Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello, I have made a discovery about Persona 5: as it turns out, Makoto is both cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'm halfway through the Emperor link and the way MC did the Christ pose made me laugh so hard I had to put the controller down, holy poo poo. Just his confusion and the "ehhhh"-ness of it.

edit: I love how Yusuke is basically Rohan Kishibe but less mean. Sort of.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 13, 2017

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

BaDandy posted:

I'm halfway through the Emperor link and the way MC did the Christ pose made me laugh so hard I had to put the controller down, holy poo poo. Just his confusion and the "ehhhh"-ness of it.

It's the funniest slink scene in the game, imo. I'm surprised I don't see more mention of it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ceramics posted:

It's the funniest slink scene in the game, imo. I'm surprised I don't see more mention of it.

The Dynamic Pose is even better. What a couple of idiots, I love them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of scenes have small incidental animations between characters (usually Morgana) that I really liked to see. This game is truly a refinement, growth and expansion of everything that these Persona games have attempted before. To think that Persona 3 was this muddy-looking PS2 game with stiff character models and assets recycled from even older PS2 titles and to see Persona 5, with so much polish and pizzazz in every single scene, it's drat near inspiring.

It isn't to say that this game makes its predecessors redundant; I don't think that'll be the case. Persona 4 is a damned, damned fine game and it's aged great, better I think than P3 has at that. But even Persona 3 still functions pretty drat well on a mechanical level and I think the story is still well-told enough to remain impactful even if the game seems dated in comparison to its successors.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just got in here so maybe it'll grate on me after a while but gently caress all y'all, I like the music in palace 5.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
50 hours in and I just learned that every Persona has a specific mood that tells you how you're supposed to answer their questions during Negotiation. I was just winging it before and still managed to capture them a good 60% of the time. :shobon:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I love how during the entirety of the series, Featherman will always be there in the end. :')

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BaDandy posted:

edit: I love how Yusuke is basically Rohan Kishibe but less mean. Sort of.

Does that pose even get used anywhere else in the game? It would be amazing if they did the animation for those two protagonist poses and one Yusuke pose and it's just for that single rank.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just got to Yusuke getting his persona and everything about this is REALLY FUCKEN COOL

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Eddain posted:

50 hours in and I just learned that every Persona has a specific mood that tells you how you're supposed to answer their questions during Negotiation. I was just winging it before and still managed to capture them a good 60% of the time. :shobon:

I usually go by the symbolism behind each arcana. I probably hit 3/4 that way. Some are obvious (Justice, anything involving balance) while others are less so (gently caress off Magicians)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Capsaicin posted:

I just got to Yusuke getting his persona and everything about this is REALLY FUCKEN COOL

Yusuke is the best and I'm glad you agree friend. :hfive:

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

See, Makoto is the most plot relevant romanceable girl, and also has great Frei skills and status heal skills to boot. I always keep her in my party. The game has a fair share of party members who aren't nearly as good as Makoto though. Take Ryuji for example, who looks like Bart Simpson, is loud and generally freaks me out.

The last interaction I had with Ryuji was taking him to the confessional a month ago and I've dodged every message of his since. Truly, the best parts of this game were the parts I wrote myself.

impure flutter fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 13, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eddain posted:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Farg posted:

sojiro: p-please d-don't date my daughter

joker: heh, nothin personal kid

Does he seriously ask you not to?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mona I am going to leave you on cinderblocks in the bad part of Shinjuku I swear to the several gods in my brain right now.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Does he seriously ask you not to?

He says he doesn't want you hooking up with her and calling him father, but then considers that might not be so bad.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Gruckles posted:

He says he doesn't want you hooking up with her and calling him father, but then considers that might not be so bad.

Sojiro is a stand up guy, easily my favorite character in this game so far now that I'm starting Palace 6. His voice actor gives a drat good performance too.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Night Blade posted:

Sojiro is a stand up guy, easily my favorite character in this game so far now that I'm starting Palace 6. His voice actor gives a drat good performance too.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was the same guy who voiced Nier in Nier 1

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Missed opportunity not labeling Morgana as a grimalkin imo.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

tradechop posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was the same guy who voiced Nier in Nier 1

I didn't know that! He really is the best dad. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Weird thing I just realized but (Endgame spoilers, kinda) Goro's portrait in his all out attack doesn't have a mask on. I wonder if it's supposed to be ~~symbolic~~ or if they just couldn't make the pointy beak thing look good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sojiro really is awesome.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sojiro is a better anime dad than Dojima by a huge margin. It's difficult for some to accept but drat it's true

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Weird thing I just realized but (Endgame spoilers, kinda) Goro's portrait in his all out attack doesn't have a mask on. I wonder if it's supposed to be ~~symbolic~~ or if they just couldn't make the pointy beak thing look good.

Nah it's not. Makoto and Yusuke don't have their masks on for their all-out cut-ins either.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just finished this game, 115 hours. Only didn't max Sojiro, Chihaya and Haru.

Incredible from start to finish. I loved everything about this game except for Morgana constantly dragging you to bed. I am really looking forward to a new game+ playthrough eventually, maybe a month or 2 from now. Final party I typically ran with was Ryuji, Yusuke, and Makoto, mostly just to get all 3 buffs up at the same time while letting Joker charge in round 1. Yoshitsune is a straight up busted persona.

Finally something has replaced P4 as my favorite game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So have people been regularly grinding in this game as I just checked the average level and it seems as though I am 3 levels below average.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, as the game goes on Ryuji just keeps sliding down in my opinion, while the rest continue to mostly be great. Just before the school trip now, and again really wishing for that duct tape. Apparently he somewhat redeems himself at some point in the future though?

Also, even for a moment thinking it's a difficult choice whether to visit LA or Hawaii? Really? Let alone his... difficulties regarding geography as to where they are. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So when's the Goro Boys gangtag

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hunt11 posted:

So have people been regularly grinding in this game as I just checked the average level and it seems as though I am 3 levels below average.

I ground for money at a couple points.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Real good true details:

In Untouchables' back office there are multiple display cases of gourmet lollipops, one of which is completely empty. This means that Iwai doesn't keep a toothpick in his mouth, but that's he's constantly eating lollipops and keeping the stick.

best dad

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

I'm gonna visit maid cafes and bathhouses every day and night until I'm charming enough to nab a girlfriend, just like in real life.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

tradechop posted:

I'm gonna visit maid cafes and bathhouses every day and night until I'm charming enough to nab a girlfriend, just like in real life.

If eating big burgers made you gutsy in real life, I think we can all agree, goons would be one of the gutsiest groups on the planet

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

If eating big burgers made you gutsy in real life, I think we can all agree, goons would be one of the gutsiest groups on the planet

i think goons already know about having huge guts

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Gorp posted:

So it's agreed.
Everyone hates palace 5.

as someone that just finished it, I guess I'll be the odd man out, I quite liked palace 5.

It was the first palace where the puzzles actually required you to think a little instead of just turning on detective vision and touching all the things or remembering a short series of numbers, and it was consistently tough yet fair with it's enemies without just resorting to stupid poo poo like archangels you have no good way to deal with or anubis who can only really be fought without tearing your hair out on hard by cheesing them with isis + despair.

The boss was cool, the reveals with okumura at the end have made him my second favorite antagonist so far (after obvious first place kamoshida) and haru is cool and good. The fact that it's not the lovely boring pyramid where you don't get a party member till the end, the boss is scripted as gently caress and is the most blatant about just reusing the same gimmick over and over of any palace also does it a lot of favors.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Baal posted:

Goro is never mentioned again, not even the sentiment of his existence appears for the Confidant based stuff. Even Shinjiro got like a lost "You go buddy" in for P3, idk what happened with Goro that he just vanishes from pure existence.

Not directly but

There's a news report later that talks about a body that has lacerations and has indications it was dumped from elsewhere. I took that to be referring to Goro, as you do not hear the beginning or the end.

TBH I'd rather he stay dead. Dude's still a psychotic murderer at the end of the day, a redemption plot would feel gross as hell. The fact that the redemption didn't work was my favorite part of that scene.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How long is the final dungeon?

I'm just at the first saferoom at the passageway and I don't mind it but kinda curious if it's gonna be a couple hours or if it's relatively short.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How long is the final dungeon?

I'm just at the first saferoom at the passageway and I don't mind it but kinda curious if it's gonna be a couple hours or if it's relatively short.

It's not the longest in the game - it's probably the overall shortest, but you'll want some time to get through it and the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Big burgs got me through a lot in life