Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Elliptical Dick posted:

Fuuuuck I can't seem to improve enough to consistently qualify for weekend league and I want in on those sweet rewards again. I played twice and did reasonably well both times (win rate just over 50%) but I can't seem to get into division 1 or get through a goddamn DKO tournament.

I play 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 (4) depending on which I lost with last:

Cech
Coleman-Mustafi-Koscielny-Monreal
Ramsey-Cazorla-Eriksen
Sanchez-Firmino-Mane

Mostly I think I'm just a bad player. I can't pull off skill moves worth a drat for example but I was wondering if you guys see an obvious upgrade in my squad somewhere. Thanks in advance for any tips

Bellerin, Valencia or Clyne at rb, Rose or Shaw at lb. Smalling over Koscielny (yes he is legitimately much better). Your midfield is far too weak and has next to no defense. Play Eriksen at CAM and ditch Cazorla. For your CM options I would look at Kante, Herrera, Henderson, Dembele and Can and decide what you like (there are better more expensive options but all these players are good). Personally I would run with Henderson and Dembele (except I have MOTM Kante now who starts) though Kante is a great pick up and will single handedly up your midfield defense by an order of magnitude. So if your'e struggling with defense try him. Your front three is alright though I've never seen much out of Firmino. His IF is good but the nif seems a little too underpowered. If you get on with Sanchez that's great, but he's pricey, a bit weak and has poo poo workrates. nif martial might be a better option for you. I don't know much about EPL strikers since I only try to use certain players from there in hybrids but SIF Benteke is absolutely amazing for the price and would probably instantly net you more goals (remember to mash LT on challenges with strong strikers to win the ball)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't worry a ton about skill moves, if you can just get the hang of the reverse body feint and fake shot (especially scoop turn) that's probably all you really need, the stop and turn/McGeady spin is a good one too but beyond that I hardly ever use them

Just try to get really good at passing, and I would say one big thing this year is like don't be afraid to just use normal A passes (or X on PS4) in the box when you're like on a break and it's say 2 on 2 not including the goalie, if you get in that position. You'll be really tempted to use a through ball or a lob or whatever but just try using the normal pass and doing a one-time shot, it's really good this year and your guys will like back up and especially if the defender is still running forward, the ball coming slowly actually is better than like a driven pass that he might still be in the area to knock away.

Here's a good tutorial on passing that's actually from 16 when passing was way harder, this is most of what I try to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_-oJdyWz8

One thing people don't really do enough is just pass it back straight to the guy who just did the pass, if you just pass it around with one touch passes a lot, it makes it really hard for the opponent to pressure you because they have to constantly be switching defenders and it's actually really hard to keep selecting the guy you want on defense over and over without accidentally leaving any gaps, especially if you are using the second man press. Someone who can actually tiki taka it around the field and build up through mostly passing is in my opinion a lot harder to deal with than someone who mostly dribbles and only passes when he gets near a defender.

And like by passing it back and forth all the time you are making the defense constantly readjust its coverage and they have to keep changing back and forth between what angles they're defending and eventually it's going to buy time for someone to slip through. I'll try and upload a game where I feel like I'm doing this pretty well and point out like how you can see guys off the ball getting into better positions while I'm buying time passing it between 2-3 guys in a triangle. I could do the same thing by just shielding it but it's way easier for the defense to deal with because they only have one person to collapse on and they don't have to worry about switching players while defending.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 6, 2017

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Cheers guys, I picked up Herrera and Shaw and promoted Bellerin from the bench, and the few matches I played after I got in way less trouble with runners in behind and Herrera is pretty good at intercepting. I'm thinking of picking up another midfielder to replace Ramsey. Gueye seems pretty good for cheap. I switched to sticking with the 4-3-3 (4) so I could play Eriksen in position. Toyed with the idea of setting up a 4-3-1-2 but that's not ideal with the forwards I have.

I really like Koscielny though he seems pretty solid. But would you definitely drop him before Mustafi?

I try to play a passing game because skill moves and dribbling isn't really my thing anyway but I find it really hard to find guys that are open against opponents that press a lot. Any ideas on how to counter that?

Thanks for the tips it already seems to be paying off a bit.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

Cheers guys, I picked up Herrera and Shaw and promoted Bellerin from the bench, and the few matches I played after I got in way less trouble with runners in behind and Herrera is pretty good at intercepting. I'm thinking of picking up another midfielder to replace Ramsey. Gueye seems pretty good for cheap. I switched to sticking with the 4-3-3 (4) so I could play Eriksen in position. Toyed with the idea of setting up a 4-3-1-2 but that's not ideal with the forwards I have.

I really like Koscielny though he seems pretty solid. But would you definitely drop him before Mustafi?

I try to play a passing game because skill moves and dribbling isn't really my thing anyway but I find it really hard to find guys that are open against opponents that press a lot. Any ideas on how to counter that?

Yea Ramsey is overrated for the stats. I really do like Dembele, enough defense for a CM and on top of being slick on the ball he's super strong. Gueye or Kante would definitely be great as well though. Since you said you had IF Mustafi I thought that's who you meant and I'd rate him over Koscielny just based on the stats, just put anchor on him. If not him, Koscielny and Smalling is a good pairing, but you need Smalling. As for general gameplanning I mostly play a 433(4) as well and I try to pass and dribble quite a bit. I always put my Striker on stay central and get in behind though, I find it pretty crucial (unless I'm using a specific type of striker, for instance I'll use just stay central on a player like SIF Villa who's a bit slow but has great passing so he can bring wingers and the midfield into play with his passing stats instead of just running, or with very strong + tall slow strikers I'll use stay central + target man to shield the ball and play in other players short). I use a lot of interplay with the CAM and striker generally and trigger a lot of runs to look for passes. I'll also play it to the wing to threaten crosses or dribble across the top of the box to pick out a run. I rarely dribble looking to score with a winger all the way from the wing this year. As for high pressure opponents, shielding with strong players is your friend as is playing long throughballs to your wingers who will be open a lot and can score or play balls across the goal.

e- The reason I don't rate Koscielny is because he's just not strong enough at the top level. He's very good and capable but if you come up against your Lukaku's Benteke's or even just 80-85 strength strikers he'll get sent tumbling a lot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Elliptical Dick posted:

Here's another video about beating high pressure from the same youtuber (I think despite not making many videos he's one of the best skill wise and plays in a way that people can emulate because he doesn't spam skill moves or anything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ZrTyKRoSU&t=275s

One thing you have to get used to is like if you are running forward and your teammate is running forward, and there's a defender like literally in between you, maybe like a step behind the guy you are passing to, you don't actually have to use a through ball. If you use a regular pass, it will still lead it a bit if it has to sometimes. It's hard to get used to like which times this will work and which won't but if you can learn like when it'll actually lead your guy you'll be able to tell when people are open a lot better.

One thing to just try for awhile, like just to learn what you can get away with, is like every time you pass it to someone, if you don't have a lot of space where you know FOR SURE you can turn forward and not get tackled and you don't have an immediately obvious next pass, just pass it straight back to the person who just passed it, one touch. You'll notice that a lot of times you think your guy is covered but actually after he passed it he took a step forward and now you can get it back to him and he's open. It's kinda weird but you'll see what I mean. Also notice like a lot of times you'll now have new options you didn't have before because people got in position during that time where you passed it back and forth, and new opportunities came up.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 6, 2017

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Heh no I'm a scrub without IF's and like 50k coins so I'm looking for pretty cheap upgrades atm

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Koscielny is good enough to keep (I'm replacing him today after using him for months, he's done well for me), but Smalling is one of the best 4 or 5 defenders in the game and should replace mustafi IMO.

Definitely do pick up Kante, or Gueye who will work as a Kante-esque replacement.

e: Also, I'm replacing Koscielny with the Birthday Ogbonna card which on paper looks like he should be one of the best in the game, so we'll see.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 7, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I did it

I played and won 6 games in a row on friday morning.
Closest I'll ever get to that kind of finish, I'm sure.

Also, Ogbonna is good as hell so far, would recommend.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Stefan Prodan posted:

Here's another video about beating high pressure from the same youtuber (I think despite not making many videos he's one of the best skill wise and plays in a way that people can emulate because he doesn't spam skill moves or anything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ZrTyKRoSU&t=275s

One thing you have to get used to is like if you are running forward and your teammate is running forward, and there's a defender like literally in between you, maybe like a step behind the guy you are passing to, you don't actually have to use a through ball. If you use a regular pass, it will still lead it a bit if it has to sometimes. It's hard to get used to like which times this will work and which won't but if you can learn like when it'll actually lead your guy you'll be able to tell when people are open a lot better.

One thing to just try for awhile, like just to learn what you can get away with, is like every time you pass it to someone, if you don't have a lot of space where you know FOR SURE you can turn forward and not get tackled and you don't have an immediately obvious next pass, just pass it straight back to the person who just passed it, one touch. You'll notice that a lot of times you think your guy is covered but actually after he passed it he took a step forward and now you can get it back to him and he's open. It's kinda weird but you'll see what I mean. Also notice like a lot of times you'll now have new options you didn't have before because people got in position during that time where you passed it back and forth, and new opportunities came up.

So I did this and it did definitely get me into more scoring positions. Too bad I still shipped 3 to draw 3-3. But I definitely feel like if I shore up my defense things will get a lot better.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

I did it

I played and won 6 games in a row on friday morning.
Closest I'll ever get to that kind of finish, I'm sure.

Also, Ogbonna is good as hell so far, would recommend.

Nice, I'm having a really good start this week too, I lost my first game but then I've won 7 in a row.

I think this is my best goal so far since my opponent was completely set up on defense and I had to take him apart with a ton of passes.

If I were like a 10/10 pro player I might have seen that I could take one more pass at the very end to get it to Aubameyang instead of Muller because the CB stepped up at me, but it was still a good play I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8b4HJFisLQ

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
that was very well worked, great patience

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
11-3 now, takin a break for a bit, best start in awhile. Maybe I'll get to Elite again this week?

Edit: 13-4, beat a guy who had the literal entire La Liga part of TOTY on pens so that was cool

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 8, 2017

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
parmos therapy ya'll
https://youtu.be/XBBnQKNCCLI

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aagh weekend league is the worst, lol

I went from 13-4 to loving 14-12, on a 1-8 run where I lost 6 games in extra time.

Just gonna be happy if I get gold 2 again I guess, but man, I was really hoping to keep goin strong but I think I'm running super bad luck-wise

Maybe next week as far as gettin to 30.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I just realized that after my mass selling and totw sbc spamming my 5 highest rated strikers are all league sbc rewards :popeye:

If I didn't build a french/bpl hybrid around lacazette I'd be hosed

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man after starting 13-4 I got 22 wins again lol

It's my magic number somehow, I'm pretty sure I've won exactly 22/40 games in like 75% of the weekend leagues I've done, I dunno why

I do feel like I'm getting better though, I lost 6 absolute heartbreakers in a row that were like all in extra time and all on really long shots or corners or weird bounces or whatever, and for a few of them I changed my squad around by making a copy and forgot it would erase all my instructions and custom tactics so I had a way harder time doing anything for like 7 games and didn't know hwy

Still just hoping to average like 25-30 from here on out

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So i ran into pretty close to the best possible team in the game today.

I lost 1-3, when I saw the team I thought "well poo poo hopefully it's just some rich rear end in a top hat and not a top 100 player" and idk about the rich rear end in a top hat part but he was definitely a top100 player, finished top 100 with a best of 34 every month through january when it looks like he stopped playing as much.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Where can you look that up?

Also yeah it's crazy this year that a fully stacked team like that might not mean "horrible rear end tier player" like it always did before haha

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Futwiz has a fut champs thing where you can look up players but it only shows people who have been in the top 100 at some point.

http://www.futwiz.com/en/fut-champions

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm at 5-2. I thought today would be an ok time to play a bit but the lag was awful last night and this afternoon. It's annoying how the gameplay is so much of a crapshoot for me compared to previous years.

So I wanted to use the Sow + Podolski + Sneijder trio when the cards first came out but I didn't have many coins and both Podolski and Sow looked too expensive for 85s. Luckily Podolski's 86 is better and is much cheaper than his 85 was. Interestingly enough, the thing that is swaying me to shell out all the coins for the front two was after looking at futbin for a bit (I only have Podolski atm). Using their new aggregated player stats I sorted all the strikers in the database with over 100,000 games played (good enough sample size imo, 10k and less is too small I think) and sorted them by goals scored. The results are that Sow has the 3rd best goal to game ratio out of any player after both IF striker Ronaldos and 85 Podolski has the 7th most scored. Here's the top 10

You can mess around with the filters yourself and check it out but it's pretty interesting. Also pretty interesting is that I've called Tevez a steaming pile of poo poo all game and even said that the stats on his card simply don't add up.

Seltzer posted:

Tevez has been dog poo poo for me this year which is weird since his stats are still really good.

Seltzer posted:

For the record I picked up IF Tevez because I thought it was worth giving him another chance/I could keep it and the card would go up since it will be his last IF. I got him with Hunter and he was absolute trash. Avoid at all costs. It felt just like his normal card but with better passing. It's bizarre that he can have those stats and be so bad in game. The card is legit broken but in a bad way.

Futbins stats vindicated my thoughts on the matter. Tevez is the 4th worst striker with over 100k games played and the only ones ahead of him are players like IF Stindl and Siguršsson who were definitely converted to CAM which explains their lower stats. You could argue that people play tevez at CAM but nifs converted to CAM is usually very rare and when I looked there were only 3 of his nif in that position and pages on pages at striker. He's so poo poo it's amazing.

That's the bottom 10. You can see a lot of IFs that would get converted into CAMs in there.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
My best start ever actually turned into my best finish ever, 28 wins.

I dropped two games in my last ten that I really shouldn't have, so close to elite.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They released the Bundesliga SBC, it's a Lewandowsi that's actually 3 points worse than his top card, but I bought all these players so might as well try him out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

They released the Bundesliga SBC, it's a Lewandowsi that's actually 3 points worse than his top card, but I bought all these players so might as well try him out

Yeah I had to shell out an extra 100k but I reckon I'll make ~150k back on packs. I can't see how the card won't be amazing. I want the Ross Mccormack card to link up with the Leigh Griffiths card but gently caress having bidwars over silver cards in 24 teams to do it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as much as I love goon favorite Modeste I only had to put up maybe 70k more to get him and I mean it is a full 6 overall better including one more weak foot star which I will probably use more than power header, and much higher dribbling and passing

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha, I played two games and in the second one I scored 2 goals with Lewa and the opponent sent me a message afterwards that said "fifa coins trash"

Feels good since I haven't bought a coin since like 09

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

What sort of custom tactics do you tiki-taka passers use?

I've recently made the switch from the through balls to the sweaty players tactic that dominated previous FIFAs (but not this one it seems).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Woah, they're finally changed the monthly reward system a bit:

https://twitter.com/DailyRender/status/852162892233416706

Awesome, gonna get 5 gold cards for last month.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

About time. Still kind of crappy but whatever. I know they can't just hand out rewards like candy but I think all silver finishers should get one gold card. I beat the WL qualifiers in 1-2 tries each week but I don't have time to play much on the weekend so I've been getting 1 poo poo silver for my troubles. Meanwhile people worse than me going 18-22 each week have been rewarded. Also Hazard and Son in the totw and one of them will probably get POTM. I might pick up Son's 86 st card now because in the stats that matter it's virtually identical and he's set to get a skill upgrade and might be needed in a potm.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's a good move. Actually most of the stuff they've done with WL in regards to like responding to requests has been pretty good, to be honest.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Qualified in my first try with Lewa leading the spear of a 433(4). He's very good and better than SBC Higuain but he didn't feel outrageous/next level like SBC El Sharaawy or Ronaldo or the like. Still very good though. I feel compelled to say that everyone with a Bundesliga squad needs to seriously consider fut birthday Kuba. I am having a poo poo ton of success with the card and he's performing way better than OTW Dembele for me. He's getting overlooked because of the 3* 3* and h/h work rates but let me tell you the guy is always where you want him to be on offense and defense and has been clinical for me (scored 4 goals in the campaign). The best part is he can play from CM to RW. I don't think I should be having to hype up a card with 94 pace, 78 strength, and 86 dribbling but here we are. Give him a shot, he's going for pennies but I'd gladly pay 100k for that card and I think he's the best RW in the Bundesliga that I've tried (all of them except Robben). You can trust me, I started the Modeste hype-train.

Bonus- Enjoy this amazing goal line tech

https://streamable.com/bn8d3

The images might not capture it but it was 100% completely over the line and I could even tell in real time.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 13, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man, I've been trying to sort of get the most out of Lewa by crossing and stuff but I still can't really ever find crosses to be very effective. For a bit I was getting decent success turning around and doing inswinging crosses but I still feel like crosses are a super low % of scoring nowadays, even with like a good physical striker up there.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I had a good goal line tech moment last week too:

I lost this game 0-1

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Seltzer posted:

Qualified in my first try with Lewa leading the spear of a 433(4). He's very good and better than SBC Higuain but he didn't feel outrageous/next level like SBC El Sharaawy or Ronaldo or the like. Still very good though. I feel compelled to say that everyone with a Bundesliga squad needs to seriously consider fut birthday Kuba. I am having a poo poo ton of success with the card and he's performing way better than OTW Dembele for me. He's getting overlooked because of the 3* 3* and h/h work rates but let me tell you the guy is always where you want him to be on offense and defense and has been clinical for me (scored 4 goals in the campaign). The best part is he can play from CM to RW. I don't think I should be having to hype up a card with 94 pace, 78 strength, and 86 dribbling but here we are. Give him a shot, he's going for pennies but I'd gladly pay 100k for that card and I think he's the best RW in the Bundesliga that I've tried (all of them except Robben). You can trust me, I started the Modeste hype-train.

Bonus- Enjoy this amazing goal line tech

https://streamable.com/bn8d3

The images might not capture it but it was 100% completely over the line and I could even tell in real time.

hopterque posted:

I had a good goal line tech moment last week too:

I lost this game 0-1

Both of these are on the line?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Mine's the best screenshot I could snap in the moment, it actually went a noticeable bit further over, I'm guessing Seltzer's is the same case.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

hopterque posted:

Mine's the best screenshot I could snap in the moment, it actually went a noticeable bit further over, I'm guessing Seltzer's is the same case.

The above the goal camera isnt always the best on fifa as it isnt true straight above goal, if you look when theyre showing the goal line technology replay you'll see this as it puts up a blue wall to show where the goalline is. From the screen shots yours looks really close, but it isnt completely over. Seltzers is massively on the line, theres like a third of the ball on the line.

I looked up incase Im completely wrong and saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_6kjAcoYQA

All the goals in this (apart from the one where the guy chests it off the line) are obviously still partly touching the line - on the ones where you have the goalline tech you can see that you can still see part of the ball poking through the blue wall that is the goalline. The one on the guys chest I can only think is because of a glitch caused by him chesting.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Is that birthday sbc reward pack coming anytime soon?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Is that birthday sbc reward pack coming anytime soon?

I just got it. Packed birthday Ogbonna who I slotted in to my squad immediately and he's pretty good.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elliptical Dick posted:

I just got it. Packed birthday Ogbonna who I slotted in to my squad immediately and he's pretty good.

He's realllly good yeah.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got nothing worth mentioning in either the ultimate pack or the 18 packs I got for the Lewandowski SBC, oh well

I did get 86 Villa in my monthly rewards so that was cool but I probably won't really use him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I got nothing of note in my weekly packs or the 125k pack, and got Immobile who looks pretty good and who I might use and 4 trash players in the monthly

• Locked thread