Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nill posted:

One thing other series should definitely adopt from F1 is the virtual safety car. Bonus points if they make a gimmick of it by literally projecting a 'virtual' car on the track.

Indy kinda sort of does? They wave double yellows to indicate full course caution on road courses (as does imsa), which is analogous to the safety car in f1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Tony Montana posted:

nono. I know you're the police or whatever, but if you really want to set me off just keep going this way.

Average speed doesn't mean poo poo when the cars literally don't brake and can only turn in one direction.

What is scary about it is it's retarded, and that's it. Whats scary about it is a track specifically designed so a crash results in the cars coming back ONTO the track, where everyone is constantly lapping at 300kph because lol brakes and corners. What is scary about it is putting 30+ cars onto a track a fraction of the size of an F1 track. What is scary about it is Zinardi lost his legs because of the idiocy I just detailed. What is scary about it learnt today is rookies may have just as much pace because of the series racing but without the experience. All going constantly at 300kph. With no run offs.

It's got nothing to do with being tough or something. Mansell did it because nobody else would give him the drive he wanted, and Frank is a stingy oval office that turned around to his newly crowned WDC and told him to stick his pay rise up his rear end.

dear Americans, I love you and this forum. But holy poo poo oval racing is the loving devil and the sooner you all realize it the sooner you can come and be awesome in F1.

Hey get off the Internet you loving European queer. Only 6 freaking races all year are on ovals so like learn to talk about something before you go full bonehead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I mean have you watched anything other then f1 or do you just like being retarded on the Internet. I mean America also have the best sports car racing in the world at the moment, but HUUUUUR OVALS EXIST.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like speedy race cars of all types on all kinds of tracks and surfaces.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I like speedy race cars of all types on all kinds of tracks and surfaces.

:yeah:

That's me really. Though I don't watch enough rally. I need to fix that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

I got REALLY into Group B classic stuff after getting hooked on Dirt Rally. I still haven't caught any modern stuff.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

iospace posted:

Indy kinda sort of does? They wave double yellows to indicate full course caution on road courses (as does imsa), which is analogous to the safety car in f1.
I was speaking more to the idea of maintaining gaps through a caution.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I really dig the cameras on the roll hoops of Indy cars, swivelling as they overtake. That's rad and F1 should do it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Modern Rally is dying a slow and painful death.

It's not popular enough to get the cooler or larger marques interested and none of the cooler or larger marques are interested in advertising as World Rally Champs so there's no "oh hey, this rally thing looks interesting" experience from the general public.
Ford, Citroen and Hyundai are all in there, but Ford is pushing everything else as it's sports car championship (I genuinely have no idea why they're in Rally the way they are) and neither Citroen nor Hyundai seem to be generating any traction. Toyota is joining with the Yaris, but I doubt we'll see the height of the Mitsubishi vs Subaru WRC days, let alone the Group B days.

So it's in a death spiral unless someone big decides to take a punt on it again (I saw that Renault is bringing back a modern version of the Renault Alpine A110 1600S, which as a side bar: yes loving please, so maybe they're going to do a thing in WRC?).

I should say that WRC used to be my jam in the olden days when it was genuinely Subaru vs Mitsubishi (even if the Peugeot 206s were better... I loved me some Marcus Gronholm in a 206). Then you had the pre-Loeb years and it all felt like it was getting a bit stale, and then the Loeb years which always felt like a foregone conclusion.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 13, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't lump me in TM please. I've not posted anything argumentative or strange since I got my poo poo together in real life. :(

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schlesische posted:

It's not popular enough to get the cooler or larger marques interested and none of the cooler or larger marques are interested in advertising as World Rally Champs so there's no "oh hey, this rally thing looks interesting" experience from the general public.
Ford, Citroen and Hyundai are all in there, but Ford is pushing everything else as it's sports car championship (I genuinely have no idea why they're in Rally the way they are) and neither Citroen nor Hyundai seem to be generating any traction. Toyota is joining with the Yaris, but I doubt we'll see the height of the Mitsubishi vs Subaru WRC days, let alone the Group B days.

So it's in a death spiral unless someone big decides to take a punt on it again (I saw that Renault is bringing back a modern version of the Renault Alpine A110 1600S, which as a side bar: yes loving please, so maybe they're going to do a thing in WRC?).

I should say that WRC used to be my jam in the olden days when it was genuinely Subaru vs Mitsubishi (even if the Peugeot 206s were better... I loved me some Marcus Gronholm in a 206). Then you had the pre-Loeb years and it all felt like it was getting a bit stale, and then the Loeb years which always felt like a foregone conclusion.

Have you not watched any of this year's WRC?

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

edit nm

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Don't lump me in TM please. I've not posted anything argumentative or strange since I got my poo poo together in real life. :(

haha oh no! dude first thing you gotta do is stop giving too much of a gently caress a bunch of strangers on the Internet say

just come and post and defend yourself. looks like we've got a mod that wants to see better posting. just participate in your own way, you know you're doing it 'wrong' when you get banned.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Christ

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Posting tips by Tony Montana itt

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Have you not watched any of this year's WRC?

To be honest, no.
I last watched a couple years ago during ?Ogier's first win?, and it all seemed a little more amateur hour than I remembered.
I also heard that VW were pulling out.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schlesische posted:

To be honest, no.
I last watched a couple years ago during ?Ogier's first win?, and it all seemed a little more amateur hour than I remembered.
I also heard that VW were pulling out.

Well watch it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

haha oh no! dude first thing you gotta do is stop giving too much of a gently caress a bunch of strangers on the Internet say

just come and post and defend yourself. looks like we've got a mod that wants to see better posting. just participate in your own way, you know you're doing it 'wrong' when you get banned.

I can't believe that a fellow fan of the cool Scuderia Ferrari is so retarded.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm fairly sure this is the busiest the thread's been in SA history, I'm not sure if that's encouraging or scary.

Oval racing is cool to watch as a one-off, not sure it'd hold my interest for a full season. Speaking of one-offs, it's probably for the best that nobody's mentioned Alesi's effort that one year. Not entirely his fault, mind, but still.

iospace posted:

Paging HJB. Paging HJB to the worst thread.

I already have to wear this av as a millstone around my neck, please don't make me parade it in public. Also why do I have a pager

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Theophany posted:

I really dig the cameras on the roll hoops of Indy cars, swivelling as they overtake. That's rad and F1 should do it.

Pretty sure I remember seeing it done once or twice a few years back on a williams, I find it jarring as hell to see though so wasn't that sad to see it die a death.

What I do want to see return is the drivers helmet cam that Coulthard was using in his final race before retiring... looked really promising... until he got wiped out on the second corner :v:

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HJB posted:

I'm fairly sure this is the busiest the thread's been in SA history, I'm not sure if that's encouraging or scary.

It is way busier, but 75% of it is a 3 poster circle jerk

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

Pretty sure I remember seeing it done once or twice a few years back on a williams, I find it jarring as hell to see though so wasn't that sad to see it die a death.

What I do want to see return is the drivers helmet cam that Coulthard was using in his final race before retiring... looked really promising... until he got wiped out on the second corner :v:

From memory weren't the Williams ones mounted on the front wing so the view was poo poo? Plus it was a Williams so it was more watching it get passed rather than it doing the passing :v:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

HJB posted:

I already have to wear this av as a millstone around my neck, please don't make me parade it in public. Also why do I have a pager

Still rocking the pager? Good for you man, good for you

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

F1 did this a couple of years ago, there was even a swivelling thermal cam once

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

F1 did this a couple of years ago, there was even a swivelling thermal cam once

The thermal cam was awesome. Why don't they still have that? The bits of rubber flying off the tyres looking like molten lava was beautiful.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Theophany posted:

From memory weren't the Williams ones mounted on the front wing so the view was poo poo? Plus it was a Williams so it was more watching it get passed rather than it doing the passing :v:

Yea that rings a bell... anyway, the future is all about VR. Before long there'll be 360 cameras mounted to the cars that we'll be able to pan around at will from the comfort of our sofa. The future's bright. :geno:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The rotating cameras are by far the worst thing about IndyCar. It's super disorienting at the best of times, and they almost always rotate away from what you want to see.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/852465115484090368

Are Jense is back.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

Ford, Citroen and Hyundai are all in there, but Ford is pushing everything else as it's sports car championship (I genuinely have no idea why they're in Rally the way they are)

Ford aren't in WRC really, they're vaguely supportive but the program is run and funded by M-Sport. The other 3 are all full works programs.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Awww yiss

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yesssssss

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Wow, a poo poo driver in a poo poo team. 🤣👎

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Nobody posted about Vettel.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Although the 206/xsara/focus were fun to watch, I really miss wrc when it was proper sedans rallying. That was good fun.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Can I point out that the BBC article is the usual crap speculatory Benson piece:

quote:

McLaren executive director Zak Brown says two-time champion Alonso's replacement is "not in place".

But there is no other serious option than Button, 37, who is contracted to McLaren as a reserve driver and will race barring unexpected circumstances.

It'll be Button, we all know it, but it's not been confirmed yet.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hmmm yes the usual Benson crap, like reporting Alonso was racing in the 500 before anyone else.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

wicka posted:

Nobody posted about Vettel.

Vettel is a 4 time WDC and Ferrari are the best team in F1. Jenson Button fluked his way to a WDC almost loosing it to the corpse of Rubens Barrichello, McLaren are poo poo.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

track day bro! posted:

Nobody posted about Hamilton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

track day bro! posted:

Vettel is a 4 time WDC and Ferrari are the best team in F1. Jenson Button fluked his way to a WDC almost loosing it to the corpse of Rubens Barrichello, McLaren are poo poo.

Checks out

• Locked thread