Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

James Baud posted:

This is a pretty decent resource, though you'd have to pick and choose because there's some dumb stuff in there too ("Christy Clark said the NDP promises would cost more than someone else says!"). I think that focusing on education's the wrong target, though. Someone who is going to get upset over that already needs no convincing to vote "not Liberal". One might flake some off if there were a legitimate party that wanted to ban/severely reduce international students while compensating with increased funding, but pretty sure there isn't.

I live in a tight Liberal-NDP riding and will vote Green... voted NDP in 2013. I just dislike Christy Clark so, but the NDP's up to several strikes already. Thanks for nothing, BC Vote Compass:

(Re-weighting by my priorities doesn't seem to help)

thanks now i know i can ignore you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

In 2013 the BC Liberals promised 300 new treatment beds. Those beds were never delivered. The number of treatment spaces has actually decreased.

Now, they are promising 250 beds by 2022.

They are murderers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol look who cares about integrity

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c1Uzu0WxP8

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BC.avi

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Lol look who cares about integrity

You were lolvoting and now you're going to vote? CI what happened to you.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I'm mostly shocked I'm not in the absolute top left corner. I answered everything as communistically as possible. Still not voting green though.

This is literally the same graph as mine. Also not voting Green.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The Greens really have their ground game set up in Victoria. The Green candidate for Victoria-Beacon Hill has a huge and very nice campaign office right downtown. Also noticed a few Green lawn signs up already. Please don't win any more seats Greens. :ohdear:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Risky Bisquick posted:

You were lolvoting and now you're going to vote? CI what happened to you.

Spite voting is better than not voting, duh.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm all for third parties, but they dont make sense in our stupid first past the post system. Voting Green is only marginally less bad than voting Liberal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Actually it's worse because they're a bunch of woo-peddling retards.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm hoping for 4 more years of Christy to really gently caress everyone in favour of the real estate industry. Can you imagine what the gently caress is going to happen to this province?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

All our choices suck, tbf

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I seriously want to see everyone hosed so hard by an economic disaster

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

To be fair to the BC Greens (and I was very unfair earlier) they aren't led by an Elizabeth May and they don't seem to be into that wacky woo stuff so much.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 13, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

I'm hoping for 4 more years of Christy to really gently caress everyone in favour of the real estate industry. Can you imagine what the gently caress is going to happen to this province?

Hmm so you do think voting can make a difference after all, very interesting

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

just a reminder i'm :toxx: myself to vote bclp in Mt. Pleasant because gently caress this province and gently caress all of you

Now we'll know where that 1 BC Liberal vote in that riding will come from.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Also: Horgan's $400 a year tax credit for renters is a pathetic joke. You really have to wonder what drives these loving dweebs to think that tax credits are sexy to poor renters.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I'm all for third parties, but they dont make sense in our stupid first past the post system. Voting Green is only marginally less bad than voting Liberal.

Horgan was on the CBC radio yesterday morning answering softball phone in questions and I was surprised to hear him respond to a question about electoral reform by saying that if the NDP won they'd definitely have a referendum on electoral reform with a 50% + 1 requirement and the government would campaign in favour of reform. I didn't know that was part of their platform. It would be good for the province to have some sort of PR system instead of what we have now.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 26, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

Also: Horgan's $400 a year tax credit for renters is a pathetic joke. You really have to wonder what drives these loving dweebs to think that tax credits are sexy to poor renters.

Surely a $25/month rent discount, paid annually only to people with provincial taxes of $400 or more, will solve Vancouver's rental crisis.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Butcher posted:

Explain.

(Please.)

Right now we have three political parties all focused on competing for one part of the electorate: overly complacent middle class Canadians. If bad economic conditions turn that complacency into anger and fear then our politics will get uglier. Our economy is extremely unbalanced at the moment and all you have to do is look at what's happened in parts of Europe or the United States to get a sense of what might happen here in the next decade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Make rent tax deductible, reset assessment values on sale.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Or you know, just take away the cap gains exemption

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you take away the cap gains exemption, then someone can't sell a $700K house and buy another one. I think that's an important property (:v:) of the housing system to preserve. (I feel like we just had this conversation, but maybe that was with PT6A.)

E: making rent tax deductible would most likely just enrich landlords further unless combined with strong rent control measures.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You loving idiot that's the idea. To curb stomp demand and also make people stop treating their houses like investments. Finally renters won't be subsidising rear end in a top hat equity builders to live out their home owning dreams

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

James Baud posted:

That's only true if prices are appreciating at breakneck pace. Any modest gains in a sane market will more or less be cancelled out by existing closing costs.

In a sane market the gains will be so small that the exemption is harmless, by your own reasoning. The problems we're talking about are exactly the result of policies designed for a "sane" environment now operating in a different one.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
do I win the most left/progressive contest

https://votecompass.cbc.ca/bc//results/?hash=11ebe40f94c4b0f0648a6615ee602ca36fc8e85214920355337CNgT8

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes but it's because of your avatar

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Are there some examples of countries that don't have a capital gains exemption on primary residences?

It seems like there could be a variety of consequences to the policy. I'd be interested in reading more about any real life examples.

I certainly support ending the capital gains exemption on non-primary residence housing investments. I don't know why that capital gains exemption exists.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
And also I make $100k/year but can't buy $100k worth of stuff, what's up with that??

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha holy poo poo i just looked up the rules on cap gains in the uk

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home

if only HM revenue and customs saw this loving poo poo we have in canada

Meanwhile in the USA
https://www.thebalance.com/sale-of-your-home-3193496

quote:

If you sold your main home and made a profit, you may be able to exclude that profit from your taxable income. Here's how it works.

$250,000 Exclusion on the Sale of a Main Home
Individuals can exclude up to $250,000 in profit from the sale of a main home (or $500,000 for a married couple) as long as you have owned the home and lived in the home for a minimum of two years. Those two years do not need to be consecutive.

In the 5 years prior to the sale of the house, you need to have lived in the house for at least 24 months in that 5-year period. In other words, the home must have been your principal residence.

You can use this 2-out-of-5 year rule to exclude your profits each time you sell or exchange your main home. Generally, you can claim the exclusion only once every two years. Some exceptions do apply.

Exceptions to the 2 out of 5 Year Rule
If you lived in your home less than 24 months, you may be able to exclude a portion of the gain. Exceptions are allowed if you sold your house because the location of your job changed, because of health concerns, or for some other unforeseen circumstance.

Change in the Location of Your Job
If you lived in your house for less than two years, you can exclude a part of your gain on the sale of your house if your work location has changed. This exception would apply if you started a new job, or if you are moved to a new location with your employer.

lmao gently caress canada

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Germany doesnt have an exemption, but you can also buy a nice house there for 100k.

My friend's parents just moved back in to their house in Port Moody. They plan to live there just long enough to get the capital gains exemption, then they're buying a house in Mexico. The System works.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

All our choices suck, tbf

That was Ontario's election that gave us Wynne.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ah yes, Tim Hudak's plan to remove 100 000 public sector jobs while creating 1 million jobs, while Andrea Horwath forced the election in the first place by not supporting the budget and then was more right of center in her platform than even the Liberals. I guess the Green Party was there, doing something.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guys how can you only talk about BC politics when WEED legislation is coming?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Probably because in the end none of us are huge stoners and seeing as we know the Liberals are going to only legalize it if they can both funnel all the profits to the already wealthy while still being able to supress minorities while outwardly appearing to be liberal, we just don't loving care anymore.

I don't give a poo poo about the actual weed I'm a white middle class person if I actually used the stuff I can already smoke it wherever I want without more than maybe a dirty look or a cop telling me to snuff it out.