Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if you like horror and don't have a problem with subtitles, The Eyes of My Mother is the #1 thing I'd watch if I only had Netflix for one more day. It's up there with any of the excellent horror from the past few years, horror fans definitely should not miss a chance to see it for free(although I paid $7 to rent it and thought it was worth every penny and more).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

has anyone else watched The Discovery yet

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Pretty cool (and long) article about how Netflix and Amazon are changing movie distribution.

https://theringer.com/netflix-amazon-studios-independent-film-sundance-5def390a69ef

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Because that's how it was made. Original film reels or negatives are expensive and hard to come by. VHS transfers were used not only for the luma key, "Shadowrama" theater effect - but also as references for the performers, who were watching the film and following a script on hidden video monitors. (You can frequently tell, especially in the Mike seasons, that the characters are not looking up at a big screen, but down in front of them.)

These creative choices give MST3K aesthetic and thematic distinction. Again, there is a layering of audiovisual cultures which is fascinating and complements the subject of mockery, independent of whether or not the experiment is funny.

I agree entirely about aesthetics here, but that's just VHS. A rip is a thing you make in a digital age, when other sources should be available or when you intentionally choose a VHS source. In those cases you're implicitly part of an HD or at least DVD world. MST3K matches its aesthetic to the films it features, but in 1990 those are the only versions of those films. They're literally the same copies that were used for regular broadcast. Nobody at the time thought of the film source used as a deliberate choice: it's just what what was on tube tvs, which were just tvs. This was before home video used letterbox outside of laserdisc. Film cans and reels are just metonyms for movies in MST3K.

There's no claim in MST3K about fidelity of source material because there is no other source material, though they certainly acknowledge the poor quality of the broadcast versions they get.

quote:

Can you give some examples of this?

I'm at work now but will search youtube for what I mean when I can. For now, Svengoolie does some of this on his weekly show when coming back from commercial, usually.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just got Hoopla which has a bunch of the Elvira Presents stuff, I've been meaning to check some of those out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

You like horror: The Eyes of My Mother gets nothing but love in the horror thread, It Follows is still up, Mulholland Drive,

Lots of Herzog documentaries including his newest two Lo and Behold and Into The Inferno; The Big Short is good, a lot of good Coen Bros movies, Night Crawler.

You can do a John Carpenter double feature with Big Trouble In Little China and Escape From New York.

I dunno, what are you in the mood for?

New critically lauded films mostly. Not that much into horror, even though I liked It Follows. Like foreign flicks as well, real big fan of Korean movies. Already seen The Big Short and Night Crawler and the Carpenter movies. Something that transports me to another place or time would be ideal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

New critically lauded films mostly. Not that much into horror, even though I liked It Follows. Like foreign flicks as well, real big fan of Korean movies. Already seen The Big Short and Night Crawler and the Carpenter movies. Something that transports me to another place or time would be ideal.

What about The Wailing? If you love Korean movies then you should enjoy it, although there's a good shot you've already seen it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

What about The Wailing? If you love Korean movies then you should enjoy it, although there's a good shot you've already seen it.

I posted my reax a couple of pages, but I hated it. A rewardless slog that I quit an hour into it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

I posted my reax a couple of pages, but I hated it. A rewardless slog that I quit an hour into it.

That's not really an unusual reaction, just a little odd that you say you normally love Korean movies. The Wailing is a very Korean movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Jack Gladney posted:

I agree entirely about aesthetics here, but that's just VHS. A rip is a thing you make in a digital age, when other sources should be available or when you intentionally choose a VHS source. In those cases you're implicitly part of an HD or at least DVD world. MST3K matches its aesthetic to the films it features, but in 1990 those are the only versions of those films. They're literally the same copies that were used for regular broadcast. Nobody at the time thought of the film source used as a deliberate choice: it's just what what was on tube tvs, which were just tvs. This was before home video used letterbox outside of laserdisc. Film cans and reels are just metonyms for movies in MST3K.

There's no claim in MST3K about fidelity of source material because there is no other source material, though they certainly acknowledge the poor quality of the broadcast versions they get.

This is fair enough, but I did not write that MST3K claimed fidelity to the source material. I have written that, in MST3K, there is not only no fidelity to the source material, but that the final product itself is a distinct text that collides signifiers of different audiovisual media. I do not think it fair - or to the credit of the showrunners - to acknowledge they had no choice in what format they scanned and edited their source films from, only to dismiss the setting and props of the show. The film cans and reels, the presentation of the SoL theater, don't have to be there, and are not aesthetically consistent with either the format of the found materials, or the recording/exhibition of the show itself. They are not just metonyms for movies, but for conservative cinematic culture (where Joel and the bots wish they could be, watching 'real movies'). Like the found materials ("special parts") used to make the robots and inventions, they simultaneously stand in for what the objects are 'supposed to be' and what they are absolutely not.

That's the fascinating thing about MST3K that survives so much of the show being kind of a slog. The inter- and meta-textual contradictions compound upon themselves to such an extreme extent that it comes to contain both the sublime and masochistic aspects of B-movie culture. The plot of the show is that these movies are being used by a would-be super-villain as torture. The text of the show is that the showrunners are foregrounding this scenario so that the spectator can dwell upon the subject, but be protected from its unalloyed violence.

Funny enough, the clearest antecedent of this format can be found not in local access TV shows, but Walt Disney's Fun and Fancy Free, featuring ventriloquist Edgar Bergen.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

K. Waste posted:

:words: distinct text that collides signifiers of different audiovisual media are not aesthetically consistent with either the format of the found materials, :words: just metonyms for movies, but for conservative cinematic culture. :words: The inter- and meta-textual contradictions compound upon themselves to such an extreme extent that it comes to contain both the sublime and masochistic aspects of B-movie culture. :words:

tl;dr?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I have this thread and the MST3K thread bookmarked, and I've been having the hardest time keeping track of which thread I'm in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

what in the everloving gently caress

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Forget it Timby, it's K. Waste

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

This is fair enough, but I did not write that MST3K claimed fidelity to the source material. I have written that, in MST3K, there is not only no fidelity to the source material, but that the final product itself is a distinct text that collides signifiers of different audiovisual media. I do not think it fair - or to the credit of the showrunners - to acknowledge they had no choice in what format they scanned and edited their source films from, only to dismiss the setting and props of the show. The film cans and reels, the presentation of the SoL theater, don't have to be there, and are not aesthetically consistent with either the format of the found materials, or the recording/exhibition of the show itself. They are not just metonyms for movies, but for conservative cinematic culture (where Joel and the bots wish they could be, watching 'real movies'). Like the found materials ("special parts") used to make the robots and inventions, they simultaneously stand in for what the objects are 'supposed to be' and what they are absolutely not.

That's the fascinating thing about MST3K that survives so much of the show being kind of a slog. The inter- and meta-textual contradictions compound upon themselves to such an extreme extent that it comes to contain both the sublime and masochistic aspects of B-movie culture. The plot of the show is that these movies are being used by a would-be super-villain as torture. The text of the show is that the showrunners are foregrounding this scenario so that the spectator can dwell upon the subject, but be protected from its unalloyed violence.

Funny enough, the clearest antecedent of this format can be found not in local access TV shows, but Walt Disney's Fun and Fancy Free, featuring ventriloquist Edgar Bergen.

You posted this text, which references film reels and VHS rips and claims that the show exploits a gap between what is promised and received wrt film quality:

quote:

Like, a running gag and meta-narrative throughout the series is that Dr. Forrester is the secret protagonist of the show, who is literally pretending that he has access to all these film reels and advanced technology to distract from the fact that he's literally just broadcasting to Joel on lovely, local access video equipment. The movies are all VHS rips. Not only that, but Forrester edits them himself, deliberately confusing his subject.

You're responding now to an assertion that there is no gap between what is promised and what is delivered wrt film quality. I'm not saying they had no choice. I'm saying that the very concept of choice wrt film quality did not exist in 1990 and is an artifact of the present moment that you're reading backward into a past that can't accommodate concepts like "VHS rip."

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Holy poo poo shut up

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

my summer at fat camp posted:

Holy poo poo shut up

- me, every time I've tried to watch mst3k.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jack Gladney posted:

You're responding now to an assertion that there is no gap between what is promised and what is delivered wrt film quality. I'm not saying they had no choice. I'm saying that the very concept of choice wrt film quality did not exist in 1990 and is an artifact of the present moment that you're reading backward into a past that can't accommodate concepts like "VHS rip."

When MST3K was on in the past, the films within the show were artifacts, commercially published on VHS. Now MST3K is the artifact wrapped around the artifact. The gap between what is promised/claimed and what is presented is not part of my reading, which I addressed in my last post.

MST3K makes no claims. The makers do not clarify that the version of Girl in Gold Boots they saw is from a print with missing footage, causing that infamous 'teleportation' jump cut. They do not clarify why Pod People features opening credits set to stock footage from a completely different movie. They just make fun of it, because it's a logical extension of the show's premise. I am not writing about the perception of the film's quality with regards to what the makers knew to be immediately available. I'm writing about the aesthetics of video-versus-film, and television-versus-cinema, and how MST3K collides signifiers of both media in a way that is compelling.

In 1990, people could still go to a movie theater and see films being projected, and then go home and turn on their TV. MST3K was an anti-realist sketch show about old movies. The moment it was broadcast, to say nothing of when it was syndicated, it was instantly dated (and, thus, marginalized in programming, subsisting off a hardcore cult fanbase and word-of-mouth). The show represents a spontaneous manifestation of a peculiar subculture of North American consumers who buy, record-off-TV, and share VHS transfers of bad movies. In this sense, with its combined spirits of humor, collecting, and 'treasure hunting,' no claims are necessary, because everyone involved already knows what they are getting into. And, yes, they do know they are getting into something because, again, they would not be doing it otherwise. The whole point is enduring low culture in order to redeem it.

In summary: My point is that MST3K represents interstitial genre - bridging the gap cinematic and television/video exploitation movie culture.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

my summer at fat camp posted:

Holy poo poo shut up

Check out "Blockbuster Video"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Watched "Hush". Good thriller from someone who is becoming one of my favorite horror directors.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Louis C.K. 2017 is pretty dope. Not as much as Live at the Comedy Store, but still very good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Haha 30 Rock got Condoleeza Rice what the gently caress

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Watched "Hush". Good thriller from someone who is becoming one of my favorite horror directors.

Yeah it was awesome. For an inverse of that plot but similar horror aesthetic check out Don't Breathe if you haven't seen it yet. I think it's going to hold up better over rewatches too. Hush was kind of a rehash of You're Next for me.

Tonight I watched An American Tail and followed up with Cool Runnings while I coded a project for work. Why is netflix so great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

The 00s were weird

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Officer Downe is basically what if a film exec ripped a bunch of huge fuckoff lines of coke and demanded an edgy film version of Axe Cop. It... kinda sucks.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

drunken officeparty posted:

You should check out Parks and Rec!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Quiet Feet posted:

Officer Downe is basically what if a film exec ripped a bunch of huge fuckoff lines of coke and demanded an edgy film version of Axe Cop. It... kinda sucks.

Nah, it's what happens when Neveldine gets behind the vision of the clown from Slipknot, and it kinda owns.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Quiet Feet posted:

Its more like what if someone gave an edgy teenager who just discovered pot and 90's Warren Elllis comics a pile of money to make a movie. I couldn't make it past the scene with the asian guy in a ball gag gimp outfit. It sucks a dogs rear end in a top hat.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Its more like what if someone gave an edgy teenager who just discovered pot and 90's Warren Elllis comics a pile of money to make a movie. I couldn't make it past the scene with the asian guy in a ball gag gimp outfit. It sucks a dogs rear end in a top hat.

You could skip the middleman and just go straight to Ellis, he'd make the same movie

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Nah, it's what happens when Neveldine gets behind the vision of the clown from Slipknot, and it kinda owns.

Time for me to watch Officer Downe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

You could skip the middleman and just go straight to Ellis, he'd make the same movie

Stop saying things like this or someone will do enough cocaine to greenlight a Crooked Little Vein movie. Probably directed by Greg Arraki. And starring actual SuicideGirls and junkies.

poo poo, I just think I talked myself into wanting that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Time for me to watch Officer Downe.

The virus spreads :getin:

It's no Wyrmwood, but it's pretty good. It's like Crank-meets-RoboCop'14.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Stop saying things like this or someone will do enough cocaine to greenlight a Crooked Little Vein movie. Probably directed by Greg Arraki. And starring actual SuicideGirls and junkies.

poo poo, I just think I talked myself into wanting that.

gently caress that, I want a Gun Machine movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

gently caress that, I want a Gun Machine movie.

Oh God, he wrote two books? Is it any better than CLV? I like his comics but CLV is quite literally the worst novel I have ever read.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

It is indeed excellent (saw it twice in theaters, bought the Blu-ray the day it came out), but bear in mind it's also somewhat depressing, as the narrative throughline is Cave powering through to finish the Skeleton Tree album after his 15-year-old son fell from a cliff and died. If memory serves, Cave personally financed the documentary (as he did the album itself) because he didn't want to do any media interviews to promote the album. Cave hates doing interviews and enjoys loving around with reporters, but he didn't want to do any promotion for Skeleton Tree because he knew that the press would just ask him about Arthur instead of the music.

One thing I forgot to mention, and I think this might be up Uncle Boogeyman's alley: The documentary was directed by Andrew Dominik.

As in, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

One thing I forgot to mention, and I think this might be up Uncle Boogeyman's alley: The documentary was directed by Andrew Dominik.

As in, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I forgot Dominik did it. I should watch it, but I still haven't for the same reason that I haven't listened to The Skeleton Tree in its entirety, because the subject matter is so ungodly depressing I feel like I have to prepare myself for it. I'm seeing Cave live this summer though so I should get caught up on it before then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I'm always waffling on how much I like Fargo. Its defiantly entertaining. At the same time sometimes it kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I'm always waffling on how much I like Fargo. Its defiantly entertaining. At the same time sometimes it kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Fargo's one of the most tightly written movies ever, it's one of Carter Burwell's best scores, it's top five Coen Bros. visually, and it's drat funny and mean as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, not the movie. The show. The movie is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We cool then.