Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yeah, having heard more about the Bri case I'm definitely out of that. The podcast is good but what happened to her is just too horrible and sad. Superficially it sounded like something comparable to MM but actually it is clearly a drug-related abduction and murder. Even the private investigator who heard the details was shocked. Poor Bri. :sigh:

what about the case makes it seem like that? her wiki article doesn't have much besides the car in the barn & i dont know much about it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what about the case makes it seem like that? her wiki article doesn't have much besides the car in the barn & i dont know much about it otherwise.

A number of independent investigators have pieced it together. TLDR is Brianna was a clever but naive girl who got in with a party crowd. She was staying in various squats and hanging out with drug dealers in an attempt to become more independent though her family lived locally. She flirts with a guy at a party and is beaten up by some women. She wants to press charges against the women, who are hardcases. Brianna is warned by someone not to go to work because she's going to get abducted and killed. Brianna is shaken but she goes anyway, guessing it is a bluff. That night after work she was abducted from her car - which it seems she accidentally jammed into the side of an old building while trying to turn round. Reports are 3-13 people (a mix of out of state dealers and some local teenagers, some with police records, who have already killed a girl) conspire to abduct, hold, and murder her. They completely destroy the body by dismembering the body and feeding it through a woodchipper on a local farm :(

The problem is that although it is fairly widely known by cops and locals who was involved, the cops don't have a forensic case as they botched the evidence collection and don't have the body. The police dismissed a single confession that matches the info above for "reasons".

All the details are in the podcasts - multiple sources.

E: I don't know if the second girl murdered was before or after Brianna. That was an open and shut case with a found body, confessions and convictions.

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Apr 9, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for a simple snitch beef. She had to have owed money (probably not since they usually don't kill you right away for that) or done something more (stealing from a drug dealer will get you killed in pretty short order, for example). Then again, maybe they were just crazy, but it seems weird that all that detail is "known" but there's nothing about it I can find online besides you saying its buried in some multi hour podcast somewhere. Got a link for the episode at least?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Solice Kirsk posted:

That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for a simple snitch beef. She had to have owed money (probably not since they usually don't kill you right away for that) or done something more (stealing from a drug dealer will get you killed in pretty short order, for example). Then again, maybe they were just crazy, but it seems weird that all that detail is "known" but there's nothing about it I can find online besides you saying its buried in some multi hour podcast somewhere. Got a link for the episode at least?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFbXjLx2kx39fYqwxQsnSA

Search "Crawlspace podcast" if that link doesn't work.

Start with Ep. 1. Tarik's interview is very informative. He says done multiple interviews in Vermont he has 4 public names and 4 undisclosed names out of the potential 13 perpetrators and that overlaps with what the police and investigators know. (I think even Brianna's family know the names.) The four public names are the ones who were involved in the murder of the other girl and given in the confession.

There could have been multiple reasons but the assault charges probably contributed. I think that the group thought she was likely to talk. It may have been money related but apparently she didn't deal (and may not even have used). I don't claim to know and the investigators say they don't know the exact reason either.

Apparently the girls in the group were jealous and violent and there was a history of her being bullied.

TBH I'm not going to be finding out any more because it's super depressing - not just her life and death but the silence of the town and the way her family were taunted by some kids afterwards.

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Apr 9, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I tried listening to it and found it incredibly amateur. Made it through the first episode and like 10 minutes into the second. I think a good producer could salvage the show, but it's not for me. Not to mention when I skipped ahead a couple episodes to "Stranded" they started out talking about how they want her dad to keep them in check so that they do the right thing...then immediately segway into how much more bonding they would have done if they had dinner with her dad over Blue Apron, and it would have been delicious and more affordable too.

Thanks for the link and info though. I'm sure it's in there, but I'm not digging through several hours of that to try and find it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I tried listening to it and found it incredibly amateur. Made it through the first episode and like 10 minutes into the second. I think a good producer could salvage the show, but it's not for me. Not to mention when I skipped ahead a couple episodes to "Stranded" they started out talking about how they want her dad to keep them in check so that they do the right thing...then immediately segway into how much more bonding they would have done if they had dinner with her dad over Blue Apron, and it would have been delicious and more affordable too.

Thanks for the link and info though. I'm sure it's in there, but I'm not digging through several hours of that to try and find it.

Agreed. I like the hosts and I think they are informed but the editing is all over the place, they haven't organised the data/interviews well and that promo slot feels out of place. I don't think you're missing much.

Happy to help. :)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Been marathoning Forensic Files based on the recommendations a few pages back and HOLY COW is it my imagination or do 90% of all of the criminals on that show have a moustache? Like, the same exact cop moustache? Did everyone look like that between 1980-2000 and I just never noticed, or was it just mostly rapists, molesters, murderers, arsonists, and cops?

Anyway, I knew I remembered the story of Howard Unruh's rampage from somewhere in my childhood. A little Google reveals that it was because there was a comic book depiction of it in an issue of Dark Horse Presents. It has some fun artwork by Gary Barker.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xoFcitcrA posted:

Been marathoning Forensic Files based on the recommendations a few pages back and HOLY COW is it my imagination or do 90% of all of the criminals on that show have a moustache? Like, the same exact cop moustache? Did everyone look like that between 1980-2000 and I just never noticed, or was it just mostly rapists, molesters, murderers, arsonists, and cops?

Anyway, I knew I remembered the story of Howard Unruh's rampage from somewhere in my childhood. A little Google reveals that it was because there was a comic book depiction of it in an issue of Dark Horse Presents. It has some fun artwork by Gary Barker.

A mustache is basically a balaclava for your upper lip.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love Forensic Files but after watching a lot of them you can kind of see how 80% of the cases didn't need forensic investigators at all. Like they'll make a big deal out of the meticulous footprint analysis they uncovered as the killer left the scene but then in the last five minutes reveal the guy googled "how to kill wife" and took out a $100,000 life insurance policy on her three days before she was murdered under mysterious circumstances.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The show usually details the first time a certain technique was used or some wild circumstances of crime, which doesn't tend to coincide with crimes that were all that hard to solve.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like watching Cold Case files, with Bill Kurtis's soothing voice. The worst ones are when they have pretty good drat idea who did it, then have to wait a decade for technology to catch up to find DNA or somebody to talk before they can make an arrest.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Best Forensic File case: man murders his wife. At the autopsy it is found that she had undiagnosed incurable cancer. He gets jailed for life even though all he had to do was wait 3 months for her to die.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

whiteyfats posted:

I like watching Cold Case files, with Bill Kurtis's soothing voice. The worst ones are when they have pretty good drat idea who did it, then have to wait a decade for technology to catch up to find DNA or somebody to talk before they can make an arrest.

I miss American Justice. It's on some channel I don't get now.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I miss American Justice. It's on some channel I don't get now.

Second that.

"Dominick Dunne's Power Privilege and Justice", "Dr G Medical Examiner", "Vanity Fair Confidential" are some pretty good crime related shows.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
City Confidential had the best narrator of all the crime shows, and I'm sad there aren't more of them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

City Confidential had the best narrator of all the crime shows, and I'm sad there aren't more of them.

Paul Winfield or Keith David?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FrozenVent posted:

This was my favorite of all the crime shows. You got a little bit of history along with a famous (or not so famous) murder case.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the recommendations!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

xoFcitcrA posted:

I don't know about the '90s, but there's a particular kind of scraggly little mustache that all sex offenders seem to have. We used to joke about it at the newspaper where I worked, that you could tell which mugshots were sex offenders.

Not-so-funny story: I had two friends over the years who grew that same kind of mustache. One guy later had a rape charge dropped down to something lesser because they couldn't prove it, but it definitely involved a drunk woman and suspicious circumstances, and the other one is currently in prison for actually molesting a kid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pookel posted:

I don't know about the '90s, but there's a particular kind of scraggly little mustache that all sex offenders seem to have. We used to joke about it at the newspaper where I worked, that you could tell which mugshots were sex offenders.

When I was in HS in the 80s, we used to say people with mustaches like that were either serial killers or fast-food restaurant managers.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kind of like there are two kinds of cops: bald cop with Oakleys or mustache cop.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Kind of like there are two kinds of cops: bald cop with Oakleys or mustache cop.

Jacked up black dudes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pookel posted:

Not-so-funny story: I had two friends over the years who grew that same kind of mustache. One guy later had a rape charge dropped down to something lesser because they couldn't prove it, but it definitely involved a drunk woman and suspicious circumstances, and the other one is currently in prison for actually molesting a kid.

The infamous "pedostache".

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

https://youtu.be/qZ7e8Zhcv4k

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone listening to the Shittown podcast? It is from TAL/Serial crew and deals with small town stuff. Kind of like Exit Through the Gift Shop, it starts in one direction and veers off abruptly.

Mercury Ballistic has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Apr 13, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a white farmer in South Africa right now:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...ate/news-story/

quote:

According to the TAU, last year there were 345 attacks resulting in 70 deaths — the highest death toll since 2008. In 2015 there were 318 attacks resulting in 64 deaths, and the year before there were 277 attacks resulting in 67 deaths.

In total, between 1998 and the end of 2016, 1848 people have been murdered in farm attacks — 1187 farmers, 490 family members, 147 farm employees, and 24 people who happened to be visiting the farm at the time.

While South Africa has one of the highest rates of violent crime anywhere in the world, the attacks on white farmers are no ordinary crimes.

While sometimes farmers and their families are tortured to obtain information, such as the whereabouts of keys to the safe, human rights groups say the excessive brutality may be intended to send a message to the general farming community — get out of our country.

Victims are often restrained, harmed with weapons such as machetes and pitchforks, burned with boiling water or hot irons, dragged behind vehicles and shot. Female victims are often raped during attacks.

In 2010, high-profile ANC member Julius Malema sang “Shoot the Farmer, Kill the Boer”, which Genocide Watch describes as “once a revolutionary song, but now an incitement to commit genocide”.

Malema was convicted for hate speech and the singing of the song was banned, but just seven months later president Jacob Zuma sang the song himself at an ANC event, in direct contempt of the judge’s ruling.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I honestly can't bring myself to feel bad for Boers.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Anyone listening to the Shittown podcast? It is from TAL/Serial crew and deals with small town stuff. Kind of like Exit Through the Gift Shop, it starts in one direction and veers off abruptly.

Just listened to it on an OR-CA round trip, kept us pretty engaged for 7 hours.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Phanatic posted:

Jesus. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a white farmer in South Africa right now:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...ate/news-story/

Tch, we're supposed to be eating the rich, not burying them alive.

The glaringly uneven balance of power that had persisted since the first slaves were put to work on the farms remained largely intact. “The spatial geography of apartheid has proved very resilient to change in the Cape Winelands,” Weeder says. “Land, land ownership, and the wealth associated with that are still firmly entrenched within white capital. For black people, moving out of the cycle of poverty is still very difficult without access to land.”

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my rear end in a top hat has a moustache and it's a cold hard criminal

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grand Gigas posted:

What the hell?

quote:

LAST month, British woman Sue Howarth and her husband Robert Lynn were woken at 2am by three men breaking into a window of their remote farm in Dullstroom, a small town in the northeast of South Africa, about 240km from the nearest capital city.

The couple, who had lived in the area for 20 years, were tied up, stabbed, and tortured with a blowtorch for several hours. The masked men stuffed a plastic bag down Mrs Howarth’s throat, and attempted to strangle her husband with a bag around his neck.

The couple were bundled into their own truck, still in their pyjamas, and driven to a roadside where they were shot. Mrs Howarth, 64, a former pharmaceutical company executive, was shot twice in the head. Mr Lynn, 66, was shot in the neck.

Miraculously he survived, and managed to flag down a passer-by early on Sunday morning. Mrs Howarth, who police said was “unrecognisable” from her injuries, had multiple skull fractures, gunshot wounds and “horrific” burns to her breasts.

“Sue was discovered amongst some trees, lying in a ditch,” writes Jana Boshoff, reporter for the local Middelburg Observer newspaper. “Her rescuers managed to find her by following her groans of pain and then noticing drag marks from the road into the field.

“Her head was covered with a towel. Her eyes were swollen shut. She was partially clothed with just scraps of her shirt remaining. Her breasts and upper body was bloody. The plastic bag, shoved down her throat, took some effort to remove because her jaw was clamped down tightly.

“How she managed to breathe with the bag in her throat remains a mystery. One of her rescuers later recalled how Sue was unresponsive except for the constant groaning. Whilst the man ran back to the road to see if an ambulance has not arrived yet, she managed to curl one of her arms around her breasts in a last attempt to protect herself.”

She was rushed to hospital and placed on life support, but died two days later.

They were British and had lived there for 20 years, which means they weren't even *there* at a time when the ANC didn't run the country. Where do you get "Boer" out of that? Even if they were Boers, that's monstrous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't let your stupid white guilt lead you to thinking that brutal attacks on anyone, especially people completely un-re-loving-lated to the political issue, are meritorious.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

A mustache is basically a balaclava for your upper lip.
I've got a theory that's this but unironically. Unlike most other social stigmas, being a paedophile is something you are almost as much as something you do, so of course some of them would feel compelled to obscure their faces as much as possible, because they're​ socially unacceptable at all times.

Doesn't explain the thick early 80s glasses they all seem to wear, though. Even the ones too young to have had adult spectacles in the 80s have them, so they must come in some sort of welcome pack.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Grand Gigas posted:

I honestly can't bring myself to feel bad for Grand Gigas

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I loved it. It's a short series but I was totally engrossed throughout.

"JOHN DESPISES HIS ALABAMA TOWN AND DECIDES TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. HE ASKS a reporter to investigate the son of a wealthy family who’s allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But then someone else ends up dead, sparking a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and an unearthing of the mysteries of one man’s life."

https://stownpodcast.org/

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Avshalom posted:

my rear end in a top hat has a moustache and it's a cold hard criminal

Hey, Avshalom, you know when you're getting a tattoo and the artist spritzes you with that bottle? You're that. I'm still coping with my PTSD over egg.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The "Buried Alive" episode of Vanity Fair Confidential is the most horrific episode of any of these crime shows I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

The "Buried Alive" episode of Vanity Fair Confidential is the most horrific episode of any of these crime shows I've ever seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jessica_Lunsford :smith: