Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lancemantis posted:

Being a sysadmin isn't a joke job and can be serious business; being a SRE or working in big money data center environments is work

good point . better have a physics degree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lancemantis posted:

Being a sysadmin isn't a joke job and can be serious business; being a SRE or working in big money data center environments is work

sure, that's why you look for applicable experience and demonstrable career growth in skill and responsibility

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

lancemantis posted:

SRE owns

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
got approached by two competing recruiters for the same position

let recruiter A know that B had the mandate

now watching the drama unfold

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
recruiter fight and the hobo fights of the corporate world lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I had this happen and the company told each one that the other didn't submit my info so they were both convinced they had it. didn't matter in the end because the company sucked

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

i always thought the solid EE fallback was doing contract layout work for $80/hr

that would actually own as a side gig, layout is soothing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i know tech job descriptions are garbage, but this is a new one on me

Technical Evangelist - Amazon Web Services

quote:

Responsibilities:
· Gaining industry recognition and credibility as a regular attendee, panelist and keynote speaker at AWS and third party technology conferences, trade shows and press events
· Developing and delivering compelling presentations, product demos, sample solutions, and discussions to help drive awareness and adoption of Amazon Web Services.
· Continuing to identify leads for potential partnerships and customer opportunities.
· Collaborating with internal teams to define the product road map, market positioning, community user groups and developer program initiatives.
· Creating and maintaining white papers, screencasts, demos and videos about AWS services along with emerging technologies and industry developments.
I mean I guess technically it's an accurate title, but "evangelist"? really? was "marketer" too banal a word for the vaulted tech company that's aiming to change the world or whatever

oh and you'd better have a BS CS for your talky job, apparently

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 13, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

marketing is bullshit but it has measurable goals at least, that job sounds hellish because the only thing they'll judge how good of a job you're doing is by how much you work

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
tbf that guy was completely right in every way, wish I could could find the article that was like "YEP he called it w/ social media" and i don't know if there's a more depressing case for loading the entire IT industry into a catapult and launching it off a cliff

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 13, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
http://www.shingy.com/

how many figgies do you think he's pullin down

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
just clicking that gives me hives, jesus

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
makes me wonder whether aol poached him from somewhere else or if he just walked into a board meeting and told them that they were hiring him after performing some slight of hand

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

http://www.shingy.com/

how many figgies do you think he's pullin down

fewer than he'd like you to believe

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

quote:

Next, Shingy stopped by the office of Erika Nardini, the chief marketing officer of AOL Advertising, and handed her an iPad Mini. “Wanted to show you a little brain fart I had on the plane,” he said. It was a cartoon he had drawn of a bear wearing zebra-print pants and a shirt covered in ones and zeros.

“Love it, love it, love it,” Nardini said. “I’m thinking of the bears more as a metaphor.”

“A thousand per cent,” Shingy said.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this entire article about shingy owns http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/17/crystal-ball-3

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

jesus christ

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you have to admire the brazen way he performs his disappearing up his own rear end trick, all the while doing it so genuinely without a hint of mockery. it's really something to be amazed at

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i appreciate his sincerity

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

I mean I guess technically it's an accurate title, but "evangelist"? really? was "marketer" too banal a word for the vaulted tech company that's aiming to change the world or whatever

they're trying to roll an FAE and a PM into one job I think?

anyone with "marketing" in their title doesn't touch hardware (or well, a dashboard in this case?)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One of the goofballs that got fired from our work went to work for security AV vendor Cylance as a "wizard". Still can't figure out what he does. He also lied about his education (he went to college but didn't earn the degree)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

they're trying to roll an FAE and a PM into one job I think?

anyone with "marketing" in their title doesn't touch hardware (or well, a dashboard in this case?)

the tech evangelist I've worked with speaks at conferences, contributes to open source repos, and generally works on getting people aware and interested about stuff. its somewhat similiar to a solutions architect in that you are developing for the service as opposed to building the service.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
At some conference recently i met a guy who worked in the office next to shingy, and I was like "oh my god what was that like"? and he just said "shingy spent the entire day on video calls with his wife and playing music really loudly."

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bhodi posted:

it's a talky job where you also do quite a bit of software development. it turns out people who write software are much better at talking about software when you're trying to sell software to other people who write software.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
also "evangelist" has been a title for decades, it's not some new thing. oracle fired all the java evangelists 2 years ago, was a big story back then

Bloody posted:

that would actually own as a side gig, layout is soothing
im still steamed about the poo poo layout of a board at my last startup, grounding for a 32k crystal was a wire under the crystal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

solutions architect

lol forever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
p sure guy kawasaki back in 1984 was the first guy with a computer evangelist title

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

also "evangelist" has been a title for decades, it's not some new thing. oracle fired all the java evangelists 2 years ago, was a big story back then

im still steamed about the poo poo layout of a board at my last startup, grounding for a 32k crystal was a wire under the crystal

zoinks! you didnt just do the layout yourself?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
not an EE, just play one on the forums

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the layout contractor we use is usually pretty good, but there are a couple spots where it's like "You understand this is supposed to be a ground plane and not an antenna, right?"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i cannot imagine contracting out layout like it just feels like a good way to get bad boards

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
most places are paying EE's significantly more than $80/hr and would rather farm out the grunt work and have them spend an hour checking while doing more schematic work tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well when i wanna go part time/early retirement and im bored i know what im gonna do!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
one layout guy i worked with definitely had a day job and was definitely doing our stuff on the weekends

the best EE i know fills his spare time reading physics papers, still kinda scared at what'll come out of that guy's garage

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well next time you need a layout hmu :sun:

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!

"Everyone is talking about SoLoMo—social, local, mobile—but they should be talking about HoMo"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think architect kind of works because they're the people who come up with elaborate diagrams of systems that probably won't work as delivered but it's not their problem anymore in both fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

not an EE, just play one on the forums

This is why I got my ex-boss/mentor to do the board layout for my new company.
He has 30 years of experience, he likes money, he's a great friend, and he's a savant when it comes to power.
Our new board going full blast eats less than 400mA of power. The LED's attached to it eat more than that.

For 100 grand we got:
Alpha boards
Beta boards
Gerber files
3D files
Bed of nails

Total parts on the board: just over 1,200.
Total mishaps from Alpha: 4.
Total changes between Alpha and Beta: 8 (we added a few things).
Need for Gamma boards? No.

Nepotism reigns supreme again!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread