Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

'I was just making sure they didn't lose our luggage'

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, that's certainly a way to square the circle and put Errinwright back in the villain's seat. And all while setting up a redemptive arc. Not that this isn't possible, Errinwright betrayed Avasarala in such an open way that if it all goes south, and Earth doesn't get the protomolecule, it will blow back on him (and Mao). And if he succeeds, well, Mars no longer holds the PM over Earth's head.

Sure, the Martian ambassador died under suspicious circumstances, but the body was returned and the autopsy shows no signs of foul play, and Earth blew up a Martian warship, but Earth has evidence that Mars was performing illegal biowar research, and oh well, tensions got exacerbated.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo we aren't gonna get to the kickass ending of book 2

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh im sorry I spoiled anyone by saying the ending was kickass

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, I hope you're wrong but I know you're probably right. I still think it would make sense for them to rearrange the order of some things and end with "Hey, we need to talk." I think they'll lose a lot of audience interest and emotional investment in Miller if they wait an entire IRL year+ to bring him back, and Tom Jane is way too good an actor for that to happen to.

Swap the Io assault and the Ring activating, leave the season with Prax and Mei still unresolved and end with Proto-Miller as the cliffhanger.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 13, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I did have to laugh a bit at Holden threatening the whole blockade. The Roci is a capable ship, but it's still a featherweight as military ships go.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, it was a cool moment but the Martian reaction didn't make sense to me. If you're enforcing a blockade and one of your big warships just got destroyed up by Earth, I don't think they'd hesitate to blow up a rogue frigate popping up out of nowhere.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, it was a cool moment but the Martian reaction didn't make sense to me. If you're enforcing a blockade and one of your big warships just got destroyed up by Earth, I don't think they'd hesitate to blow up a rogue frigate popping up out of nowhere.

He rolled a Nat 20 on his intimidation check :v: I'm sorry

I liked Holden in this episode. "Don't talk down to me, plant man!" lol

Of the three subplots happening in this episode, I was finding the space refugee one to be the most boring, but by the end I'd done a total 180 and I'll be damned if I didn't have something in my eye...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, it was a cool moment but the Martian reaction didn't make sense to me.

He may just be an rear end in a top hat in a boat, but he's an unaligned rear end in a top hat. That's no one to risk WWIII over.

Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister are excellent comedies if you dig politics. That scene reminded of this bit about the nuclear deterrent/"Salami Tactics:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-yyaWCgiQ

"...so the Last Resort is also the first-response, is that what you are saying?"

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 13, 2017

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Accretionist posted:

He may just be an rear end in a top hat in a boat, but he's an unaligned rear end in a top hat. That's no one to risk WWIII over.

He's an unaligned rear end in a top hat in a boat that happens to be obviously Martian-built, which would make him either a defector or a hijacker...

Is there some reason why the fleets didn't start shooting at each other when the Karakum went down? Does Earth have stealth torpedoes?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

He's an unaligned rear end in a top hat in a boat that happens to be obviously Martian-built, which would make him either a defector or a hijacker...

Is there some reason why the fleets didn't start shooting at each other when the Karakum went down? Does Earth have stealth torpedoes?

None. It was a black ops boat but hardly something they can deny.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bubbacub posted:

The evacuees, you can be confident that it's done in one torpedo. With the Roci, you could lose ships and crew and one stray round into opposing forces could trigger WWIII. Letting him pass is the least risky move, especially when everyone involved probably wants an excuse to let the evacuees go.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean, with the Roci there now, they could replenish the air and go back, run the Roci's scrubbers hard to get it ready, but who know if that actually gets done.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probably best not to push their luck, they are clear.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Accretionist posted:

The evacuees, you can be confident that it's done in one torpedo. With the Roci, you could lose ships and crew and one stray round into opposing forces could trigger WWIII. Letting him pass is the least risky move, especially when everyone involved probably wants an excuse to let the evacuees go.

Good point, I guess it's easier to let a non-threatening frigate slip through when you're facing down an entire fleet of enemy battleships.

I probably should have seen it coming, but Errinwright's betrayal was pretty :aaa:. They did a nice job of drawing out how humbled and vulnerable he pretended to be.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I liked the spirit level they pretended was future sci-fi poison. Surprisingly effective prop.

Also did I miss the earlier episode's title card having protomolecule growths all over the planet, or was this episode's the first?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Also lol at the St. Germain bottle they used for the hundred-year-old Scotch whiskey in the (awesome) Errinwright scene.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also did I miss the earlier episode's title card having protomolecule growths all over the planet, or was this episode's the first?

You mean the halo of blue stuff that's floating around the last planet in the opening credits? That's been there since the first season, though it got bluer in the second season's version.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Whiskey doesn't age in bottles though. The alcohol is too high for anything to change after it is sealed, so it isn't like wine where it ages post bottling. Unless a barrel was somehow travelling by sea and went down with the ship, but that would only happen if Scotland was sending a barrel overseas for blending.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Open Source Idiom posted:

You mean the halo of blue stuff that's floating around the last planet in the opening credits? That's been there since the first season, though it got bluer in the second season's version.

Huh, guess I never noticed it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Whiskey doesn't age in bottles though. The alcohol is too high for anything to change after it is sealed, so it isn't like wine where it ages post bottling. Unless a barrel was somehow travelling by sea and went down with the ship, but that would only happen if Scotland was sending a barrel overseas for blending.

Yeah, my issue isn't with the age, just thought it was funny that they thought a St. Germain bottle looked fancy and exotic enough for a future Scotch. (St. Germain is an elderflower liqueur, and on an unrelated note, it is delicious.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, if they'd let one unarmed refugee ship break the blockade that'd be some martian officer's getting court-martialed for disobeying orders the next day. However, Holden's posturing gave them a legitimate excuse to break orders as it was above everyone involved's paygrade to call his bluff and thus they let them pass.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 13, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Don't engage in small talk with Christjen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How come Naomi can speak clearly and use real words while most belters all talk in their heavy dialect? Is she code shifting when around real humans vs belters? There were a few scenes where she was trying to relate to some lower class belters and suddenly she adopted all their accent and slang but around the Rocci she talks properly.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

How come Naomi can speak clearly and use real words while most belters all talk in their heavy dialect? Is she code shifting when around real humans vs belters? There were a few scenes where she was trying to relate to some lower class belters and suddenly she adopted all their accent and slang but around the Rocci she talks properly.

Yes. Belter Creole is heavily tied to class.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Probably from her time on the Cant. Her workmates probably got sick of it and got her some elocution lessons.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah it's a code shifting/class based thing. She talks like an inyalowda when she's around the Roci crew (and 90% of the major characters, really) because they're all Earthers/Martians. When we do get to see her around other Belters, especially later on in the books, she speaks the creole.

E:f,b

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/InsidiousRepulsiveJaeger.mp4

I love Bobbie’s expression here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also prax is a belter but he talks like a standard issue polite stem nerd.
Aslo, plant guy.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Bubbacub posted:

Good point, I guess it's easier to let a non-threatening frigate slip through when you're facing down an entire fleet of enemy battleships.

I probably should have seen it coming, but Errinwright's betrayal was pretty :aaa:. They did a nice job of drawing out how humbled and vulnerable he pretended to be.

I thought it was telegraphed by his exceptionally firm "yes, I will" in response to Avasarala's "you'll survive this" in the last(?) episode.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Demiurge4 posted:

'I was just making sure they didn't lose our luggage'

:getin:

This. Yes.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, my issue isn't with the age, just thought it was funny that they thought a St. Germain bottle looked fancy and exotic enough for a future Scotch. (St. Germain is an elderflower liqueur, and on an unrelated note, it is delicious.)

Ooh, I'll have to add some to my bar.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

crazypeltast52 posted:

You should, it's great stuff. It's too sweet to drink much of it on its own, but it is/was a really trendy item for a minute, so there are lots of good cocktails out there that call for it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
drat if I didn't tear up during the boarding scene

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The boarding scene was bad because what calmed the crowd was an appeal to their sense of space nationalism.

e: future NYC

Similar contemporary view:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 13, 2017

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

crazypeltast52 posted:

It can make champagne more than just tolerable.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

crazypeltast52 posted:

We've made a few St. Germain cocktails for my podcast, for movies like Robot Jox and Ichi the Killer. It's one of my favorite cordials.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Platystemon posted:

The boarding scene was bad because what calmed the crowd was an appeal to their sense of space nationalism.

e: future NYC

Here's almost the exact same angle on google.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Edit: They avoided continuity errors by having the drop image cut off north of that shot.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

It can make champagne more than just tolerable.

I haven't tried a St Germain in champagne in a while, but I think I remember the elderflower kind of getting lost. I dunno, for my money it's hard to top a French 75 for champagne cocktails. It's like a John Collins in a tux.

My favorite St Germain cocktail so far is probably the Meadow Mule. 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz apple cider, 0.5 oz St Germain. Stir with ice and top with ginger ale.

poo poo, right, this isn't the cocktail thread. So, has appealing to the better nature of an already panicking crowd ever worked in real life? It seems like a minor miracle that just opening that airlock didn't immediately create a meat grinder.

• Locked thread