Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

don't call it a ban and don't call it a tax, especially while plastic bags are still ubiquitous. ffs, don't even call it a tax internally. incentivize reusable bags and plastic bag return and get people used to the alternative. Spend the thousands of dollars you would loving lobbying and give out reusable bags (a dime apiece in bulk) and/or have plastic bag return/recycling so the can collectors can take care of it. Do it like styrofoam where you clean up something already on the downswing or like bottle deposits (see how this isn't called a tax here?) and not like Bloomberg's soda ban/tax where the chuds get riled up about are plastic bag freedoms and NY1 brings on some elderly Asian couple who can't keep their buffet afloat without plastic bags and dog owners who won't have anywhere to put their poo poo. I swear to Christ if you use your whole budget to buy loving seven figure millennial marimba and sans serif text ad campaigns calling for a ban/tax in front of every YouTube video and the bill goes down in flames on the assembly floor instead of just leveraging systems for trash pickup/recycling or pushing for more easily recycled bag materials or just loving buying the bags yourself I will be loving pissed

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

MizPiz posted:

I'm currently working with Greenpeace on a campaign to get a plastic bag ban in New York City, and the wider state if possible. We're trying to figure out the best means to implement it (outright ban, a tax on it's use, etc.) and I'd love to get y'alls thoughts on what it should be and how it could be done. I know it's a bit more of a vanity initiative compared to other issues, but it's meant to get a local victory under our belt. Plus, the city alone uses 10 billion plastic bags anually, compared to 100 billion nationwide.

I'm personally torn between the tax and outright ban. The ban would be easier to sell and harder revoke, though the revenue from the tax could be directed towards a seperate initiative that directly benefits the population.

Just to put it out there: Paper bags will still be in use. This is really only directed towards the single use plastic bags you get at stores.

Paper bags are just as bad as plastic and cotton totes are even worse. I suggest using the effort instead on making better biodegradable reusable bags and give them out for free. Then ban plastic and paper ones.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MizPiz posted:

I'm currently working with Greenpeace on a campaign to get a plastic bag ban in New York City, and the wider state if possible. We're trying to figure out the best means to implement it (outright ban, a tax on it's use, etc.) and I'd love to get y'alls thoughts on what it should be and how it could be done. I know it's a bit more of a vanity initiative compared to other issues, but it's meant to get a local victory under our belt. Plus, the city alone uses 10 billion plastic bags anually, compared to 100 billion nationwide.

I'm personally torn between the tax and outright ban. The ban would be easier to sell and harder revoke, though the revenue from the tax could be directed towards a seperate initiative that directly benefits the population.

Just to put it out there: Paper bags will still be in use. This is really only directed towards the single use plastic bags you get at stores.

There's been near misses in the NY legislature: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/us/plastic-bags-come-under-siege-in-california.html.

Sen Alex Padilla has been pretty out there on the issue, you might want to read about his efforts. Some more background on the issue:http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/07/plastic-bag-bans.html

10 cent a bag seems the reasonable position, at least to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like plastic grocery bags get way more use in NYC than they do elsewhere. In rural areas they occasionally get reused, but more often just get thrown out as soon as they get home. Here, pretty much everyone I know uses them for garbage bags instead of buying giant plastic garbage bags. I would end up using way more plastic if grocery bags weren't an option.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like plastic grocery bags get way more use in NYC than they do elsewhere. In rural areas they occasionally get reused, but more often just get thrown out as soon as they get home. Here, pretty much everyone I know uses them for garbage bags instead of buying giant plastic garbage bags. I would end up using way more plastic if grocery bags weren't an option.

People in rural NY do this too, they are also great for putting empty plastic bottles in to return for deposit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

People think they reuse plastic bags a lot too, but it's a math problem. I could fit all of the garbage from a 6-bag (12 if they're doubled) grocery run in one bag and most other people can too, so you think you're reusing bags a lot and then forget the instances when you clean out under your sink and throw out the couple hundred remainders that have accumulated because you use a couple bags a week for garbage. The only people I know who run plastic bag deficits are dog walkers.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

theflyingexecutive posted:

don't call it a ban and don't call it a tax, especially while plastic bags are still ubiquitous. ffs, don't even call it a tax internally. incentivize reusable bags and plastic bag return and get people used to the alternative. Spend the thousands of dollars you would loving lobbying and give out reusable bags (a dime apiece in bulk) and/or have plastic bag return/recycling so the can collectors can take care of it. Do it like styrofoam where you clean up something already on the downswing or like bottle deposits (see how this isn't called a tax here?) and not like Bloomberg's soda ban/tax where the chuds get riled up about are plastic bag freedoms and NY1 brings on some elderly Asian couple who can't keep their buffet afloat without plastic bags and dog owners who won't have anywhere to put their poo poo. I swear to Christ if you use your whole budget to buy loving seven figure millennial marimba and sans serif text ad campaigns calling for a ban/tax in front of every YouTube video and the bill goes down in flames on the assembly floor instead of just leveraging systems for trash pickup/recycling or pushing for more easily recycled bag materials or just loving buying the bags yourself I will be loving pissed

This is pretty much my thoughts.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

don't call it a ban and don't call it a tax, especially while plastic bags are still ubiquitous. ffs, don't even call it a tax internally. incentivize reusable bags and plastic bag return and get people used to the alternative. Spend the thousands of dollars you would loving lobbying and give out reusable bags (a dime apiece in bulk) and/or have plastic bag return/recycling so the can collectors can take care of it

We really don't have much of a budget to work with. Everyone's paying out of pocket for anything that we do since the national office is focused on getting state attorney generals to open a case against Exxon for burying evidence about climate change, which New York has already joined. We have been giving out reuseable bags the sanitation department have donated to us (they're in favor of the ban since plastic bags are one of the most difficult forms of waste to manage, including when they're recycled). Besides, both the tax and ban have been effective when implemented, so I don't see a reason to shy away from it. Greenpeace really isn't a slow reform type organization anyway.

You are right about plastic bags being reused is a major misconception. If you keep track of how many of them are just floating in the breeze when you walk around, you can see how obscenely common they are. New York may be a liberal city, but it sure as poo poo isn't for enviromental reasons.

Edit:
Also, we do recognize that paper and cotton tote are less enviromentally friendly to produce, but the forner is far easier to recycle while the latter is reused enough to offset the difference.

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Apr 11, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MizPiz posted:

I've never understood plastic bag bans. It just means I have to buy my plastic bags separately instead. I guess it prevents the assholes letting their bags go flying outside though so in that way it's not bad. That's some pretty crazy numbers for NYC though, how do they actually use 10% of the nations plastic bags?

People think they reuse plastic bags a lot too, but it's a math problem. I could fit all of the garbage from a 6-bag (12 if they're doubled) grocery run in one bag and most other people can too, so you think you're reusing bags a lot and then forget the instances when you clean out under your sink and throw out the couple hundred remainders that have accumulated because you use a couple bags a week for garbage. The only people I know who run plastic bag deficits are dog walkers.

I can't recall ever throwing away plastic bags instead of using them unless they were like super badly damaged. Which admittedly isn't that uncommon.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GlyphGryph posted:

I've never understood plastic bag bans. It just means I have to buy my plastic bags separately instead. I guess it prevents the assholes letting their bags go flying outside though so in that way it's not bad. That's some pretty crazy numbers for NYC though, how do they actually use 10% of the nations plastic bags?

Apart from the population size, consider the amount of times people here order delivery or are given a plastic bag when buying one or two items.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah I've legit never thrown away handfuls of plastic bags or anything like that. I have one of those holders, and I've never had to clean it out. I live alone, so I don't buy a ton of stuff in bags and I don't produce a ton of trash, so it balances well. Making them more biodegradable would be great, but making people pay for garbage bags instead is no improvement.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I can't recall ever throwing away plastic bags instead of using them unless they were like super badly damaged. Which admittedly isn't that uncommon.

everything in NYC is double- or triple-bagged because people have to lug groceries etc. by foot or public transit instead of the few feet needed for car-centric cities. also because of this, people shop more often for smaller amounts of groceries, so you can easily end up with four or six bags for a meal's worth of shopping. also, the city has a lot of really really lovely grocery stores that use tissue-paper strength bags that necessitate triple-bagging if you want your eggs to survive the eight block trip to your apartment

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ruben diaz sr. is running for city council, where he can do far less damage as a brash pro-life anti-gay theocrat than he can in the state senate. hopefully the candidates who step up in his absence are better than the people who are widely considered to be interested in running for perkins's vacant seat in harlem

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MizPiz posted:

We really don't have much of a budget to work with. Everyone's paying out of pocket for anything that we do since the national office is focused on getting state attorney generals to open a case against Exxon for burying evidence about climate change, which New York has already joined. We have been giving out reuseable bags the sanitation department have donated to us (they're in favor of the ban since plastic bags are one of the most difficult forms of waste to manage, including when they're recycled). Besides, both the tax and ban have been effective when implemented, so I don't see a reason to shy away from it. Greenpeace really isn't a slow reform type organization anyway.

You are right about plastic bags being reused is a major misconception. If you keep track of how many of them are just floating in the breeze when you walk around, you can see how obscenely common they are. New York may be a liberal city, but it sure as poo poo isn't for enviromental reasons.

Edit:
Also, we do recognize that paper and cotton tote are less enviromentally friendly to produce, but the forner is far easier to recycle while the latter is reused enough to offset the difference.

I'd recommend doing cheap things like surveying where plastic bags are most used and then distribute or encourage reusable bags there. You might not be able to curb bodegas giving out bags for a sandwich, but you may find more acceptance of reusables at grocery stores, especially around food deserts. Maybe find places willing to do reusable bag returns/exchange or encourage people to "upgrade" their unused plastic bags for reusables (it would probably be a giveaway in reality, because there's no way you could offset those costs with a handful of plastic film). Also, (you've probably done this) seek out other groups with the same aims and pool resources

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of more biodegradable plastic-like bag that people could use. An incentive to businesses to switch to those seems like it'd be a lot more effective given how many smaller plastic bags get used regularly for things like takeout.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they cost more (an unbearable burden on every single retail outlet, they will say), are weaker, feel different/are louder (remember biodegradable sunchips bags?), people won't actually know to recycle them (we switched to single stream because people don't know/care how to separate recyclables, they can't biodegrade in normal compost. they're basically the clean coal of biodegradables

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

they cost more (an unbearable burden on every single retail outlet, they will say), are weaker, feel different/are louder (remember biodegradable sunchips bags?), people won't actually know to recycle them (we switched to single stream because people don't know/care how to separate recyclables, they can't biodegrade in normal compost. they're basically the clean coal of biodegradables

I legitimately did not know that, learn something knew eveyday.

Anyways, even assuming there were good biodegradable psuedo-plastic bags, the best way to insentivise businesses to switch would be to implement a tax on plastic bags. Given that, as it'a been pointed out, plastic bags are ubiquitous in New York, the only way we can change that behavior is either by making it too much of an inconvience or just getting rid of them outright.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Snowy posted:

I'd like some Lyft in Ulster county please

what're the odds on uber operating anywhere in ulster

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MizPiz posted:

I legitimately did not know that, learn something knew eveyday.

Anyways, even assuming there were good biodegradable psuedo-plastic bags, the best way to insentivise businesses to switch would be to implement a tax on plastic bags. Given that, as it'a been pointed out, plastic bags are ubiquitous in New York, the only way we can change that behavior is either by making it too much of an inconvience or just getting rid of them outright.

If you have to do a tax, tax them on the supplier/retailer side imo. The enemy here is anything public-facing; if they see a line-item 5c bag tax, they'll loving flip but absolutely wouldn't notice anything under a 10% price increase on bagged goods, especially considering how fluid grocery pricing (esp wrt sales) is

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

huh, learn something new every day.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So wait does single stream recycling occur for all NYC garbage?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
just lol if you don't wear huge cargo pants to the supermarket and forego bags entirely

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Haven't had time to read the whole thing yet but there's a piece up at N+1 called "Lobby Day in Albany: Single Payer's Moment has Arrived in New York" with short pieces by a couple of writers.

Richard Beck posted:

With the inadequacies and cruelty of a privately run health insurance system now obvious to nearly everyone, what’s left in New York is the work of organizing. If no senator can be persuaded to change his vote to yes, then somebody will have to be voted out. On the bus home from Albany, one of the day’s organizers described the lay of the land. Senators from upstate are being scrutinized for vulnerabilities, chief among which might be the fact that political categories are currently quite unstable with respect to health care. Republican legislators should not expect their constituents to vote against a challenger who can realistically promise cheap health care for everyone. Organizers are also canvassing for potential candidates to challenge Republicans in the Long Island suburbs. One woman, a resident of Sunset Park, suggested organizing a campaign of community leaders to “essentially shame” her state senator. Though Simcha Felder was elected as a Democrat in the so-called “Super Jewish” 17th District—so called because it encompasses the Orthodox neighborhoods of South Brooklyn—he caucuses with the Republicans, robbing the Democratic Party of a Senate majority they earned at the polls.
Some, all, or none of these tactics might work, but I’m betting against “none.” Everything I saw and heard in Albany suggests that single payer’s moment has arrived in New York. It’s true that the state’s private insurers have yet to begin mounting their opposition to the bill, and when they do it will certainly make things difficult. But low turnout and a general lack of interest means that organizers and activists can have an outsize impact on state-level politics. Having never participated in state-level politics before, this seemed to me like a good time to start.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Single payer on a state level is stupid. Federal or bust.

E: still cool to see the baby steps happening.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So as a SUNY employee in the middle of all the free tuition stuff, we are all crapping our pants about implementation and the fact that Albany does not seem to know what the gently caress. There was a conference call monday or yesterday with the campuses and Albany that answered precisely 0 questions like "who", "when", and "how much" so this is likely to be an epic clusterfuck. They want this implemented by FA2017 too!

Also FYI for everyone thinking they are gonna get a free ride, initial calculations are showing that a lot less people are going to be eligible than most people think. Once details come out (ha), make sure to read carefully.

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Apr 12, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Also FYI for everyone thinking they are gonna get a free ride, initial calculations are showing that a lot less people are going to be eligible than most people think. Once details come out (ha), make sure to read carefully.
some details are already out and they suck. that post op-ed i posted does a shockingly good rundown

here's a rundown of possible challenges to IDC members across the state. klein and savino aren't going anywhere, and as much as i'd love to see richardson take down hamilton i doubt she'll run. i don't see carlucci getting a challenge either

the remaining four will get somebody. i'd love to see Miner (who has no love for Cuomo) take on Valesky

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
My favorite part about this college aid thing is that it allows Cuomo to claim he's progressive even though it only helps a few people and isn't exactly "free college for all" like all the headlines keep stating

In other words he's working hard as gently caress on that 2020 run

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

get that OUT of my face posted:

some details are already out and they suck. that post op-ed i posted does a shockingly good rundown

here's a rundown of possible challenges to IDC members across the state. klein and savino aren't going anywhere, and as much as i'd love to see richardson take down hamilton i doubt she'll run. i don't see carlucci getting a challenge either

the remaining four will get somebody. i'd love to see Miner (who has no love for Cuomo) take on Valesky

i notice that article doesn't mention simcha felder. Hasn't he had no primary / general opposition for years? Is his seat impossible to take or what?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i notice that article doesn't mention simcha felder. Hasn't he had no primary / general opposition for years? Is his seat impossible to take or what?
Felder isn't part of the IDC. He flat-out caucuses with the Republicans, so "IDC Democrat" doesn't apply to him. He only got his seat in 2012 because of redistricting. Before that, Midwood was split between Carl Kruger and Kevin Parker (who he tried to primary challenge and failed). Now that Midwood and Borough Park make up most of the district, it contains practically all of the Hasidic community in South Brooklyn, and it's very hard to beat someone backed by people who vote similarly to evangelical Christians. It doesn't matter that he puts his constituents at risk by refusing to back the single-payer bill in committee (Borough Park is ever-so-slightly poorer than East New York and has tons of people on public assistance) and wanting to raise the speed limit on Ocean Parkway to 30 mph instead of 25, he's a good Jew and you shouldn't go against that.

I want the male district leader David Schwartz to one day have a go at him, as he's an economic progressive/social conservative in the style of Jumaane Williams, but he just got voted in last year and he risks pissing off Dov Hikind if he's not careful or too hasty.

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Apr 13, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
A friend's coworkers found a body in the Hudson today.

It was a State Court of Appeals judge.

So far no evidence of foul play but... yeah.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ol Standard Retard posted:

So what case was this retaliation for?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you think this wasn't a murder motivated by bigotry, i got a bridge with the name of the borough i live in to sell you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Meanwhile, in the mean streets of Albany...

https://twitter.com/emilysmasters/status/852321784019988481

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

I want the male district leader David Schwartz to one day have a go at him, as he's an economic progressive/social conservative in the style of Jumaane Williams, but he just got voted in last year and he risks pissing off Dov Hikind if he's not careful or too hasty.

The district attitudes that are friendly to Schwartz are slowly growing in their visibility, especially in hasidic voters under age 40.

Hikind has been making some missteps that have not gone unnoticed and the increase in antisemitism/growing tensions in the city has even more conservative district voters more sensitive to public social and political moves that reflect poorly on the frum community. New development of hasidic communities upstate will hopefully impact district voting patterns, as the most conservative and reactive sects present in Boro Park are affiliated with the upstate/Monroe/Rockland headaches and can move up to their neo-shtetls to escape the city.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Early reports say it was suicide.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

if you think this wasn't a murder motivated by bigotry, i got a bridge with the name of the borough i live in to sell you

I guess the evidence is suggesting the former, but honestly even though I'm not particularly conspiracy-minded I was entirely on board with the latter. Just awful all around :(

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shageletic posted:

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
How many times makes it a trend, three? (not New York related but gently caress me)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so is alex jones or some other crank declaring war on judges? like, more than there's been over the past couple decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm so glad that the probable next state senator for harlem is the second guy down on this real estate development company and that he was basically put there on the democratic line (without a primary) because the president of the manhattan democrats wanted him there