Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Live for the ecomutants, AceOfFlames.

You are their best hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If the climate apocalypse means I can't read or post in this thread anymore, then it was totally worth it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chadzok posted:

Just kill yourself AceofFlames. You will be helping the climate and solving all your problems. Take some fossil fuel lobbyists down with you.

Can we try not to say this to someone who appears to be chronically depressed?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

If he donated his organs and ceased his production of carbon he would be saving lives and making a contribution to the climate change effort. Who are you to judge?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Climate Change: Just kill yourself.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm reading the Mars Trilogy right now, by KSR, and it's fascinating to see how prescient he was regarding the future of earth while writing it back in the early 1990's. Really nailed how the 21st century would pan out, with a few embellishments for story, of course. Really made me sad that I'll be too old and completely unskilled to get aboard Mr. Musks Wild Ride if it ever takes off. :smith:

This is more on topic for the climate change thread than discussing what someone chooses to do with their organs, you dumb fucks.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
climate change is super depressing but really its just our generations insane existential threat. the last generation had nuclear winter, the one before that spent most of their adult lives murdering one another by the millions, the one before that would have starved if not for the green revolution. another one or two before that here in the U.S. just loving butchered each other savagely to *improve* the situation w/slavery. the ones before that dealt with famine all the time. before them, the plauges and poxes.

the species will survive. life on earth will survive. its just a question of what the bodycount will be for the lessons we need to learn.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uh that's a pretty fuckin weak comparison. The solution to the cold war was "hey one of these states doesn't really have what it takes to not fall apart, so we don't have to worry about the world exploding anymore." and the solution to climate change is "gently caress you there's no solution I hope you've got the money to ride this poo poo out because 99% of people don't and the world is going to be a hosed to death flaming pile of garbage for generations upon generations to come."

Nobody in this or any other thread thinks that climate change is going to make humans extinct, that's a stupid fuckin metric to judge how bad a situation is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

climate change is super depressing but really its just our generations insane existential threat. the last generation had nuclear winter

You are out of your god drat mind if you think nuclear winter is no longer an existential threat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StabbinHobo posted:

the last generation had nuclear winter, the one before that spent most of their adult lives murdering one another by the millions, the one before that would have starved if not for the green revolution. another one or two before that here in the U.S. just loving butchered each other savagely to *improve* the situation w/slavery. the ones before that dealt with famine all the time. before them, the plauges and poxes.

Life is poo poo inherently because reasons. Like, humanity mystically has to have an existential enemy, because the Universe Wills It and Thats The Way It Is.

Aspire not to higher things, mortal; stoicism is the way.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
TIL: Climate change is not going to increase the threat of a nuclear exchange between resource marginalized superpowers in any way. Not at all.

JFC. Humans really are poo poo at threat analysis these days. Was it bred out deliberately, or is it a conscious choice to be so blind to cause and effect?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You are suggesting comfort in the pattern of generational existential crises. What is the rhetorical use of such a statement if not to excuse these recirrent crises? Do you understand that you are trying to excuse tragedy?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enraged_camel posted:

You are out of your god drat mind if you think nuclear winter is no longer an existential threat.

good point

my point was that there has always been something to freak out over, get depressed about, and wallow in.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rime posted:

TIL: Climate change is not going to increase the threat of a nuclear exchange between resource marginalized superpowers in any way. Not at all.

JFC. Humans really are poo poo at threat analysis these days. Was it bred out deliberately, or is it a conscious choice to be so blind to cause and effect?

Evolution can't respond in 100 years to the threats of industrialization. We're machines that are designed from top to bottom to consume, gently caress, and kill. What do you want from us? An ecological renaissance isn't going to happen out of ideology or hopefulness.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Humanity's existential enemy is itself, when you get right down to it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

Evolution can't respond in 100 years to the threats of industrialization. We're machines that are designed from top to bottom to consume, gently caress, and kill. What do you want from us? An ecological renaissance isn't going to happen out of ideology or hopefulness.

Not all of us are brainless mensch's like the sovereign motorcyclist.

We don't need to "evolve" out of this, we just needed to be slightly thoughtful.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StabbinHobo posted:

good point

my point was that there has always been something to freak out over, get depressed about, and wallow in.

So long as this is truly the extent of your point, that's fine.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Gotta stay positive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIYyhIfH6Qo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Salt Fish posted:

Pffft. It has nothing to do with evolution, and if anything the evolution has been that (thanks to industrialization) we no longer require adequate critical thinking and threat analysis in our daily lives if we want to survive long enough to breed.

People can't grasp the long term ramifications of blowing their paycheque at the strip bar every week let alone that we're closer to a nuclear exchange today than we ever were at the hieght of the cold war, despite the evidence being right there in front of them to read and digest.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rime posted:

we're closer to a nuclear exchange today than we ever were at the hieght of the cold war, despite the evidence being right there in front of them to read and digest.

uh no

not yet, anyway. Maybe next week?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

uh no

not yet, anyway. Maybe next week?

We did drop a MOAB today though so I guess that mountain had it coming.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any conference talk recommendations about strategy and planning around the implications of climate change, especially worst-case outcomes?

Talks about Iceland looking to capitalize on Arctic shipping, geostrategic implications of global food/water shortages, etc.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Accretionist posted:

Any conference talk recommendations about strategy and planning around the implications of climate change, especially worst-case outcomes?

Talks about Iceland looking to capitalize on Arctic shipping, geostrategic implications of global food/water shortages, etc.

The National Adaptation Forum is coming up, I think. If you're looking for more Dark Mountain kind of poo poo apparently most of that is happening in England and Arizona/New Mexico. Google your way.

Edit: misread your question. I can't honestly think of anything like that that isn't just another talking head going "so we need to act!" So many talks at confrerences are still in the mode of "I'm informing you of the problem" rather than "The problem is yesterday's news, what about tomorrow?", if you know what I mean.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

No that stuff is all going on sub rosa.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Extent and area are pretty comparable to past years, but one big thing isn't - volume:
https://twitter.com/ddimick/status/852476136726638592
Yikes.

Takeaway is that there is much thinner ice all the gently caress over.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 16, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm looking forward to this year's minimum.

Climate Change: The Greatest Show on Earth

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil_Greven posted:

Extent and area are pretty comparable to past years, but one big thing isn't - volume:
https://twitter.com/ddimick/status/852476136726638592
Yikes.

Takeaway is that there is much thinner ice all the gently caress over.

I'm reading that extents and area are at record minima. Am I reading something wrong?

https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/global-sea-ice

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Potato Salad posted:

I'm reading that extents and area are at record minima. Am I reading something wrong?

That's global.

Here's ice extent for just the Arctic: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Potato Salad posted:

They're at the very low end, but for the past few weeks (up until about now) there was actually competition for lowest records - that's what I mean by comparable to past few years.

There's no comparison between volume; it's vastly lower.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Well, remember a little bit back where there was a projection for another El Niño year this year?

I was watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXNaNXwWvmk

To be fair, the projection is lower now, but the chart in the presentation caught my eye.

About 17:30 in, there's a a projection from February for it... note the y-axis:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 17, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This one hasn't popped up yet:

Receding glacier causes immense Canadian river to vanish in four days

quote:

An immense river that flowed from one of Canada’s largest glaciers vanished over the course of four days last year, scientists have reported, in an unsettling illustration of how global warming dramatically changes the world’s geography.

The abrupt and unexpected disappearance of the Slims river, which spanned up to 150 metres at its widest points, is the first observed case of “river piracy”, in which the flow of one river is suddenly diverted into another.

For hundreds of years, the Slims carried meltwater northwards from the vast Kaskawulsh glacier in Canada’s Yukon territory into the Kluane river, then into the Yukon river towards the Bering Sea. But in spring 2016, a period of intense melting of the glacier meant the drainage gradient was tipped in favour of a second river, redirecting the meltwater to the Gulf of Alaska, thousands of miles from its original destination.

:stare:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

According to the study, they think it's likely that increased erosion in the river the glacier is now discharging to will eventually connect it back to the Slims.

e: Just rechecked after reading the study yesterday and erosion is expected to connect the river to the lake the Slims drained into, not the Slims itself.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 19, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Scorching March brings Arctic temperatures up to 20°F warmer than normal. 7,000 massive methane gas bubbles under the Russian permafrost could explode anytime.

Just another card in the stack.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I was telling one of my coworkers about the methane gas bubbles and he goes "that's awesome, i hope it happens soon and Russia gets hosed!!!"

:stonklol:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This world will have ended in nuclear war before we see the worst of global warming.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mercrom posted:

This world will have ended in nuclear war before we see the worst of global warming.

inshallah

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like to watch this video to take my mind off of climate change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZ3LGfSMhA

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

it's like watching some space exploration sci-fi scenario except it's unfolding in real life.

like some grunt on a big rear end spaceship is staring down at a poor alien planet saying "Sir, the Clathrate Gun is ready to fire on your mark."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

call to action posted:

I like to watch this video to take my mind off of climate change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZ3LGfSMhA

Goddamn, this noise scared the poo poo out of me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZ3LGfSMhA&t=3270s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

something's a bit off with their colour scale. they need to extend the reds out, 12.1 should be closer to 'black death' than 'hot chilli red'