Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

FAILING AGENTS OF SHIELD #1 IN TIME SLOT WITH MOST MAJOR DEMOGRAPHIC

https://twitter.com/ABC_Publicity/status/852206814263431168?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

SAD!

(serious aside, what a loving fantastic episode for the show to get a ratings peak at.)

So much of the rest of the season set up this really exciting story arc -- an alternate reality works best when you have had a lot of time with the "regular" version of characters. We get Mace being kinda John Wayne, Coulson being a confused fanboy, truly terrible Fitz, and for once Jemma has to fight for Fitz rather than the other way around. And whoever cast Mallory Jansen is very good, very lucky, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

A villain can make or break a season of television these days. Just look at Legends of Tomorrow. One of the major problems with Season 1 was that Savage was so incredibly boring. Season 2 gave us the beauty that is the Legion of Doom and it was so much better. And yeah, Aida/Madame Hydra has been brilliant. So, so creepy and sinister as an LMD, now just bloody scary.

One question I had about last week's actually, the whole thing with Vijay Nadeer seems kind of strangely set up. Like, he was just really in the 1 episode earlier in the season, wasn't he? When his sister left him for dead at the bottom of the ocean. Then we saw him possibly get cocooned again (or somehow brought back to life by his powers). He never showed up again in the real world after that, did he?

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 13, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What a small viewerbase. I'm shocked they just approved a second season.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

One question I had about last week's actually, the whole thing with Vijay Nadeer seems kind of strangely set up. Like, he was just really in the 1 episode earlier in the season, wasn't he? When his sister left him for dead at the bottom of the ocean. Then we saw him possibly get cocooned again (or somehow brought back to life by his powers). He never showed up again in the real world after that, did he?

Yeah, it is kind of weird they set him up coming back in the "real world" and then his next appearance is in the Framework. I have faith in the writers that they'll bring him back around in the real world eventually, especially since Yo-Yo and the Superior are still out there.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How many more episodes are left this season?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
22-episode season, we just passed 17.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a shame that we're not getting any more Ghost Rider though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Maybe we can crowdfund an entire season of CGI for Ghost Rider.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Apoplexy posted:

FAILING AGENTS OF SHIELD #1 IN TIME SLOT WITH MOST MAJOR DEMOGRAPHIC

https://twitter.com/ABC_Publicity/status/852206814263431168?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

SAD!

(serious aside, what a loving fantastic episode for the show to get a ratings peak at.)

False(ish) news! It tied a rerun of NCIS: New Orleans in the key demo, and got demolished in terms of total viewership (6.6 million to 2.3)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, it is kind of weird they set him up coming back in the "real world" and then his next appearance is in the Framework. I have faith in the writers that they'll bring him back around in the real world eventually, especially since Yo-Yo and the Superior are still out there.

Yeah, like Graviton.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

howe_sam posted:

False(ish) news! It tied a rerun of NCIS: New Orleans in the key demo, and got demolished in terms of total viewership (6.6 million to 2.3)

Seems like real news to me.

NCIS has the advantage of the old people who watch it not knowing how to change their channel from CBS.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, this is the 18-49 demo. If you count the old pieces of retarded poo poo that watch NCIS and FoxNews, yeah, things will radically shift. But AoS getting a big win right there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, this is the 18-49 demo. If you count the old pieces of retarded poo poo that watch NCIS and FoxNews, yeah, things will radically shift. But AoS getting a big win right there.

:ssh: The 18-49 demo is the key demo that howe_sam was talking about.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dexo posted:

Seems like real news to me.

Sure, but at the same time the truth isn't quite as impressive as the headline claims. It didn't win the time slot outright, it was up against two reruns, etc.

Don't get me wrong, a .7 is great, and if they can keep the L+SD rating there it's good news for the show, especially when the DVR numbers roll in.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

Sure, but at the same time the truth isn't quite as impressive as the headline claims. It didn't win the time slot outright, it was up against two reruns, etc.

Don't get me wrong, a .7 is great, and if they can keep the L+SD rating there it's good news for the show, especially when the DVR numbers roll in.

Nah it's gonna be cancelled just like Seasons 2-4 :v:

quote:

The only thing I heard in my head this entire sequence was DUN DUN DUN DAHT DAH DUN DAHT DAH DUN

which makes Fitz Vader and I'm ok with that

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RareAcumen posted:

That was Radcliffe's original rationalization and since AIDA has no imagination she's just continuing that work. How things got flipped turned upside down like this though is beyond me.

In Radcliffe's closet born and raised
With the Darkhold is how I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And I was replacing some agents inside of SHIELD
When a couple of spies who were up to no good
Started making trouble in the server room
I got beheaded once and the Doc got scared
He said "You're movin' with Agnes and May into the Framework"

I whistled for a sub and when it came near
The license plate said "Superior" and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this sub was rare
But I thought, "You're a head now. Yo, guard this computer."

I LMDed SHIELD agents, about 7 or 8,
And I yelled to Radcliffe, "Yo doc, kill ya later."
I looked at my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as Madame Hydra

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

What a small viewerbase. I'm shocked they just approved a second season.

SHIELD is a show I will use an example for years for how if you lose people in the first half of the first season, no matter how loving awesome you get after that, it will always be a struggle.

If AoS opened up with anything remotely resembling it's current quality level it'd probably be doing extremely well. But man, getting people to give it a second shot is like pulling teeth.

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah it's gonna be cancelled just like Seasons 2-4 :v:

I don't know, I wouldn't get too comfortable or blame the nay sayers that much. The show's survived on brand and with Netflix a proven success (outside of the painfully mediocre Iron Fist) it's been something of a odd man out. I REALLY hope we get a season 5, but I can't blame people who are concerned we won't.

Hell I consider the 2nd season of Agent Carter to be a miracle it happened at all. That show.. I don't know why that show bombed. It was awesome and it started pretty good. I kind of look at Carter as a miniseries, you can absolutely watch it get most plots wrapped up satisfyingly. Though the whole "Can't have kids" thing they dropped with Jarvis's wife at the end will probably dangle forever, that's pretty drat minor.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 13, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

SHIELD is a show I will use an example for years for how if you lose people in the first half of the first season, no matter how loving awesome you get after that, it will always be a struggle.

If AoS opened up with anything remotely resembling it's current quality level it'd probably be doing extremely well. But man, getting people to give it a second shot is like pulling teeth.

Yeah that's how it goes. I'm a perfect example of that because I watched like five episodes of Supergirl and I can't work up the motivation to get back into it despite hearing that it largely improved. I mean...My god that Red Tornado outfit.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hell I consider the 2nd season of Agent Carter to be a miracle it happened at all. That show.. I don't know why that show bombed. It was awesome and it started pretty good. I kind of look at Carter as a miniseries, you can absolutely watch it get most plots wrapped up satisfyingly. Though the whole "Can't have kids" thing they dropped with Jarvis's wife at the end will probably dangle forever, that's pretty drat minor.

I think the reasons previously covered was that Carter was bizarrely restrictive in how you could watch episodes or something.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

7. Skye's name is literally Daisy Johnson in her files. It's not a mystery.

Did that happen? I might be misremembering, but I thought in ep. 16 Skye Googled herself and the Hydra database came back with 'no such person'. When did we see her file?

My understanding of the 'biggest regret' business is that it's being played straight. The best way to keep people in the framework is to make them not fight against it. May, Fitz, Mac, Agnes, and Mace seem to be living 'happy' lives (for a given value of happy) before Skye and Jemma show up. Coulson is a special case because TAHITI made him resistant to the conditioning, but even he's living out his fantasy of being a high school history teacher. The world isn't utopia, but it's also not a world they feel any desire to 'escape' from. Like, look at what people are saying about Mac... he has his Hope back, I'm not convinced he's in any hurry to sacrifice her as a way of beating HYDRA.

Jemma and Skye snuck in, so they didn't get any 'regret fixing'. That's why Skye is with Ward, not because it's her secret desire or anything, but because that's how the simulation played out. That said, I would love to learn more about Framework Skye, and find out how she wound up with HYDRA in the first place. She's not really a 'joiner' in real life (as evidenced by her quitting SHIELD like what, 5 times in four seasons?)

God I'm loving this show so much right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RareAcumen posted:

That was Radcliffe's original rationalization and since AIDA has no imagination she's just continuing that work. How things got flipped turned upside down like this though is beyond me.

It wasn't even Radcliffe's original rationalization. His original rationalization was that the Framework is better than reality because its essentially an afterlife for the consciousness. The whole thing was about giving his girlfriend eternal life.

He only got to "fix your regrets" because they couldn't get May to accept the Framework so Radcliffe decided that addressing her biggest regret would bring her a leave of peace that would make her stop questioning and fighting.

There was never any rule that said everyone's regrets had to be fixed. Aida's orders are to preserve life, and as she made clear when she killed Radcliffe she deems everything up to and including killing the person as fair game to getting them in the framework where she and Radcliffe deemed "life" most prolonged. She's got no driving order to make them feel good and she pretty much confirmed that in her justification to Radcliffe this episode.

RareAcumen posted:

They came after Mack for that drone Hope foolishly decided to customize and disassemble into a hoverdrone of her own. She doesn't know who any of these people are, she's just using them because they're there and Skye's being so bizarrely friendly with them so they must be useful if utilized properly. Plus it makes sure that they toe the line in the future as well.

That doesn't really make sense considering that May and Daisy were directly ordered to scoop up Mack by Aida herself. Madame Hydra isn't that interested in missing broken drones and there's no way it was just coincidence that this all happened at the same time that she also targeted Jemma and Caulson.

The simplest answer is that when Aida found out Jemma was in the Framework she scooped up the rest of the SHIELD Agents to test to see if they were "woke" too.

But as I said, I do like the "May's woke" theory and am pulling for that one.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, the way they've handled Vijay plays line a long tease. They seem like they're purposely setting us up to anticipate his real role in this story/series and his powers.

Yakmouth posted:

Did that happen? I might be misremembering, but I thought in ep. 16 Skye Googled herself and the Hydra database came back with 'no such person'. When did we see her file?
Yeah, the original poster is wrong. The entire point of Skye's story was that she entered SHIELD to try and find her information and they didn't have it. She only got the "Daisy" name from Calvin. Aida could have rewrite that, which she could have but that still means her directing interceding. And the fact that she's going as "Skye" suggests it didn't happen before now.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 13, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

For some reason, period pieces are usually tough. Maybe even a small part being period piece *starring a woman*. It's too bad that the international rights to it became a clusterfuck and eventually prevented it from continuing on in Netflix. Even though S2 was a bit of a mess, cast performances were really strong and S1 was solid.

Preview for next week's episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DWqee3634

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Chokes McGee posted:

The only thing I heard in my head this entire sequence was DUN DUN DUN DAHT DAH DUN DAHT DAH DUN

which makes Fitz Vader and I'm ok with that

The whole caped-villain-with-black-clad-troops-confronts-tortured-genius-on-remote-settlement bit was very Rogue One opening scene and I loved it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, I liked Sarah Carter but it was a really slow show that struck a kind of strange tone with its period/vaguely linking to the AOS/MCU thing. Carter herself was the only part of it that really kept me hooked. Well, and their older Black Widow, I guess.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I think Agent Carter would have worked better if it had leaned more heavily into it's time period. The first two episodes of season 1 were crazy good, but I don't think the rest of the show ever really lived up to its promise. It became too generic, in my opinion.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

STAC Goat posted:

Like, I liked Sarah Carter but it was a really slow show that struck a kind of strange tone with its period/vaguely linking to the AOS/MCU thing. Carter herself was the only part of it that really kept me hooked. Well, and their older Black Widow, I guess.

You just mixed Sarah Connor with Peggy Carter, and now I want a Terminator set in the MCU series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm very, very stupid with names and I invert them like that all the time. I really can't explain it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Apoplexy posted:

You just mixed Sarah Connor with Peggy Carter, and now I want a Terminator set in the MCU series.

No, Sarah Carter is the one on Mars (because it needs moms).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I'm very, very stupid with names and I invert them like that all the time. I really can't explain it.

This is why so many of Stan Lees creations have alliterative names : Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sebastian Stan

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, I wouldn't get too comfortable or blame the nay sayers that much. The show's survived on brand and with Netflix a proven success (outside of the painfully mediocre Iron Fist) it's been something of a odd man out. I REALLY hope we get a season 5, but I can't blame people who are concerned we won't.

My point was more I too can say I called a show being on its final season if I say it'll be canceled every season

SHIELD being under threat of being canned is demonstrably white noise at this point and yet every single time someone says it I :ohdear: immediately.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't know this show is back on but the last time I saw it, there was Ghost Rider and ghosts and the not!necronomica?

How much did I miss, because just skimming this thread it looks like a lot happened?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It sounds like you saw the first third of the season and missed the second, which were separate (but linked) stories. This is now the third.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is why so many of Stan Lees creations have alliterative names : Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sebastian Stan

I knew there was something off about Sebastian Stan!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

I knew there was something off about Sebastian Stan!

He's no Bucky Barnes, that's for sure.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Agent Carter was so good

Peggy is great
Jarvis is great

And goddamn Howard Stark is great. hitting golf balls into a dark matter black hole. what a guy

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BlueBayou posted:

Agent Carter was so good

Peggy is great
Jarvis is Jarvelous

And goddamn Howard Stark is great. hitting golf balls into a dark matter black hole. what a guy

FTFY

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let's not act like Iain De Caestecker being awesome is something new with this villain storyline. He's been the MVP of this show since arguably Ward turned. From his hate of Ward to doing his character with brain damage and hallucinations to globetrotting to find a way to rescue Simmons to actually going across the universe to rescue her. Iain to me has consistently been the best part of a really good show. The kid's got serious chops.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

X-O posted:

Let's not act like Iain De Caestecker being awesome is something new with this villain storyline. He's been the MVP of this show since arguably Ward turned. From his hate of Ward to doing his character with brain damage and hallucinations to globetrotting to find a way to rescue Simmons to actually going across the universe to rescue her. Iain to me has consistently been the best part of a really good show. The kid's got serious chops.

Yeah, I've been a big fan of his since the show The Fades

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think I could make a case for any of the leads, really. Mack might be the only exception, and that's not a knock against him just that he's had a little less to work with. But all the original members have run a gauntlet of emotions and stories and some really cool action.

Its a very fun show.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

X-O posted:

I wasn't a big fan of Brain Damage Fitz, tbh... you're right that De Caestecker nailed the role, but it really wasn't a role I was interested in watching. Most shows do this: recognize strong acting and 'reward' it by running the actor's character through the wringer over and over and over. While I get the impulse, I really miss happy-go-lucky, awkward Fitz from season 1. As good as this arc has been, what I'm not looking forward to is the half of season 5 (fingers crossed) he spends being emo and mopey because of the horrible things he did in the framework.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in a show like this, someone needs to be the team cheerleader. Radcliffe actually was really good for that, but he's likely out. I don't want to see SHIELD get too angsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I stopped watching this right around when coulson and bob got yanked back through the portal and the robot glowed evil cause it read a book. Did it ever get better? It feels like this season was pretty uneven and I just wanted bill paxton to come back because every episode with him was gold

• Locked thread