Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JRROSE managed to find an even clumsier structure for this joke than "thing? no, other thing"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It just occurred to me that JRROSE! puts two spaces after each sentence and, bafflingly, an extra space before his question marks/exclamation points. Definitely playing to his audience of 80-year-old Ima write a letter to the editor cranks.

(this is not an invitation to debate the merits of double-spacing after full stops, other than to note that old people are more likely to still do this and are also...unique...in some of their other stylistic decisions)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A return to form for Stantis, crushing nihilism having gotten so tiresome that he could think to do only one thing, ironically the same thing his hated Trump resorted to doing: attack Hillary Clinton Hunny Bunny.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Quorum posted:

A return to form for Stantis, crushing nihilism having gotten so tiresome that he could think to do only one thing, ironically the same thing his hated Trump resorted to doing: attack Hillary Clinton Hunny Bunny.

It had to happen eventually. It was funny watching him try to parse the idea that "Republicans are bad", but he was always going to backslide into "No, it is the liberals who are wrong."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is secretly the most depressing JRROSE in the world, look at that mom's face

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

D.N. Nation posted:

It just occurred to me that JRROSE! puts two spaces after each sentence and, bafflingly, an extra space before his question marks/exclamation points. Definitely playing to his audience of 80-year-old Ima write a letter to the editor cranks.

(this is not an invitation to debate the merits of double-spacing after full stops, other than to note that old people are more likely to still do this and are also...unique...in some of their other stylistic decisions)

Wait, it is an old people thing? I don't think so. I thought it was just a style thing. When I'm typing on a keyboard I double space. When I'm posting from my phone (like right now) I let the phone handle it. Same goes for most people I know around my age. My parents both single space and so do the older people in my office. Neither is correct but neither is it linked to age.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is secretly the most depressing JRROSE in the world, look at that mom's face

She knows her 16 year old son will be drafted in two years to die in the middle east for Trumps hubris. Look at her expression closely. It's haunting.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I would play President Charles Barkley's United We Slam

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

mandatory lesbian posted:

Her daughter looks like she's eight and she's too stupid to know what a newsreader is talking about. It takes its toll on you.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Wait, it is an old people thing? I don't think so. I thought it was just a style thing. When I'm typing on a keyboard I double space. When I'm posting from my phone (like right now) I let the phone handle it. Same goes for most people I know around my age. My parents both single space and so do the older people in my office. Neither is correct but neither is it linked to age.

I respectfully entirely disagree.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I was taught to double space as a kid (although I don't know what's going on with that space before the question mark) but personally don't really care. Nowadays I think most guides say to single space after a sentence. Of course there's plenty of people who want to be super smug about how they're formatting their paragraphs the one true way.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Bentext:

Ben posted:

Kim Jong-un is a spoiled, capricious nut. His nuclear war threats may be nothing but continued ego maniacal saber rattling, but once nuclear miniaturization is achieved, he could launch a nuclear attack on our west coast. Many have suggested diplomacy, but that has already been tried for decades. North Korea always furthers their nuclear capabilities regardless. He may be trying to extort us once again for more food and fuel, but again..that tactic simply does not work. It only buys the regime in North Korea more time.

War is not funny. Especially the prospect of WWIII. I was not happy with the Syrian bombing and I caught a lot of flak for my cartoon that criticized the event. As a political cartoonist, I have to call it as I see it—even if it means losing support that I badly need. I drew a great many pro-Trump cartoons to help him get elected. I still back Trump and his intention to make America great again, but one critical cartoon cost me in terms of lost donors. Trump recently said he had no intention of starting another useless war in the Middle East—and that’s reassuring, but now we have North Korea to worry about.

I’ve read two books that I recommend highly: “The Aquariums of Pyongyang” and “Escape from Camp 14.” If you read either book, you’ll get a good idea of the fear and tyranny under which the North Korean people must live. Kim Jong-un grew up as a pampered egomaniac. He is reckless and dangerous. He even wanted all males in the Communist country to wear his own crazy haircut. He needs to be taken out, but that’s a very risky undertaking.

China is key. If they don’t help us take out Un, then we definitely have a chance for WWIII. I’d much rather see Trump concentrate on making America again, but the constant threat of nuclear war from a deranged tyrant could ruin all that.
We live in very dangerous times.
—Ben Garrison

Kirschen:

Kirschen posted:

Software engineers often have fun by putting secret surprises into their software. Users who type a secret word will activate these secret surprises. These are called "Easter Eggs". No, I'm not going to give you a list of Easter Eggs hidden in Google or Windows or...
I thought of this while considering the cartoon to do about the Islamist attacks on Christians, such as the bombings of the Copts in Egypt. The idea of worshipers being blown up as they attempt to commune with God is a horror, whether they are Christians, Sunnis, Shias, Sufis, or Jews, but that is the Easter Egg in our current cruel world.

Labels: Christian, Copts, Easter, Easter Egg, Egypt, isis, Islam, Islamism, Middle East, Muslim, terror, Terrorism

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

It's funny to watch Zyklon Ben slowly twist his thinking from "DADDY TRUMP WOULD NEVER START A WAR, AMERICA FIRST!" to "DADDY TRUMP USES WAR TO PROTECT US! AMERICA FIRST!".

His comics are like art therapy, except it makes him more insane as it progresses.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

It's funny to watch Zyklon Ben slowly twist his thinking from "DADDY TRUMP WOULD NEVER START A WAR, AMERICA FIRST!" to "DADDY TRUMP USES WAR TO PROTECT US! AMERICA FIRST!".

His comics are like art therapy, except it makes him more insane as it progresses.

I hate to defend him but that's literally the opposite of what he's saying. Like, even in his little blog post he mentions that he didn't like the bombings in Syria and he doesn't want war with Korea, he's just saying that if NK doesn't stop it's attempts to become a nuclear power it may be inevitable.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Garrand posted:

I hate to defend him but that's literally the opposite of what he's saying. Like, even in his little blog post he mentions that he didn't like the bombings in Syria and he doesn't want war with Korea, he's just saying that if NK doesn't stop it's attempts to become a nuclear power it may be inevitable.

He's laying out his future rationalizations, and it's coupled with a drawing of Big Strong Daddy Trump looking down angrily at Baby Kim.

I agree that he's not 100% used to the new missile-shaped dick in his mouth, but he's getting there slowly.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Actually, double-spacing is flat-out incorrect now. It was a thing with typewriters because of the monospaced font, but with variable-width fonts there's no style guide in use (APA, MLA, Chicago), where double space after punctuation is correct.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Actually, double-spacing is flat-out incorrect now. It was a thing with typewriters because of the monospaced font, but with variable-width fonts there's no style guide in use (APA, MLA, Chicago), where double space after punctuation is correct.

Yeah, I learned to type on an electric typewriter when I was 6, so it was a deeply ingrained habit, but even I've kicked it now.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I love how Rogers draws his elephants with crazy eyes!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I learned to type on an electric typewriter when I was 6, so it was a deeply ingrained habit, but even I've kicked it now.

:same:

Even long after computer word processors were a thing, my father was adamant that periods always had to be followed by two spaces. Took a long time to break the habit.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even long after computer word processors were a thing, my father was adamant that periods always had to be followed by two spaces. Took a long time to break the habit.
This makes me remember when I was a kid and we had a word processor machine. It was like in between a typewriter and a computer with a printer. It was big and heavy but supposedly portable. It had a tiny little screen that showed like part of a line at a time so proofreading before printing was hard, but technically possible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

D.N. Nation posted:

The extra space before "double" punctuation marks (I mean those which are made of two parts, so colon (:), semicolon (;), exclamation point (!) and interrogation point (?) is a thing in some languages. Depending on font and typesetting, it can help make the difference between, for example, "r," and "r;". I have however never seen it in an English style guide.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

This makes me remember when I was a kid and we had a word processor machine. It was like in between a typewriter and a computer with a printer. It was big and heavy but supposedly portable. It had a tiny little screen that showed like part of a line at a time so proofreading before printing was hard, but technically possible.

I worked at a Staples back in high school, and we sold a poo poo load of those things. There were a few years where they really were the best option for most college kids, becuase PCs were still relatively primitive, and stupid expensive.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I had no idea the two spaces after the end of a sentence was not in any of the style guides. I'll have to make an effort to break the habit then.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wait, Garrison made a comic criticizing the Syrian strike?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, we focus on different things as far as racial caricatures. For us it's the eye shape but for them it's the nose and hair/eye color.

When I was travelling in remote parts of se Asia (like only white person in 100 miles remote) little kids would run around behind me pushing their fingers in the side of their nose to make it bigger

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I'm one of those annoying nerds that would correct the teacher in class, insist on using full punctuation and spelling in texts (I've only recently let my hair down enough to use LOL and such), and even I don't give a poo poo about double-spacing after a period.

"..if someone would hire me, that is."

Still awaiting Payne's hot take on this matter.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Captain_Maclaine posted:

We had old teachers in grade/high school that told us it was still a thing, since they were still adjusting to computers. I managed to break the habit when I entered grad school in 2011, and got read for it.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Squishy posted:

I will never risk this av. Anyway, here's the offending nose (belonging to forums user Blood Nose)

e: and Blood Nose's post about it

Yes, this is it! Unfortunately, I misremembered the artist as being better than he is.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have no argument on what is correct (it's just fashion), but that explanation never made sense. Monospaced fonts have much bigger spaces than variable-width fonts. If that explanation was true we would be switching in the opposite direction, to using more spaces on variable-width fonts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I had no idea the two spaces after the end of a sentence was not in any of the style guides. I'll have to make an effort to break the habit then.

It's ok, it doesn't matter as word processors will fix it for you.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

He got confirmed, you mewing putz.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

I think we all remember how hard Hillary celebrated after Trumpcare failed right?

How in the mighty gently caress do you rebound THIS hard? Four loving months of "How can the world be so cruel and terrible and wrong" to "LOL LIBERALS EVIL AMIRIGHT!!!1" with nothing in between!

Then again this is the guy that equated Trump LITERALLY PUNCHING HIS MAIN CHARACTER IN THE FACE to Hunllary Bunton...being kind of demanding...both sides are just as bad right??

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wait, Garrison made a comic criticizing the Syrian strike?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What's the third end of that tongue connected to? :stare:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

He got confirmed, you mewing putz.

Nothing says integrity more than stealing an appointed position via rules lawyering the Constitution against the obvious intent.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dylan16807 posted:

I have no argument on what is correct (it's just fashion), but that explanation never made sense. Monospaced fonts have much bigger spaces than variable-width fonts. If that explanation was true we would be switching in the opposite direction, to using more spaces on variable-width fonts.

A monospaced font won't have any big differentiation between a comma and a period, so for the reader's ease, the extra space was added to correspond with the longer pause.

Sandpuppy posted:

I'm one of those annoying nerds that would correct the teacher in class, insist on using full punctuation and spelling in texts (I've only recently let my hair down enough to use LOL and such), and even I don't give a poo poo about double-spacing after a period.

Sorry, I literally went to school for this stuff. A degree in professional communications. I don't go around correcting random gently caress-ups, but I do try and point out the accepted standards when appropriate, in a polite fashion. :shrug:

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

I thought it said "Political Funster" in blood at first. I really want NY to have a Political Funster :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The Sun God Himself shall strike the man-baby for his hubris. A :black101: Egyptian Cartoon

• Locked thread