Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Have you gone through the Gerudo area? Yiga show up randomly as travelers before then. After you do some story stuff, then Yiga appear out of nowhere to attack you.

No Gerudo stuff yet. I activated its tower did that one shrine quest with the Gorons in the desert but that's the extent of my exploration in the desert.

Also I do tend to ignore travelers. So that's probably why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah. You might want to save the camel for last if you don't want to be spammed by ninjas every five steps. It's not even after beating the camel, but rather in a quest that is a lead up to boarding it. Conversely, do the camel anyway because the power you get from it is really OP. It's your game. :shrug:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Drewjitsu posted:

"Nintendo’s official statement is the same as the last patch: “Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.” "

EDIT: Reddit sez that this patch is to fix the infinite arrow farming from mounted archers.

Arrow farming still works on the Wii U version, though I got scared of this fix so I spent 1 tv episode to fully max out my arrow collection.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAx5aWxvw8M

Guys

GUYS

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Somewhere a Nintendo intern furiously jots down notes in a yellow legal pad, not suspecting that by this time next year he'll be directing his own game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It's pretty amazing the variety of things you can do with this game's toolset.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mega64 posted:

It's pretty amazing the variety of things you can do with this game's toolset.

It really is. In a lot of games you'll see something and go "hmm wonder if I can do that??" and try it and nope, kind of trains you to be boring with games and give up trying new things. In this loving game it works and works a lot better than you expect. It's amazing how many times i'm like "no loving way that worked holy poo poo"

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Someone link the video where he flying so fast the world can't load in time. I can't find it :[

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Didn't they patch sailing with chests?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

It really is. In a lot of games you'll see something and go "hmm wonder if I can do that??" and try it and nope, kind of trains you to be boring with games and give up trying new things. In this loving game it works and works a lot better than you expect. It's amazing how many times i'm like "no loving way that worked holy poo poo"

That's pretty much the magic of the game: having a physics engine, and attention to detail, that feels real. Rarely do other games have happy accidents but BotW was seemingly built on them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
BotW doesn't have physics, it has Physics+!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Bombs in minecarts??? :psyboom:

Since I finished the game I can finally watch some speedruns. Watching a guy on twitch... holy poo poo the shield surf double jump would have trivialized a lot of shrines.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

katkillad2 posted:

Bombs in minecarts??? :psyboom:

Since I finished the game I can finally watch some speedruns. Watching a guy on twitch... holy poo poo the shield surf double jump would have trivialized a lot of shrines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4E2DZMlvHU

edit: wow this is new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jlC_V1e_Tg

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

thatguy posted:

Didn't they patch sailing with chests?

Yeah, those no fun havers :colbert:

Physics bugs really shouldn't be patched unless they cause crashes or serious slowdown in normal play, although I can see the infinite arrow glitch being patched.

Unrelated note, but kind of surprised the game doesn't have a sub-40 speedrun yet. Normally I don't care about speedruns at all or the people who do them but I sort of want to see this game get broken really hard and beaten really fast.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 13, 2017

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Beat the game on WiiU a couple weeks ago (didn't do all shrines, but got a green hat from a Windwaker amiibo and dyed the Hylian tunic green for Hyrule Castle so it felt like a real Zelda finale), and now I am quite aware that at some point I will probably buy a Switch and replay the whole drat thing all over again. I don't even want to know how many hours I spent on this, but it kept me up past 2am on multiple occasions.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If sailing with chests is wrong, I don't want to be right. :colbert:

So this is basically GOAT for me, mostly because it's so much fun just to mess with enemies. I've never had so much fun just screwing around with monsters before, and I'm pretty sure my latest trick has finally taken me over the line from "plucky adventure hero" to "malevolent chaos deity." (Combat spoilers)

~RECIPE FOR A GOOD TIME~
What you need:
  • One Blizzard Rod.
  • Full Rito Armor with at least two upgrades for Unfreezable bonus.
  • Pretty much any group of weapon-wielding enemies.
  • An empty weapon slot.
  • OPTIONAL: Thunder weapons or shock arrows
What to do:
  • Pick an enemy, preferably an aggressive one. The Silver guys work great for this.
  • Steal the enemy's weapon, either by sneaking up and taking it before they pick it up, or using thunder weapons/shock arrows to knock it out of their hand.
  • Drop the Blizzard Rod.
  • Watch in disbelieving delight as the enemy grabs it and starts swinging it around like a complete moron, freezing absolutely everyone on the battlefield except for you.
  • Kill all the frozen enemies however you like, then use their weapons to kill your Blizzard Buddy, who will be almost no threat to you at all.
  • Retrieve your 100% intact, unharmed Blizzard Rod for another round of tricking your enemies into committing tactical suicide.
Thought of it at work, came home, tried it, and was shocked to find that not only did it work, but it worked well. :botw: in a nutshell.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I have way too much to play, but I kind of want to play Twilight Princess HD now since I just noticed that came out last year and it's been one I never beat. Would love to replay OOT and MM since it's been almost 20 years as well. Although obviously probably going to wait awhile after just coming off how loving good BoTW is that I'd be too spoiled, and some other stuff to play first.

I bounced off hard from Twilight Princess when I played it on the Wii and I really don't even know why-- like somewhere 1/3rd into the game I just stopped and never had any interest in playing it again. Is it actually worth playing with the HD stuff (no garbage motion, hero mode, whatever)?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ice Fist posted:

:same:

When I finally had the entire map explored I mas missing this and the seal racing. Both of these bugged me because I had on several occasions been exploring and walked right by them without noticing.

I spent like 90 minutes checking places on the map I didn't think I had properly explored for the two missing shrines before I caved and looked them up.

are you me because this is literally what happened to me at 118

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

the truth posted:

Beat the game on WiiU a couple weeks ago (didn't do all shrines, but got a green hat from a Windwaker amiibo and dyed the Hylian tunic green for Hyrule Castle so it felt like a real Zelda finale), and now I am quite aware that at some point I will probably buy a Switch and replay the whole drat thing all over again. I don't even want to know how many hours I spent on this, but it kept me up past 2am on multiple occasions.

I did exactly that for the first couple weeks after launch while waiting for a stock alert to go off for the Switch. By the time I got my hands on a Switch I had beaten the game on Wii U with around 80 shrines and 200 Koroks. I'm now even farther along on the Switch version and I think I'm enjoying it even more the second time around. It's amazing how much you miss the first time through and how very differently the game plays out when you take different routes. The total freedom you are afforded via climbing and gliding means that linear routes through the game world just don't exist, and you get a totally different experience exploring areas just by going from different directions. It's truly a masterpiece of open world game design.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Unrelated note, but kind of surprised the game doesn't have a sub-40 speedrun yet. Normally I don't care about speedruns at all or the people who do them but I sort of want to see this game get broken really hard and beaten really fast.

tbh I'm almost sad that the game doesn't require, like, 10 non-plateau shrines to complete, since so much of the current "race to ganon" speedruns are tied up on the plateau and the same 4 shrines

it'll be interesting to see what happens when people start doing "full main completion" runs though, the divine beasts are probably going to be broken hilariously :getin:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm hearing rumors that the warping zone around the plateau before you get the glider is only so big. You could potentially complete two of the shrines and then find a way to launch yourself off the plateau on a rock or something and then land far enough out that you can run straight to Ganon.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm hearing rumors that the warping zone around the plateau before you get the glider is only so big. You could potentially complete two of the shrines and then find a way to launch yourself off the plateau on a rock or something and then land far enough out that you can run straight to Ganon.

You can't, beyond the instant fall haze is a second layer of protection. The plateau is enclosed in a box as long as you don't have the glider in your inventory, if you go outside this box, no matter what your coordinates are, you will fall and be teleported back to the plataeu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvnKghPudyU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I was re-reading some of the earlier posts in the thread, I hope this guy found his bliss :)

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So what's the over/under on this being possible in Breath of the Wild

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Really? I heard the opposite, that even getting to the other side of the map will void you the instant you touch ground.

e: eh beaten :nallears:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

El Burbo posted:

You can't, beyond the instant fall haze is a second layer of protection. The plateau is enclosed in a box as long as you don't have the glider in your inventory, if you go outside this box, no matter what your coordinates are, you will fall and be teleported back to the plataeu

That's really lame. I'm surprised that they went through all that trouble from stopping the 20 people that would actually be able to pull off doing such a stunt from doing it. I hate when bugs are patched that can never interfere with normal gameplay.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Xaris posted:

I have way too much to play, but I kind of want to play Twilight Princess HD now since I just noticed that came out last year and it's been one I never beat. Would love to replay OOT and MM since it's been almost 20 years as well. Although obviously probably going to wait awhile after just coming off how loving good BoTW is that I'd be too spoiled, and some other stuff to play first.

I bounced off hard from Twilight Princess when I played it on the Wii and I really don't even know why-- like somewhere 1/3rd into the game I just stopped and never had any interest in playing it again. Is it actually worth playing with the HD stuff (no garbage motion, hero mode, whatever)?

Twilight Princess is a godawful slog for the first half in any version, which is probably why you stopped playing. After the Water Temple it actually gets good and fun and has some terrific dungeons and items, as well as some fun swordfighting tricks to unlock, but it's getting to that point that's the difficult bit.

The HD version trims down some of the worst bits, and I'd say yeah, it's worth playing for Snowpeak and Arbiter's Grounds and sniping your way through Kakariko, but it's going to take some work to get that far, particularly coming from the freedom BotW gives you.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's really lame. I'm surprised that they went through all that trouble from stopping the 20 people that would actually be able to pull off doing such a stunt from doing it. I hate when bugs are patched that can never interfere with normal gameplay.

All things considered, my bet is that it's in place because of someone falling through the world somewhere, getting voided out the the overworld without the parasail, and then voiding back into the overworld every time they tried to climb back up

there's no way a tutorial lock-in that comprehensive was implemented without some playtester ending up accidentally getting into a "you're absolutely hosed and if you don't an autosave far enough back you have to reset your save entirely" situation

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Am i the only one who mentally thinks of botw as bottuu (bottle)

CallingYouARadical
Aug 6, 2008
Having finally read through the entire thread, I've concluded that no one else decided to interrupt waiting for a blood moon to activate the shrine with running and grabbing a few slot upgrades.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it'll be interesting to see what happens when people start doing "full main completion" runs though, the divine beasts are probably going to be broken hilariously :getin:

There are probably as many runners doing all dungeons as there are any% at this point. A smaller # doing all main quests also, but they are doing it.
Right now one of the beasts is done mapless

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can't believe this, I saved a traveller from some bokoblins and they turned out to be Yiga.

hosed up.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Uh, the game's main story is already is a ~40 hour game* that's broken down to about 1/10th of it's time. I don't think 41 minutes versus 39 minutes makes any difference here in comparison for "beaten really fast".

In any case, the current Wii U WR says sub 40 is definitely possible with a little tighter execution and good luck with Amiibo. Barring new route changes (which totally might happen, the game is brand new), this kinda looks like the edge of how fast the run will be tbh.

*Time taken from HLTB, which is obviously a kind of difficult thing to measure in this kind of game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

El Burbo posted:

This is a bummer. Getting to the castle to trigger ganon wouldn't even matter since the paraglider isn't in your inventory, and it's doubtful there will be a way to glitch it into your inventory anytime soon.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Is it even possible to play this game for 30 minutes? I'm not talking about a speed run, I'm talking "oh I'll just play for 30 minutes before bed" then suddenly it's 3 hours later and all you managed to do was get some korok seeds and maybe made some elixirs.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I probably took longer than most to beat this, but now that I have, I'm wondering if I should bother with replaying it, or should I just hold off on the DLC. "Summer" is just so vague.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Eriic posted:

I did exactly that for the first couple weeks after launch while waiting for a stock alert to go off for the Switch. By the time I got my hands on a Switch I had beaten the game on Wii U with around 80 shrines and 200 Koroks. I'm now even farther along on the Switch version and I think I'm enjoying it even more the second time around. It's amazing how much you miss the first time through and how very differently the game plays out when you take different routes. The total freedom you are afforded via climbing and gliding means that linear routes through the game world just don't exist, and you get a totally different experience exploring areas just by going from different directions. It's truly a masterpiece of open world game design.

Yeah, if/when I replay this I will probably spend some more time with the combat. I ran away from virtually every Guardian, Talus, Hinox, and Lynel, and didn't work on the timing for dodges and parties until the final boss. I also saw virtually no Yiga people.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Reinanigans posted:

I probably took longer than most to beat this, but now that I have, I'm wondering if I should bother with replaying it, or should I just hold off on the DLC. "Summer" is just so vague.

I believe they recently specified that the summer DLC will be released in August and the winter DLC will be released in December.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm kinda surprised nobody else has tried the whole "giving your enemies weapons they don't know how to use and that you are immune to" thing. It's absurdly fun, and not just with Blizzard Rods either. This morning I gave a Bokoblin a Meteor Rod in the middle of a forest and watched in delight and amazement as he immolated the forest, his friends, and ultimately, himself, at no cost to me. Then I gave Meteor Rods to a couple of Silver Bokoblins and basically turned one of those giant skull things into a Bokoblin Thunder Dome. There's nothing friendly about Friendly Fire. Nothing at all. :allears:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Spergatory posted:

I'm kinda surprised nobody else has tried the whole "giving your enemies weapons they don't know how to use and that you are immune to" thing. It's absurdly fun, and not just with Blizzard Rods either. This morning I gave a Bokoblin a Meteor Rod in the middle of a forest and watched in delight and amazement as he immolated the forest, his friends, and ultimately, himself, at no cost to me. Then I gave Meteor Rods to a couple of Silver Bokoblins and basically turned one of those giant skull things into a Bokoblin Thunder Dome. There's nothing friendly about Friendly Fire. Nothing at all. :allears:

Do you do that just by taking their weapons and dropping one of yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Where are the shrines located exactly? Like in relation to the map are they all really "underground" or when you get into the elevator are you teleported off somewhere to a group of them? I know people have already broken out of shrines so maybe if you could break into another shrine and take the elevator up you could basically teleport to an entirely different part of the map.