Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Can anyone help me understand why they had to add all the "except if...." text to the non-token Vizier of Many Faces?

Magic rules are based on a 20+ legacy system and sort of operates like a computer system that you manually plug logic into. I'm not sure that makes sense. Copy effects are strange. An embalmed token is a complete copy of the original card, except it's white instead of its original colors and is a Zombie in addition to its types. Everything else is the identical, so its token text that's printed on the token is more of reminder text - its actual text isn't really different from the text box on the original card. If anyone's wondering why this particular token has a different text box than the printed card, keep in mind they all do. All embalmed version tokens should technically have the embalm ability printed on them, since they're exact copies. It's just that embalm can never work on a token because it only works from the graveyard and they can never be in the graveyard, so they just leave it off.

Edit: Also, copy effects copy other copy effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Ummm

looks like except if to me

Basically that text is already on the embalmed token... I just don't know why the main card needs it as well.

It's not a double-faced card and has to function if you don't have a copy of the token card.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

evilweasel posted:

It's not a double-faced card and has to function if you don't have a copy of the token card.

This is the best explanation, thank you

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

ShaneB posted:

Ummm

Basically that text is already on the embalmed token... I just don't know why the main card needs it as well.

Babies play the game too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KillarySwank posted:

Babies play the game too.

I just never really considered that the token wouldn't always be around so it's just clumsy templating for that scenario.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ShaneB posted:

Ummm

I don't think you can put rules text on a token if it's not on the card that generates the token.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Token rules text is all made up lies, much like the constitution or when my dad said santa was real.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The best possible outcome for Hour of Devastation, plotwise, based on my limited knowledge of the plot (bolas is there, gatwatch is summoned, plane spoke to Nissa) is this:

Gatwatch arrives. Find Bolas has built himself a planeswalker factory and shielded the city and warped the culture into one of sacrifice.

Gatewatch stop all of this. The day is saved.

The plane itself or something of similar scale was actually being kept restrained by the sacrifice, and is sentient, the planeswalker harvesting was just a side effect that Bolas set up to extract some value from the terrible process.

Bolas is broken, city collapses, plane rides up, Jace and Nissa move to speak to the plane and convince it that the sacrifice was wrong, Jace tries to communicate telepathically and Nissa through her earth mother voodoo.

It loving eats them and the gatewatch has to flee, knowing a sentient plane is going to attempt to chase them through the blind eternities.

Bolas intercepts them a block or two down the road and suggests that New Phyrexia itself can be weaponized and he had been sowing the seeds for such through Tezz. We go to NP and Bolas tries to play NP, the artificial unlife creator vs Amonkhet, the natural organic life devourer, with the Phyrexian rebellion, jacetice league, tezzerets, and Bolas all having conflicting interests.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That clone made me realize two things that could help explain the wording:

1. The Embalmed creature has the same name as the creature.
2. The embalm tokens will not always be available.

It seems clunky, but this way you can easily shorthand its representation on the board by moving the card from your graveyard to the battlefield without issue.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sigma-X posted:

The best possible outcome for Hour of Devastation, plotwise, based on my limited knowledge of the plot (bolas is there, gatwatch is summoned, plane spoke to Nissa) is this:

Gatwatch arrives. Find Bolas has built himself a planeswalker factory and shielded the city and warped the culture into one of sacrifice.

The plane itself or something of similar scale was actually being kept restrained by the sacrifice, and is sentient, the planeswalker harvesting was just a side effect that Bolas set up to extract some value from the terrible process.

Bolas is broken, city collapses, plane rides up, Jace and Nissa move to speak to the plane and convince it that the sacrifice was wrong, Jace tries to communicate telepathically and Nissa through her earth mother voodoo.

It loving eats them and the gatewatch has to flee, knowing a sentient plane is going to attempt to chase them through the blind eternities.

Bolas intercepts them a block or two down the road and suggests that New Phyrexia itself can be weaponized and he had been sowing the seeds for such through Tezz. We go to NP and Bolas tries to play NP, the artificial unlife creator vs Amonkhet, the natural organic life devourer, with the Phyrexian rebellion, jacetice league, tezzerets, and Bolas all having conflicting interests.

Just curious how long you had to run the numbers to figure out that this story was the best of all of them

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Sigma-X posted:

This would be cool but it's going to be Aether Revolt 2: Graveyard Boo-ga-loo

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

So basically Battle for Zendikar?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sigma-X posted:

sure, except replace "jace" with "chandra"

if fire can kill cthulhu, it can talk to desertland

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If that text wasn't on the card, the embalm'd copy would not be white or a zombie.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mossyfisk posted:

If that text wasn't on the card, the embalm'd copy would not be white or a zombie.

Now if you want to ask "why does Embalm add so many words to an already complicated flashback token mechanic just for the sake of flavor" that question's a lot harder to answer satisfyingly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

So basically Battle for Zendikar?

More like Rath and the weatherlight saga.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

black potus posted:

Token rules text is all made up lies, much like the constitution or when my dad said santa was real.

Santa is real

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sigma-X posted:

More like Rath and the weatherlight saga.

There was something about Kaladesh that had vibes of Mercadian Masques.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

There was something about Kaladesh that had vibes of Mercadian Masques.

it wasn''t the art so that seems like a pretty dire insult

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

UberJew posted:

it wasn''t the art so that seems like a pretty dire insult

Much like Masques block, Kaladesh block did not have a third set.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

Now if you want to ask "why does Embalm add so many words to an already complicated flashback token mechanic just for the sake of flavor" that question's a lot harder to answer satisfyingly.

Because that flavor is awesome as heck, they're goddamn mummies holy hell.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because that flavor is awesome as heck, they're goddamn mummies holy hell.

Eh. They could've done the tokens without the extra rules mumbo jumbo and it'd have been exactly as cool.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
e: Nevermind. I no read good.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 13, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'll bet any one of you one entire nickel right now that Embalm Clone is standard playable, especially if Gods and Gearhulks are common

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Embalm wording might be clunky but it's never going to cause problems because the core idea is real loving easy to understand. They're mummies! It's like how Animate Dead has roughly ten billion words on it in some incarnations but everybody knows what it does because duh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ManMythLegend posted:

Gonna be fun to clone snake god with this T4 and go to town.

By town you mean, the graveyard as a state based action?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Lone Goat posted:

By town you mean, the graveyard as a state based action?

poo poo. Forgot he was legendary.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Did you think Rhonas was just a god?!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what if rhonas was one of us

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm the standard format where a competitively costed Clone sucks because every playable expensive creature is a Legendary.

E: poo poo it happened in Kamigawa too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Clone a green Gearhulk, go to town that way, it's a nice commute

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

myDad posted:

Santa is real

A..are tokens real?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

i refuse to read a word of this

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dack Fayden steals the plane of Amonkhet away, leaving the Gatewatch and Bolas floating in empty space. They die.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ultima66 posted:

I'm the standard format where a competitively costed Clone sucks because every playable expensive creature is a Legendary.

E: poo poo it happened in Kamigawa too.

Well back then, the Clones would have been Murder!

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
"pew pew, take two"

- every time I announce Harsh Mentor's trigger

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That was 90% of what we did with Phantasmal Image in SOM/INN anyway, kill Geist and Thrun.

The other 10% was cloning titans and Rune-Scarred Demons.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nevermore/Runed Halo combo. This will have a place in that gimmicky modern enchantments deck I reckon.

• Locked thread