Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

We don't believe in redemption and self-improvement? If someone has bad impulses, if they're from a violent background and learn violence they're just bad forever and can't change, even through great force of will (which we seem to acknowledge many athletes must be capable of) ? :(

a panda can't change its...vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

http://www.obsev.com/sports/new-book-details-why-lebron-james-chris-paul-and-russell-westbrook-hate-steph-curry.html

this is just a sports writer drumming up drama for a storyline right? The only reason i even link it at all was because they were talking about it on NBA Countdown just now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

boxcarhobo posted:

http://www.obsev.com/sports/new-book-details-why-lebron-james-chris-paul-and-russell-westbrook-hate-steph-curry.html

this is just a sports writer drumming up drama for a storyline right? The only reason i even link it at all was because they were talking about it on NBA Countdown just now.

Yeah it's tabloid trash.

Best 101 moments of the season recap is really good. I had forgotten about JR dapping Terry midgame.

https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/status/852167089980928000

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

II like WVRST on King and Bathurst a lot, I had my birthday there once. Really good beer selection and A+ sausages.

I was gonna recommend WVRST. Get a Wild Boar Sausage from Saskatchewan, a duck fat fry poutine and a giant tankard of beer and that's Canadian enough.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Kibner posted:

^ Thanks!

For Zelah (?), Boogie has been ruled out tonight. Tim should still be starting and getting pretty big minutes, though.

A matchup for the ages

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Spacebump posted:

What does everyone think of Yogi Ferrell at this point? After having watched almost every game he played for the Mavs, I think there is no reason he couldn't start in the modern NBA. I'm assuming he will improve over the next few seasons. Every Mavs draft rumor I've seen has them drafting a point guard. It will be interesting to see if they continue to try and force Seth Curry to turn into a point guard or slide him back to the 2 next season.

I'm certainly no expert, but I like what I've seen, and agree he could grow into a capable starter. Doesn't mean that he will, but it's always surprising to me how quickly people just want to dismiss anyone who isn't immediately a superstar, especially one who came in on a 10-day and has done what he's done.

That said, for where they're expected to draft, I find myself liking the point prospects more than most of the others projected in that spot. Though if Monk fell, I think I'd be interested in that, even though he did snub Arkansas.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
A Missed 3 Pointer Could Cost Trail Blazers’ Moe Harkless $500,000 Tonight

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JV just made a 3pter :lol:

caseys secrit playz

edit: sorry wrong thread

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hoiberg plans on inspiring the bulls in the playoffs with anecdotes about the rough and tumble Big 12 Tournament

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/852340486346072065

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hang the 2016-7 Eight Seed banner

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

hang the 2016 Eight Seed banner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Edit:

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/852344572881420288

Dexo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2017

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Can anyone relink that cool blog that had some insights into the bucks defence and how big a deal execution is? I've looked back a bunch of pages but I cant seem to find it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apparently Rubio had a similar thing with FG% needing to be 40%, and he was sitting on 40.1.

He was DNP - CD for the last game. Thibs making sure Rubio gets paid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
:negative: 2017 Mavs :negative:, a team told by the league they aren't allowed to give a retired football player minutes, closed out the season beating a playoff team that wanted to win the game and moving up one spot in the draft. Now I have to watch the Kings game and hope they win.

Goodbye :negative: 2016-17 Mavs :negative: season. Onward to the winning the draft lotto.

Players they rested tonight: Dirk, Barnes, Matthews, Barea, and Curry.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 13, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Sixers lose to Knicks, Orlando wins, and TWolves lose.

So lottery order for the first seven spots is locked.

1. Boston
2. Phoenix
3. L.A.
4. Philly
5. Orlando
6. Knicks
6. Wolves

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Just before the all star break I challenged all comers to bet me whether Otto Porter, who was shooting 46% on threes at the time, would be able to shoot 40% or better after the all star break. We are now at the end of the season and Otto shot 30-88 after the break, 34%.

This was a 95% sure bet for me. He was never a great shooter in previous seasons, and in college was good but not great. In any given season, there are only 15 or so true 40% three point shooters in the league, and there was no reason to think Porter had gone from maybe-average shooter to elite shooter in a short period. I put two dollars against every dollar bet that his performance in the first half of the season was a fluke and the second half would reveal his actual shooting ability as a maybe-average shooter. Regression to the mean is an inescapable force of nature. Yall are witnesses now.

Winner of the bet gets to choose the charity that the bets go to. Because dogs are the best people and old dogs are the best dogs, I choose Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary. Thank you to the following donors:

Chairchucker - $50
Femur - $5
NickRoweFillea - $10
Doltos - $10
Paul Zuvella - $10

also

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

This is a good article.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-five-plays-pick-and-rolls-handoffs-warriors-rockets-jazz-3f7739d623ec

quote:

The Pick-and-Roll of Death?
Despite what they’ve done in pushing the pick-and-roll forward in past years, the Warriors are hardly running the play this season. They finish only 21 percent of their possessions with a score out of the pick-and-roll, which ranks last in the NBA, per Synergy, nearly seven percentage points less than the next closest team (the Sixers). Kerr does get creative when they do use it, though: Much of the Warriors playbook employs guards as screeners. But their pick-and-roll attack sputtered in the playoffs when the Cavs would switch the screen. The Cavs figured out their attack, and it led to a championship. But the Warriors quickly countered in the offseason. When they signed Kevin Durant last summer, I expected to see a heavy dose of pick-and-roll with Curry as the ball handler and Durant as the screener, but it’s been a rarity. Here are a handful of their possessions:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Quizzlefish posted:

Can anyone relink that cool blog that had some insights into the bucks defence and how big a deal execution is? I've looked back a bunch of pages but I cant seem to find it.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/do-the-bucks-stop-here/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

r/NYKnicks posted:

I SWEAR TO FUCKIG GOD WHY DO THESE loving THINGS HAPPEN. ITS loving LIKE THEY PUT ON THE SHOT SLIDERS ALL THE WAY UP AND WE FUCIINV HIT EVERY SHOT WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN. WE LOSE TO THE FUCKONG NETS AND EVERY FUCKINB TEAM BUT WE COME BACK FROM A FUCKINB 11 POINT 4TH QUARTER DEFICIT JN THE GAME THAT WE NEEDED TO loving LOSE. I FEEL PHYSICALLY ILL I CANT DEAL WITH THIS poo poo ANYMORE. THERE IS NOT A SHOT IN THE loving GALAXY THAT WE WIN THIS STUPID COIN FLIP. I'D PUT MORE MONEY ON ME JUMPING OUT OF MY loving SEAT TO THE loving MOON ON THE FIRST TRY. loving N'DOUR OF ALL PEOPLE I DIDNT KNOW THE MAN COULD loving SHOOT FROM MORE THAN TWO FEET OUT AND HE HITS A loving GAME WINNING OFF THE DRIBBLE MID RANGE loving J FOR THE WIN. LOOKING LIKE FUCKINB DREADED OUT PRIME MJ VS THE JAZZ IN 98' IM loving DONE

Knicks fans status: unhappy.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dokmo posted:

Chairchucker - $50

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Just before the all star break I challenged all comers to bet me whether Otto Porter, who was shooting 46% on threes at the time, would be able to shoot 40% or better after the all star break. We are now at the end of the season and Otto shot 30-88 after the break, 34%.

This was a 95% sure bet for me. He was never a great shooter in previous seasons, and in college was good but not great. In any given season, there are only 15 or so true 40% three point shooters in the league, and there was no reason to think Porter had gone from maybe-average shooter to elite shooter in a short period. I put two dollars against every dollar bet that his performance in the first half of the season was a fluke and the second half would reveal his actual shooting ability as a maybe-average shooter. Regression to the mean is an inescapable force of nature. Yall are witnesses now.

Winner of the bet gets to choose the charity that the bets go to. Because dogs are the best people and old dogs are the best dogs, I choose Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary. Thank you to the following donors:

Chairchucker - $50
Femur - $5
NickRoweFillea - $10
Doltos - $10
Paul Zuvella - $10

also

I thought it was that he'd shoot above 40% for the full season, not post-all star break. Regardless it's a great cause so:

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Thank you, sir. A Canadian joined my company and his biography says he likes basketball analytics. I thought I'd welcome him to the team with this.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Sixers lose to Knicks, Orlando wins, and TWolves lose.

So lottery order for the first seven spots is locked.

1. Boston
2. Phoenix
3. L.A.
4. Philly
5. Orlando
6. Knicks
6. Wolves

The Knicks might be the dumbest team in the league and I'm counting the Nets and Magic in that. There is no team in any sports franchise better at winning meaningless games to gently caress over their draft selection than the Knicks.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/852353456396480512
https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/852353888778952704

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Chicago going to have a 1-0 lead on Boston lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Chicago going to have a 1-0 lead on Boston lol

TNT bulls only applies to Bulls home games.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/852346118985986049 Whoever at CSN thought breaking these two up was a good idea can gently caress right off.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Pacers getting that ABC slot, Lavoy Allen is a draw.

If PG doesn't make an all-nba team after having the best year of his career and an amazing final 20 games, I will be very irate! Also Handsome Brad should win COY for getting that team to a 1 seed.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

TNT bulls only applies to Bulls home games.

Every game is a home game when you watch tnt

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Also, most importantly, every playoff game brings us closer to The Dunk King: Season 2

Everyone pick your horse now, but my boy Thaine has got this

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Also, most importantly, every playoff game brings us closer to The Dunk King: Season 2

How the hell do you weigh less than 140 and have the muscle mass to have a 48" vertical.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Celtics are going to win it all kill me now

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edit: lol apparently Harden missed Archibald's record by 1 point

edit2: Actually apparently espn may have it wrong and Harden broke Archibald's points+points created record? I dunno it was a good season

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 13, 2017

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Eltoasto posted:

jordan kilganon will be robbed again

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

How the hell do you weigh less than 140 and have the muscle mass to have a 48" vertical.

Rely on updrafts

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

G-Hawk posted:

Edit: lol apparently Harden missed Archibald's record by 1 point

James harden is charging a spirit bomb in this

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Lessail posted:

Celtics are going to win it all kill me now

yes yesssssssssssss :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Eltoasto posted:

Lol this guy dupuy cat is a bullshitter. 59" vert and "more than 1500+" dunk contests won lol. yeah me too dude.

• Locked thread