Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Daily Mail jumped the gun a bit and ran the story about the United passenger having a history of poor anger management and a bunch of other things I can't be bothered to remember.

Thing is...

they got the wrong David Dao. All this "dirt" RWM thinks it's digging up is on the wrong guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That doesn't matter to their readers, unfortunately, they only remember the version of the story that fits their reality.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe it turns out that they were right after all, but it's still irrelevant to him getting smashed in the face and a blatant character assassination for the corporate overlords.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah they were right after all about Dao. Some of the media guys are pretty smug about the people that "jumped to conclusions" that they were wrong. :ironicat:

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Tesseraction posted:

I believe it turns out that they were right after all, but it's still irrelevant to him getting smashed in the face and a blatant character assassination for the corporate overlords.
It's always the same story with authoritarians who think that vile behavior can be justified after the fact if the victim is sufficiently impure. It's just world bullshit that implies that some CDA rent a cop knew all about Dao's storied past when assaulting him, rather than this just being another case of ceding ground to "I was just following orders."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
When you become a police officer, you gain instantaneous previous knowledge of everyone's rap sheet in hindsight.

In order to catch a criminal, you must become a criminal yourself.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
CNN commentator: Trump is MLK of health care - CNN
https://apple.news/AIHFuV8bDR_eN8QCKFl4tcw

I want to die

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jeffrey Lord is going to give the worst/most racist take on everything.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

nerd plus rage posted:

CNN commentator: Trump is MLK of health care - CNN
https://apple.news/AIHFuV8bDR_eN8QCKFl4tcw

I want to die

He wants us to be judged, not by the (jaundiced) color of our skin, but by the contents of our wallet. :911:

(Maybe we'll get lucky and find out he meant in a James Earl Ray way.)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Edible Hat posted:

Scott Adams is saying that Trump "started in the deepest hole of any president ever". How does one become this dumb and ahistorical and unconvincing?

This is borderline fascinating at this point. Trump could sign the "Taking a Daily Presidental Dump into Scott Adam's Open Mouth Act of 2017" and Adams would probably go "He's just gaming my expectations and making the amazing steak he will serve me in 2018 seem even better in comparison, you noobs!"

Has there been anything, however small, the Dilbertman considered a bad thing or at least poorly handled?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

That doesn't matter to their readers, unfortunately, they only remember the version of the story that fits their reality.

It's a pretty common smear tactic. Every black male victim usually gets it. Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown got the worst of it. I remember a video going around of a random black male that fit the body profile of Brown (but wasn't him) hitting someone else, and people saying "see?? He's not really a gentle giant!"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Sephyr posted:

Has there been anything, however small, the Dilbertman considered a bad thing or at least poorly handled?

Yes, actually. When the Billy Bush tapes came out, Adams made a big deal out of changing his endorsement to Gary Johnson, because he said if the allegations against Trump were true, he is completely unfit for the office. For a few days he would repeat a joke he thought was totally clever, that "I endorse Gary Johnson because he only touches himself." Whether he was seriously endorsing Johnson or not, who knows, and of course he gave that up after a couple of weeks, but even he had to admit that the tapes made Trump look like a sexual predator.

By the way, US relations with Russia being at an "all-time low," according to Trump?

It's all just 3D chess from the Master Persuader.

quote:

In the 2nd dimension – where things are just the way they look – it does seem that the U.S. and Russia are in a bad place with each other. The United States attacked Russia’s little buddy, Assad, for allegedly using chemical weapons. But Russia says Assad didn’t use chemical weapons. Now Russia is mad at the United States.

Maybe the situation is exactly what I just described.

But just for fun, let’s hop up to the 3rd dimension (of persuasion) and see what the view looks like.

Hopping up now. Looking around…

Okay, it looks different from here. In the 3rd dimension, the smartest thing for both Trump and Putin to say right now is that relations between Russia and the U.S. are terrible… while not thinking it is true in any practical sense.

For Trump, pretending to have bad relations with Russia solves for his “Puppet of Putin” problem while giving him room to improve. He’s setting the bar as low as the bar will go. And he gets a free pass on Russian relations right now because public opinion in the United States is supportive of the Syrian strike. Later, when relations with Russia improve, it will look like progress. Trump wins now, and he wins later too.

Luckily for President Trump, Putin also has an incentive to pretend that relations with the United States are strained. He needs to put up a strong front because of all the usual reasons countries act tough. Given the circumstances, I’d say Russia is acting restrained.

The United States and Russia are what I call “natural allies.” We have some common problems to solve (notably ISIS), and no natural problems with each other, such as claims to the same territory, or a long history of shooting wars against each other. And both countries are super-pragmatic.

The smartest play right now for both Trump and Putin (two Master Persuaders) is to claim relations between their countries are in the basement and can’t get much worse. That quiets the haters without creating any real risk of a trade war or a shooting war. Everyone gets what they need in this situation. And when relations improve – which they will – everyone gets to take credit for it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sephyr posted:

This is borderline fascinating at this point. Trump could sign the "Taking a Daily Presidental Dump into Scott Adam's Open Mouth Act of 2017" and Adams would probably go "He's just gaming my expectations and making the amazing steak he will serve me in 2018 seem even better in comparison, you noobs!"

For some reason, Adams has latched onto Trump as the ultimate Master Persuader 3D-thinker mind control expert that Adams thinks he himself is. If it turns out that no, Trump is just a buffoon who failed up his whole life thanks to daddy's money and never had any idea how to run the country because it was all a grift to make money from rubes by promising them the moon and then launching Trump TV after he lost to sell "Hillary rigged the vote to stop me from doing all the contradictory impossible things I promised", then it means Adams was a dumbshit all along and everything he saw in Trump was just the confirmation bias that Adams thinks he's immune to.

Adam's entire self-image of being a Master Persuader is now wrapped up in Trump, so everything Trump does no matter how stupid it appears, must be all part of a master plan. Even if it directly contradicts what Adams said the master plan was yesterday, that's just more proof that Trump is even more brilliant than he thought and is always one step ahead of everyone.

The question is: is there any limit to the insane lengths he'll go to double down, or will it get too retarded even for Adams to continue with a straight face at which point he flips to "Master Persuading cannot fail, it can only be failed. Watch as I explain how Trump failed the Master Persuasion philosophy"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 13, 2017

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Tonight was might have been Bills last show

"According to four network sources, there’s talk inside Fox News that tonight’s show could be his last. Lawyers for the law firm Paul, Weiss, hired last summer by 21st Century Fox to investigate Roger Ailes, are currently doing a “deep dive” investigation into O’Reilly’s behavior. They’re focused now on sexual harassment claims by O’Reilly guest Wendy Walsh after she reported her claims via the company’s anonymous hotline. Fox News co-president Bill Shine has been working hard to keep O’Reilly, sources said. But O’Reilly’s future is in the hands of the Murdochs. “It’s up to the family,” the senior Fox News staffer said. The Murdochs are presently divided over how to handle it."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/is-bill-oreilly-going-off-the-air.html

I really enjoy how there hast to be some detailed investigation to figure out if Bill O'Reilly is a serial sexual harasser and all around terrible person or not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yes, actually. When the Billy Bush tapes came out, Adams made a big deal out of changing his endorsement to Gary Johnson, because he said if the allegations against Trump were true, he is completely unfit for the office. For a few days he would repeat a joke he thought was totally clever, that "I endorse Gary Johnson because he only touches himself." Whether he was seriously endorsing Johnson or not, who knows, and of course he gave that up after a couple of weeks, but even he had to admit that the tapes made Trump look like a sexual predator.

IIRC that was never a serious endorsement and Adams obviously never planned on doing anything but voting Trump. It was something like "if I say I support Trump then Hillaryites will call me a predator, therefore I support Johnson *wink* btw what Trump said on that tape is 100% true all women want to be fingered by rich men so can rich men ever rape, answer no they can't here's an anecdote about my rich friend who drops every panty in a hundred mile radius"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/undefined/status/852334924333973506

Recticare

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Master Shake posted:

On Wednesday’s Mark Levin show, It’s amazing what a new President and new administration can do with serious people running a serious foreign policy. Look at the change in China and Russia. Russia is on its heels and reports are that China is putting pressure on North Korea. The way you defeat Vladimir Putin is the way Ronald Reagan defeated the Soviet Union, by building up the military and unleashing the economy. Then we will crush Russia and China without firing a shot.

Later, almost six weeks ago this we began asking questions about the Obama administration’s alleged surveillance of the Trump campaign and transition team. Now, there’s absolutely no question it occurred and the media is trying to cover it up. CNN came up with story and have sources that say there is nothing to the statements made by Devin Nunes. CNN spoke to a couple of anonymous sources who say there is nothing here, case closed. But Adam Housely, a reporter at Fox News calls in to discuss Congress expanding the unmasking probe amid questions over Susan Rice’s role. We should be asking if the surveillance of Carter Page, a former Trump adviser, led to anything. We don’t know what he did or what he didn’t do but Page is a nonstory. At this point we don’t know what happened, but clearly Congress is concerned. Also, the FBI did obtain a warrant to survey Carter Page. This means that James Clapper’s assertion in March that there was no FISA Court order activity against President Trump or his campaign is false.

:thumbsup:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

For some reason, Adams has latched onto Trump as the ultimate Master Persuader 3D-thinker mind control expert that Adams thinks he himself is. If it turns out that no, Trump is just a buffoon who failed up his whole life thanks to daddy's money and never had any idea how to run the country because it was all a grift to make money from rubes by promising them the moon and then launching Trump TV after he lost to sell "Hillary rigged the vote to stop me from doing all the contradictory impossible things I promised", then it means Adams was a dumbshit all along and everything he saw in Trump was just the confirmation bias that Adams thinks he's immune to.

Adam's entire self-image of being a Master Persuader is now wrapped up in Trump, so everything Trump does no matter how stupid it appears, must be all part of a master plan. Even if it directly contradicts what Adams said the master plan was yesterday, that's just more proof that Trump is even more brilliant than he thought and is always one step ahead of everyone.

The question is: is there any limit to the insane lengths he'll go to double down, or will it get too retarded even for Adams to continue with a straight face at which point he flips to "Master Persuading cannot fail, it can only be failed. Watch as I explain how Trump failed the Master Persuasion philosophy"

We like to imagine Dill-butt tying himself up in rhetorical knots for our amusement, but I'm putting my money on him posting another picture of his abs, claiming he doesn't actually care what happened, it was all to get readers, and then pretending it all never happened.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scott Adams thinks only losers take vacations from work, which he spent years making comics about how much that sucked. He's an idiot and his opinions on anything couldn't be more worthless.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

AARPmedicaresupplement.com is a UnitedHealthcare website, not an AARP site, btw.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Twelve by Pies posted:

By the way, US relations with Russia being at an "all-time low," according to Trump?

Didn't he also briefly "endorse" Clinton like it was some kind of Protection Against Sexism Allegations spell?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Leofish posted:

Didn't he also briefly "endorse" Clinton like it was some kind of Protection Against Sexism Allegations spell?

I thought it was because it was a "Protection against Clinton having him secretly killed" spell.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Radish posted:

I thought it was because it was a "Protection against Clinton having him secretly killed" spell.

Oh, you're right.

Dilbro posted:

So I’ve decided to endorse Hillary Clinton for President, for my personal safety. Trump supporters don’t have any bad feelings about patriotic Americans such as myself, so I’ll be safe from that crowd. But Clinton supporters have convinced me – and here I am being 100% serious – that my safety is at risk if I am seen as supportive of Trump. So I’m taking the safe way out and endorsing Hillary Clinton for president.

What a goober.

quote:

I would be a top-ten assassination target in that scenario because once you define Trump as Hitler, you also give citizens moral permission to kill him. And obviously it would be okay to kill anyone who actively supports a genocidal dictator, including anyone who wrote about his persuasion skills in positive terms. (I’m called an “apologist” on Twitter, or sometimes just Joseph Goebbels).

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 13, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like even if this is the alternate reality where it's not Trump supporters beating people at rallies, if you are gloating about your master plan to pretend to endorse someone it's probably not going to fool anyone. The dude couldn't be any stupider.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Very anxious to hear the take on the "mother of All Bombs" we dropped today. Weapons of mass distraction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rosland Capital was one of the few advertisers who stuck with Glenn Beck right to the end. They're an old people scam company that sells gold and silver bars. Remember: one of Beck's big pet issues was tricking his elderly audience into buying gold because the stock market was going to crater and the US dollar was going to be worthless under Obama.

Rock Auto being on there disappoints me though. I've ordered stuff from them before and they've got really good deals on hard to find stuff and they ship really fast. They probably just don't give a poo poo that Bill O'Reilly's a serial rapist because he has a huge audience who see their ads :smith:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
and also

lol at Nattyreview. OBAMA!! :argh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It strikes me that Breitbart just flat out looks like a tabloid.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Xibanya posted:

and also

lol at Nattyreview. OBAMA!! :argh:

So unless you're a european poli sci or history major you have no idea who Stanley Baldwin is.
<Furiously googles 'Stanley Baldwin'>

Are they saying that even though all of what Obama did looks good it's actually bad or are they setting themselves up for 30 years from now when people go, "No, actually he was pretty good." ??? :confused:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

It strikes me that Breitbart is a tabloid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I know. I'm just saying that its not even hiding.

Like, National Review is utter garbage (and I just skimmed its main page articles which is why they stand out in my head) but they at least make an effort to pretend they're a serious place for deep thinkers.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

No, I know. I'm just saying that its not even hiding.

Like, National Review is utter garbage (and I just skimmed its main page articles which is why they stand out in my head) but they at least make an effort to pretend they're a serious place for deep thinkers.

Fair point. That said, their target demo is so monumentally clueless that they really don't need to bother.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I've just only really seen the Breitbart main page a few times and looking at it now it really stood out how it was filled with wacky images and sensational photos and headlines.

I mean, I KNEW that but actually looking at it makes it so plainly obvious what a garbage tabloid it is.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's nice how the quoted section has Adams never mentioning anything benefiting the real people (residents of US, RU, and the entire rest of the planet). It's all a game of sleazy rich authoritarian men gaining Bank points and Smart Guy points, which is impressive to Scott.

And good to know that it's somehow very pragmatic for the US to have the most shameful healthcare system of any first-world nation, and a top-down decree from POTUS to ignore climate change. Same for Russia's creepy expansionism, virulent homophobia, and extreme right-wing foreign election interference. The true mark of a pragmatic nation is massive fatal drug epidemics going largely unchecked.

Dilbert man sounds like a persuasionism cultist at this point, it makes me wonder how often he talks with others instead of just at other people. I can't tell if there's any point to his writing anymore, since he seems to have abandoned the part where he explains how Trump is actually good (instead of just a creepy liar).

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 13, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Q ≠ E

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hannity's already on Easter vacation so it was reruns today, but they did have one of my favorite types of Hannity guests. The "I'm a liberal Democrat but liberals are wrong about [subject] and conservatives are totally correct."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love that. Like, I really love the craziness that they constantly have people come on and argue "I'm a liberal but these liberals aren't real liberals and real liberals actually thing the exact same as conservatives. But also, we still hate liberals."

Like, the logical circle of that just cracks me up.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

sweart gliwere posted:

Dilbert man sounds like a persuasionism cultist at this point, it makes me wonder how often he talks with others instead of just at other people.

He's the Jim Jones, I thought.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

World Famous W posted:

Everything Scott says is insane now a days but loving lol.

I mean, Lincoln had a third of the country actively warring against him, but that's nothing compare to Trump!

I guess maybe if the "hole" he's referring to is poll numbers, then the statement is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Rock Auto being on there disappoints me though. I've ordered stuff from them before and they've got really good deals on hard to find stuff and they ship really fast. They probably just don't give a poo poo that Bill O'Reilly's a serial rapist because he has a huge audience who see their ads :smith:

Rock Auto and MyPillow pretty much advertise on every cable channel from Fox to Cooking Channel to Big Ten Network. It's the advertising equivalent of blindly throwing darts at a board and seeing where they end up afterwards: sometimes you hit treble 20, sometimes you miss the whole board.