friday. Wooo!! Hope it's not defective this time.

Edit: oh poo poo got it one day early!!!

Housh fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 13, 2017

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Can a fresh reinstall of OS X fix a Mac that's been running like a dog for some time now? Or is that just something people do with Windows machines?

My Macbook (model 7.1, late 2009 I think) is running Snow Leopard. I've not installed a newer version because I'm still running Office 2004 on here, which needs Rosetta.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I would recommend swapping out the hard drive with a SSD if you can. It did wonders to my 2006 MacBook running Snow Leopard which I would use for Office 2004 and Firefox.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
In a move of desperation in the interest of remaining barely relevant I got a pretty good deal on a GTX 980 Ti for my cheese grater Mac Pro. Will be interesting to see the performance increase from a GTX 680.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Theophany posted:

In a move of desperation in the interest of remaining barely relevant I got a pretty good deal on a GTX 980 Ti for my cheese grater Mac Pro. Will be interesting to see the performance increase from a GTX 680.

Was it a good amount cheaper than a 1070? The mac drivers for pascal are in beta currently but should be final soon.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jet_dee posted:

Can a fresh reinstall of OS X fix a Mac that's been running like a dog for some time now? Or is that just something people do with Windows machines?

My Macbook (model 7.1, late 2009 I think) is running Snow Leopard. I've not installed a newer version because I'm still running Office 2004 on here, which needs Rosetta.
It can if there's extra crap installed that's running that you forgot about, or assuming a platter drive a wiped drive will be quicker just cause less files spread around and fragmented. I think you can reinstall without wiping but I forget when that started being a thing.

Otherwise yeah, just get a SSD for a nice speed boost. And RAM upgrade if you're running less than 8GB, although a SSD goes a long way in making slowdowns from swapping less noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

buffbus posted:

Was it a good amount cheaper than a 1070? The mac drivers for pascal are in beta currently but should be final soon.

Yeah, ended up costing me £120 all in, which is a pretty irresistible price.