Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

FactsAreUseless posted:

which of these two responses is normal:

"do you remember that book that was popular in the 70s, I enjoyed it"

"do you remember that book that was popular in the 70s, well, I loving HATED IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Goons are a passionate people, what can I say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

paranoid randroid posted:

first contact would be like some green dudes with antennae landing in Nebraska, taking off their designer sunglasses, going "Good lord, Reginald, how provincial. Do they even have a Glartsby and Hrmnmnrn's boutique? Oh, sod this, let's just vacation on Plantifex 3 again this year." and then leaving

First contact would be like something completely unrecognizable to us stealing the sun.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/852541009888251904

quote:

In two kitchen coolers, the inspectors found that meats were not being stored at the proper temperature and that fish served raw or undercooked had not “undergone proper parasite destruction,” according to the reports.

Inspectors also cited the club for reach-in and walk-in coolers that were not properly maintained, no hot water or hand-drying device at an employee sink and more basic violations, such as employees who were not wearing hairnets while preparing food for customers.

:barf:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

First contact would be like something completely unrecognizable to us stealing the sun.

Al! posted:

God i hate the space british

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/852318522139168769

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i'm glad all of the leaks basically state that bannon's only friend in the administration is the racist keebler elf and everyone else hates him

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/852541643530133505

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also yeah i remember that episode of Invader ZIM too

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

HOLDEN CAUFIELD WAS A JERK AND A DIFFERENT PEACE SUCKED

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FactsAreUseless posted:

Really? I never hear anyone bring up Pinochet anymore.

Allende would have won

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i mean you're probably right mormonpartyboat i just don't have the time nor the energy to argue with you sorry :shrug:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Allende would have won

Allende did win. That was the problem.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"We know that aliens aren't real because we've never seen evidence of a Dyson sphere around a sun and we know for a fact that the end point of all planetary civilizations is a Dyson Sphere" - a thing a Fermi Paradox adherent actually said to me once.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Ban Jeffrey lord from tv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thump! posted:

And also because we'd shoot them the instant they appeared. I wouldn't talk to us either

given the sheer amount of media we produce about shooting aliens and given that aliens wouldn't have the cultural context to comprehend them into, as well as not having human intelligence, any cursory analysis of our output comes to a quite justifiable conclusion that humans are genocidally violent

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Looking forward to Spexit

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Travel around and colonize? Reality isn't Star Trek. The closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It's four light years away. If we had the ability to make a space ship that could travel at half light speed, which be the greatest engineering feat ever, it would take eight years to get there. Building a space ship that could safely transport a group of humans large enough to have a sufficiently diverse genetic pool for a succesful colony for eight years through space between stars would be the greatest engineering challenge mankind has ever faced, times fifty. A one way trip to the closest star would be the most difficult challenge humanity has ever faced. And a second trip to another star wouldn't be much easier. The idea that if aliens existed they would surely be doing that regularly is born purely out of science fiction

THE GREAT FILTER IS BULLSHIT. THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE FOR THE GREAT FILTER. It's just some poo poo a sad European in early atomic age nihilism said, and people repeat it because the dude was smart about other stuff

sir i just asked if you wanted to super-size your fries

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

"We know that aliens aren't real because we've never seen evidence of a Dyson sphere around a sun and we know for a fact that the end point of all planetary civilizations is a Dyson Sphere" - a thing a Fermi Paradox adherent actually said to me once.
lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

art of the meal

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

given the sheer amount of media we produce about shooting aliens and given that aliens wouldn't have the cultural context to comprehend them into, as well as not having human intelligence, any cursory analysis of our output comes to a quite justifiable conclusion that humans are genocidally violent

What if they like that? What if the closest thing to an accurate representation of aliens is the Orks in Warhammer 40,000?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zegermans posted:

HOLDEN CAUFIELD WAS A JERK AND A DIFFERENT PEACE SUCKED

Sir this is a library

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
the fermi paradox is only a paradox if you're a heathen piece of garbage that denies god's divine will and humanity's sacred dominion over all creatures

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

if there was a Dyson sphere around a star wouldnt you... just not be able to see the star?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

Ban Jeffrey lord from tv

They could force panelists to be filmed through a mirror to accomplish this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wouldn't a Dyson sphere make the sun inside it nigh-invisible to us?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Goons are a passionate people, what can I say?
Yeah, just look at all that passion on that anime pillow. </Morgan Freeman>

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

zegermans posted:

Allende did win. That was the problem.

Not sure killing yourself to prevent yourself being executed counts as 'winning'

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I hope he bankrupts that poo poo airline.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what if the civilization is into ringworlds instead

what if their thing is massive solar sails with colonies on the concave side

what then, mister cleverdick

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

prefect posted:

Only in the unlikely event that it completely surrounded the sun like in that TNG episode.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Guy Goodbody posted:

Travel around and colonize? Reality isn't Star Trek. The closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It's four light years away. If we had the ability to make a space ship that could travel at half light speed, which be the greatest engineering feat ever, it would take eight years to get there. Building a space ship that could safely transport a group of humans large enough to have a sufficiently diverse genetic pool for a succesful colony for eight years through space between stars would be the greatest engineering challenge mankind has ever faced, times fifty. A one way trip to the closest star would be the most difficult challenge humanity has ever faced. And a second trip to another star wouldn't be much easier. The idea that if aliens existed they would surely be doing that regularly is born purely out of science fiction

THE GREAT FILTER IS BULLSHIT. THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE FOR THE GREAT FILTER. It's just some poo poo a sad European in early atomic age nihilism said, and people repeat it because the dude was smart about other stuff

yeah but if some civilization had like a zillion years to do something wouldn't they at least send like 1 unmanned craft somewhere we can see it I mean we sent out voyager which in a million years or something might get somewhere why can't they just have a bunch of probes or something which are unmanned but just drift in space for like 100 million years and send out radiowaves or something

yeah you are right ftl prob isn't possible and there's prob never gonna be super space empire with 100000000 star systems

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pyrotek posted:

Only in the unlikely event that it completely surrounded the sun like in that TNG episode.

Isn't that the definition of a Dyson sphere? (Serious question; not being a wiseass.)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

What if they like that? What if the closest thing to an accurate representation of aliens is the Orks in Warhammer 40,000?

only thing worse than the space british is the space british id

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Yeah that was a good one.
*looks at date*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Typo posted:

yeah but if some civilization had like a zillion years to do something wouldn't they at least send like 1 unmanned craft somewhere we can see it I mean we sent out voyager which in a million years or something might get somewhere why can't they just have a bunch of probes or something which are unmanned but just drift in space for like 100 million years and send out radiowaves or something

yeah you are right ftl prob isn't possible and there's prob never gonna be super space empire with 100000000 star systems

Maybe they decided to go pick up their old probes once they figured out how to go fast enough.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Schnorkles posted:

i mean you're probably right mormonpartyboat i just don't have the time nor the energy to argue with you sorry :shrug:

Goons read the trump thread, goons getting old, sad to see. Many such cases!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

prefect posted:

Sphere would probably still emit radiation and the gravity would be noticed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

possible but I think the giant blob from Blindsight is more likely

Though of course the possibilities are endless

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tesseraction posted:

Not sure killing yourself to prevent yourself being executed counts as 'winning'

It was so much winning the CIA got tired of all the winning and said, "Please, please Mr. Allende, no more winning. We can't handle all this winning." And he said, "No, I've got to keep winning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

prefect posted:

Isn't that the definition of a Dyson sphere? (Serious question; not being a wiseass.)

wouldnt a dyson sphere give off some sort of weird radiation or is the concept that nothing leaves the system

• Locked thread