Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Why does Guava have to watch every Hockey game ever?

1 Oilers haven't been in the playoffs for 10 years
2 playoff hocky is goooood hockey
3 playoff hockey is good hockey even if you don't particularly care about either team

As someone who shares Guava's love of both the CFL and NHL I applaud his decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's that? You want skippy granola and I to do a guest episode for your LP? Well I guess since you asked so nicely

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CJacobs posted:

What's that? You want skippy granola and I to do a guest episode for your LP? Well I guess since you asked so nicely
You two do make such a cute couple.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Jade actually asked me to guest in my best Guava impersonation, sorry guys

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I thought we were signing up to die for XCom, not commentate it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I thought we were signing up to die for XCom, not commentate it.

well, you'll be happy to find out what happens after you finish recording

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

AriadneThread posted:

well, you'll be happy to find out what happens after you finish recording

Oh boy! Two snakegirls with one plasma grenade!

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Couldn't he just splice together some Guava commentary from all the previous updates?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm still here to guest if you need a Canadian who doesn't have a banjo :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jade Star posted:

I didn't watch today's hockey, but i heard in the car that my Sharks beat Guava's Oliers in the first game. So suck on that Guava! Also I got skippy to cover the next episode. Don't worry, there totally wasn't a tone of new and awesome poo poo happening constantly in the video, oh wait, there was and you missed it.
I hope one of the new things is a Sectopod dying to a banjo riff crit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hello i'm cjacstar and this is my partner skippy guavmoment and welcome back to the xcom 2 general's guide to the resistance

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So many Canadians and hockey lovers. What a great thread.

edit: XCOM2 is pretty good too I guess

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

CJacobs posted:

Psion posted:

Jade actually asked me to guest in my best Guava impersonation, sorry guys

I am totally okay with both of these things.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Speaking about audio, I watch Jade's streams quite a bit. I don't know what it is but his audio settings are pretty good.
I keep my volume on Twitch quite low, for instance
and still sometimes I have to mute Jade's stream if I click a link to watch a YouTube video or something, otherwise he will drown out the other video.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I could probably adjust my output volume on OBS to stream at a lower volume, but then I'm not watching my own streams and have no idea how everyone else is adjusting things on their ends. It may be on my end too, because that's how i listen to pandora, with the volume slider like 3 pixels away from mute.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

why would you have a stream open and then be watching youtube videos

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AriadneThread posted:

I'm positive Jade doesn't give a gently caress when he's streaming.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

Two monitors, twitch is usually background noise.
Someone links to YouTube on Twitter or something.

Also it wasn't a complaint about the sound. It's pretty impressive.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AriadneThread posted:

So you can watch the hockey game while commentating duh

EDIT-That's a good idea. Just record Guava watching the hockey game while you're playing the level.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

EDIT-That's a good idea. Just record Guava watching the hockey game while you're playing the level.

i'll accept this

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Scaramouche posted:

AriadneThread posted:

i'll accept this
If you've been watching Jade's content for a while you will recall this happens repeatedly. Guava exclaims to nothing happening on video, Jade inquires, naturally the answer is hockey. 'Oh -insert team here- just scored/saved/did-something-else-hockey-related'.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 14, 2017

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Someone just make a Guava soundboard for Jade and he could finish the LP in record time

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could someone who doesn't know poo poo about hockey please do this with guava hockey noises?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

ousire posted:

Someone just make a Guava soundboard for Jade and he could finish the LP in record time

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"gently caress the Flames."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Canuck-Errant posted:

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"gently caress the Flames."

"if only you'd taken Overdrive"
"if only there was a skill to let you fire more times per turn"
"if only you could somehow kill that enemy this turn with a skill, something, hang on, I forget what it's called..."

and then something about repeaters

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
"Speaking of Face Off..."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

"Hunter Protocol is a great skill, it will kill literally everybody in an activated pod"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

"I swear, they never use the grenade attack on me!"

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
"That was a great ambush"
"Who needs medpacks to heal poison when you can just evac them"
"I hate you"

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
"You filthy lucker!"

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Club Face

Today we get back to hitting the plot. The codex's brain research points us to a sites where we find some sort of gateway. Bradford and the others all think it's super important but given that it's barely large enough to fit a single alien through at a time it leaves me kind of wondering how important it could be. Logistically speaking its not going to move a lot of infrastructure for the invasion. At best it could be a quick hub to hub transporter for squads of ADVENT to move and respond to threats, but then what the hell is it doing out in the middle of nowhere and not in a guarded facility? For right now the details surrounding the gateway are confusing and hazy at best, when we properly research it maybe it will shed some light on it.

Some new equipment gets picked up before the mission, exciting new stuff at that. The Archon suit is amazing, giving the wearer greatly enhanced mobility. They can run farther, jump up the sides of buildings or other obstacles, and twice per mission they can launch themselves anywhere not in the shroud in a move that looks right out of the Floater's skill set from the first game. In short the Archon suit is the last word in mobility enhancing armor. How to best put it to use is variable however. I put it on my sniper as Guava suggested, letting the sniper get to high places quickly and easily and letting them launch themselves forward to a new sniping perch if the battle moves forward and they need to advance to keep up with the rest of the team. Another way of thinking is putting it on an assault ranger and going straight into things with them. The added movement, the ability to leap over things in your way, and so on leads to a lot of problems being easily solvable with a sword to the face or with Rapid Fire. Either plan of action is going to work out really, and there isn't really anything bad you can do with the archon suit except not to utilize it in some way.

The proximity mine is an interesting addition to the explosive roster in Xcom2. It has a huge blast radius and is so powerful they had to nerf it a little, reducing its damage from 10 down to 8. Mines work about how you'd expect, shoot them somewhere and if an alien moves inside of its blast radius then it explodes. Whats not immediately obvious about this and I demonstrate in the video is that they are super useful for the initial ambushes on a map. The mine doesn't explode until the aliens turn meaning that when it does go off the aliens activate on their turn, rather than the players turn. What this means is that if anything lives through the ambush they only get the scramble to cover activation turn instead of getting a full turn to fight back. This can effectivly give you two turns versus the aliens, a real bonus if you find a particularly tough pod to ambush.

Also built but not getting a chance to be shown off was the Blaster Launcher which is exactly what you think it is. A homing ball of explosions that will hit the target you designate no matter what. It will avoid all obstacles in its path and strike right where you need it to, and it will seriously hurt everything it hits. As long as you have a line of sight to where you want it, it will go there. Always a great tool to bring to any mission, there's just nothing bad that can be said about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There is only one bad thing that can be said about the blaster bomb.

Especially if it's operator is a dick :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Guava sounds a little sick this video.

E: Is that what happens when a Canadian doesn't watch hockey?

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 15, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

quote:

dipshit golfball

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jade Star posted:

there isn't really anything bad you can do with the archon suit except not to utilize it in some way

So, how much did Alexandra fly around this mission?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So, how much did Alexandra fly around this mission?

I was absolutely going to have her icarus jump onto the little raised platform next to the gate, but it was a bit closer to the gate and enemies than i wanted. Aside from that, she still used it a fair bit because of all the enhanced movement distance she got out of it.

There wasn't much to do with it really, it'll be far more useful when there are buildings or terrain to navigate and she can jump up on them or launch to sniping perches.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Just one thing to note about the Icarus Jump. It breaks concealment if you use it, even if there are no enemies able to see you.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way during a mission, and had to do it without the initial concealment.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I put off on my Shadow Chamber projects long enough that Gatekeepers were on the verge of becoming regular enemies, but I got the "first encounter" dialog again when I eventually stormed the Gate site. I'm not sure if I am surprised or not that you didn't get it, as that either means you somehow did not experience every possible bug/oversight in the game or there was a bug and the dialog failed to player.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Icarus suit has two item slots? Handy.

Surprised Jade didn't just Stasis the Gatekeeper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

The Chrysalids' "burrowing melee overwatch" ability is really annoying. One way to help deal with it is to remember that Threat Assessment exists and is one of the best skills in the game. Casting it on the ranger before moving him forward helps a bit. I actually find this mission a bit annoying - it encourages a slow and boring overwatch crawling strategy. It works, but I almost wish there was a time limit.

...although the alternative strategy of getting hit every time and healing also works. Lone chrysalids just aren't a big threat at this stage of the game, especially with all the toys XCOM has.

The archon suit is ridiculously good. I often put it on supports so they can teleport into position for skulljacking. Another interesting option would be a grenadier - didn't one of Jade's grenadiers get Death from Above? Just think for a moment about the brokenness of that combo.

The proximity mine is just fun. It works quite well on stun lancers, because they very reliably charge forwards waving their stun batons. It is also great if Advent decides to drop reinforcements onto a rooftop.

Oh, and I almost forgot this:

I don't know which one of these I'd stop. They are all terrible.

• Locked thread