Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

butcher should be in the word mines for my entertainment god dangit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Let's hope he doesn't pull a GRR Martin on us.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Benedict Jacka is doing an AMA over at /r/fantasy.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I know a lot of people here like Schaefer/Faust, so I figured I'd share this. He just posted on Twitter that he got a legal/rights situation sorted for a short story in the Faust universe he wrote last year, and so he posted it for free on his site.

"A Drive in the Country"
http://craigschaeferbooks.com/drive/

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

OmniBeer posted:

I know a lot of people here like Schaefer/Faust, so I figured I'd share this. He just posted on Twitter that he got a legal/rights situation sorted for a short story in the Faust universe he wrote last year, and so he posted it for free on his site.

"A Drive in the Country"
http://craigschaeferbooks.com/drive/

Huh, well that was a twist.

Schaefer must write on vacation or something. The guy is crazy productive.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Mars4523 posted:

Huh, well that was a twist.

Schaefer must write on vacation or something. The guy is crazy productive.

After two months without a day off, he posted that he rewarded himself with a two day vacation. Which for normal people is called 'a weekend'. He went to NYC and spent half of it meeting with his publisher and doing location research for another book. He calls airplanes 'sky office'. I'm pretty sure the dude's not healthy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think he just lucked into his dream job and is focusing 100% on it. I know that's what all writers say and to a large extent it's true, but look at someone like Butcher: he loves the writing, but as his popularity has increased, more and more (what he feels are) obligations take him away from the writing and both his output and enjoyment have very noticeably suffered for it.

Going forward, it'll be interesting if Schaefer gets involved in signing tours (since he does have a traditional publisher) and/or the con circuit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Late to the party, but, I finally read The Rook.
I was not disappointed. Now I just need to pick up Stilletto.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

the_steve posted:

I was not disappointed. Now I just need to pick up Stilletto.
Oh, buddy will you :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have recently discovered that the correct name for urban fantasy stuff set in sort of late 19th / early 20th century times is apparently "gaslight fantasy".

Surely electrical arc lights and then incandescent bulbs had replaced gaslights in most large cities in western countries as street lighting by 1900 or so? :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Urban fantasy is fantasy set in cities like space opera is about astronaut arias. Gaslight fantasy is gaslight fantasy, urban fantasy is urban fantasy. You can also have an urban gaslight fantasy, I suppose.

I find that genre names are basically catchall tags for "you'll like this if you liked X", the X in the case of UF being Dresden Files and/or Mercy Thompson.

If I had to, gun against head, define the genre in terms of, like, actual tropes or characteristics, I'd say that the UF that I like, or the UF that I think works best is basically anti-horror. The threats are the same as in a horror story, but instead of a helpless normie desperately trying to survive them, you get a competent professional for whom this poo poo is basically problems to solve for a living, in a serial, procedural fashion.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 18, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Finished Alex Verus just in time for the newest Charming book to come out, yay!

That ending had me laughing for quite a while. Bit of a slow burn book, but it wrapped up a lot of the loose ends and gave the world a good "reset" that reminded me a bit of Ghost Story, which it definitely needed after how crazy the previous book got towards the end. I could not be MORE hype for the next one, the setup is incredibly interesting.

"I think you broke Alex." :D

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Angry Lobster posted:

Let's hope he doesn't pull a GRR Martin on us.

Nah, unless he cut all that weight by drunkenly jogging the scenic back-roads of Maine, Jim's life expectancy's actually been going up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have recently discovered that the correct name for urban fantasy stuff set in sort of late 19th / early 20th century times is apparently "gaslight fantasy".

Surely electrical arc lights and then incandescent bulbs had replaced gaslights in most large cities in western countries as street lighting by 1900 or so? :shrug:

I believe your terminology is wrong. Gaslight Fantasy is actually the correct term for the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Romance genre.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just going by what Wikipedia tells me. :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I've been told I make lovely jokes. They get a giggle out of me, at least.

I remember a discussion about this a long time ago here, but 99% of the authors writing in the gaslight-x genre really only care about the fancy victorian dress code.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 22, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry. :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Nah, unless he cut all that weight by drunkenly jogging the scenic back-roads of Maine, Jim's life expectancy's actually been going up.

George RR Martin is still alive. He's just not epically slow at writing, which is why the show has passed the books.

You're thinking of Robert Jordan, who died before finishing the Wheel of Time series.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
GRRM has already died before finishing writing Game of Thrones. It just hasn't happened yet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

M_Gargantua posted:

GRRM has already died before finishing writing Game of Thrones. It just hasn't happened yet.

Ha, fair point.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

http://www.voxmagazine.com/arts/boo...ecb5bb4e0e.html

The relevant part:

quote:

The progress on his next book has been slow because he doesn’t have a reliable workspace, but he should have it done by fall and ready to come out in winter or early next spring.

So 2018 for Peace Talks.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Yay. It sure beats "unknown."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

quote:

quote:

Piss. I just finished the latest Rivers of London book, too. Running out of UF worth reading.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You can always read the urban fantasy not worth reading. Iron Druid, anyone?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
The Nathan Temple series that keeps showing up on my Facebook feed wasn't bad. Kind of like Dresden, except rich and an rear end in a top hat.

First book is called Obsidian Son.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

OneTwentySix posted:

Don't wish that evil on people, even as a joke.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

immoral_ posted:

The Nathan Temple series that keeps showing up on my Facebook feed wasn't bad. Kind of like Dresden, except rich and an rear end in a top hat.

First book is called Obsidian Son.

I saw this too a couple months ago - I managed to get through about four pages before throwing in the towel. He's too douchey and immature.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Piss. I just finished the latest Rivers of London book, too. Running out of UF worth reading.
Legend Has It was pretty decent. Not as tightly written as the 3rd book, still, but I liked it.

Also Craig Schaefer will have released 3 books and a few short stories he wrote on vacation by then, probably.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OneTwentySix posted:

It seems that series is done with Staked. I got an email from Amazon saying that :goonsay: fucker is starting a new series with a book called "A Plague of Giants".

Maybe it will be better because the actual world that Iron Druid took place in is interesting, but holy poo poo is the character himself a pile of garbage.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I was walking through a local bookstore a few weeks ago and saw this set up on a shelf and had a laugh. Has to make sure is didn't miss peace talks release or something

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It seems that series is done with Staked. I got an email from Amazon saying that :goonsay: fucker is starting a new series with a book called "A Plague of Giants".

Maybe it will be better because the actual world that Iron Druid took place in is interesting, but holy poo poo is the character himself a pile of garbage.

I actually read Staked and its almost worth it for the amount of time spent making GBS threads on Atticus for how he fucks up people's lives, to the point where the werewolves banish him from his own hometown.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently started the third Bone Street Rumba novel, Battle Hill Bolero (I know people said it comes off like the author is playing "diversity bingo" or whatever last time I mentioned it in the thread - I couldn't tell you because that sort of thing's usually a wee bit beyond me - I just enjoy the stories), and I feel like I've missed one out. Granted, I've read a lot of other books between the last one and this one but it feels like a whole bunch of stuff happened in between that I'm meant to know about but don't remember from the previous book and I don't know if that's intentional or not. :shrug:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Dienes posted:

I actually read Staked and its almost worth it for the amount of time spent making GBS threads on Atticus for how he fucks up people's lives, to the point where the werewolves banish him from his own hometown.

I like in the series how he's always getting played and outfoxed by his vampire ex-lawyer. Because I don't like the main character either. Also, the best comedic character in the series is not his lovely dog, but Coyote.

I must have been desperate for brainless entertainment when I kept at this series.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

OneTwentySix posted:

I actually did read that. I bought the audiobook on sale for three dollars or so, because I'd heard it mentioned as 'maybe kind of OK I guess' in the thread. I rate it up there with Anita Blake, in that it was pretty OK for a rough draft that somebody published.

The tonal shifts, the anti-climaxes, the main character... man. I remember the character being kind of a judgmental, dickish, and petty, but not in a funny way. A series about a superlative God-like being that learned nothing over the course of thousands of years and was still a teenager could have been kind of fun.

It was bad enough that when I started reading Verus and it opened on him in his shop, I had a bit of an 'oh gently caress no not again' moment.

The first book had enough good moments in there that I thought, "Well, maybe it has a rough start, like Dresden." But even the people that liked it would say things like, "There are some other cool characters in the books..." and "The protagonist gets truckloads of poo poo dumped on him by everyone else, it's great."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Read the silver john series by Manly Wade Wellman. It's more rural fantasy than urban but it's still fantastic.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Silver John is really cool.

Iron Druid is really, really not. There are some good ideas, but they're translated by a humongous douchenozzle of a character who is such a Mary Sue that he not only kills a bunch of Norse and Celtic gods, but he's also bros with Jesus.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'll just pop back in here to mention, and recommend, the Midnight Mayor series. Kate Griffin, and three in the main series, two in the spinoff. I really like them.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently started the third Bone Street Rumba novel, Battle Hill Bolero (I know people said it comes off like the author is playing "diversity bingo" or whatever last time I mentioned it in the thread - I couldn't tell you because that sort of thing's usually a wee bit beyond me - I just enjoy the stories), and I feel like I've missed one out. Granted, I've read a lot of other books between the last one and this one but it feels like a whole bunch of stuff happened in between that I'm meant to know about but don't remember from the previous book and I don't know if that's intentional or not. :shrug:

According to Wikipedia, there are 3 short stories in the series. Maybe you're missing some of those?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Jos%C3%A9_Older#Novellas

Those short stories can all be bought cheap on Amazon at least ($1.24 each for Kindle versions). It's quite a bit more annoying when authors stick short stories in expensive hardcover anthologies (filled with poo poo I don't want) and then drop "hints" in the text of the main story that there's something you're missing. I just gave up on Iron Druid all-together when one book started with an note from the author saying something along the lines of "there were big changes to the plot in a short story written for a lovely anthology, so you should go buy that before you read this book". At least Amazon has a good refund policy, because gently caress that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dienes posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind reading more Archdruid POV stuff about training new druids and having adventures with werewolves that aren't entirely stupid. Atticus and White Girl can die though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Read the silver john series by Manly Wade Wellman. It's more rural fantasy than urban but it's still fantastic.

Seconding this. His stuff is really good.