Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But nobody is asking anyone to renounce anything. They might just assume she is the same as their family, as the son didn't bother to tell them otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

to reiterate for the 50th time I don't think she played the situation right, I would never do what she did and would have gone with something more polite, but imo they made the first faux pas and it just feels like a play stupid games, win stupid prizes situation. They went for a religious powerplay and flubbed it.

asking someone to say grace isn't a faux pas unless you're overly sensitive about your religion and this is a trigger issue for you. it's a polite request made in good faith which is easily declined in a polite fashion. i deem thee a goony weirdo *bangs clown gavel*

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If you wanna be a dick about grace big not a total dick say something along the lines of

Parents; Want to say Grace?
Girlfriend: I thank the weather that grew this food, and the workers that picked the food, and the people that cooked the food, etc

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
imagine if your son's girlfriend who you've never met comes over, you offer her chicken, and she sneers about being a vegan. is it a faux pas to offer her meat the first time you're meeting her without knowing she's a vegan? should we be sensitive and respectful of all possibile dietary traditions?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

imagine if your son's girlfriend who you've never met comes over, you offer her chicken, and she sneers about being a vegan. is it a faux pas to offer her meat the first time you're meeting her without knowing she's a vegan?

maybe this could have been somehow avoided by the mysterious figure sticking his dick into her?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
"Let's give thanks for this food and the fact that we are all able to be together tonight."

There, done. It's pretty much just a toast.

My [31M] girlfriend [29F] has a locked room in her house, I don't know what is in it

quote:

My girlfriend Amy and I have been tougher for 5 years and we are planning on moving in together into her home when my lease is up in two months.

Our relationship is great, we have arguments but no often and we always resolve them like rational people.

Amy owns a house and she bought it about 10 years ago. The city we live in was depressed for a while (picture Detroit but not, where if you were so inclined you could buy a big house in a bad neighborhood for a song and dance and then fix it up and hope the neighborhood would come around, which is luckily what happened to her.) it's a big old Victorian house with 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Usually we hung out at my apartment since it was near her work and I don't have a car to get out to her place, but some weekends here and there I would spend the night. When my job went remove 5 months ago I started spending a lot more time at her place.

It wasn't until after a month I realized the one room upstairs has a latch with a padlock on it. I thought it was REALLY weird that it was a padlock and not just a door lock. I mentioned it to her and she just said "yeah, I really don't go in that room or use it" what? I mean, I get that it's a big home and she lived in it alone for a long time so she didn't need the space but to padlock it like that? I asked her what was in it and she shrugged and said "stuff" like it was no big deal. I asked if we could open it since maybe that would be a good space for my home office and she said no.

Now I'm really curious and it's actually sort of eating away at me. I don't care what is in the room, I just honestly don't get WHY it is padlocked shut. That's weird, right? Am I being unreasonable since I'm moving in? I understand the right to privacy and I wouldn't snoop, and couldn't if I wanted to, you couldn't even tell from the outside since its on the second floor. I've been sort of paying attention now if she goes in there or not and I don't think she ever does. I feel like since I'm moving in I have a right to know but do I? I don't want to "make" her open it but she's so nonchalant about it and changes the subject that my mind keeps running away with me about what could be in there.

I'm just wondering what other people think, what I should do and if I'm being unreasonable wanting to see/know what is in this padlocked room or if I don't have a right to. Our relationship is amazing and perfect except for this one really weird issue.

TL;DR moving in the girlfriend who has a padlocked shut room she never goes in and she won't open it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Considering the parents didn't make a deal out of it at all and it's just the boyfriend, I feel like this is prolly an important distinction.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

La Brea Carpet posted:

"Let's give thanks for this food and the fact that we are all able to be together tonight."

My [31M] girlfriend [29F] has a locked room in her house, I don't know what is in it

Finally, a pointless way to end your relationship that I empathize with.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

La Brea Carpet posted:

She has such sights to show him.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Dude should just ask his parents not to force their religion on his girlfriend. There problem solved.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I'd be cutting that padlock off so fast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

Dead parents' stuff probably.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah if it was a shorter relationship it might be a dungeon or something, but after 5 years it's gotta be a dead relative's things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Considering the parents didn't make a deal out of it at all and it's just the boyfriend, I feel like this is prolly an important distinction.

Respectful parents won't make a scene

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Respectful parents won't make a scene

Right and if they were respectful maybe the bf coulda give em a heads up that avoided awkwardly putting an atheist on the spot to endorse a religious practice?

Maybe the fault lies with the limp dick'ed dude afraid to tell his parents about the dynamics?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah if it was a shorter relationship it might be a dungeon or something, but after 5 years it's gotta be a dead relative's things.

Yeah, I know a couple that lost their five-year-old and they just shut the room off, they can't handle it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Some of the comments are treating it as if it's a real security issue. "It's some horror movie poo poo man, you gotta know or you don't move in!!" I'd, uhh, be more sly than that.

He did say:

quote:

If she's ever had a loved one die I've never heard about it. Her parents are both alive, and she's never mentioned an ex or child or anything like that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What you do is say, "Is that a loved one's things? Do you want to talk about it? :(" and then she'll either:

1. Confirm and probably be glad to finally tell you and get some emotional support
2. Deny and then clarify what it is (her collection of cat turds)
3. Be all Bluebeard about it and then you can run away

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

So, what's the scenario here, she thinks saying grace itself is innately harmful in a way that overrides any temporal concerns about being nice to people or impressing her boyfriend's parents, which pretty much sounds like she's still a believer and just styles herself some kind of kitchen-table Satan locked in an extremely petty war with God, which lol; or there was literally no harm in the asking or saying of grace, it was a social courtesy on the level of saying 'excuse me' when you brush past someone, and she just felt zero need to be even minimally civil to stupid god-botherers of any kind and you're defending her as equivalent to all other religions because... you think all religious practice is really just motivated by spiting nonbelievers? idgi, sounds super lovely

La Brea Carpet posted:

genderswap Bluebeard's an angle I haven't seen before

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
heheh i know your bluebeard obsession but i beat you old man

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ffff fine whatever just don't go in my basement

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
When I was nine, my family lived in a big farmhouse in the country. It had a full attic, basically an entire third floor not sectioned into rooms. And that attic was full of bees.

My parents told me not to open the door next to my room or I would die. We lived there two years and never got stung. Everything was fine as long as you did not open that fuckin door. If you told people they didn't want to come around, though.

Lady's got bees.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Right and if they were respectful maybe the bf coulda give em a heads up that avoided awkwardly putting an atheist on the spot to endorse a religious practice?

Maybe the fault lies with the limp dick'ed dude afraid to tell his parents about the dynamics?

Oh well I didn't consider the parents forced the gf to make a total rear end of herself.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's a really great opportunity to buy a lock pick practice set and padlock.

Then if it is a horror film scenario, he can relock it and leave her for not saying grace or something.
This way he won't be hunted down for seeing her portal to hell.

(He should buy a lock pick set).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd never be able to live with a mystery like that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

La Brea Carpet posted:

This is the kind of problem I wish kept me awake at night.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Oh well I didn't consider the parents forced the gf to make a total rear end of herself.

When I'm in religious situations I leave the room beforehand cause it's obvious when poo poo is gonna go down and that is goony as gently caress; I would never even consider what this person did cause holy poo poo

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not saying the GF was right, I'm saying everyone in this situation is wrong. They put her in a lovely situation, she reacted badly. It's everyone's fault.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As the door finally swings free you find that behind it, there is nothing but a bare brick wall. "It leads nowhere," shes says, suddenly behind you, "just like a relationship without trust"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not saying the GF was right, I'm saying everyone in this situation is wrong. They put her in a lovely situation, she reacted badly. It's everyone's fault.
this level of nuance is perhaps impossible with this thread. You either agree with her actions or you disagree, there's no "more than one party was wrong" to be found

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

As the door finally swings free you find that behind it, there is nothing but a bare brick wall. "It leads nowhere," shes says, suddenly behind you, "just like a relationship without trust"

Hey, we need more posts like this in TFF, get back there

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

who is more wrong? Wrongest even?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

If you make an illegal left turn in front of someone who has the chance to break, who is more at at fault for tbonin you?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I need to know the BMI's and posting history of everyone involved before I even begin to unravel this case

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Man maybe they were asking her to say grace ironically just to see how she responds, ever think of that??? I am an strong proud atheist man and sometimes I suggest people say grace, as a joke. My acting is top-notch, thus it is pretty rude if a new person responds in such a manner!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hey, we need more posts like this in TFF, get back there

I gotta back in posting season form after gorging at the Falcons Ringless Buffet.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Barudak posted:

I'm heartbroken

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

When I was nine, my family lived in a big farmhouse in the country. It had a full attic, basically an entire third floor not sectioned into rooms. And that attic was full of bees.

My parents told me not to open the door next to my room or I would die. We lived there two years and never got stung. Everything was fine as long as you did not open that fuckin door. If you told people they didn't want to come around, though.

Lady's got bees.

if the genders were swapped I'd guess "a bunch of dead prostitutes" but this works too

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm heartbroken

The first episode of Grace & Frankie is the only really good one, but it's drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Haifisch posted:

My (27m) girlfriend (26F) of 5 months has become "spiritual" after taking drugs and I'm staunchly atheist.

My nigga, have you tried Peruvian DMT?