Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i'm going to guess those robots aren't super hard to disable if they can't register your presence

Or hard to disable, period. Judging by the people who got through, any reasonably capable martial artist can take them down.

I mean, consider the mind control guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Or hard to disable, period. Judging by the people who got through, any reasonably capable martial artist can take them down.

I mean, consider the mind control guy.

He specifically didn't get through. Hence Eraserhead's remark that the robots were a bad test.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

gnome7 posted:

I mean, way weirder than Hagakure or Mineta passing is the quiet Kouji passing. He talks to animals, and there'd be like, no animals at all in a large, artificial combat arena full of robots. He may look like a big rock dude but he doesn't seem to have any more strength or endurance than any other person.

He definitely feels like a character who should've ended up in the General classes and maybe graduated up to Hero classes later.

I'm surprised that Kouji doesn't seem to be pals with any specific animals. Like sure pretty much anything will come to his aid, but if my power were reliant on the right animals being around, I'd bring my own.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do bugs count as animals?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Kouji has a potentially broken power but is too squeamish to use it properly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Do bugs count as animals?

yes, he used them during his personal test I believe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

The real question is how Hagakure passed. Did she just sneak up on the weaker robots and punch them really hard?

The robots can "see" more of the electromagnetic spectrum than humans and we're disabled by robo-nose bleeds.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I think that was definitely the best Illegals chapter yet. Iida's brother had great chemistry with Crawler so I'm actually looking forward to the two interacting more(and the eventual...well, you know). I was kind of "Ehhh" on the spinoff until this chapter, it really sold me on it if they can keep this up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gnome7 posted:

I mean, way weirder than Hagakure or Mineta passing is the quiet Kouji passing. He talks to animals, and there'd be like, no animals at all in a large, artificial combat arena full of robots. He may look like a big rock dude but he doesn't seem to have any more strength or endurance than any other person.

He definitely feels like a character who should've ended up in the General classes and maybe graduated up to Hero classes later.

Nah, if he briefly got over his fear of insects he could make them crawl into robot joints or whatever (and insects are basically everywhere). Though the fight against sound guy seemed to imply it was his first time getting over his fear of them (and it's a little morbid to kill robots by letting this squish up a bunch of insects in their joints).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Those robots are large and have lots of gaps. He could simply ask mice to chew up wires from the inside. There's no need to ask them to mulch themselves.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kyte posted:

To be fair, this is a society where everyone is expected to have some kind of minor superpower and where the hero label implies much more flashy and/or evidently cool abilities.
Most people don't consider "above average visual acuity" or "actually pretty good sense of balance" to be that noteworthy either.

That said, he probably could've made the UA class if he'd had the confidence. He is a pretty meek guy.

i dunno if my sense of balance was noteworthy i would still play with it and see how far i could push it, and his power is pretty flashy being able to jet around and climb walls is definitely hero material

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Kouji has a potentially broken power but is too squeamish to use it properly.
Squirrel Girl beat Dr. Doom. This is canon. Besides, it's not as big a stretch as it sounds. You have a hangar full of giant robots to build: do you work on the squirrel proofing, or focus on building them to shrug off HEAT rounds?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
squirrel girl is a meme

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Squirrel Girl beat Thanos and is definitely not a meme

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I wanted to know the quirk of that Ingenium sidekick with the horns and chinese(?) robe. She looks cool.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

The robots can "see" more of the electromagnetic spectrum than humans and we're disabled by robo-nose bleeds.

Hakagure's greatest threat at the moment is those quirk-cancelling darts.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Say Nothing posted:

Hakagure's greatest threat at the moment is those quirk-cancelling darts.

This is gonna happen at some point right
Ugh sigh.

(Somewhere, in a secluded and dark place, a short grape haired boy is in desperate need of a blood transfusion)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's no reason to believe it'd make her visible just like it wouldn't unfroggify Tsuyu.

Elfgames posted:

i dunno if my sense of balance was noteworthy i would still play with it and see how far i could push it, and his power is pretty flashy being able to jet around and climb walls is definitely hero material

He originally thought he topped out at bike speed, which is not very fast at all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kyte posted:

There's no reason to believe it'd make her visible just like it wouldn't unfroggify Tsuyu.

Her power is the ability to control light (based solely on the one time we've seen her actually use it). She can't bend light, she can't be invisible.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kyte posted:

He originally thought he topped out at bike speed, which is not very fast at all.

He thought he had to limit himself to bike speeds because he couldn't stop himself all that well so he was scared to really push it because of that.

As a mobility quirk, it might just be incredibly overpowered; he's already maneuverable as hell, and if it turns out he can go exceptionally fast, he could be one of the best speedsters out there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pnumoman posted:

He thought he had to limit himself to bike speeds because he couldn't stop himself all that well so he was scared to really push it because of that.

As a mobility quirk, it might just be incredibly overpowered; he's already maneuverable as hell, and if it turns out he can go exceptionally fast, he could be one of the best speedsters out there.
I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's about he perceived it. And in that lens it wasn't a great power. Going fast without having means to control it isn't very useful or heroic. And the goofy pose he has to take means devalues its cool factor relative to his standard of heroism.

Dragonatrix posted:

Her power is the ability to control light (based solely on the one time we've seen her actually use it). She can't bend light, she can't be invisible.
Everything points to her invisibility being a passive that just happens to coincide with her actual powerset.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

she uses her invisibility quirk to hide her body, which is completely transparent and a source of crippling anxiety

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ugh

Actually thats pretty hot

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kyte posted:

I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's about he perceived it. And in that lens it wasn't a great power. Going fast without having means to control it isn't very useful or heroic. And the goofy pose he has to take means devalues its cool factor relative to his standard of heroism.

Oh yeah, definitely. What I like most about his character is that he's the reverse Deku since he started off with a quirk but he's just so unheroic in every sense that he never really does anything with it, nor get anywhere near using it effectively, despite wanting to be a hero. But now we're seeing him slowly start becoming more and more heroic, and it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Ugh sigh.

(Somewhere, in a secluded and dark place, a short grape haired boy is in desperate need of a blood transfusion)

If they're aping American comics, Hakagure'll get hit, and everyone will see what they look like. However, everyone will be in the way, and the only thing the reader will ever see is the gloves pointing or gesticulating, and they'll have recovered by the time they appear on screen next time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You could do a really sad story with Hagekure where she somehow becomes visible temporarily and she suddenly realizes she has never known what she REALLY looks like, and she doesn't want to become invisible again but inevitably must.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

You could do a really sad story with Hagekure where she somehow becomes visible temporarily and she suddenly realizes she has never known what she REALLY looks like, and she doesn't want to become invisible again but inevitably must.

Or maybe she wants to become invisible again asap, because grooming yourself when you can't see yourself (and have no reason to care for your look) is hard, so she looks like a scarecrow
Happy End

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hagakure has to go undercover to infiltrate the villains.

The only way to do this is to become temporarily visible :ohdear:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm pretty sure she's only invisible because she wants to be because she likes being naked.

Like I think she specifically said that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm pretty sure she's only invisible because she wants to be because she likes being naked.

Just think of all the money she saves only having to buy gloves and shoes. Probably would get more mileage out of it somewhere where winter is only a technicality though.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

gnome7 posted:

I bet he just talked to the principal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

What if her skin's invisible so she's just like, a walking skeleton and uses her quirk to hide it. That'd be cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My personal idea is that her actual qurik is the light manipulation but she has a body that doesn't refract light for that in the same way Bakugou has unnaturally tough palms so he can actually use his quirk.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

I don't think Hagakure has ever talked about herself, much less her quirk, minus minor lines like wanting to stand out more.

That said I want this to be the case just because it'd be so drat funny for the gag to have gone on this long only to have been a choice the entire time. The only part that makes me wonder if how early she decided she wanted to live that way, since to be able to keep her quirk active and herself invisible even while asleep has to take a considerable amount of effort and practice.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think Hagakure has ever talked about herself, much less her quirk, minus minor lines like wanting to stand out more.

That said I want this to be the case just because it'd be so drat funny for the gag to have gone on this long only to have been a choice the entire time. The only part that makes me wonder if how early she decided she wanted to live that way, since to be able to keep her quirk active and herself invisible even while asleep has to take a considerable amount of effort and practice.

Maybe she keeps it on all the time for the same reason Deku tries to keep low-power OfA on as much as possible - practice. Turning light manipulation into invisibility might be a lot of work.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

What if her skin's invisible so she's just like, a walking skeleton and uses her quirk to hide it. That'd be cool.

the water she displaced back in chapter... 71 indicates otherwise

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tollymain posted:

Well she'd still have skin, organs, etc., it'd just all be transparent so she'd look like a skeleton.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hagakure is actually too small to be seen with the naked eye & makes use of her powerful telekinesis quirk to give the impression she's full-sized but invisible.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ugh sigh.

Naked girl in an anime - unfortunately it's inevitable I'm afraid.
But at least it'll end the debate about her actual appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

Maybe her true quirk is particle control, so in addition to manipulating light to turn her skeletal self invisible, she can also manipulate water to give the impression that she has a flesh body.