Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

emoji posted:

I'm Jon Hendren's 'really good' GED score and demanding job that precludes making 5 posts per day on a forum but allows 24/7 Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's almost as if the comment about his ged was an exaggeration

almost like he wasn't being serious, perhaps intentionally so... hrm hrrrrmery

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
humour? no. never seen anything like that 'round here.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I only consume half a deck of cards worth of humor in a single day, anymore than that is gluttony

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just tried setting up discourse, and holy hell it is the worst kind of duct-taped together over-engineered under-thought crap. a million random dependencies, a ton of details that must be "just so" for it to work, and horrifying performance and resource use for what it actually does

one can safely conclude that either forums software is very complicated business, or that idiots are everywhere

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its idiots

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and horrifying performance and resource use for what it actually does

well ya, the backend is ruby lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just tried setting up discourse, and holy hell it is the worst kind of duct-taped together over-engineered under-thought crap. a million random dependencies, a ton of details that must be "just so" for it to work, and horrifying performance and resource use for what it actually does

one can safely conclude that either forums software is very complicated business, or that idiots are everywhere

six course, by chef fatwood of snack overflow

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

looked for a comment section to post the permabanned forums user niggerstomper58 quote. there will never be a better time

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i think it's going pretty good op

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Syllables posted:

i keep forgetting i basically made my account 6 years ago

what a life.

i was here before the registration fee. i used to wish i remembered my original account info, but now i wonder if i'd feel embarrassed about the registration date

Gazpacho posted:

the last bells & whistles improvement to IRC I saw was yahoo chat and that was enough to convince me that irc doesn/t need improvement

there's a working group doing its best to modernize it. today's irc is full of tags and other hacks, and there have been exploits that took advantage of broken parsers. the working group wanted to implement a json-based wire format so developers could use common parsing libraries and add new features more easily, but lovely nerds from hacker news and reddit who never wrote more than a trivia bot invaded the github issue to complain that their "simple" protocol was changing to something trendy and ended up shelving the effort

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Toady posted:

there's a working group doing its best to modernize it. today's irc is full of tags and other hacks, and there have been exploits that took advantage of broken parsers. the working group wanted to implement a json-based wire format so developers could use common parsing libraries and add new features more easily, but lovely nerds from hacker news and reddit who never wrote more than a trivia bot invaded the github issue to complain that their "simple" protocol was changing to something trendy and ended up shelving the effort

they're not wrong that switching to "a json-based wire format" would be changing to something trendy

I wish the IETF had decreed Access Protocol to be the basis for all new protocols, as it was intended to be, since it distilled out the common functionality from IMAP, ICAP, ACAP, and so on, being both easy to safely parse and easy to extend

I tried to push for it as the basis for IETF's instant messaging proposal but that whole effort turned into a complete shitshow because some people (telecom people) insisted everything had to be UDP since mobile phones would never support anything but small lossy packets and certainly not TCP connections, so whole additional layers of abstraction were proposed, and other people (the trend wankers of the day) insisted that everything had to be XML-based because XML was the next big thing, so all we really got out of it was BEEP and the only thing to ever really use that for anything real was Apple's Xgrid distributed computing system

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I do not think the forums rewrite is going well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i hope that it is going well and wish the best to lowtax, zen death robot and the other something awful staff members

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

they're not wrong that switching to "a json-based wire format" would be changing to something trendy

I wish the IETF had decreed Access Protocol to be the basis for all new protocols, as it was intended to be, since it distilled out the common functionality from IMAP, ICAP, ACAP, and so on, being both easy to safely parse and easy to extend

I tried to push for it as the basis for IETF's instant messaging proposal but that whole effort turned into a complete shitshow because some people (telecom people) insisted everything had to be UDP since mobile phones would never support anything but small lossy packets and certainly not TCP connections, so whole additional layers of abstraction were proposed, and other people (the trend wankers of the day) insisted that everything had to be XML-based because XML was the next big thing, so all we really got out of it was BEEP and the only thing to ever really use that for anything real was Apple's Xgrid distributed computing system

the goal wasn't to be trendy, of course. in the past, parsing vulnerabilities have been exploited in not only IRC clients but also networks like Efnet, where a carefully crafted message would cause the daemon to call strlen(NULL). the point of using a JSON wire format, which would have been optional via the existing CAP system, was to enable the use of widely-supported parsing libraries and to make it easier to evolve the protocol:

"The reason for this proposal, and this entire working group in general, is to extend the IRC protocol to make it more feature rich, and improve its extensibility. The current RFC1459 based protocol is very limiting, as you can only extend existing messages by tacking on parameters to the end of commands or numerics, or adding new ones (which becomes a mess in coordinating the additions). This JSON proposal opens the field for a lot more extensions that would have been limited or difficult to do within the limits of RFC1459 (though I'm not sure on whether one cap can require another cap). As an example, WHOX is a major pain to handle, as the numeric it uses (354) doesn't have a fixed format. The creators of WHOX worked around this by allowing you to specify a 3 character tag which would come first, and allow you to identify which WHOX you asked for so you know what parts translate to what, but it's a bit of a hack. With JSON, a proposal could easily be made to say WHOX replies are just objects, and everything you asked for is a property of the object, so you can just iterate over the list of properties, and pull out that data in a simpler fashion."

someone posted the github issue to hacker news and reddit. the top-rated comment on reddit was knee-jerk snark about how a trendy bloated JSON message was clearly so much better than something like "NICK foo". most of the other comments ran along the same lines, insisting that RFC1459 was so easy and simple

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hey remember how lowtax said he was going to get involved with the forums again? i mean the most recent time he said that, just a few months ago?

so uh...yeah

hmm

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SO DEMANDING posted:

hey remember how lowtax said he was going to get involved with the forums again? i mean the most recent time he said that, just a few months ago?

so uh...yeah

hmm

he's still settling in to the new office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5WLkb_Cxk&t=87s

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

last i followed what lowtax was up to, he was complaining on twitter that he couldn't call brianna wu ugly without pushback and that people were hypocrites because they didn't defend right-wing troll ann coulter

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

so uh...yeah

hmm
He's done this a few times in the last several years. Barges into the mod forum, says he doesn't like how things are running, promises to be involved again, usually pisses off a bunch of staff who quit, and then he remembers that moderating forums is a bitch and unrewarding and he leaves

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

He's a nice guy but he clearly takes no joy in running the forums so I dunno why he tries to

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

He's a nice guy but he clearly takes no joy in running the forums so I dunno why he tries to

as someone who has run forums: the feelings of appreciation you get are a nice emotional high until you realize that at any given moment 80% of people hate you anyway regardless of what you do, including both vanishing and also being more active

also some misguided sense of "duty" or "responsibility"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah but gaming garbage is back, in pog form

all sins are forgiven richard

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I've started on the complete,t serverless rewrite using react redux saga flow yarn lambda functions kinesics namastę

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

please follow along with my progress on my code smasher academy blog cast please retweet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

serverless is the future

can you imagine how cool and good it
will be when we get rid of all servers

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have seen lambda run out of capacity. as in all your functions just straight up fail with an error message. its pretty epic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i watched a vid of lowtax interviewing someone for comic con

his abs need a
bit of work

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He just had a baby, way to be insensitive

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I can't entirely blame him seeing some of the profoundly stupid bullshit that's gone on here

but then this is his business and livelihood and the guy's got three kids so that's where the apathy gets a little weird and concerning

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I want my .jpg spaceship lowtax this is an outrage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i disagree, sexy parrot. i think it is going very well

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

I wouldn't either if all the online communities I spawned were the worst thing about the internet

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

My Linux Rig posted:

I wouldn't either if all the online communities I spawned were the worst thing about the internet

truly is amazing just how much garbage traces back here, isn't it?

it's less "the internet makes you stupid" and more like "SA made the internet stupid"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i can't wait for him to make good on his promise that we can post without fear of someone who's not a cishet white dude reading it

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

George posted:

i can't wait for him to make good on his promise that we can post without fear of someone who's not a cishet white dude reading it

part of the forums conversion is javascript straight-to-gay conversation therapy that will automatically homosexualize any cishet, so the problem will solve itself

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
more like gay-to-mome conversion

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Tom Collins posted:

truly is amazing just how much garbage traces back here, isn't it?

it's less "the internet makes you stupid" and more like "SA made the internet stupid"
nah at least SA always had moderation. the garbage had to migrate elsewhere to truly take full bloom

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

mishaq posted:

serverless is the future

can you imagine how cool and good it
will be when we get rid of all servers

distribute the forums across all members phones and pcs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

He's done this a few times in the last several years. Barges into the mod forum, says he doesn't like how things are running, promises to be involved again, usually pisses off a bunch of staff who quit, and then he remembers that moderating forums is a bitch and unrewarding and he leaves

tbf most of the people who left weren't very good anyway so alls well that ends well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

distribute the forums across all members phones and pcs

already working on a distributed hash (think block chain, or bit coin for the uninitiated) for storing posts

just gotta figure moderation out

• Locked thread