Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dragonatrix posted:

I think this one's kind of interesting. Didn't see that one coming, since her confidant bonuses are designed around keeping the Alert meter down. I guess I can kind of see the logic in it.

I do wonder what Fortune can give for NG+ given that her abilities are all based around going to see her in Shinjuku which is kind of not possible for a while. Same with Temperance for that matter (though it's probably the ability to ""skip"" class and read/make infiltration tools for her).

I think I mistyped there. I meant Death, not Devil.

Devil just gives you the top Alert reduction talent. Fortune just unlocks all the reading types from the start, though you can't use it until you get access. Temperance is interesting because you only get the rank 10 massage perk, none of the lower ones.

Zore fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh, that makes more sense but gives even less reason to care about Ohya's stuff. :v:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, that makes more sense but gives even less reason to care about Ohya's stuff. :v:

I dunno, money drop rate up would be real handy if you keep the Strength Max skill.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Intoluene posted:

I dunno, money drop rate up would be real handy if you keep the Strength Max skill.

Ohya is Devil, who only gives the alert reduction skill. You're thinking of Chihaya probably.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Palace 3 wasn't so bad. Did the whole thing in one shot, and liked the actual puzzle-solving more than things in the previous 2 dungeons. gently caress the enemies though. Those Oni without elemental weaknesses were such bullshit. At the same time though, I think the game is encouraging you to mess around with status effects, and it quickly becomes apparent that you can lock down dudes without hitting a weakness. Morgana's Lucky Punch also saved my bacon a ton of times when I wanted to get an All-Out Attack.

Looking forward to having 15 days of free time to make anime friends.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also, having done all the confidants, I can honestly say that pretty much all of them are worth doing either mechanically or story-wise.

I really enjoyed Priestess, Empress, Emperor, Chariot, Heirophant and Hermit the most.

Lovers, Devil and Tower were probably the weakest overall but even then they would have been mid-tier links in P3 or P4. Lovers suffers from trying to stuff way too many subplots in and doesn't develop any of them enough, Devil just... stops before the central conflict is resolved and Tower just feels like it covers the same ground as Star but with less content and more filler.

Zore fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 13, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, right. Finished the game on normal. 88 hours. Looking forward to this thread no longer reading like a CIA document.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

100k is a lot, Fortune Lady

I'm broke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm broke
it feels kind of like the game is expecting you to confuse midbosses honestly. not for 30 minutes at a time, but it's definitely expecting to you to drop it on them while you kill them.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Keep extorting until they summon someone, then ask for money again.
I got 40,000 yen in one encounter in Palace 3 just by rolling well against one of the dogs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Gorp posted:

Keep extorting until they summon someone, then ask for money again.
I got 40,000 yen in one encounter in Palace 3 just by rolling well against one of the dogs.
i didnt know you got to keep the money if they summoned someone

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has anyone picked up any of the theme /av bundle they're selling in the store? I'm wondering if any of the themes are good or worth getting.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Has anyone picked up any of the theme /av bundle they're selling in the store? I'm wondering if any of the themes are good or worth getting.

I have the Ann theme/avatar. I like it at least.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i confused a momentos miniboss and he threw 80k yen every turn while i beat him up until i had 1 mil yen

then i spent it all fusing up super high personas

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

i confused a momentos miniboss and he threw 80k yen every turn while i beat him up until i had 1 mil yen

then i spent it all fusing up super high personas

I went to Mementos on a flu day in December and it owned, you can farm money off the minibosses and exp off the reaper and blow out the power curve for the rest of the game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ah hell, i'll do it. It's not like having money really breaks the game any

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Serf posted:

Palace 3 wasn't so bad. Did the whole thing in one shot, and liked the actual puzzle-solving more than things in the previous 2 dungeons. gently caress the enemies though. Those Oni without elemental weaknesses were such bullshit. At the same time though, I think the game is encouraging you to mess around with status effects, and it quickly becomes apparent that you can lock down dudes without hitting a weakness. Morgana's Lucky Punch also saved my bacon a ton of times when I wanted to get an All-Out Attack.

Looking forward to having 15 days of free time to make anime friends.

I discovered late in the palace that Ryuji hitting dudes with that attack that does brainwash, then following up with a Psi attack will one-shot the Oni. The rakshasas can be Mahouka'ed or whatever which is easy if you got a Regent in Palace 2.

edit: forgetful, not brainwash

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 13, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

I made about 100k yen knocking out Palace 3, so once I get the doctor up to the next level I should be able to buy 3 SP Adhesives for even more dungeon-crawling ability. I got a persona with Confuse, so the next time I head into Mementos I'll be busting that trick out.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm broke

It's worth it for the boosts

Though those are 5k each, this game puts a lot of pressure on your wallet compared to p3/p4

Playing on Safe difficulty makes it so you get 5x money drops so the devs knew

Serf
May 5, 2011

Levantine posted:

I discovered late in the palace that Ryuji hitting dudes with that attack that does brainwash, then following up with a Psi attack will one-shot the Oni. The rakshasas can be Mahouka'ed or whatever which is easy if you got a Regent in Palace 2.

edit: forgetful, not brainwash

Forget or whatever rules. Ryuji also got a physical spell that has a chance to inflict Despair on the whole enemy team which, as it turns out, loving rules.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I fused the moon dude who learns pulinpa and confuse boost into level 26 Isis with 16 Luck. I hope that's decent enough for some cas

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lakbay posted:

It's worth it for the boosts

Though those are 5k each, this game puts a lot of pressure on your wallet compared to p3/p4

Money is pretty easy to come by if you spend a little extra time on it. Even doing one-day rushes to the Treasures, i usually have resources left to go grind some negotiations from the earlier parts of them. I think when I beat the boss finally I had something like 250k between negotiation and treasure.

The later sun link makes it a bit harder to grind money from negotiations but now that I know about the confuse trick I'm going to abuse it in Momentos.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Serf posted:

Forget or whatever rules. Ryuji also got a physical spell that has a chance to inflict Despair on the whole enemy team which, as it turns out, loving rules.

Despair is absurdly good the best of times. Then at level 35 you can get Arahabaki who repels Phys and Gun AND starts with the MT Despair spell and everything dies forever. :getin:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dragonatrix posted:

Despair is absurdly good the best of times. Then at level 35 you can get Arahabaki who repels Phys and Gun AND starts with the MT Despair spell and everything dies forever. :getin:

Even better if you make him from Piscasa who gets despair boost at level 33.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I went through almost the entire game without touching the Emperor confidant simply because I couldn't find him. Then I realized you can use your detective vision in the city and the square button the map to show where and who are available.

Does the Sun guy completely disappear after a certain date? I'm at 11/11 and I haven't seen him available for about a week. I'm stuck at rank 9.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game tried to fool me into thinking Tanaka wasn't in this game. Then I found the laptop and all is right in the world.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
This might have been asked already, but do I start the rank with Sadayo Kawakami ?

I've done the house maid scene with her. And apparently she's meant to be hanging around at some location in the school. But I can't find her.

I'm mid way through June now and I really want to initiate a confidant path with her as I've heard her skills are super handy for time efficiency.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had a brief moment where I wondered if I was rushing through too much because I've played like 30 hours of this since Saturday, and then I realized I'm still in June and have like six months to go and I'm only like a quarter of the way through.

I'm, uh, taking my time, comparatively.

Godface posted:

And apparently she's meant to be hanging around at some location in the school. But I can't find her.

She's near the faculty office on the third floor.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Knowing when the game ends now the final few months feel super hectic and I don't know how they're going to cram all the plot in (I'm in late october)

I barely remember P3's plot but I think it did the same thing, P4 was a really slow burn the whole way through if I remember that correctly too

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

She's near the faculty office on the third floor.
As a barbaric and uncivilised Australian, the idea of a school building having three whole floors is consistently mind-boggling to me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The rooms being named 3-X on floor 1 and 1-X on floor 3 bothered my US sensibilities to an extreme degree

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, confusing enemies gets you money? I thought that money just got wasted instead of going to you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Knowing when the game ends now the final few months feel super hectic and I don't know how they're going to cram all the plot in (I'm in late october)

I barely remember P3's plot but I think it did the same thing, P4 was a really slow burn the whole way through if I remember that correctly too

From what I remember of Persona 4, it sorta felt like you didn't make any actual progress on solving the mystery until towards the end, when you have some rapid-fire, "Oh, no, Nanako! Okay, this guy did it. Wait, no he didn't. This guy did it!" stuff. Then the epilogue pseudo-secret dungeon and true ending on the last day in March.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lakbay posted:

P3 barely had a story to speak of until the 12th Arcana boss was defeated, at which point it went into overdrive right until the end. P4 was way better in terms of pacing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
As I play I find there are a few annoyances that could be solved in a re-release. The Morgana stuff is obvious, but my biggest complaint is how much talking the group has to do before you can interact with a thing. 3rd palace: You have to input those codes into the ATMs in the vault. So you interact, have a conversation where everyone chimes in. Then you have to interact with it AGAIN and they need to tell you again once before you actually get to input the code. First time, sure, but every single one? I'd prefer more of that dialog to be environmental while you're running around, not dialog boxes that completely stop the action. There are too many things that function that way and it is a minor frustration but frustrating all the same.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The rooms being named 3-X on floor 1 and 1-X on floor 3 bothered my US sensibilities to an extreme degree
Is that not the names of the classes the rooms belong to?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It is but I'm used to floors on floor 1 being 1XX, floor 2 being 2XX, etc everywhere I've been

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The second person narration in P4 is, imo, much better than first person thoughts + That loving Cat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

From what I remember of Persona 4, it sorta felt like you didn't make any actual progress on solving the mystery until towards the end, when you have some rapid-fire, "Oh, no, Nanako! Okay, this guy did it. Wait, no he didn't. This guy did it!" stuff. Then the epilogue pseudo-secret dungeon and true ending on the last day in March.

P4 was a episodic Scooby Doo show down to Adachi saying "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids and that stupid bear" after each dungeon. Naoto then shows up and then the game finally decides to catch Adachi and then you fight Izanami because you shook hands and she got offended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

For being an abusive boyfriend, he sure has a lot of Dough