Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Has Trump been modded into civ 6 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

What if they like that? What if the closest thing to an accurate representation of aliens is the Orks in Warhammer 40,000?

Well at least chimney sweeps can be reemployed as translators.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Actually my real answer to the Fermi paradox is everyone who gets to a certain level of civilization uploads themselves into technological immortality and "live" on servers stored in gravity wells

Science victory is for chumps. Planet busters or gtfo, Zakarov.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
aliens are real and they're already here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will be a lawyer for the orks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
that episode of tng ends like oh a fat scottish guy transported himself into the future that thing is tooooooo dangerous to explore

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al! posted:

wouldnt a dyson sphere give off some sort of weird radiation or is the concept that nothing leaves the system

I thought the basic idea was "100% of the energy emitted from the sun is captured".

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

prefect posted:

Isn't that the definition of a Dyson sphere? (Serious question; not being a wiseass.)

Well, yes, but the variants are more likely to exist since they require less building materials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere#Variants

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
the simple fact is that any sufficiently evolved civilization will eventually elect Donald J Turmp as president

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this doctor's lawyer giving a presser kinda rules

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

prefect posted:

I thought the basic idea was "100% of the energy emitted from the sun is captured".

Yes but it would still emit radiation unless it was using super sci fi materials

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

art of the meal

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

dyson spheres are overpriced fans

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if this turns into an airplane on treadmill argument im stabbing everyone involved including myself in the neck metaphorically

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Guy Goodbody posted:

"We know that aliens aren't real because we've never seen evidence of a Dyson sphere around a sun and we know for a fact that the end point of all planetary civilizations is a Dyson Sphere" - a thing a Fermi Paradox adherent actually said to me once.

the better question is why we haven't already seen evidence of our galaxy being absolutely overrun with von neumann probes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

True civ pros live in the smeared membrane on a event horizon of a sm black hole

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

yeah but if some civilization had like a zillion years to do something wouldn't they at least send like 1 unmanned craft somewhere we can see it I mean we sent out voyager which in a million years or something might get somewhere why can't they just have a bunch of probes or something which are unmanned but just drift in space for like 100 million years and send out radiowaves or something

yeah you are right ftl prob isn't possible and there's prob never gonna be super space empire with 100000000 star systems

They could send out millions of probes, and there's still a good chance none of them would be close enough for us to see them. Space is really, really, really, really big. It is literally unfathomably huge.

And in the very small chance that one actually did come close enough to Earth for us to detect it, radio waves were discovered in 1895. So if aliens did build out and send millions of probes saying "we are here" and one of them passed by Earth, oh poo poo it passed by us in 1903 and nobody manning any of the seven radios in the world at the time realized something important was happening.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NNick posted:

Has Trump been modded into civ 6 yet?

the real question is did he got modded in before hitler did

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al! posted:

if this turns into an airplane on treadmill argument im stabbing everyone involved including myself in the neck metaphorically

if you put a dyson sphere on a treadmill does it still emit radiation

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the better question is why we haven't already seen evidence of our galaxy being absolutely overrun with von neumann probes

aliens don't know what those are

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

punchymcpunch posted:

dyson spheres are overpriced fans

Is that the thing where there are NO BLADES BUT THE AIR STILL BLOWS?!?!?! what kind of numenaria did they use to build those

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

murked by dragon posted:

the simple fact is that any sufficiently evolved civilization will eventually elect Donald J Turmp as president

https://youtu.be/F65xNuqmLdU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SmokaDustbowl posted:

aliens don't know what those are

What, Hungarians? :haw:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

" von Newman probes " was a infamous unaired episode of Seinfeld

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was the first civ vi trump mod made by a maga boy or someone who thought it'd be a sick burn to find his ugliest picture for a portrait and give huge penalties to science and culture

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
in the reality where we elected Jill Stein, humanity is already well on its way to being able to fold space through the power of dilithium j/o crystals

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

are von neumann probes the ones they built w operation paperclip?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

" von Newman probes " was a infamous unaired episode of Seinfeld

the void never stops, jerry. it drives some of us mad

*smiles newmanishly*

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

paranoid randroid posted:

in the reality where we elected Jill Stein, humanity is already well on its way to being able to fold space through the power of dilithium j/o crystals

in the universe where we elected gary johnson, bill weld is actually acquitting himself decently at being president

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*Christie takes the radio host seat, immediately falls over due to weight*

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Al! posted:

Is that the thing where there are NO BLADES BUT THE AIR STILL BLOWS?!?!?! what kind of numenaria did they use to build those

Alien tech dude

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

yogic flying j/o sessions through the power of transcendental meditation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

we are however wiped out by a mild influenza mere moments before we ascend into transdimensional godhood

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

made some coffee a bit ago, gotta drink it

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Al! posted:

we are however wiped out by a mild influenza mere moments before we ascend into transdimensional godhood

Conquering the stars while our bodies are wracked with polio and measles

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/852545653137973253

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm going out so you all can move onto anime and sex numbers of you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

triple sulk posted:

made some coffee a bit ago, gotta drink it

i had a latte

• Locked thread