Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bro

It's Iudex, pronounced "Joo-decks"

It's latin for Judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It makes your weapon look extremely cool so yes.

They meant the infusion, not the miracle. It got buffed in the recent patch.

Seems like it's okay now. Only hard numbers I've found on reddit are Longsword going from ~300 to ~350 AR with 40 faith. Not amazing, but definitely better.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If you're ever an invader or something that has a view perpendicular to an Alonne Knight, you'll see how ridiculous their run animation is. It's absurd.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

KingSlime posted:

Good point. Plus Myazaki said that DS1 was about killing a god. DS3 was about killing multiple gods (or something to that effect).

Maybe he meant that we were mopping up the rest of Gwyn's shitfuck family. Either way, I think the conflict between dark and fire was a bit of a red herring all along as they seem to be much cozier with each other/dependant on each other than previously thought and that's pretty neat. It's the "twist" I was craving (cuz you know every from soft game has to have one or more mindbending twists and so far DS3 was "meh" in that regard).

There's also the subtle hints that Lorthic is threatening both the light and the dark. Aldrich has visions of an age of deep waters. Where the first flame dies and the dark soul is wrung out of humanity.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah seeing the whole game with this new lens in mind, jesus the hints are loving everywhere. Lothric's speech before the fight tells you outright lol, and in a slightly less mysterious and convoluted fashion than you'd think

It's pretty awesome and makes me want to do yet another god drat replay

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Node posted:

If you're ever an invader or something that has a view perpendicular to an Alonne Knight, you'll see how ridiculous their run animation is. It's absurd.

How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5 Falconers

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

I don't remember those

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

skasion posted:

Its probably worse but not as bad looking from head on

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah seeing the whole game with this new lens in mind, jesus the hints are loving everywhere. Lothric's speech before the fight tells you outright lol, and in a slightly less mysterious and convoluted fashion than you'd think

It's pretty awesome and makes me want to do yet another god drat replay

It's so easy to gloss over the detail because there's so much of it. It took me days to consider that Gael has been fighting and collecting souls for years and is basically a soul level 999 ds2 character

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Technically, one could do virtually everything Gael does were they in DS2, so that checks out.

Can't in DS3, but, details.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 12, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also it took until this morning to realize drang weapons are a reference to dumb powerstance combos

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

skasion posted:

That's the best animation From has ever made.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxyclean posted:

Don't know if the winged spear had anything wide, and it sucked rear end at staggering. My fault for not mixing it up though. Was still in the mentality of "this is my weapon and I've dumped a ton of upgrades into."

DS2 really encouraged the use of multiple weapons. It showered upgrade materials on you, and each weapon took less effort to upgrade than any other game in the series.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

DS2 really encouraged the use of multiple weapons. It showered upgrade materials on you, and each weapon took less effort to upgrade than any other game in the series.

But soul memory!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

But soul memory!

just make a trash character and have him make all the the weapons! then transfer them to your real character.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Also it took until this morning to realize drang weapons are a reference to dumb powerstance combos

wheres my double rapiers from software?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The crow one is the paired rapier

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm not sure how thematically tied together your guys' Midir fights were but I beat him on the bridge with a final visceral attack. Then, after dozens of tries getting his patterns down, I beat him with another visceral . I don't even know what to do with myself. (other than go after GAEL :getin:) That was a theatrical as gently caress ending to a battle.

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 13, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

FROM is extremely self aware and it's one of my favorite things about the studio. The Ringed Knight Greatswords use the exact same (loving stupid from any logical point of view) grip as powerstanced weapons in DS2 and it is 100% intentional.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Ten more dregs before I never have do deal with ganksquads agai-

I still have Watchdogs, Moundmakers and Spear of the Church to grind out. :negative:

e; The wall door is horseshit.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 13, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Augus posted:

Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins Mk 2 is a pallet swap of the Chalice Dungeons mixed with Lost Izalith
however, unlike demon ruins/lost izalith, it is purely optional and has a fun boss fight

also the giant ballista is dope and I don't turn it off because it's fun to dodge

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I always call em dang weapons

dang twinspears
dang hammers
dang armor
dang shoes :mad:

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm not sure how thematically tied together your guys' Midir fights were but I beat him on the bridge with a final visceral attack. Then, after dozens of tries getting his patterns down, I beat him with another visceral . I don't even know what to do with myself. (other than go after GAEL :getin:) That was a theatrical as gently caress ending to a battle.
I beat him by hitting him in the ankle while he was shooting lasers in the complete opposite direction of me

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

And earthen peak is there so they can justify putting the fan favorite stupid tube top back in. And or because no one liked that place and the dreg heap is the place for unwanted things.
Also "you thought those angels were hard? Now do it in a swamp rear end in a top hat!"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They joke about the paired weapons but then they're really awesome so it's tongue firmly in cheek. Yeah powerstancing UGS was kind of stupid (and nearly impossible to do in DS2), but by God there are some cool loving animations you can do with two weapons and it'd be a shame not to have them. Hence the Sellsword Twinblades, Gotthard's, and Drang weapons.

Genocyber posted:

They meant the infusion, not the miracle. It got buffed in the recent patch.

Seems like it's okay now. Only hard numbers I've found on reddit are Longsword going from ~300 to ~350 AR with 40 faith. Not amazing, but definitely better.
The main problem with Blessed, bad AR aside, was that it just didn't really restore enough health to be worth bothering. Either the regen effect would need to be a lot better or the AR would need to be less worthless relative to a regular weapon. But if it's at least decent now it gives Faith access to scaling customizable physical and magical damage so I guess it has that.

Actually how are the elemental infusions now? Particularly Fire and Dark.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

however, unlike demon ruins/lost izalith, it is purely optional and has a fun boss fight

also the giant ballista is dope and I don't turn it off because it's fun to dodge
I always call em dang weapons

dang twinspears
dang hammers
dang armor
dang shoes :mad:
I beat him by hitting him in the ankle while he was shooting lasers in the complete opposite direction of me

How do people have trouble with the worm? Dodge into the crater and let the ballista do all the work.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

But soul memory!

I really, really hate to defend soul memory but the thing about it is that it seems like it was designed with the idea that people would kind of die a bunch? So once you got people trying to metagame and set up hard core PVP dueltown levels it just didn't work out so well because that meant someone who was struggling through the black gulch might have the same, or higher, soul memory of a better skilled player who was in drangleic castle.

Nakar posted:

They joke about the paired weapons but then they're really awesome so it's tongue firmly in cheek. Yeah powerstancing UGS was kind of stupid (and nearly impossible to do in DS2), but by God there are some cool loving animations you can do with two weapons and it'd be a shame not to have them. Hence the Sellsword Twinblades, Gotthard's, and Drang weapons.

It was only nearly impossible if you wanted to powerstance those big heavy shits you got from vendrick's soul and a few others. It wasn't too hard to power stance most other UGS really. It was really fun to do. Now, if you want insanity try power stancing great hammers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fire is bad because it doesn't scale, it's a flat infusion. Chaos and dark both scale with faith+int and can be quite good on builds using those.

On the note of the twin greatswords, they're really popular right now and a great counter to them is using a greatsword that has a stomp weapon art+uppercut followup with r1. Executioner's greatsword is one of these, and I'm rocking a +10 one on a 40/40 str/dex character doing mad damage-and also having just enough faith+attunement to cast Tears of Denial and be a total rear end in a top hat as a spear of the church

I think it's honestly much easier to do that fight solo because the spear of the church gets extra defenses based on how many summons they have, and from what I can tell you actually have poise as part of that. Also unbreakable patches is useless

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I really, really hate to defend soul memory but the thing about it is that it seems like it was designed with the idea that people would kind of die a bunch? So once you got people trying to metagame and set up hard core PVP dueltown levels it just didn't work out so well because that meant someone who was struggling through the black gulch might have the same, or higher, soul memory of a better skilled player who was in drangleic castle.

It was only nearly impossible if you wanted to powerstance those big heavy shits you got from vendrick's soul and a few others. It wasn't too hard to power stance most other UGS really. It was really fun to do. Now, if you want insanity try power stancing great hammers.

You could even powerstance chicken legs with 99 str and the str ring equipped. It was crazy fun.

Powerstancing was awesome and I miss it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the bleed build up on the regular version of gnaw at all useful in PvP or is it not even worth using?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

AttackBacon posted:

FROM is extremely self aware and it's one of my favorite things about the studio. The Ringed Knight Greatswords use the exact same (loving stupid from any logical point of view) grip as powerstanced weapons in DS2 and it is 100% intentional.

I don't get the whole DS 2 is bad while DS 1 and 3 are better. From this thread it seems that DS 2 was made by a larger development team from Sony aka the :airquote: B team :airquote: while Miyazaki 'supervised' it. FromSoft being in the credits is probably just because Dark Souls is their IP, and nothing else. Is that more or less wrong?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I don't get the whole DS 2 is bad while DS 1 and 3 are better. From this thread it seems that DS 2 was made by a larger development team from Sony aka the :airquote: B team :airquote: while Miyazaki 'supervised' it. FromSoft being in the credits is probably just because Dark Souls is their IP, and nothing else. Is that more or less wrong?

More wrong. Sony worked on Bloodborne. DS2 had a different director, but they had dev issues and he was replaced halfway through the project. The "BTeam" thing is a joke, since the majority of the team worked on DS1 as well.

People were just salty they didn't get a clone/story continuation of DS1. A lot of people hated Soul Memory, even though it really only affected things like fight clubs and playing with IRL friends.

DS2 still had the best multiplayer. The only improvement they made in DS3 is the password system and associated level scaling so you can co-op with anyone. Everything else, invading and co-oping is worse.

I'd also make the argument that DS2 was the most fun as a game. Maybe the level design was not as good as one, and some things have been improved in 3, but I put more way more hours into it than 1 or 3 as well.

It also had the best NG+ out of any of the games.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Not sure about actual credits but doesn't feel like it to me. Overall DS2 still felt souls like (though i haven't played DS1 or DeS)

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

hanales posted:

More wrong. Sony worked on Bloodborne. DS2 had a different director, but they had dev issues and he was replaced halfway through the project. The "BTeam" thing is a joke, since the majority of the team worked on DS1 as well.

People were just salty they didn't get a clone/story continuation of DS1. A lot of people hated Soul Memory, even though it really only affected things like fight clubs and playing with IRL friends.

DS2 still had the best multiplayer. The only improvement they made in DS3 is the password system and associated level scaling so you can co-op with anyone. Everything else, invading and co-oping is worse.

I'd also make the argument that DS2 was the most fun as a game. Maybe the level design was not as good as one, and some things have been improved in 3, but I put more way more hours into it than 1 or 3 as well.

It also had the best NG+ out of any of the games.

Interesting.

I did like how DS 2 NG+ was more than just *slightly* tougher enemies, and actually changed boss fights by adding other monsters. Lost SInner comes to mind, but I don't think I got farther than that in my DS 2 NG+ run.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you not play bloodborne?

Uhm. Yeah I played through it 3 times and I'm not sure what you are referring to at all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the bleed build up on the regular version of gnaw at all useful in PvP or is it not even worth using?

It's not worth using. Both Gnaw and Dorhy's are so agonizingly slow to travel and have such bad tracking that anyone who isn't half asleep will dodge it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Interesting.

I did like how DS 2 NG+ was more than just *slightly* tougher enemies, and actually changed boss fights by adding other monsters. Lost SInner comes to mind, but I don't think I got farther than that in my DS 2 NG+ run.

Enemies were definitely tougher than average in DS2, but most of the bosses were just lazily designed. Royal Rat Authority and ganksquad.jpg stick out like sore thumbs. Only bosses that gave me any trouble at all were Fume Knight and Sinh. Never had the chance to fight Lud and Zallen, because gently caress that snowfield slog. Worse than Ringed City.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 13, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dreg heap is the single most unenjoyable part of any souls game. It's so thoroughly loving bad I almost just want to call it a day. It's not even the difficulty it just sucks. It's boring, ugly and annoying. Coming off playing AOA I can't believe this is supposed to be the "good" one.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
figuring out lud and zallen isnt really worth it unless you want the super cool sword from them. its basically a damage race or summoning a buddy to deal with them.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
How is Nier Automata?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Dreg heap is the single most unenjoyable part of any souls game. It's so thoroughly loving bad I almost just want to call it a day. It's not even the difficulty it just sucks. It's boring, ugly and annoying. Coming off playing AOA I can't believe this is supposed to be the "good" one.

They actually had to nerf the angels because you basically had to be Jesus Yamato to survive them out in the open. But they can be killed permanently, just find the summoners.

e; Also loving LOL did you even find Black Gulch? Blighttown and ds3 Anor londo condensed into a single medium sized room lol.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Uncle w Benefits posted:

How is Nier Automata?

NieR: Automata is one of the best games I have played in my entire life and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Interesting.

Lost Sinner, Flexile, and Freya are the only boss fights that change at all. The first two get adds they didn't have before, and Freya shows up before her normal arena so you can soften her up a little bit. The former isn't that good an idea, it's funny the first time but I'd be hard put to say that it's a big improvement. The latter could potentially be cool with other bosses but is probably more effort than they want to put in for a feature most players don't use. I'm ambivalent about most of the added black phantoms. They definitely change things up, but "more, stronger enemies" isn't terribly more compelling than just "the same stronger enemies" to me. It's nice that DS2 made an effort to make NG+ (and even NG++) stand out, but I almost feel like their time would have been better spent touching up the main game than thinking of new and exciting combinations of black phantoms to gangfuck the player with. If they really want to come up with a system to add to the longevity of these games, they should build on the procedural level generation systems of Bloodborne and develop a system with enough content to hold the player's interest, presented in a way that doesn't backload the actual fun parts until you've suffered through five identical samey labyrinths.