Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am looking to buy a used/older model new phone outright to swap out with my Galaxy S5.

Should I look at any android phones beyond S7, LG G5, Nexus 6P? Thoughts on those phones?

Not going to be upgrading on contract as the wife is the last phone I want to get on contract with Sprint. Figuring we may end up switching carriers once our contract is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am looking to buy a used/older model new phone outright to swap out with my Galaxy S5.

Should I look at any android phones beyond S7, LG G5, Nexus 6P? Thoughts on those phones?

Not going to be upgrading on contract as the wife is the last phone I want to get on contract with Sprint. Figuring we may end up switching carriers once our contract is up.

Sprint doesn't do contracts anymore, they just do leases. They dumped 2 year contracts last year. I'd go for a Nexus - I just went from a Note 4 to a Pixel and it's fantastic not having all sorts of crapware on the phone and being able to customize it a lot better than the Note.

Not to mention the much, much faster updates.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I believe you can activate a Pixel on Sprint now, which would be my recommendation. You can take it with you when you move to a new carrier (not that you can't with some of those others, at least the nexus, but it has another year of updates).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

I believe you can activate a Pixel on Sprint now, which would be my recommendation. You can take it with you when you move to a new carrier (not that you can't with some of those others, at least the nexus, but it has another year of updates).

You can, but he's looking for used/cheap. Pixel is most assuredly not cheap.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I will be waiting till the S8 drops to see how prices shift down. And then decide from there. For my needs I believe that I can stay a gen behind and be fine. Maybe if prices are close enough I'll go new.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So... from what I'm reading not even SERO lines can get a 2 year contract with a subsidised phone?

All lease?

If thats the case its the end of me and Sprint... after 15 years.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Krime posted:

So... from what I'm reading not even SERO lines can get a 2 year contract with a subsidised phone?

All lease?

If thats the case its the end of me and Sprint... after 15 years.

Where are you going to get a subsidized phone now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Where are you going to get a subsidized phone now?

I think his point is that without the phone subsidy sprint isn't cheap enough to justify anymore. Which given you can get pretty low plans from Cricket and elsewhere, is pretty true.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Do SERO users still get a $15 monthly lease credit?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Worth calling and checking.

Though since I went Nexus I don't think I will be back to a subsidized phone anytime soon unless they somehow get a deal to sell the Pixel 2 through payment plan or something like Verizon.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I think his point is that without the phone subsidy sprint isn't cheap enough to justify anymore. Which given you can get pretty low plans from Cricket and elsewhere, is pretty true.

Yep. Without a subsidized phone my monthly bill makes no sense for me to stay with Sprint.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Why are Sprint's billing practices so complicated that even their phone agents and store employees can't understand it?

On Sprint's website and T&C, they state that they bill usage/overage charges in arrears, and fixed rate monthly plan charges in advance. My March 6 bill had usage/overage charges for the cycle Feb 3-Mar 2 (in arrears), and the fixed rate plan charges billed in advance for the next (concurrent) cycle Mar 3-April 2. I cancelled service on Mar 13, 11 days of service into the cycle. My final bill is April 6, with overage charges for the period Mar 3-April 2 (but really Mar 3-Mar 13, in arrears), and no fixed monthly plan charges because my service ended during the last cycle. However, it does have an unpaid carryover balance I did not pay in March that equals the 20 days in the cycle for March 14-April 2 after I cancelled service on Mar 13.

Yet no matter who I try to explain this to, they just keep saying that the charges on the Mar 6 bill are for Feb 3-Mar 2 because that's what's on the bill heading. Yes, they acknowledge that as published policy, Sprint bills fixed monthly in advance. Yes, if the Mar 6 bill was for the plan Feb 3-Mar 2, then the Mar 6 bill would be in arrears and not in advance. Ok, now refer to the April 6 bill; why are there no monthly plan charges on that bill? Yes, because Sprint bills in advance and I did not have service on April 6 (April 3-Mar 2) when the bill was created. But look, the bill heading says Mar 3-April 2. If those are the dates for the usage/overage charges AND fixed monthly charges, shouldn't there be, at least, prorated charges for the 11 days Mar 3-Mar 13. No, there aren't because Sprint bills those IN ADVANCE on the previous bill--the one from Mar 6.

Who do I need to talk to to get the charges refunded from Mar 14-April 2 after I canceled? Is there a corporate/executive escalations line or Twitter I need to contact about this confusion?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Why are Sprint's billing practices so complicated that even their phone agents and store employees can't understand it?

Sprint is a poorly run company. Always has been, and it doesn't seem to be getting fixed.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Is it just the new androids that are being priced without 24 month upgrade contract pricing? I just bought an iPhone 7 no problem.

Didn't they announce the end of contract pricing a while ago and bring it back immediately? I was hoping to ride this wishy washy wave a little longer.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

general chaos posted:

Is it just the new androids that are being priced without 24 month upgrade contract pricing? I just bought an iPhone 7 no problem.

Didn't they announce the end of contract pricing a while ago and bring it back immediately? I was hoping to ride this wishy washy wave a little longer.

Did you buy the iPhone from Apple or from Sprint?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Sprint, online. Had an upgrade available for a few months.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
If I'm eligible for an upgrade, do I have any alternative other than these 18-month "lease" programs or 24-month installment programs? The last time I upgraded was only about two and a half years ago, but at that time they didn't have this system. Seems expensive. Are the days of buying the new iPhone for a one-time $200 fee over?

Original SERO if that matters.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 20, 2017

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Blakkout posted:

If I'm eligible for an upgrade, do I have any alternative other than these 18-month "lease" programs or 24-month installment programs? The last time I upgraded was only about two and a half years ago, but at that time they didn't have this system. Seems expensive. Are the days of buying the new iPhone for a one-time $200 fee over?

Original SERO if that matters.

What options does the online store show?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Those two: 18-month lease or 24-month payment plans (that total like twice what I'd expect an upgrade to cost).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blakkout posted:

Those two: 18-month lease or 24-month payment plans (that total like twice what I'd expect an upgrade to cost).

Sounds like you're in the same boat I was. I get amazing Sprint service where I'm at, so I'm holding onto SERO for now. But not having subsidized phones, I didn't want to go the leased route so I said screw it and bought a Pixel XL from Google directly. Great service right now, but if it ever shits the bed I'm not stuck in any contact anymore.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Fair enough. Might have to go the same route.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Well I guess the decade long sero train is coming to an end. Are people still using fake ESNs to force roaming and get out of their contracts?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Fake ESNs isn't how you force roaming. Modified PRLs is how you force roaming.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does that still work? I haven't had unlimited roaming I think since I got that Free Unlimited International roaming and 1G of High Speed roaming deal they had as an addon to turn on. Since then since I have yet to go international, I only get like 300MB of 3G/LTE roaming then it just shuts me off. :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My dad has a Galaxy S6 Edge and a couple of Samsung rapid chargers. When he's down to 15% battery, he plugs in and the phone says 5+ hours to reach 100%. Is that normal? It doesn't seem very rapid.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Rapid charging products usually gets you to 50%-75% in a quick charge, then slows after that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

After I made that post I found that his phone loses battery life faster than it recharges. So I advised him to take it to a Sprint store (preferably a repair center) and have them look at it. I figure it's likely either the battery (which the phone says is good, but eh) or the charging port.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I've had my Note5 do that. It was after a software update. All charging was at the speed of the slowest USB charge. Fast Charging would not work.

I got another update shortly after and it was fixed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So apparently Sprint has a secret (or at least un-advertised) page where they are offering every number that ports in Unlimited service until 7/31/18 for free (* must pay $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee and other taxes for each line, also you must bring your own phone)

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprints-free-year-of-unlimited-data-whats-the-catch/

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I have a Nexus 5 bought from Google, but it says the device isn't compatible.

Annoying, because I've used this device on Sprint in the past 😐

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ryanbruce posted:

I have a Nexus 5 bought from Google, but it says the device isn't compatible.

Annoying, because I've used this device on Sprint in the past 😐

I'm seeing other people reporting similar problems
http://disq.us/p/1jkowvz

sounds like their website may be overloaded / broken, maybe try again in a few days?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

According to this official Sprint video, even if your phone is not eligible it may possibly be used as trade-in toward a Sprint phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rfMqQgG7U

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Here's something stupid. My wife's phone is on the fritz so I looked on sprints website and it says she can get a 64gb iPhone 6s refurbished for 15.63/mo. Great, so I start trying to order it, sign in and bam! It's trying to charge me 19.80 for the same thing. What gives? I spent 20 minutes on the phone with their sales people thanking me profusely for being a customer , and making no progress. I had a client coming in and couldn't sit on the phone another 20 minutes to see where their wandering path led.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Maybe the $15.63 price was for new customers?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah when you click the "save up to 40%" thing it says "24 month payment plan and new line activation". The difference is $100.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Yeah that's what it turned out to be. It took about 45 minutes to get the guy at sprint to see what the difference was. I informed him it was horseshit (politely)and asked for the price to be matched and he told me it couldn't be done. I'm torn between just paying the extra $4/mo and telling them to go gently caress themselves. The only problem is that I hate Verizon and at/t more than I hate sprint and t mobiles service is rear end in my area.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hahahahaha, I got suckered into that year of unlimited free promo. Tested the speed of Verizon before swapping out, was right around 22/8, not bad at all. Swapped my SIM to Sprint's and retested: .51/.27 :stare:

How the gently caress is Sprint so bad? I've been randomly testing Sprint's LTE around town and I've yet to get better than .74/1.2. :psyduck:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Hahahahaha, I got suckered into that year of unlimited free promo. Tested the speed of Verizon before swapping out, was right around 22/8, not bad at all. Swapped my SIM to Sprint's and retested: .51/.27 :stare:

How the gently caress is Sprint so bad? I've been randomly testing Sprint's LTE around town and I've yet to get better than .74/1.2. :psyduck:

Verizon definitely has the better coverage. But here in SE Michigan my Sprint LTE speeds are fantastic.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
My speeds go to complete crap during busy hours (2/.5). Other times I can get 20/7 , but I think they have everyone and their inbred siblings on Virgin Mobile hotspots or something around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sprint is discussing a new deal with cable companies Charter and Comcast

Together, we can be the absolute shittiest company!