Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Preparing myself for deadpool to mention something about the goonies in his presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

He even says, when he goes to see Laufey later on, that it was all supposed to be "a bit of fun" and to protect Asgard from his brother's reign for a bit longer. Everything after that was things just spinning out of control. That's why Loki is such a great tragic character. He was right, but ended up suffering for it. If there's a villain, it's Odin.

Right at the start when Loki and Thor are still kids Odin tells them that they were both born to be kings. And that was totally correct, although he wasn't being completely honest - Loki was born to be the Jotun king, not the Asgardian king. Loki never had a chance at the throne of Asgard but he was always brought up to believe he did, and he hung on to that belief right until the end because his grand plan was to get Thor out of the way, 'save' Odin from Laufey and bring peace by using the Bifrost to destroy Jotunheim once and for all, proving to Odin that he was Thor's equal. But in the end it only took two words from Odin ("No, Loki") to completely destroy that belief and for Loki to finally lose all hope.

But he really should have known already that he wasn't Thor's equal - in the fight to destroy the Bifrost Thor defeats Loki by laying Mjolnir on his chest and pinning him helpless to the ground. He was defeated by his unworthiness.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Brolin is a safe old grizzled vet choice and is a good actor and at 'this point is probably "gently caress it why not I get paid."

I'd prefer Lang. Even Steve Martin.

Ok. I just want Paul Giamatti.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Loki never had a chance at the throne of Asgard but he was always brought up to believe he did, and he hung on to that belief right until the end because his grand plan was to get Thor out of the way, 'save' Odin from Laufey and bring peace by using the Bifrost to destroy Jotunheim once and for all, proving to Odin that he was Thor's equal.

There was no grand plan. His plan was to sneak some jotun into Asgard to disrupt Thor's coronation. He even says to Thor during their final confrontation, "I never wanted to be king! I only wanted to be your equal!" The movie is Loki playing a prank to forestall Thor becoming king (not to stop him or take his place), everything going horribly wrong as a consequence, and Loki being driven mad by guilt and shame.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can I get Beta Ray Bill in this movie please?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Can Josh Brolin play the part of Cable exactly like Bigfoot Bjornsen? Thanks, I'll take answer off air.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Was really hoping we were gonna get a yoked Pierce Brosnan as Cable. Oh well. Josh Brolin is such a safe/boring pick.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dolph Lundgren is still here wtf why not him and Reynolds

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

There was no grand plan. His plan was to sneak some jotun into Asgard to disrupt Thor's coronation.

That was his original plan which was only meant to discredit Thor and make Odin doubt his suitability as a leader. Loki also sneakily convinced Thor to mount an attack on Jotunheim but sent a guard to warn Odin and things got out of hand when the guard didn't warn Odin in time. Loki comes up with a whole new plan when Thor gets banished and Odin admits that he's Laufey's son just before entering the Odinsleep but it comes undone because he didn't realise that Odin also had a plan in motion and had actually sent Thor to Earth to learn humility (sort of an Asgardian anti-Rumspringa) and actually earn the right to wield Mjolnir.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

I'd prefer Lang.

Lang would have been the boring, uninspired pick. To me, he's an older Sam Worthington -- brings absolutely nothing beyond his physique. He's unbelievably bad in both Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, and he might actually be the worst part of Avatar.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm never gonna complain about one of the Goonies playing Cable.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That was his original plan which was only meant to discredit Thor and make Odin doubt his suitability as a leader. Loki also sneakily convinced Thor to mount an attack on Jotunheim but sent a guard to warn Odin and things got out of hand when the guard didn't warn Odin in time. Loki comes up with a whole new plan when Thor gets banished and Odin admits that he's Laufey's son just before entering the Odinsleep but it comes undone because he didn't realise that Odin also had a plan in motion and had actually sent Thor to Earth to learn humility (sort of an Asgardian anti-Rumspringa) and actually earn the right to wield Mjolnir.

Disagree that Loki goaded Thor into attacking Jotunheim. Every step of the way he's either freaked out or reticent. And Hiddleston's acting in those scenes is 100% genuine. We see Loki when he's being devious, the movie clues us in with a hidden smirk or a dart of the eye, but those are absent. Loki's plan after Thor's exile was basically him doubling and then tripling down on Thor's exile because it has to be for the best, otherwise Loki hosed everything up.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 12, 2017

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I forgot that Brolin also played Jonah Hex

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pussy Quipped posted:

I forgot that Brolin also played Jonah Hex

You and everyone else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ok but how does this help Thor find a bride on Earth? Where would he go and what would he do? He only has Heimdall and Odin is wondering where his funds are going

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

Disagree that Loki goaded Thor into attacking Jotunheim.

He used reverse psychology to put the idea in Thor's head: "If they snuck in once whose to say they won't sneak in again with an army? Oh well, nothing you can do about it without disobeying Father!" He'd already manipulated Thor into having an argument with Odin which ended with Odin shouting "But you're not king!" but he wanted to push them a bit further so he hatched a new plan to convince Thor to try to get to Jotunheim and make Odin even angrier at him. Odin was supposed to catch him in the act of trying to leave but that bit went wrong.

Phylodox posted:

Every step of the way he's either freaked out or reticent. And Hiddleston's acting in those scenes is 100% genuine.

Was he being 100% genuine when he told Thor he thought he was right "about Laufey, about the Frost Giants, about everything"? He knew the Frost Giants couldn't sneak in again (not without his help!) but he still convinced Thor that they were an imminent threat, which is what goaded him into action.

And he is freaked out during all this but that's because he feels guilty about betraying his brother again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grendels Dad posted:

Everyone always does :(

I always get confused and wonder why people are talking about the dude that played Spike on Buffy.

James Marsters for Constantine!
Though I do wonder if that Dark League movie will ever be made.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

Dolph Lundgren is still here wtf why not him and Reynolds

Guess this is why. Dolph is in Aquaman. loving sweet.

https://twitter.com/creepypuppet/status/852309471321743360

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why the poo poo are yall talking about Thor? Isn't it like one of the worst movies ever made?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

Why the poo poo are yall talking about Thor? Isn't it like one of the worst movies ever made?

That's a little strong, it's not even the worst Marvel movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

UmOk posted:

If it were then talking about it would make a lot more sense

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thor is a great movie. Contender for my second favourite superhero film. Especially after re-watching it today. I love it, Dutch angles and all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a little strong, it's not even the worst Marvel movie.

Considering that the worst movies are Age of Ultron and Iron Man 2, that's a pretty deep pit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phylodox posted:

Thor is a great movie. Contender for my second favourite superhero film. Especially after re-watching it today. I love it, Dutch angles and all.

It is not bad and I never understood the bashing. What is your favorite Btw?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Spawn is objectively the best comic movie.

Until there is another film that has Clown Leguizamo there can be no other.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It is not bad and I never understood the bashing. What is your favorite Btw?

Guardians of the Galaxy, hands down.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Aquaman is going to be the definition of a "better than" version of a Thor movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

K. Waste posted:

Aquaman is going to be the definition of a "better than" version of a Thor movie.

Do you have a link to the trailer or script?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aquaman has a comparable leading man. If Hemsworth is a big, dopey Labrador then Momoa is a derpy, boisterous Rottweiler. Beyond that, I don't see how you can say anything.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Spawn is objectively the best comic movie.

I miss 90s comic book movies.

K. Waste posted:

Word.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Aquaman has a comparable leading man. If Hemsworth is a big, dopey Labrador then Momoa is a derpy, boisterous Rottweiler. Beyond that, I don't see how you can say anything.

I think there's certain other parallels: Arthur is royalty of a bizarre alien world full of people with super powers, I assume there is going to be royal intrigue with Ocean Master and whoever Dafoe is playing that will be passingly similar to the Loki stuff, he might up exiled from home and will definitely learn an important lesson. I think right now the 2 indicators that it has the potential to be better are that they might not do the whole exile thing* and that Wan will have better action, but you're right it's hard to say at this point.

*I have not seen Thor all the way through yet but I understand this part of the film was somewhat divisive

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Guy A. Person posted:

I think there's certain other parallels: Arthur is royalty of a bizarre alien world full of people with super powers, I assume there is going to be royal intrigue with Ocean Master and whoever Dafoe is playing that will be passingly similar to the Loki stuff, he might up exiled from home and will definitely learn an important lesson. I think right now the 2 indicators that it has the potential to be better are that they might not do the whole exile thing* and that Wan will have better action, but you're right it's hard to say at this point.

*I have not seen Thor all the way through yet but I understand this part of the film was somewhat divisive

There's also Lundgren's character that is either Mera's Fiance or his father, depending with which version of the character they go.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do you have a link to the trailer or script?

It's DC - it's automatic.

UmOk posted:

You're thinking of Gigli.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My problem with the Thor movies is that Thor is usually the least interesting person in any scene he's in, whereas he seems to have a lot more stage presence in the comics. I kinda wish they were all as campy as this next one is going to be. Not that they aren't campy already of course.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My irritation with Thor is that time travel doesn't exist so we can send back Braun Strowman to play Volstagg. I love Ray Stevenson but he is utterly wasted in that role.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There's also Lundgren's character that is either Mera's Fiance or his father, depending with which version of the character they go.

They'll compromise and have him be both.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now I'm sad we won't get a Thor/Aquaman buddy movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

My problem with the Thor movies is that Thor is usually the least interesting person in any scene he's in, whereas he seems to have a lot more stage presence in the comics. I kinda wish they were all as campy as this next one is going to be. Not that they aren't campy already of course.

I agree with this. It's the same problem I have with the Chris playing Cap America. They're both supposed to be larger than life characters but in the movies they're just...there. Hemsworth can't emote to save his life and Steve always looks so somber. You don't get the idea that one is a god and that the other has a voice that can command a god, to paraphrase a comic. To me they're charismatic black holes, they constantly rely on other more interesting characters to play off of. To be fair though, they do work very well when they do have someone to interact with.

Thor 1 and 2 are hands down the worst of marvels movies, along with IM2 (Not counting the Hulk movies, since I haven't seen them), if nothing else for criminally misusing great actors like Hopkins and Portman, and for being kinda boring in general. At least IM2 had RDJ's charisma to coast on, and that Hammerguy. Thor only had Hiddleston, and poor guy couldn't carry a movie on his own.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Everyone should watch Ang Lee's Hulk at least once in their lifetime

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My mother watched Thor when it was on TV and had a glowing review. She liked Hemsworth a lot, enjoyed the design of Asgard and found the action entertaining, but not stressful or overly violent. Was very impressed with Portman's acting and presence. It's a nice, safe, easy to follow movie with some fun jokes and cool design. Also, the costuming was about as important as the plot to her.

I think she's only seen that & Guardians, which she also enjoyed for similar reasons. These movies are very accessible for people who grew up on Jungle Book or Disney.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I really don't get the Hemsworth hate. I found him super charming in Thor. Like I said, he manages to play a vain, genocidal warmonger and a friendly, happy Labrador puppy simultaneously. It was a challenging role, because it required that balance. And anyone who says he doesn't emote is either remembering poorly or has some pretty ridiculous standards for "emotion".

Also, Portman was pretty game for this role, despite how harshly she seems to be judged for it, although it's not really a tremendously challenging or rewarding role. And Tony Hopkins is like Brando; he knocks it out of the park even when he's half-assing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McCloud posted:

I agree with this. It's the same problem I have with the Chris playing Cap America. They're both supposed to be larger than life characters but in the movies they're just...there. Hemsworth can't emote to save his life and Steve always looks so somber. You don't get the idea that one is a god and that the other has a voice that can command a god, to paraphrase a comic. To me they're charismatic black holes, they constantly rely on other more interesting characters to play off of. To be fair though, they do work very well when they do have someone to interact with.

Thor 1 and 2 are hands down the worst of marvels movies, along with IM2 (Not counting the Hulk movies, since I haven't seen them), if nothing else for criminally misusing great actors like Hopkins and Portman, and for being kinda boring in general. At least IM2 had RDJ's charisma to coast on, and that Hammerguy. Thor only had Hiddleston, and poor guy couldn't carry a movie on his own.

There were glimpses of Hopkins' greatness every now and then in Thor - the delivery of a line here and there - but yeah, everyone's performances were pretty muted. I guess they were scared the movie wouldn't be grounded enough or something.
There's a pretty fun scene early on in the film when the heroes storm Jotunheim but realise they're outmatched and are about to retreat but a random Frost Giant insults Thor so blondie just goes to town and kicks the living poo poo out of everyone in the room. He's having an absolute ball of a time and is bouncing around like a pinball while he gleefully murders Frost Giants but he's also completely oblivious to the fact that his teammates are getting beat to poo poo and are begging him for help while they run for their lives. But the scene just doesn't work - it was clearly meant to establish Thor's character and his relation to the other characters and his opinion about himself and his role in everything but the clonestamped CGI enemies never really feel like a threat to Thor and he even kills the giant frost beast with a single blow so all the pathos they were trying to build just flatlines. They'd established Thor's relationship to Sif and The Warriors Three through exposition ("My friends, have you forgotten all that we have done together? Fandral, Hogun, who led you into the most glorious battles?") so we don't really give a poo poo about them at this point.

• Locked thread