Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the prison that apparently has drop ceilings with big cavernous spaces to hide in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Maybe your friends were messing with you. There was a guy at Defcon that set up his own AT&T tower for a talk....................................

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

part 2 of attacking broadcom's wifi stack went up yesterday https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/over-air-exploiting-broadcoms-wi-fi_11.html

p great read

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in-band signalling :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just saw "the 's' in iot stands for security" as the title of a talk, glad we renamed the thread before that joke got run into the ground :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

just saw "the 's' in iot stands for security" as the title of a talk, glad we renamed the thread before that joke got run into the ground :v:

yospos must always be on the cutting edge of joke zero-days

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's from before it was mentioned in this yospos thread though :ssh:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

u/p combo

and I scheduled a Genius Bar appt to look at my radio too, s'all good

<3

am actually interested what turns out to be the problem

after responding last night lying in bed i was thinking about the recent broadcom wifi chip vuln and some of the known cellular network attacks and started getting really :tinfoil: about it and had to then remind MYSELF that i and no one that postso n this forum is important enough to burn that level of 0days on so that i could actually get to sleep

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pr0zac posted:

<3

after responding last night lying in bed i was thinking about the recent broadcom wifi chip vuln and some of the known cellular network attacks and started getting really :tinfoil: about it and had to then remind MYSELF that i and no one that postso n this forum is important enough to burn that level of 0days on so that i could actually get to sleep
i kindly disagree but the number of posters is quite small for that level of targeted attack

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

pr0zac posted:

<3

Take solace in the fact that :nsa: and friends put a lot of effort into testing to make sure their exploits don't get noticed.

If you noticed it acting weird odds are it isn't nation states being spooky.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 12, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

and always set your clock forward 6 months

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pr0zac posted:

<3

thats just what they want you to think

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
i'm the gaslighting reassuring the plebs hacking is rare and inconspicuous

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Computer Serf posted:

It's not rare at all, it's exceedingly common and happening constantly to people across the board, that was not anyone's point

the point is it very very rarely involves highly sophisticated 0day vulns or techniques and is almost always poo poo like reused and leaked passwords or out of date unupdated software or badly written iot devices or phishing with the few times cutting edge stuff is used being highly targeted attacks on specific people in extreme circumstances that warrant burning the exploit

go look at the podcast I linked a few pages back for a good example or hell read how pences email was hacked or the icloud photo thing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0zac posted:

It's not rare at all, it's exceedingly common and happening constantly to people across the board, that was not anyone's point

the point is it very very rarely involves highly sophisticated 0day vulns or techniques and is almost always poo poo like reused and leaked passwords or out of date unupdated software or badly written iot devices or phishing with the few times cutting edge stuff is used being highly targeted attacks on specific people in extreme circumstances that warrant burning the exploit

go look at the podcast I linked a few pages back for a good example or hell read how pences email was hacked or the icloud photo thing

To be fair, outside of Nexus devices, I'd assume that any Android device older than a year can be compromised by reasonably well known exploits since the phone will almost never get another firmware patch. It's not burning zero days if your attack from last year still works.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, outside of Nexus devices, I'd assume that any Android device older than a year can be compromised by reasonably well known exploits since the phone will almost never get another firmware patch. It's not burning zero days if your attack from last year still works.

It's more complicated than that.

Computer Serf posted:

:allears:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

that's so 2010, he should have his own app by now

Not allowed on the app store yet.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so my verizon galaxy s5 started blasting infrared - my media center remote stopped working, and i saw the receiver's light constantly on. had to physically cover my phone to stop it, remote worked again. restarted phone, didn't persist

its mossad isn't it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

apseudonym posted:

It's more complicated than that.

Nothing would make me happier than an effortpost on this subject.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mod saas posted:

so my verizon galaxy s5 started blasting infrared - my media center remote stopped working, and i saw the receiver's light constantly on. had to physically cover my phone to stop it, remote worked again. restarted phone, didn't persist

its mossad isn't it

that's their MO

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

your phone is jumping airgaps, hth

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mod saas posted:

its mossad isn't it

your two year old android that hasn't had an update in eighteen months might be loving up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BUT WHO WAS PHONE

thanks folks, i'll be here all week

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

if I had a device that did that I'd pull out one of my 38 kHz IR receivers and hook it up to my scope and see if it was anything with structure or if it was just something spurious

edit: it's almost 100% something spurious but it would be an interesting diversion for 10 minutes

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Nothing would make me happier than an effortpost on this subject.

If I ever quit my job maybe, but its too big a pain to separate stuff out :smithicide: but if you catch me at a conference I might efffort-talk about it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
my faithful Horse William threw a Shoe this Morning on another of these damned Spanish Roads. as this is a fairly ordinary Matter i would of course think Nothing of it but i had just rounded a Hill-top from which one might perceive a great Distance, and i had on my Person a Telescope following the Design of the august Sir Robert Hooke, which i regularly employ to spy upon the Game in these blighted Lands. and so i am left to wonder if an Agent of the hated Enemy might have mistaken my Activity for a Spy-ing of a quite different Nature

do not shy to speak me of the Truth, good sir, i beg of you: it was fouché, was it not

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rjmccall posted:

my faithful Horse William threw a Shoe this Morning on another of these damned Spanish Roads. as this is a fairly ordinary Matter i would of course think Nothing of it but i had just rounded a Hill-top from which one might perceive a great Distance, and i had on my Person a Telescope following the Design of the august Sir Robert Hooke, which i regularly employ to spy upon the Game in these blighted Lands. and so i am left to wonder if an Agent of the hated Enemy might have mistaken my Activity for a Spy-ing of a quite different Nature

do not shy to speak me of the Truth, good sir, i beg of you: it was fouché, was it not

this gimmick was dumb as poo poo in e/n and it's even worse here somehow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

first ive seen it and seems p good

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
imagine reading so much e/n that you had relative opinions on all the memes there

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

rjmccall posted:

imagine reading so much e/n that you had relative opinions on all the memes there
this but reposting them outside of e/n, and then getting huffy when people aren't jazzed about it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
no, i actually have no idea what you're talking about, i was just piling on tfe using a throwaway reference to a napoleonic spymaster and for some reason got loving called out about it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Midjack posted:

anthonypants posted:

this but reposting them outside of e/n, and then getting huffy when people aren't jazzed about it

trap sprung so loving hard

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

no apologies; i paid :10bux: to laugh at stuff and i intend to extract as much value as possible from these dead gay forums

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed that post friend

also apseudonym I too would enjoy even a mildly :effort: post about janky old android security!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

rjmccall posted:

rest in peace William, thought of null pointers and died

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

OSI bean dip posted:

Most (really all) people who post in this thread will never be the target of such attacks. Even though I do have legitimate and founded fears about certain actors and my line of work, the use of a Stingray is far down the list and should be for anyone else.

Seriously, I've been under investigation and three letter agencies read my blog and even then I'm not worried about this poo poo.

If you're worried just shred the phone and get a new number.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Midjack posted:

dsyp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i just want to be the memory security unit that has everything set to RWX anyway

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

well, this seems bad...

at least rhel is not affected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

WinNuke: now for linux

edit: dammit this probably impacts my retard phone

• Locked thread