Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Loomer posted:

Welp, I'm now actually working out a methodology for sorting conspiracy theories into categories of 'realness' (as in, is it actually real, is it outright impossible, is it just very implausible, or is it a blurring of real and possibilities), category (UFOs, NWO, Nazis) and meta-characteristics (Millenialist, Eschatological, Anti-Establishmentarianist, KGB-created, etc) so I guess that once the project is done I'm just going to wind up trying to do for conspiracy theories what Frazer did for their ancestor, and which someone else has probably already done infinitely better (like say, Walker)

You've got a copy of Everything Is Under Control, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Spector29 posted:

I think i figured out how to run Demon based on reading this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it appropriate to run it like a heist game, with the added caveat that you can't trust anyone because they might be Cultists, Angels or Integrators? That's the current plan.

Pretty much. Do remember that you need to give your players a break from all the tension every now and then. Demon can down right oppressive with it without an outlet.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

You've got a copy of Everything Is Under Control, right?

Of course. RAW is a total boss.

Spector29 posted:

I think i figured out how to run Demon based on reading this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it appropriate to run it like a heist game, with the added caveat that you can't trust anyone because they might be Cultists, Angels or Integrators? That's the current plan.

Heat, only with Angels, is pretty much correct yes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Should be noted: not all Integrators are your enemy. Some may be your party members! You can probably trust them okay, most of the time.

E: after all, 'I want to reprogram God to be actually benevolent' is an Integrator viewpoint.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Dark Matter, Delta Green, and 90s conspiracy-scifi in general is rad as hell, but definitely of a time that doesn't exist anymore. It's pretty weird to see something you can remember being contemporary evolve into a period piece like all those 1920s Call of Cthulhu games. It's like watching that early X-Files episode with the menacing eco-terrorist. Remember when eco-terrorists were a thing? Just barely!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Should be noted: not all Integrators are your enemy. Some may be your party members! You can probably trust them okay, most of the time.

E: after all, 'I want to reprogram God to be actually benevolent' is an Integrator viewpoint.

Yeah, I had Demon sold to me as 'cosmic Burn Notice' and Michael Westen is a pretty good example of how to do a heroic Integrator.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dammit Who? posted:

Dark Matter, Delta Green, and 90s conspiracy-scifi in general is rad as hell, but definitely of a time that doesn't exist anymore. It's pretty weird to see something you can remember being contemporary evolve into a period piece like all those 1920s Call of Cthulhu games. It's like watching that early X-Files episode with the menacing eco-terrorist. Remember when eco-terrorists were a thing? Just barely!

I always thought it was spelled eso-terrorists. But I guess it's kind of an ecoteric word.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dammit Who? posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's one of those interesting things, the way the conspiracy world has evolved. I actually don't like it myself - these days there's a lot more partisans. There was always a conservative lean, but there used to be a much stronger population of universal cynics who were convinced both Gore and Bush would institute martial law because the UN instructed them to do so. Now, there's a lot more people who put blind or near blind faith in a political party, ideology or system. Not only is that much more dangerous, but it also dulls a lot of the best craziness and leads to things like Pizzagate.

The write-up for that one is gonna be weird, since it's a classic case of internet paredolia but the underlying idea - there may be a highly-ranked and secretive pedophile ring - is distressingly possible and real, and until proof comes out, of course accusations look crazy. But when they do (e.g. England's recent scandal, the Tasmania boy's home abuse scandal (my family is friendly with the Children's Commissioner who was actually booted out of office for attempting to expose it at the wrong time, so as you might imagine we're just a little more 'open' to the underlying possibility)) come out, there are other cover-ups involved and the general tone of so much of the lunatic fringe reporting where the conspiracy theories to harvest actually are is so abrasive and off-the-mark that the underlying theory is still often brushed off the next time. Secret illuminati satan cult sacrificing children for John Podesta to feed to Marina Abramovic? Probably not. A child abuse ring in D.C? Quite possible.

The best way might be to address it as part of a broader file on the whole 'secret pedophile elite' or 'satanic ritual abuse' subject, as a subtheory addressed point by point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dammit Who? posted:

Ecoterrorists were the FBI's attempt to keep the Cold War harassment of leftists going after the fall of the USSR. They still get bored and stitch up an Earth Firster once in awhile.

Speaking of, has anybody read the By Night Studios Werewolf: the Apocalypse? I'm sloooowwwwly working my way through it (It's 762 pages! you can probably kill a person with the POD version!) and it's interesting what they've changed. They've brought the plot forward and instead of Vampire's "The Red Star came and went and now we're all kind of looking at each other like the paying Springfield Power Plant workers in the episode where Homer averts the meltdown", the servants of the Wyrm launched a huge series of attacks and also there's some kind of spiritual plague that killed all the caerns and now a big part of the plot is the creation of "shard caerns" (I'm not far enough in to tell what this actually means) and internal political tension between a Garou faction that wants to make nice with the Weaver and one that doesn't. Also the Fera and the Garou are trying to make nice.

So far the big theme I'm seeing is "We're changing [thing we don't like about the setting] and using the ever-more-desperate slide toward the Apocalypse as the reason". Some of it's reasonably minor, like making it explicit that every tribe contains members of every ethnicity or putting the Fera up front and center. Some of it's more extreme, like how since about 2000 (nobody's sure exactly) Kinfolk who are bitten by a werewolf get really, really sick and if they survive come out the other side as a full-fledged, but sterile, Garou.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

ZeroCount posted:

Yeah, I had Demon sold to me as 'cosmic Burn Notice' and Michael Westen is a pretty good example of how to do a heroic Integrator.

I'd say that Cosmic Person of Interest would do it even more justice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any supernatural spy movies or shows? In print I know about the Laundry Files (ugh) and Declare (which is good, but incredibly smug about Catholicism vs. Communism and not from the side that I bat for :v: ) but it seems like an untapped area on celluloid.

I asked CineD and the only replies I got were "are you sure you don't want supernatural crime movies instead?"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I gave it a read a while back and posted a few rants in here about changes, good and bad. For instance, the combination of things they've changed should actually mean that Earth is hosed, all life will slowly die, and the Garou are rapidly hurtling towards extinction while the Changing Plague and the Bite are the exact opposite of what will preserve them. The actual apocalypse better come real soon for the BNS version or there won't be Garou around long enough to fight it. As a change, I don't know if I actually mind it - but it's a change that isn't actually recognized in the book itself, which suggests it isn't their intended direction of their changes and they maybe forgot a few things about what Caerns are.

I dug up the links if you want to read me ranting and rambling.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=257&perpage=40#post466540287
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=258&perpage=40#post466541344 < Here be Apocalypses. TL,DR: We all gon die.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=258&perpage=40#post466543854 < Litany
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=259&perpage=40#post466568215 < Caerns and the death toll
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=259&perpage=40#post466574608 < when in-universe historians go bad
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=260&perpage=40#post466629899 < Tribe stereotypes
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=260&perpage=40#post466634015 < Kitsune: Gaia's Greatest Mistake

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any supernatural spy movies or shows? In print I know about the Laundry Files (ugh) and Declare (which is good, but incredibly smug about Catholicism vs. Communism and not from the side that I bat for :v: ) but it seems like an untapped area on celluloid.

I asked CineD and the only replies I got were "are you sure you don't want supernatural crime movies instead?"

It's not supernatural, but Rubix mentioned Person of Interest for a reason. It's pretty much Demon: the Series, especially once you get towards the end of the first season and seemingly random things start coming together.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Likewise Rubicon. Not supernatural, but it really can't be beat for a spy thriller TV series.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Was there any change to the setting in the BNS version of Vampire that was as amazingly dumb as... well, pretty much anything of the Werewolf book? I know there's something where the Giovanni and Setites have joined forces but that's about all I know in terms of setting changes.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 13, 2017

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A lot of minor-to-major annoyances, but nothing as outright apocalyptic. I still need to actually do that book for the project so when I do I'll write up a change list like I did for METW20. A big one is that both the Cam and the Sabbat now have autocratic single rulers. While the Sabbat already did, even the Black Hand and the Inquisition are now outright loyal to the Regent on penalty of death. Oh, and the Camarilla now outright serve the Antediluvians and the Tremere and Gangrel are bestest buds ever. That one is a bad change but I'll be honest, I do want to see a vampire webseries called Wizard Dan and the Coyote Man so it could let that happen and that makes me somewhat okay with it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Loomer posted:

Likewise Rubicon. Not supernatural, but it really can't be beat for a spy thriller TV series.

In terms of spy TV, nothing has surpassed The Americans. Its thriller aspects are slow burn at the best of times but the full weight of the show is in the stress of living undercover in hostile territory, questions of trust, the identity confusion of actually wanting to be who you're pretending to be, and becoming existentially alienated when you come to question the purpose and benevolence of the work you do as it ruins the lives of average people and people you care about both. It's about trying to build real things out of fake things.

In that respect the only thing that distinguishes it from a particularly RP-heavy Demon chronicle is its lack of biomechanical horrors

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
We need to throw Demon the Descent to Jonathan Nolan or Netflix so we can have our biomechanical spy thriller shenanigans.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Rubix Squid posted:

We need to throw Demon the Descent to Jonathan Nolan or Netflix so we can have our biomechanical spy thriller shenanigans.

I've long wished for an American Horror Story anthology series where each season follows a different splat.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rubix Squid posted:

please Netflix, they don't have the budgets to even get tempted to show a Demon going loud

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of, has anybody read the By Night Studios Werewolf: the Apocalypse? I'm sloooowwwwly working my way through it (It's 762 pages! you can probably kill a person with the POD version!) and it's interesting what they've changed. They've brought the plot forward and instead of Vampire's "The Red Star came and went and now we're all kind of looking at each other like the paying Springfield Power Plant workers in the episode where Homer averts the meltdown", the servants of the Wyrm launched a huge series of attacks and also there's some kind of spiritual plague that killed all the caerns and now a big part of the plot is the creation of "shard caerns" (I'm not far enough in to tell what this actually means) and internal political tension between a Garou faction that wants to make nice with the Weaver and one that doesn't. Also the Fera and the Garou are trying to make nice.

So far the big theme I'm seeing is "We're changing [thing we don't like about the setting] and using the ever-more-desperate slide toward the Apocalypse as the reason". Some of it's reasonably minor, like making it explicit that every tribe contains members of every ethnicity or putting the Fera up front and center. Some of it's more extreme, like how since about 2000 (nobody's sure exactly) Kinfolk who are bitten by a werewolf get really, really sick and if they survive come out the other side as a full-fledged, but sterile, Garou.
I was briefly confused because I wondered if you meant the W20 version, but I guess not. I imagine a lot of these changes had a big eye towards accommodating their LARP play in a lot of ways which aren't necessarily narratively great but probably produced a lot of good-rear end poo poo for their game plotlines. Like that Kinfolk thing, that is totally a way to power-up a long-standing Kin player. (Is it breaking the Litany if your wife becomes a werewolf?)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Does anyone have suggestions for paranormal or conspiracy podcasts? I'm looking for something for campaign inspiration.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for paranormal or conspiracy podcasts? I'm looking for something for campaign inspiration.

Last Podcast On the Left has done some paranormal stuff but on the conspiracy side it would be pretty weak unfortunately. Some of the serial killer episodes might give inspiration.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kyle Kinane's The Boogie Monster podcast is ostensibly about conspiracies or paranormal things from time to time, but it's also equal parts about foods the hosts have or have not enjoyed eating. Real good Hunter inspiration regardless.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Kyle Kinane's The Boogie Monster podcast is ostensibly about conspiracies or paranormal things from time to time, but it's also equal parts about foods the hosts have or have not enjoyed eating. Real good Hunter inspiration regardless.
Hunter cell made entirely of Denny's cooks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Hunter cell made entirely of Denny's cooks.

That would be fun, never ever leave the Denny's. You and the other cooks are just constantly trying to figure out if a customer is or is not a monster while they eat their grandslam at 3 AM.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Gumball Gumption posted:

That would be fun, never ever leave the Denny's. You and the other cooks are just constantly trying to figure out if a customer is or is not a monster while they eat their grandslam at 3 AM.

Doesn't help that Arby's down the road is run by scelesti.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Doesn't help that Arby's down the road is run by scelesti.
And it turns out the manager of the Waffle House is also the vampire prince.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I would unironically play in this Hunter game.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Your Denny's storage cellar sprawls for miles with multiple sublevels and has strange jars of pickled things with dates several decades expired. Sometimes you hear esoteric chanting when you go for more ham steaks, sometimes strange humming that resonates in your brain. At least it smells clean.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tasoth posted:

At least it smells clean.
This is the specific point, more than any other, at which anyone who's worked in food service would decide, well something's hosed up here.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

How's the Mind's Eye Society doing? I just got an email looking for right people to try and get the Chicago domain (a local city-level chapter of the org) going again. How bad did we gently caress up that we couldn't keep a domain going in a city of two and a half million people?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pope Guilty posted:

How's the Mind's Eye Society doing? I just got an email looking for right people to try and get the Chicago domain (a local city-level chapter of the org) going again. How bad did we gently caress up that we couldn't keep a domain going in a city of two and a half million people?

A couple problems emerged, one of which was deeply personal to some very involved people, and deeply dramatic and utterly inappropriate to talk about in a public forum.

The other was that, for some godforsaken reason, people tried to run the Chicago LARPs at a community college out in the far reaches of the exurbs inaccessible except by car, for a city that prides itself on its exceptional (by American standards) public transit.

I don't know anything about the wider operation of the MES, but that's what happened here.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

A couple problems emerged, one of which was deeply personal to some very involved people, and deeply dramatic and utterly inappropriate to talk about in a public forum.

The other was that, for some godforsaken reason, people tried to run the Chicago LARPs at a community college out in the far reaches of the exurbs inaccessible except by car, for a city that prides itself on its exceptional (by American standards) public transit.

I don't know anything about the wider operation of the MES, but that's what happened here.

Obviously I'm not gonna ask about the first one, but the latter's a problem elsewhere- there's a college town in my region that has apparently repeatedly got a domain going only to fold months later because they insist on holding the games at somebody's house outside of town. Nobody plays, the domain dissolves, and a few years later the cycle repeats.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You'd think, with the popularity of Twilight, True Blood, etc over the last decade or so that it'd be easier to find a good venue willing to host Vampire Night in exchange for a modest fee.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Loomer posted:

You'd think, with the popularity of Twilight, True Blood, etc over the last decade or so that it'd be easier to find a good venue willing to host Vampire Night in exchange for a modest fee.

You'd also think White Wolf would've been able to capitalize on all of that in some way other than releasing a sourcebook about paranormal romance novels, but then here we are.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

For the record, towns in Denmark at pop<100k can hold regular games, though there's more of a culture of going to different cities to play.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

The personal part is unfortunate. But if they're doing in the suburbs without transit, you may as well not even be in Chicago.

It took me all of a couple weeks to get a bunch of brand new people together for a Awakening 2e game in the city, so I'd guess it's a combination of it being a vampire LARP and being way to far away for anyone to really want to schlep out there. I could easily talk people into trying a new game where you get to do crazy poo poo with magic. I don't think I could have convinced them to dress up and talk in character for a few hours.

Edit: I'm still new to Chicago, but I can think of a handful of places that you could swing that in well populated areas close to transit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are these remote areas somehow full of cool play areas or relative privacy from the mundanes, or is it because transit accessibility is "sketchy" and "feels unsafe" because "there are black people on the train/bus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They already made a demon TV show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Booth_at_the_End