Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Volcott posted:

Hey Austhread, quick question. Is it considered politically incorrect to call that one thing Ayers Rock instead of Uluru?

Depends who you talk to. Doesn't bother me but would probably deeply bother others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Family First candidate Lucy Gichuhi to replace Bob Day. SA still poo poo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I haven't heard people call it that since Howard was in power.

Ever since that fuckhead demon got the kick everyone I know refers it by Uluru

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I can understand calling it Ayers Rock if you are a foreigner/tourist.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

I haven't heard people call it that since Howard was in power.

Ever since that fuckhead demon got the kick everyone I know refers it by Uluru

Yeah I call it Uluru, but I don't react as though it's strange when someone says Ayers Rock.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Yeah I call it Uluru, but I don't react as though it's strange when someone says Ayers Rock.

Neither does anyone else in this thread, stop looking for fights.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I find it strange because I went through primary and high school when JWH was around and all the teachers were flapping their gums about Uluru being the old fashioned name.

Then Rudd got in and everyone used Uluru again. It was weird but I always associated the name as culture wars bullplop

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Neither does anyone else in this thread, stop looking for fights.

I was wondering if people under 30 who aren't used to the old name or whatever might have thought differently. Stop being weird and projecting.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The next step is to determine if she was eligible due to it being unclear whether she ever renounced Kenyan citizenship

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

Hey Austhread, quick question. Is it considered politically incorrect to call that one thing Ayers Rock instead of Uluru?

Depends on who you talk to but I'd recommend just using Uluru since that is the official name.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

The next step is to determine if she was eligible due to it being unclear whether she ever renounced Kenyan citizenship

Didn't stop Eric Abetz from being elected.

Or Tony Abbott

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheMightyHandful posted:

Didn't stop Eric Abetz from being elected.

Or Tony Abbott

They're white

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

JBP posted:

They're white

Oh yeah. She's stuffed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Regardless of her political stripes I'm glad there'll be an African born woman in parliament.

It'd be even better if she were elected outright rather than getting in thanks to an old white man's corruption.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
How do you refer someone to the electoral comission for not being validly elected for being a citizen of a foreign nation?

Because honestly, why hasn't this been done?

EDIT: I get that it's dumb birther bullshit in a way, but it's also strictly against the constitution and if people get centrelink robo-debted to death why the gently caress do politicians not have to obey the loving law?

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 13, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Regardless of her political stripes I'm glad there'll be an African born woman in parliament.

It'd be even better if she were elected outright rather than getting in thanks to an old white man's corruption.

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/839732795706593281

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
IIRC Kenyans who take another citizenship are automatically deemed to have renounced their citizenship by the Kenyan government.

e: there is some ambiguity resulting from their most recent (2010) Constitution so a lot of it might depend on timing?

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 13, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
get her to run long distance if she's fast she's still kenyan I will take this down if it is considered Racial

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

get her to run long distance if she's fast she's still kenyan I will take this down if it is considered Racial

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Birdstrike posted:

Kenya is a Country not a Race. Idiot.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bogan King posted:

Kenya is a Country not a Race. Idiot.

He was referring to the marathon. Idiot.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Here's your choice: Bob Day (old white corrupt guy with lovely views) or Lucy Gichuhi (not Bob Day).

Clearly by being glad at not Bob Day I'm advocating for Manus and Nauru

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Here's your choice: Bob Day (old white corrupt guy with lovely views) or Lucy Gichuhi (not Bob Day).

Clearly by being glad at not Bob Day I'm advocating for Manus and Nauru

Electing a more diverse chorus of fundamentalist morons isn't meaningful progress.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Electing a more diverse chorus of fundamentalist morons isn't meaningful progress.
Don't entirely agree with this. At some point internal homogeneity and permissiveness undermines what xenophobic conservatives are trying to sell (ie) Australian's against further immigration.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nutters united are rather dangerous.

Diverse nutters that don't agree and argue are their own circus performance.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Solemn Sloth posted:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

I thought that Doing the Capitalisation would have been Enough. Guess Not.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
sorry. Im sorry i'm trying to remove it

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Birdstrike posted:

OTOH, good at sports is automatic qualification for Australian citizenship.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

:discourse:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

I was wondering if people under 30 who aren't used to the old name or whatever might have thought differently. Stop being weird and projecting.

I grew up with mostly Ayers Rock, but I haven't heard anyone call it that in over a decade.

DancingShade posted:

Nutters united are rather dangerous.

Diverse nutters that don't agree and argue are their own circus performance.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-11/who-is-lucy-gichuhi-from-kenya-to-possible-sa-senator/8433686

tl;dr:
"I was poor and needy and I didn't need government handouts so why do you? Why yes, I was from a third world country. Child labour is fine."
"She said her Christian faith was the backbone of her political beliefs." (that one is an actual quote from the article).

I don't want her anywhere near a position of breaking a deadlock on a Liberal budget, or anything related to a religious issue. I don't care if she's an African Australian woman.

EDIT: Would I like it more if it was Bob Day? No. Give the senate seat to someone else I find less bad. UNDERMINE DEMOCRACY FOR ME NOW.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 13, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Family first got votes for a seat, with that being the case it's better for it to come with more diversity than be held by another old white man.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Family first got votes for a seat, with that being the case it's better for it to come with more diversity than be held by another old white man.

I don't like her, but I didn't vote for her. I'm not going to cry in my sleep if it's determined she can't be the senator, but realistically how much damage can she really do?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Schlesische posted:

I don't like her, but I didn't vote for her. I'm not going to cry in my sleep if it's determined she can't be the senator, but realistically how much damage can she really do?

Hanson was just one racist ginger woman a few decades ago and she shifted the Overton Window on acceptable public racism a whole bunch. There are already a crowd of religious bigots though so it's not like she can really push that angle to open that niche.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So, what VPN should we all be getting? Everywhere says "shop around!" and neglects to actually say who works beyond "AUS VPN's are great! (and presumably motioned directly by ASIO?)" or "US VPN XYZ is great, only it slows your connection down to dial up and you have to manually try different servers every day but at least it's secure from ASIO (and not the NSA?)".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't go on the Cadbury Facebook page guys your brain will melt.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Comstar posted:

So, what VPN should we all be getting? Everywhere says "shop around!" and neglects to actually say who works beyond "AUS VPN's are great! (and presumably motioned directly by ASIO?)" or "US VPN XYZ is great, only it slows your connection down to dial up and you have to manually try different servers every day but at least it's secure from ASIO (and not the NSA?)".

I always just point people at the Torrent Freak review and let them pick one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Countless comments complaining it no longer says Easter on their eggs, on a post containing a picture of an Easter egg saying happy Easter on it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

A store owner in South Australia's remote APY Lands has been fined $167,500 for withdrawing almost $1 million from the accounts of local residents.

The Federal Court previously found the owner of Nobby's Mintabie General Store, Lindsay Gordon Kobelt, had withdrawn the money from the accounts of 85 customers between July 2010 and November 2012.

It was told Kobelt used an informal credit system known as 'book-up' that allows people to buy goods on the spot and pay later by providing their account information.

Nobby's also sold cars and customers had used the book-up arrangement for purchase of second-hand vehicles.

Kobelt had each customer's bank debit card and PIN details and used EFTPOS machines to access the accounts, withdrawing wages or Centrelink benefits about the time they went into the accounts.

Corporate regulator ASIC found Kobelt failed to keep good records of what customers owed him and made deductions well in excess of what people had spent.

The Federal Court found him guilty late last year of unconscionable and unlicensed conduct, finding Kobelt was indifferent and defiant to his obligations under the National Consumer Protection Act.

It heard he described a fact sheet ASIC provided about his obligations as "bullshit" after reading the first few lines.

In his judgment, Justice White said he would reduce the total penalty from $230,000 so it did not have a "crushing effect" on the store owner.

"It is particularly pertinent that he is a 73-year-old sole trader and will bear personally the burden of the court's penalties," he said.

"There is the prospect that the penalties outlined above will have a crushing effect, taking into account his financial situation."

ASIC deputy chairman Peter Kell said the penalty was a warning to those in the credit industry that exploitation of financially vulnerable consumers would have serious consequences.

"ASIC is continuing to work with book-up providers and Indigenous communities to ensure that all consumers are treated fairly," he said.

"Behaviour that is unscrupulous or illegal will not be tolerated."

Payment of the penalty will now depend on the outcome of an appeal Kobelt has lodged against the Federal Court's finding of misconduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Countless comments complaining it no longer says Easter on their eggs, on a post containing a picture of an Easter egg saying happy Easter on it.

Resulting in a post stating that (summarised) "We love Easter (it makes us so much money) we just don't brand all chocolate 'Easter Eggs' or 'Easter Bunnies' during Easter. My loving word, calm the gently caress down guys."

As a sidenote, does anyone know what happened to Easter Bilbies?
Are they still a thing, or did that get killed?

• Locked thread