Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if he got around to watching Bladerunner yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
David Cage's only good piece of game work was the soundtrack to Time Cop on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrU0NuV17E

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if he got around to watching Bladerunner yet

Does he also think he's doing something super original by setting a story about Robot Cops in Detroit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ometeotl posted:

Someone post quote where David Cage tries to hype his new game by positing "what if humans were the bad guy?" as if it were some sort of mic drop moment.

Has...he read the news lately? Or sat through any classes in history?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I have never played a Cage game but I always get amused by how much hate he inspires in Games.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I thought Heavy Rain was good :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fahrenheit was hilarious and I didn't mind Heavy Rain since it did stuff that was pretty unusual at the time even if the writing wasn't the best. Two Souls was boring as gently caress though and other people have done that style of game better now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After seeing what Until Dawn could do I feel like Cage really needs to up his game for this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's possible, it being a fairly high profile game, that Sony have a heavy hand in it and can restrain his worse instincts and might come up with something genuinely interesting, but I have a horrible feeling they consider him a Kojima-esque auteur and he can do whatever he wants.
Either way I'm letting someone else find out first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked Heavy Rain a lot when it came out because it was ~immersive~ but haven't gone back to it despite having the PS4 remaster bundle. same with Beyond2Souls

I'll probably play and enjoy the new one and then never play it again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sakurazuka posted:

It's possible, it being a fairly high profile game, that Sony have a heavy hand in it and can restrain his worse instincts and might come up with something genuinely interesting, but I have a horrible feeling they consider him a Kojima-esque auteur and he can do whatever he wants.
Either way I'm letting someone else find out first.

I think for their own part Sony have been pretty hands-off when it comes to exclusives. If there's any hope of Cage reining it in then I wouldn't expect to find it from them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SpazmasterX posted:

I thought Heavy Rain was good :shrug:
Good? It was freakin amazeballs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 13, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's absolute no way you can play this with a minimal of comfort

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 13, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looks nice and squishy but I bet it's hard plastic....

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

You just know that somebody's going to use that special controller in a special way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

You just know that somebody's going to use that special controller in a special way.

Well who wouldn't hug a slime?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
q games thread did destiny deoxys and the celebi movies have good soundtracks? i'm looking at some used original prints of those, and rse, hgss, and frlg dass why

e: i got the movie soundtracks, hgss, and crystal chronicles

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 13, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, how is everyone doing today

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm trying not to fall asleep on my lunch break and largely failing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/852483090601693184

:allears: I can't believe someone actually had a problem with this.

Also hi FAK! I'm staying up late to watch cheesy anime and nurse my frustrations over losing my Paradox Mage in ToME to my panic buttons failing.

e: And here's the post in question.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 13, 2017

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
For all the folks who like anime in here

Go see "Your Name" if it's playing in a theatre nearby. I was pretty much done with Shinkai after 5cm per second but he actually made a movie that's not depressing rehashed themes. It's funny, and feels like he really made something for an audience to feel good about. Go watch it. It's well deserving of the praise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody, how is everyone doing today

Good, I'm gonna play more Parasite Eve II. Although it has the same kinda ammo problem early on that PE1 did where I have some cool guns but no ammo for any of them so I have to just keep relying on my baton for battle. The cutscenes look remarkably better for only being like, 1 year removed from the first game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Heavy Rain was alright, but Beyond: Two Souls was Beyond Awful

I do want to play the Robert Cop: Becoming A Man game though, even if I wish Supermassive was doing it instead

LOL of course it's NeoGAF, the IQ of that place is shocking

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 13, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Good luck Sakurazuka, idk how much longer you have to work but I believe in you, you can make it through!!

Hello Strix and In Training. I am glad you both are having fun with stuff, except for the paradox mage thing.

I 100% completed talos principle (except the dlc because I don't have that) so that was fun :) I'm glad that I was able to finish it and it was all-in-all an enjoyable experience.

I've been trying to stay positive. We're down to our last $600 and that's enough to pay for bills this month and rent next month and not much else, so I'm really hoping my fiancee can land this job she had an interview for where the job would be paying her $18/hour. If she doesn't get it, I can only hope she'll be able to find some other work soon. I don't know when my court date for SSI is going to be but I know the date isn't even going to be decided until May at earliest. Life is just really rough and stressful right now, I've just been trying to sleep off the negative feelings or distract myself with games while staying strong for KCB so that I can try to get her to feel more confident that things are going to turn out alright.

I really don't know what's going to happen and I wish something positive would happen already. The fact that we don't have a car at the moment and would need to dump a fair amount of whatever paycheck she gets into a car fund is not great either :\

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 13, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL of course it's NeoGAF, the IQ of that place is shocking
NeoGAF is a beautiful and unique treasure, like a wildlife reserve, except for the bit where wildlife reserves shouldn't get bulldozed to make way for SUV factories.

From a discussion of a pretty good interview with Microsoft's Phil Spencer, where he talked about delaying Project Scorpio from a 2016 release so as to allow for better hardware than whatever Sony was preparing:

quote:

This is the most interesting part for me, because I had always wondered how everything broke down with Microsoft and the Scorpio and Sony with the PS4 Pro. Remember, Phil essentially announced the Scorpio off the cuff about a year ago at this time, which was before we knew about the PS4 Pro. Shortly thereafter, news about the PS4 Pro leaked.

I had always assumed it was some amount of corporate espionage at work, and that Microsoft wasn't ready to develop a new console, but Sony forced their hand. If we take Phil at his word, then the facts were slightly different. I still suspect that there was corporate espionage at play, but I think it's possible that the espionage revealed that the "2016 Scorpio" would have been too similar to the PS4 Pro. So instead of going forward with that plan, Microsoft decides to delay a year and come up with something considerably more powerful, but to get ahead of Sony by announcing Scorpio before the PS4 Pro was revealed.

This is all speculation of course, but I always thought it was strange how everything went down between the reveals of these two console revisions.

quote:

No Sony had ideas for the PS4 much before anything about Scorpio/Neo was even mentioned or leaked - For example, there are ideas such as releasing a standard PS4 and a high performance PS4

quote:

Ideas are not announcements. Everyone has ideas. People talk a lot about their ideas. Nothing is official until it is announced, and Microsoft announced Scorpio as a thing before Sony revealed the PS4 Pro, despite Scorpio coming out one year later.

And honestly, whether Sony had discussed plans in 2015 for a possible upgraded PS4 isn't even relevant to my point. My point is that Microsoft may have used corporate espionage to get PS4 Pro specs before it was revealed, causing them to scrap plans for a 2016 Scorpio and focus on a 2017 Scorpio.
:psyduck:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Good, I'm gonna play more Parasite Eve II. Although it has the same kinda ammo problem early on that PE1 did where I have some cool guns but no ammo for any of them so I have to just keep relying on my baton for battle. The cutscenes look remarkably better for only being like, 1 year removed from the first game.

You know that PE2 has ammo crates everywhere that give you infinite amounts of the basic 9mm ammo in amounts of 500 at a time, right? If you're already in Dryfield there should be one next to your car.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna assume this is just a troll, but even then, "I don't agree that this is all fake, some of it must be real and I will not let this game make a liar out of me :colbert:" is my favorite video game complaint ever

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

I expect it was specifically to shake off that last part. Nintendo has made some moves to try to broaden their library beyond specifically family-friendly games. I think they've gone a bit further on handheld than on console (see: SMT4/Apocalypse), but Wii U has things like Bayonetta 2 and (possibly to a lesser extent) Xenoblade X that aren't child-friendly games. They also wanted to try to appeal to "core gamers" with the Wii U, if I remember correctly.

The plan didn't quite work out and Bayonetta 2 stands out as one of the few non-first-party games on Wii U that's actually good, but it was a worthwhile thing to try.

The "family friendly" Nintendo image only ever applied to Nintendo of America anyway, didn't it? Back in the NES / SNES days they were infamous for bowdlerizing games for US release, removing blood and naughty language and all that, and even up to today when weeaboos rage about how characters are changed to dress more modestly or can't date their siblings or whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

You know that PE2 has ammo crates everywhere that give you infinite amounts of the basic 9mm ammo in amounts of 500 at a time, right? If you're already in Dryfield there should be one next to your car.

:doh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Although once I reached dry field I just spent a bunch of BP on too much buckshot so I've been good since the first level. I miss the cool cyber map of Manhattan

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Although once I reached dry field I just spent a bunch of BP on too much buckshot so I've been good since the first level. I miss the cool cyber map of Manhattan

Yeah the areas in PE2 are considerably more boring.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PE2 tried to jump a bit too hard onto the Resident Evil train without knowing exactly what people enjoyed about those games.
It certainly wasn't incredibly obtrusive HUDs for one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

raditts posted:

The "family friendly" Nintendo image only ever applied to Nintendo of America anyway, didn't it? Back in the NES / SNES days they were infamous for bowdlerizing games for US release, removing blood and naughty language and all that, and even up to today when weeaboos rage about how characters are changed to dress more modestly or can't date their siblings or whatever.

i dunno man even if the "colorful italian man jumping on mushrooms" of the SNES/N64 area didn't stick them with a rep for family friendly titles the entire paradigm Mii and Wii Sports et al established at nintendo's zenith was definitely not an exclusively american thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Famicom literally stands for family computer....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

PE2 tried to jump a bit too hard onto the Resident Evil train without knowing exactly what people enjoyed about those games.
It certainly wasn't incredibly obtrusive HUDs for one.

Have they completely dropped the gun customization? My fave mechanical part of 1 was min/maxing guns to make them completely ridiculous, like automatic shotguns with 40 bullet clips, etc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scorpio is going to to funny because for all the power it wants to bring, Microsoft doesn't loving get it. PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube or the Xbox but it had a godlike library of games. Xbone alone already cancelled poo poo like Scalebound and Phantom Dust and has to look down the barrel of the ridiculous 2017 gluttony of PS4 exclusives.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo's competitors have always angled themselves as edgier and more adult-oriented since the days of Sega does what Nintendon't, it's not a particularly recent stigma.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Have they completely dropped the gun customization?

Pretty much. The only thing in that department you get is that there's an M16 you can get that has attachments you can put on but the extent of that is adding a bayonet or grenade launcher as an alternate fire method, or giving it higher ammo capacity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

Have they completely dropped the gun customization? My fave mechanical part of 1 was min/maxing guns to make them completely ridiculous, like automatic shotguns with 40 bullet clips, etc

I always loved my One Shot One Kill Sniper Rifle Pistol That Does Damage Of Every Element And Inflicts Every Status Effect, Or At Least It Would If It Didn't One-Shot Everything,

or, lightbow, as i called it in the post-final boss section where you can name one gun and one armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sega sold a lot of Megadrives off the back of Mortal Kombat having blood in it when the SNES version didn't, even though that was technically better.

In Training posted:

I haven't played it properly for years tbh, but if I remember right it does have gun mods but only action-y stick a grenade launcher or some better sights or something on it.

• Locked thread